• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

it was kind of embarrassing how much skyrim was basically fallout 3 in a game of thrones skin. fallout 3 was only slightly more interesting due to it's less cookie cutter story.

I'm really looking forward to getting into new vegas. If half of gaf is right on new vegas being better than fallout 3 I may actually play the other classic pc games I've missed.

You don't spend half of NV fighting rodents and roaches in sewers, so that's a positive.

_hekk05

Banned
For anyone who was struggling with Teleglitch the latest patch did make the earlier levels a bit easier, and added in a ton of new lighting effects, shadows, and special effects for various weapons so it's a great chance to jump back into the game.

Unfortunately i got stuck at level 6. I hate it when they lock me in with those 2 red robots.

I need it to go on sale!
89Uepko.png

must feel bad, grief, huh

Grief.exe

If it's an option, the game is super cheap for the consoles now and playing it on consoles is fine (since the game is better suited for a controller anyways)

alfred-nevah.gif

89Uepko.png

must feel bad, grief, huh

The pain.

It hasn't been a featured deal in well over a year, but during general sale periods it's half off and at $14.99 the difference between -50% and -75% is just $2.50.

Its goes on sale on other sites for pretty cheap quite frequently. GMG has a Sega sale going on this weekend, so hopefully it crops up.

KarmaCow

The pushing of the leaderboards in your face in BIT.TRIP Runner 2 both makes me want to play it more and drop it all together. It was fine when the scores were pretty rigid and even the bonus target at the end, but things like the loop-de-loops where there so much granularity in the scoring, giving you so much room to screw up on the perfect execution makes me want to drop before losing myself in the rabbit hole of endless restarts. Then there is the dancing system to boost points which adds another level of optimization, which is probably good for a highscore game but again, it just makes that hole even deeper. Luckily no one on my friendlist has really played the game so I managed to escape the trap by just getting through the first world.

Grief.exe

Just kind of musing here, but Namco kept saying that Dark Souls port is so bad because it was From's first time.

But if you think about that a second, how does that excuse the end product? It was Noogy's first PC port when he put Dust up on Steam and the port was perfection. Same with Image&Form games, who ported SteamWorld Dig over.

Something else was going on. You know Bandai just gave them extremely limited funds and time to get it done. Just impressive what some of these indie developers can pull off, even more so with Noogy who is just one guy.

FloatOn

New Vegas > Fallout 3

but if you can, play Alpha Protocol!

I've gone on the record here saying how much I hate Alpha Protocol. I really don't want to open that can of worms again.

Perhaps my expectations were not in the right place when I tried to play it but to keep things brief I consider Alpha Protocol janky in all the wrong ways.

I may try again since my tastes have matured a bit in the 3 years I've been playing primarily on pc.

I liked Fallout 3 when I played it but I agree. New Vegas was much better. Did you play the original Fallout games?

I think I played Fallout 2 on my first family computer but this was back when I didn't have any concept of an rpg that wasn't on a console so I quit playing it shortly after I started :/

Razorskin

----- ------
Just kind of musing here, but Namco kept saying that Dark Souls port is so bad because it was From's first time.

But if you think about that a second, how does that excuse the end product? It was Noogy's first PC port when he put Dust up on Steam and the port was perfection. Same with Image&Form games, who ported SteamWorld Dig over.

Something else was going on. You know Bandai just gave them extremely limited funds and time to get it done. Just impressive what some of these indie developers can pull off, even more so with Noogy who is just one guy.

There are a myriad of technical reasons why some games are easier to port than others. Don't compare them.

I'd say it was a bit both factors. Namco would have said "you have this unreasonable amount of time and money to do the port" and From were not experienced enough to make it happen under those restraints.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's quite obvious that From was given very little time to port the game. Scamco likely didn't want the PC version needlessly delaying the release of the DLC on the console side.

I must be in the minority as I much preferred Fallout 3 to NV. I liked that it felt lonely and desolate. NV always felt far too busy and crowded to truly feel like a wasteland.

Ban Puncher

He was away for a bit, but he came back, accepted my add, and then sold me SP for $19.
He's totally legit.

Just added and had a chat with the guy. Currently isn't taking PayPal, only doing trades for keys, but will restore PP soon.

Edit: Traded some keys in the end, worked out about the same in the end.

how the heck do they screw that up?
Different team handled the DC and well, who knows. It's just kind of interesting to look at it because with the changes made for the DC I assume they can't just go back and implant the updates from the vanilla version anymore, so with the first (and thus far only) patch they've made they were implementing their own fixes for stuff that was long since amended in the original.

JaseC

Different team handled the DC and well, who knows. It's just kind of interesting to look at it because with the changes made for the DC I assume they can't just go back and implant the updates from the vanilla version anymore, so with the first (and thus far only) patch they've made they were implementing their own fixes for stuff that was long since amended in the original.

The stuttering in the original was fixed with the May 2012 update so development on the DC started with an earlier build for no apparent reason.

Just added and had a chat with the guy. Currently isn't taking PayPal, only doing trades for keys, but will restore PP soon.

Edit: Traded some keys in the end, worked out about the same in the end.

Glad it worked out -- he did take paypal when I approached him for my copy.

--

This workshop outfit for Guacamelee is bananas:
637x358.resizedimage

zkylon

zkylewd
oh damn the momo and shion redesigns look derpy as fuck lol

It's quite obvious that From was given very little time to port the game. Scamco likely didn't want the PC version needlessly delaying the release of the DLC on the console side.
yea pretty much

a very misguided rush but I guess it was effective as sales for the game have been good nonetheless. I think if durante hadn't come along the game would've tanked pretty hard

cmon son, those are 2D games and not even remotely as complex as Dark Souls. Not trying to defend a shitty port but you get my point

Guys, I had a feeling that buying Splinter Cell Conviction was a bad idea, and in fact it probably was.

Gameplay problems apart, the game uses (the terrible) Uplay, and is a really shitty port. The performance is so bad, I don't even understand how Ubi could decide not to patch it.

I should probably stop playing it and play Chaos Theory again.

The stuttering in the original was fixed with the May 2012 update so development on the DC started with an earlier build for no apparent reason.
None of the patch notes lists it so I can't be sure which one did it but one of the early patches fixed a bug with tesselation for Nvidia cards in vanilla, and it's returned for DC, still unfixed. So yeah, I'm left to assume they started with the original release build, but some of the bugs that I saw in DC left me wondering if they started with an even earlier build than that, or if they were caused when trying to go back and implement the engine upgrades from Missing Link.

Grief.exe

cmon son, those are 2D games and not even remotely as complex as Dark Souls. Not trying to defend a shitty port but you get my point

3D or 2D you still have to port the engine over and get it rendering on different hardware configurations.

Phyreengine is natively compatible with PC, while these indie teams are small and have low budgets.

zkylon

zkylewd
not really

complexity isn't even near the issue

not having resolution options or basic keyboard and mouse functionality and shipping with gfwl has nothing to do with complexity.

it's bamco and from not giving a shit and phoning it in

durante had resolution working on launch day

bamco just didn't want to pay for QA so they just tested it worked on bamco's president's son laptop and called it a day

Phyreengine is natively compatible with PC, while these indie teams are small and have low budgets.

Indie devs also don't have the same overheads and opportunity costs.

But really I don't see that there should be much debate about this. They (From and Namco) have been pretty open that they rushed the port out as fast as they could. Hopefully everything works out better this time.

Grief.exe

Indie devs also don't have the same overheads and opportunity costs.

But really I don't see that there should be much debate about this. They (From and Namco) have been pretty open that they rushed the port out as fast as they could. Hopefully everything works out better this time.

I think they have seen their mistaken, realized the shear amount of revenue they can generate from the platform, and the sequel will be given the time it deserves.

JaseC

I've e-mailed Wizards of the Coast asking if there is any intention to release its D&D games on Steam. I'm not anticipating a particularly meaningful response but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've e-mailed Wizards of the Coast asking if there is any intention to release its D&D games on Steam. I'm not anticipating a particularly meaningful response but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

They've all got community hubs don't they? No real reason not to, money on the table etc.

I'd rebuy every single one of them again.

Nabs

So Stall pointed out that Origin updated their beta client for the first time in ages, and that it now has a feature that shuts Origin down after quitting a game. It was absolutely made with Steam and BPM in mind.

How long until EA is back?

JaseC

So Stall pointed out that Origin updated their beta client for the first time in ages, and that it now has a feature that shuts Origin down after quitting a game. It was absolutely made with Steam and BPM in mind.

How long until EA is back?

I expect it to happen this year and when it does I intend to bother EA Support for a Steam key for Crysis 2 vanilla. The fact that I own Crysis 2 and Crysis 2: ME on Origin but only the latter on Steam is unsettling to me. :p

Bluth54

Good to see it seems like EA has realized how much money they are leaving on the table by not releasing their games on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom