• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Turn ubersampling off, although it still shouldn't run like that. Even with ubersampling on I get a pretty steady 30 FPS on a GTX670, i53570K. With it off I get 60 FPS. Reinstall your drivers?

Edit: Just remembered but I think the Witcher 2 has a cutscene bug that makes them run poorly.

Mmh, drivers are kinda fresh (pc built one week ago), perfectly updated and it doesn't seem I'm having issues with any other game.

But, if it's a game issue, I guess I'm gonna turn off the ubersampling. The game is stunning enough even if sampled only once. :D

you'll probably need to videocards to play that game on ultra

like the ubersampling thing the game does I think effectively renders the game like 4 times?

This is what I set in the options:

HDcti3n.png

Just for trying it, as I'm not really in the mood for a Witcher game, so I just went with the max possible for every option just for the sake of it. :D

Witcher 2 will run at 60fps on a 780, if ubersampling is off. Ubersampling is basically just running it at 2x the res anyways, more or less.

Yup, I meant, 60fps with everything maxed out (ubersampling included). ^^

zkylon

zkylewd
yea try killing ubersampling if you want to test how much your rig can handle

I think ubersampling is more for taking pictures than anything else

Yeah, I want to love mapgames but they take so long to understand I just don't bother with them anymore.

I'm just bored of Civ V and desperately need a new game to takes its place. Gods & Kings and Brave New World both renewed my interest in Civ V, both expansions did improve the overall experience but I've played the game in every permutation possible (difficulties, map types, civilizations, victory types, etc.), I've gotten over 600 hours of enjoyment out of it but I'm bored of it now and need something else to play.

Europa Universalis is kind of obtuse but it offers some things that Civ does not, it's a different kind of game, and that really interests me. I think the time investment will be worthwhile if it's something I end up playing as much as Civ V.

You get aggressive expansion when you declare war on someone without a casus belli, when you take provinces in a peace deal or when you annex a vassal. If you either have a core or a claim on the provinces you are taking you'll get less aggressive expansion. Pay attention to the peace deal screen when in a war and it will tell you how much aggressive expansion that peace deal is causing you. It's worth noting that the aggressive expansion the game shows you is the base value, the actual aggressive expansion you get with each country is modified by their opinion of you, their opinion of the country you took provinces from and their distance from you. So, if for example, you take provinces from Aragon, Genoa won't care much, but Aragon's allies will, as will any country that named you a rival. Countries far away, like Poland, won't care either.

About improving Relations with Aragon, forget it. Diplomacy with a country that named you a rival is futile. However if you become more powerful militarily than Aragon (either because you have more provinces and a larger army or because they lost a great part of their army in a war) they might change their attitude from rivalry to threatened and they diplomacy will become effective again.

Ahhh, okay. The aggressive expansion total for completing the Reconquista was +10, I think, but I completely annexed Grenada and they had no allies so they only nations that total will be applied to are my neighbours and their opinion of me. Portugal, Navarre, France and the nations off the coast of North Africa. My relations are so high with Navarre and Portugal that it won't impact them but Morocco and Aragon will likely be more inclined to dislike me. Okay. I don't think improving Aragon's opinion of me was a total waste since they were building a military force up and blockading trade with me, I think it deflected their attention away from me to Genoa and allowed me to snap up Grenada without having to fight them. And, since I saved, I may simply declare war on them and see what happens.

Tenrius

Seeing that Silent Storm was released on Steam, I wonder why the other good Nival games weren't. Stuff like Etherlords 1-2, the Blitzkrieg series, Evil Islands, maybe even Rage of Mages. The former two are 70% off on GOG right now for anyone who's interested.

zkylon

zkylewd
Keep in mind that that user not accepting Paypal right now, I tried a few hours ago and keys only for now.
it's alright, I've been doing some math anyways and argie peso's going to shit means I can't really afford that many games anymore

I hadn't realized until just now but I'll probably won't be able to buy almost anything anymore

yipes

I'm bummed out now

I skimmed some recent pages here but couldn't find anyone talk about it:

How's the PC port of Kingdom's of Amalur? I have it on 360 and barely touched it but enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind getting it cheap this weekend on the sale if the PC port is good. Quicker loading and nicer graphics are always handy, not to mention quickly accessible without hunting for the disc each time I want to play it.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch and I simply missed it.

Edit: Turns out I was spelling it wrong in searching. Well, an answer would still be appreciated but I'll search again.

Levyne

Banned
I have a soft spot for episode 2 because I played it first, somehow. I like the air/down/break system, it was an interesting way to break up the ho-hum of turn based battles of attackattackattack, but it was just clumsily implemented.

Just beat the giant tombs area of Dark Souls, my heart rate is elevated, lol.

Derrick01

Banned
And why play something you don't actually want to play? Just don't play it, silly.

:lol

I'm pretty much obligated to play every major stealth game that comes out, even pretend stealth games like that. It being one of my all time favorite franchises means I have to play it too.

Though it's pretty sad that the thing I'm looking forward to the most about the game is gloating about how right I was. It's like Hitman all over again :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm pretty much obligated to play every major stealth game that comes out, even pretend stealth games like that. It being one of my all time favorite franchises means I have to play it too.

Though it's pretty sad that the thing I'm looking forward to the most about the game is gloating about how right I was. It's like Hitman all over again :(
Life is so hard

Cheddahz

Banned
Hitman: Absolution has become a joke between my friends and I. My best friend pre-ordered the game months before it came out (he's a big Hitman fan) and he played Absolution and hated it for....well, everything. He forced himself to play twenty hours of it and finally had to give it up. The part of it that he gets mad about the most is how fast it dropped in price

I really don't feel like the Hitman series is going to recover after Absolution, which is a damn shame

zkylon

zkylewd
I think I understand what gvaz meant with the voiceacting

chaos sounds like he's half asleep and had his soul stolen

I have a soft spot for episode 2 because I played it first, somehow. I like the air/down/break system, it was an interesting way to break up the ho-hum of turn based battles of attackattackattack, but it was just clumsily implemented.

Just beat the giant tombs area of Dark Souls, my heart rate is elevated, lol.

best part of the game for me. freaked the shit out of me, I love when the souls series just fucks with the things you cling to like the shield in tomb of giants or being able to run in blightown and world 5 in demons. so cool

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Have you played Blacklist yet ?

Derrick01

Banned
Have you played Blacklist yet ?

I just started it a couple nights ago actually. I've only done 1 main and 1 side mission so I'm nowhere near making a complete judgement yet, but I'll say that so far I've seen some pretty solid things in the game being held back by quite a few completely terrible and baffling decisions. It's way better than the all-time shit pile that Conviction was though.

edit: And my dude Jensen is in it! Completely took me by surprise running into this guy and hearing Jensen.

Tenrius

Garret is dead, it's time to move on.

Seriously though, it must be a bit depressing to live in an age when there is more diversity in video games than ever (including past releases, of course) and only do this one thing, which is all about playing games belonging to one specific type (safe AAA releases) and then judging them by standards of an entirely different game type (PC games of the late '90s, apparently), while it's entirely clear that those types are just fundamentally different and such judgements will almost always be the same.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I just started it a couple nights ago actually. I've only done 1 main and 1 side mission so I'm nowhere near making a complete judgement yet, but I'll say that so far I've seen some pretty solid things in the game being held back by quite a few completely terrible and baffling decisions. It's way better than the all-time shit pile that Conviction was though.

It's without a doubt the best one of the recent stealth games even if it isnt as good as Chaos Theory. Solid effort IMO. Not like Hitman Absolution, bleh.

Cheddahz

Banned
Seriously though, it must be a bit depressing to live in an age when there is more diversity in video games than ever (including past releases, of course) and only do this one thing, which is all about playing games belonging to one specific type (safe AAA releases) and then judging them by standards of an entirely different game type (PC games of the late '90s, apparently), while it's entirely clear that those types are just fundamentally different and such judgements will almost always be the same.

If a Thief game is coming out, it's alright to compare it to the older ones...since they are part of the same series after all (same goes for Tomb Raider and Hitman)

Garret is dead, it's time to move on.

Sure there is diversity but impressive and innovative games are still quite absent from the market.

DukeBobby

Hitman: Absolution has become a joke between my friends and I. My best friend pre-ordered the game months before it came out (he's a big Hitman fan) and he played Absolution and hated it for....well, everything. He forced himself to play twenty hours of it and finally had to give it up. The part of it that he gets mad about the most is how fast it dropped in price

I really don't feel like the Hitman series is going to recover after Absolution, which is a damn shame

6QOpYJA.png

I convinced myself it was good, and at one point I ranked it just below Blood Money.

I later realised it was a terrible, and I was ashamed of myself for wasting all that time on it.

However, I still play it every now and again, but I only do the two missions that I like (Hunter and Hunted and Shaving Lenny).

Tenrius

If a Thief game is coming out, it's alright to compare it to the older ones...since they are part of the same series after all (same goes for Tomb Raider and Hitman)

Well, they are more of modern reboots than anything. I don't think comparing a 2000 PC game and a 2014 multiplatform release is viable, because things have changed so much since then. Even it the name of the series didn't.

Sure there is diversity but impressive and innovative games are still quite absent from the market.

Are they? Maybe they are lacking from the AAA market, but the indie scene offerings were more than impressive throughout the past few years and the future is looking pretty good, too, especially with all those kickstarters.

I found Hitman Absolution pretty fun(Only game on steam I have all the achievements in!) although lacking in many aspects compared to previous games. At the same time it improved on quite a few of the actual mechanics(ie, the shooting, movement options, and so on) so I think it stands as a good base for the next game to build upon. The segmented areas seem to make it pretty clear that a lot of the way the game is designed was get to grips with their new engine, I trust IO when they say they know players disliked about the game and plan on changing for the next title. Quite a few of the missions are well designed but what really drags it down is some of the obvious filler trash like Dexter Industries.

Hell, the ending itself implies a return to form.

Well, they are more of modern reboots than anything. I don't think comparing a 2000 PC game and a 2014 multiplatform release is viable, because things have changed so much since then. Even it the name of the series didn't.

I think the comparisons are pretty useful. The new Thief might be something different, but the originals have not changed and can serve as a point of reference. Especially with the recent context of the changes from Tomb Raider old to new (which many will be familiar with now) it'll be an easy way to decide if the game is worth picking up.

I actually didn't play a lot of the old games and I picked up the new one as part of the AMD bundle/deal so I feel I can go in pretty fresh. In comparison I knew Tomb Raider was going to not be to my tastes, but I chose to buy it anyway so I can't complain.

Are they? Maybe they are lacking from the AAA market, but the indie scene offerings were more than impressive throughout the past few years and the future is looking pretty good, too, especially with all those kickstarters.

That's my point though, I love me some indie games to the point where that's practically ALL I play. I'm depressingly rarely impressed by big games these days, like The Witcher 2 was the last, nothing has topped it for me personally. PC only btw, and yes, graphics count.

That's my point though, I love me some indie games to the point where that's practically ALL I play. I'm depressingly rarely impressed by big games these days, like The Witcher 2 was the last, nothing has topped it for me personally. PC only btw, and yes, graphics count.

I know the feeling. All those games to choose from and I keep finding myself starting Risk of Rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom