• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

header_292x136.jpg

Just beat War of the Human Tanks. Well I got 1 ending out of 4.
Needless to say it's a lot of fun and I plan on going back to it later on to see the other endings. Those of you who got a steam key from a bundle should actually play it rather than just idle for the cards......which seems to be everyone with time on the game. Can't judge to much though i've done the same thing with numerous games.

As for the game it's a turn based strategy game but with some interesting mechanics thrown in. The game page description mentions battleship which isn't far off. You make and decide which units to deploy before a math. Then with those units you have move them around the board to scout or attack. This is important because the entire map has fog of war. Except for where your units can directly see. However matches are pretty quick so you never feel like anything is dragging.

As for the story it's told in Visual novel type scenes. It's actually fairly cute and I found myself liking the characters pretty quickly. Especially the Human Tanks. The entire time playing all I could think of was how great of an anime this would be. With that said 1 ending took me about 4 hours. So if you went for all the ending you probably have about 16 hours of gameplay here. That's not to mention the free battles or detour challenges.

So yeah definitely worth a play if anything I said piques your fancy.
If I had bought this at 9.99 I would have had no regrets.

Copons

I have a new PC everybody!

And it took me only about 5 hours to build (still no GPU), of which:

- 40m of build-up for pulling down the CPU lever

- 1h20m for building the entire computer

- 3h to figure out what to do with the hundreds of tentacles coming out the non-modular PSU (and now I sorta understand what's all the fuss about modular PSUs... :D )

Apparently everything works fine, except the HDD led that seems to be always off (it may have something to do with the fact that I'm using an SSD as the primary drive?) and the fact that I forgot to plug the mobo speaker, but I guess I can live without it. :D

Only thing: I couldn't AT ALL install Win7. After spending 2 hours yesterday night (that led me to bed at 5AM) and another couple of hours this morning, I just settled for Win 8.1.
Fuck everything, anyone care to suggest a good and non invasive start menu replacement?
I don't really hate the new tile view, but it freaks me out whenever I press the Win key by mistake. :'(

Oh, and Spelunky runs fine on the Intel HD 4600. And by fine I mean that I die consistently with my old rig.

gabbo

I just started playing Stanley Parable last night, and this is the first time in my life I can't tell if I've reached the 'end'/ 'beaten' the game. I kind of like that... in a weird sort of way

didamangi

Apparently everything works fine, except the HDD led that seems to be always off (it may have something to do with the fact that I'm using an SSD as the primary drive?) and the fact that I forgot to plug the mobo speaker, but I guess I can live without it. :D

Did you plug the hdd led cable from your case to your motherboard? Mobo speaker is useful for troubleshooting purposes, it sounds of different kind of short and long beeps depending on the problem (cpu, ram, vga, etc)

FloatOn

Just finished Typing of the Dead: Overkill on normal. Took about 4.5 hours. The last two chapters are some of the most fucked up things I've seen in a video game:

- mother son incest with an old lady
- son switches her brain into the body of one of the hot chick main characters and continues to make out with her every chance he gets
- the brain switching process goes bad and the hot chick main character mutates into this fucked up giant tetsuo at the end of akira looking monster with swinging nasty looking tits
- after killing the floppy tit monster the son wants to kill himself by inserting himself into the womb of the dead mother monster

To clear my head from that I started up the first Trine and it's really pretty and relaxing. I'm not sure if the character switching physics platforming gameplay hook will keep me interested the whole way but I'll give it a shot. How long to beat says it only takes 5-6 hours

The-Bean

Fuck everything, anyone care to suggest a good and non invasive start menu replacement?
I don't really hate the new tile view, but it freaks me out whenever I press the Win key by mistake.

Classic Shell. I say give the tile view a go for a few days. I used Classic Shell at first for the old start menu but later decided to give the new start screen a go. It's not completely awful when you get used to it. My biggest problem with it is how 'separated' from the desktop view it feels.... like it's just been slapped on.

Li Kao

Seconding the plead for impressions! Especially if you have car mechanic experience lol

Well, if I recall correctly I read some car mechanic feedback toward a trailer or something some months ago, on RPS I think. The feeling was that the game was really simplifying mechanical tasks, but the basics were here. Now I certainly don't want a 1:1 simulation that would drown me in technicalities, but that cooled me off a little.

(Don't) Ask, and you shall receive, I found the thread I was speaking about:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/04/kick-the-tyres-of-car-mechanic-simulator-2014/

Copons

Did you plug the hdd led cable from your case to your motherboard? Mobo speaker is useful for troubleshooting purposes, it sounds of different kind of short and long beeps depending on the problem (cpu, ram, vga, etc)

Oh, nevermind, apparently I'm that dumb: I wasn't considering the actual possibility that the HDD wasn't in fact spinning at all. :D
Now that I'm downloading games there, the led works properly (even if it seems super dim, but I guess it's not my fault).

Mobo speaker will be in fact plugged when I'll get the GPU, as I'm not really eager to open the case twice a day, considering how my cable management sucks. :D

Classic Shell. I say give the tile view a go for a few days. I used Classic Shell at first for the old start menu but later decided to give the new start screen a go. It's not completely awful when you get used to it. My biggest problem with it is how 'separated' from the desktop view it feels.... like it's just been slapped on.

Yup, my problem it's exactly that one. They're to completely different UXs crammed in the same device. Probably I still have to learn all the new tricks but, for example, I don't know how to close opened tiles from the desktop. ATM I just switch to tiles view, put the mouse on the top left corner, wait for the thumbs to come out, right click, close. I hope there's an easier way, because if not I'm gonna cry. :D

Deal Alert: Total War Master Collection $17 at Gamefly, use GFDJAN25 for 25% off. Also the individual titles are $2.80, or $5.60 in the case of Shogun 2. Steam codes at least for Shogun 2, Empire, and Napoleon, not sure about the others (the individual product pages don't say).

Just received a 25% off Titanfall email from GMG.

I know this is neither Steam nor Steam (Origin via GMG), but, figured I'd mention it to check your spam folders.

Edit: Beaten like a bad puppy.

For the two people who haven't played this yet, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Limbo -- MB-FA7BC70B2FD1FEDC - Taken by Maklershed. 1 entrants total.

t1390673518z1.png

kulapik

As I said before, Crysis needs to connect to internet to load, and even if you have it it takes a lot of time to load. Ugh, EA.

That discount isn't surprising. It's going to be 25% worse without those Xbox One cloud servers.

I'm sad you don't have an avatar to quote.

Backlogger

It says "unable to add voucher". Did they start doing one use vouchers?

The email I got said it was for me only and could only be used once.

This voucher is specific to you, and you can only use it once. As with any other multiplayer focused title, it’s always better with friends, so why not gently remind them that the only way to receive these reward vouchers is to opt-into the GMG newsletters to become eligible for future great savings!

I know they sent out an email or posted a blog recently about improvements to their voucher system, so this might just be part of that. Unique, single use voucher codes

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Four hours left!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook, Serve, Delicious!, #3 -- MB-61F89198543217EE
Cook, Serve, Delicious!, #2 -- MB-52C579A462421888
Cook, Serve, Delicious!, -- MB-3C6B629912A0A42C

t1390689579z1.png

MrDaravon

Anyone played or have any impressions of Defender's Quest? The art is horrendous (IMO) and it doesn't look great graphically, but the description of it on the Steam page sounds amazing in theory.

Defender's Quest is a Tower-Defense/RPG Hybrid (Think Final Fantasy Tactics meets Tower Defense). Defender's Quest tightly focuses on three things: tactical depth, customization, and story. That means no random encounters, no spikey-haired emo kids, no forced time sinks, and no tedious, repetitive battles.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone played or have any impressions of Defender's Quest? The art is horrendous (IMO) and it doesn't look great graphically, but the description of it on the Steam page sounds amazing in theory.

It's the very best TD game out on the market bar none.

Volcynika

Defender's Quest is fantastic. Can't wait for the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom