• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a rather comical chat with one of my mates. He asked me "Have you played Daisy yet?" which had me a bit puzzled so I asked "No, not heard of that. What's Daisy about?" "You know that zombie mod that's now available as a separate game". By this point in time I'm pissing myself laughing "You mean Day Zed you clown". Oh how the wonders of language and different pronunciations travel.

LOL

I hope you are going to tease him endlessly about this. Something like he really was playing the character Daisy from the Nintendo games. Be ruthless! *evil grin*

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
See I accidentally thought people were buying this game the first few times I heard them pronounce it that way. http://store.steampowered.com/app/12580/

Left me very confused until I got off chat with them and getting the notifications that they joined a Day Z(ed) game. Of course trying the game myself and having no fun with it what so ever also left me confused as well, but personal likes and dislikes I guess.

Copons

Wait what?

You guys pronounce it Day-ZED? I thought it was Day-ZEE, like Jay-ZEE, even though I always say "dayz" (heavily stressing the Z, because I'm Italian and I like stressing consonants).

You English people are nuts, let me tell you.

catabarez

Wait what?

You guys pronounce it Day-ZED? I thought it was Day-ZEE, like Jay-ZEE, even though I always say "dayz" (heavily stressing the Z, because I'm Italian and I like stressing consonants).

Zee is American Zed is English.

rtcn63

I always called it

MV5BMTY3ODYxNjU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI0MTU1MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Zafir

Wait what?

Well, the letter Z is pronounced differently in different places. As far I'm aware, it's pronounced Zee in American English, and Zed in British English. That said, despite being British, I've always pronounced it as Day-Zee just because I always thought that was how the developers intended it to be pronounced.

Kiru

Wait what?

Now that you mention that DayZ/Jay-Z thing:

Jay-Z had his lawyers contact Bohemia Interactive about changing DayZ‘s name to ZDay. According to DayZ developer Dean Hall, “We declined. But it did make me laugh.” Hall revealed the anecdote in his Reddit AMA.

Dr Dogg

Seeing all the Castlevania talk the last couple of pages and 2 on the horizon soon I've decided to pop LoS on. I can't remember it looking this good. Played it on the 360 yonks ago but it would have been a crime to art design not to let this game spread it's wings at higher resolutions. Shadow LoD is a bit iffy and 720p prerendered and massively aliased cutscenes don't help but it's got a lot of detail in most of the textures.

Shame EA didn't contemplate Dante's Inferno for PC at the time as that's another such like game that would be a visual treat over the console versions. That and Viseral's engine is rock solid.

Calling it Zed makes the letter Z sound so much more badass.

I pronounce it as Day Zee, too.

LOL

I hope you are going to tease him endlessly about this. Something like he really was playing the character Daisy from the Nintendo games. Be ruthless! *evil grin*

I think what made it more funny is that he has a very thick Welsh accent so zee was very drawn out. Day Zee or Day Zed, either is fine I suppose but I've always read it as Day Zed.

KenOD

Why say Z in a way that can be confused with the letter C on it's own or a "sea" when no one will ever confuse Z sounding like zed as anything else? If you have to spell out something out loud to someone, you don't want to have them mistakenly hear "zee" as "cee" and spell Zaïre as Caïre, that would be rude.
Any time I read Z written I immediately hear "zed" because that's natural for me being Scottish (not English). Growing up with my first dedicated gaming machine was the "Zed ecks" for the ZX Spectrum, not the "cee ecks" like some on this board automatically hear in their head because of how they were taught the sounds.

Now the Japanese are weird. Z can be "zee" or "zed" or "zet" depending on what sound they want. X can be the letter x with the "ecks" sound, or even stranger it can stand for Cross (like on a Playstation controller).

Of course the game is Day "cee" because that's how the creators call it and that's what I go with out of respect and chance for best understanding. Just having not heard it said outloud until last month, how was I supposed to know?

Kaleinc

Banned
I think what made it more funny is that he has a very thick Welsh accent so zee was very drawn out. Day Zee or Day Zed, either is fine I suppose but I've always read it as Day Zed.
I read this one as regular Days just as dudez=dudes.

DukeBobby

Well, the letter Z is pronounced differently in different places. As far I'm aware, it's pronounced Zee in American English, and Zed in British English. That said, despite being British, I've always pronounced it as Day-Zee just because I always thought that was how the developers intended it to be pronounced.

I'm British and I pronounce it Day-Zee, too. It rolls off the tongue better.

KenOD

Check out the Bravely Default demo on eShop. It's a full fledge and fun stand-alone title of about 6 hours with it's own story to play for free. Might convince you to get the actual game if you want a good RPG.

*impatiently waits for Ikaruga* ... Yup.

I've ruined things a bit for myself. I have other shoot-em-ups on Steam I can play, but five minutes in I just think to myself "I wish I could play Ikaruga instead' and I stop. Game can not come out soon enough.

You should try to play a game as the Ottoman empire. My first game of Eu4 was as them and I learned a lot. At the beginning you have the most powerful troops in the entire world and your neighbours don't stand a chance against you. Later in the game the Europeans will get better troops than you, but by that time you will be so big that they will avoid declaring war on you anyway. Besides, your army will always be better than the Muslims, so you can easily conquer most of Africa and Asia without having to worry too much.

If you want to learn the colonial part of the game, Portugal is a good choice. Your only neighbour is Castille and they are friendly towards you, so you don't need to worry about Europe and can happily colonize the entire world.

Okay, I was looking for some ideas of who to play after Castille. I only chose them because I've seen them being bandied about in various threads here and playthroughs as being one of the easier nations to start the game with, which is what I needed. You start in a relatively good position and it's easy to stay in that position.

Cheddahz

Banned
Check out the Bravely Default demo on eShop. It's a full fledge and fun stand-alone title of about 6 hours with it's own story to play for free. Might convince you to get the actual game if you want a good RPG.

I'll check that out tonight then (since I have nothing to play on it anyways)!

Uraizen

Banned
I've ruined things a bit for myself. I have other shoot-em-ups on Steam I can play, but five minutes in I just think to myself "I wish I could play Ikaruga instead' and I stop. Game can not come out soon enough.

Same... would be nice if Cave gave Steam a try, but I don't see that happening now. =\

Dr Dogg

I read this one as regular Days just as dudez=dudes.

Sometimes I don't know how I'm meant to be pronouncing things these days (that's the traditional days and not dayz). I go by Scrabble rules, if it's not in the (Oxford) dictionary it doesn't count.

Also the one time I played the game, there were these things. http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Zed

If Z is like "cee" in that case, would we call them seeeds? Is there a hidden Plants vs Zombies tie in I don't know about?

Well at least my madness is kind of justified. Come to think of it isn't Rocket from New Zealand? I'm pretty sure they pronounce their z's zed.

Edit: Well balls to that theory as I just watched a dev video where Rocket did indeed pronounce the game Day Zee. I guess I better apologise to my mate but hey what ever he doesn't know does hurt him ;)

DayZee as in z-ombies not zed-ombies.
I'm not even sure who's being sarcastic in this thread any more.

If you were doing it like that wouldn't it be "DayZzz as in Zzz-ombies not zed-ombies"? Or DayZee as in Zee-ombies, which sounds even worse.

Just pronounce it however you pronounce the letter "Z". It'll probably differ depending on where you're from, but neither is wrong.

Sajjaja

I bit and gabbed Deus Ex. I'm nearly done with dead space, so I'll likely move to this once I install the huge thing.

Off topic but RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman in case steamGAF hadn't heard.

What's even worse is that I watched Catching Fire last night and he got me super hyped.....

You don't say "zee-ombies", you say "zombies". Which is why the game is pronounced "Dayz", with a "z" sound substituting for an "s" sound, like "daze".

Fair point, but then people think of haze which isn't the best association.

Best to assume the Zee-ombies are all Italian so it works out.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
While we're on the topic of Zed or Zee, It's Zee-Zee Top, not zed zed Top. Zed Zed Top sounds awful and doesn't roll off your tongue like the name ZZ Top should. Plus they're from Texas. Rush's song YYZ is Why Why Zed 'cause that's how they pronounce it in Canada.

If you want to learn the colonial part of the game, Portugal is a good choice. Your only neighbour is Castille and they are friendly towards you, so you don't need to worry about Europe and can happily colonize the entire world.

My favorite nation to play as is Portugal actually because of how great expanding into the New World is with the Portuguese. In my current game of EU IV I have most of the East Coast of North and South America under Portuguese control and noone else has managed to get a foothold in the New World. Castille's too busy beating up Aragon and the French are getting conquered by the Provence. Stuff's crazy.

Copons

You don't say "zee-ombies", you say "zombies". Which is why the game is pronounced "Dayz", with a "z" sound substituting for an "s" sound, like "daze".

How cool is that you guys fought over a Z sound while I was in ETS2 speeding through every Polish speed trap those guys put in the most tricky places.

Anyway, I like Stumpo pronounciation better than any other, and because his name is red this is now the official GAF pronounciation. Praise the Canada!

Copons

Fair point, but then people think of haze which isn't the best association.

Best to assume the Zee-ombies are all Italian so it works out.

Nope. Wut? Nope.

Damn Mario and Guido Bros! In Italy we pronounce (and write) zombie exactly like you, so it's Dayz as daze/haze/whatez!

"Zombi" without the "e" is an Italianization due to the "transliteration" that we usually did until the 80s with basically every foreign word. AFAIK no one uses it anymore, except old people and those Movimento 5 Stelle (political party) ignorant supporters.

So XCOM is still making me its bitch, both figuratively and pretty literally :/. I am near the very end of my [cheaty cheaty re-load] run on Classic and have even been stringing it out with lots of unnecessary missions to get a squad of six with the special ability that is required to end the game. Then I got another battleship mission and couldn't be arsed to play it. So I decided to start a new game but this time as Classic Ironman. It seemed like a good idea at the time :(. Every time I think things are going okay and I'm getting over the hump I lose a soldier due to my own impatience and/or complacency and then before I know it I've lost all my vets and/or failed a mission with a total wipe out and am having to blood rookies again. Mutons have just turned up, I've lost 3 countries from the project, have 3 low level vets and 3 rookies and that's it for troops. Things are not looking good for old planet Earth!

That's XCOM I guess :).

*sigh* time for bed! N'night boys and girls. Be good to each other.

Dr Dogg

From what I understand there's 2 open world locations, the castle and the city. I wish Konami was more clear on it but their marketing for the game has quite frankly been atrocious and really confusing. I think they may even be in different time periods....yeah I don't have a clue lol.

Bizarre late quote but just stumbled across this article that might give you some idea of where they're going with the game world.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447382/interviews/interview-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-is-not-a-me-too-sequel/

Sounds more Zelda/Metroid Prime 2/Darksiders to me than what I'd call Metroidvania. Then again I suppose when your series has contributed to half of that name people are always going to assume it's like the games of old (despite the devs saying otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom