• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropbox because through various means and tapping up friends over the years I've got 35gb of storage. That and it just works with everything I use since the begining of time. Only slight gripe I have is not being able to have multiple accounts logged in at the same time. Google Drive is alright and works great in combo with their other services like Gmail and Docs.

I have google drive installed to my steam HDD and so I keep a bunch of utilities and stuff in there... adding a new folder for game backups instead of installing dropbox software on top of everything else seemed like the best idea for me personally.

It's 15gb of space... seems like enough for me. :)

Dr Dogg

Alrighty, I think I'm going to go with dropbox for now and see if the space they offer is enough. 2gigs to start doesn't seem a whole lot, but maybe it's enough.

There's lots of things you can do on your account page to get a bit more space like adding a second computer, following their twitter account, recommending friends etc. that will gain you an extra gb so you can get in and around 3gb off the bat.

Before Steam Cloud saves were used more often Dropbox was a life save when switching machines. Combined with services like GFWL and Uplay with Steam and GSM it's saved my saves many a time when things have gone a bit pear shaped.

I have google drive installed to my steam HDD and so I keep a bunch of utilities and stuff in there... adding a new folder for game backups instead of installing dropbox software on top of everything else seemed like the best idea for me personally.

It's 15gb of space... seems like enough for me. :)

I use Google Drive for work due to how easy it is to share a folder via email. Sending an InDesign document complete with links and not have to resort to ftp is a godsend. Plus it has the added bonus of being protected by Google Authenticator.

Tizoc

Dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.
SFxT had a 'Benchmark' option, so I decided to test it out.
...It ran a short demo at 250ish FPS and when it finished it told me my system can run the game at max settings and resolution =V

Dr Dogg

Dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.
SFxT had a 'Benchmark' option, so I decided to test it out.
...It ran a short demo at 250ish FPS and when it finished it told me my system can run the game at max settings and resolution =V

SFIV and SSFIV: AE have as well and even on my Q6600 & 480 combo I was getting 140fps+. If only UMvC3 came over :(

Edit: Sod it you convinced me to install SFIV now. GFWL be damned I won't be denied fun!

This is my first give away, yay!
Edit: or NAY! wtf mystery games? :(
Games are, in order (I hope): Biding Of isaac+ dlc, Wroms Realoaded, Monaco.
Sorry!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-614468D6DB1F8458 - Taken by gwynplaine. 27 entrants total.
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-80DDE02E2ADAA18B - Taken by jonno394. 15 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-92447E06453DA7E9 - Taken by KageZero. 20 entrants total.

t1390692102z1.png

Turfster

This is my first give away, yay!

Mysterious. I'm going to disappointed if one of these isn't bad rats. ;)

Edit: god damn it, it finally happened. Steam destroyed my categories.
Edit of the edit: Hm, altho... the sharedconfig.vdf still contains my category names. Might just be the latest update.
Edit the third: Yep, they're back after a restart of Steam.

Parsnip

There's lots of things you can do on you're account page to get a bit more space like adding a second computer, following their twitter account, recommending friends etc. that will gain you an extra gb so you can get in and around 3gb of the bat.
Ah, that's good to know. Thanks.

Anustart

Guys, GUYS! Dead Space is too good for a horror game. I seriously think I'm liking this game (scares and general creep factor-wise) than I have any other game in the spooky and scary style.

No Resident Evil game has made me feel as unsafe as I feel at all times in Dead Space. I'm usually stocked full of ammo in this game, but that doesn't deter from me feeling uneasy at all. How did Visceral do it? I love it! Is Dead Space 2 going to be just as good or better once I get to it?

Mysterious. I'm going to disappointed if one of these isn't bad rats. ;)

Good thing I specified it was my first it seems (^_^;

Again:
key number 3 should be Monaco: what's yours is mine
number 2 should be Worms Reloaded
number 1 should be the binding of Isaac +dlc

Unless it's inverted...I did spend a good amount of time reading the (well made) tutorial, no idea what may have happened.
If anybody ends up with a game he didn't wanted/needed, please re-offer it to the hungry steamgaf crowd.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh, I went for 1 thinking it was Monaco. Still, easy enough to either nuke or resend if I do get Binding Of Isaac.

Dr Dogg

Guys, GUYS! Dead Space is too good for a horror game. I seriously think I'm liking this game (scares and general creep factor-wise) than I have any other game in the spooky and scary style.

No Resident Evil game has made me feel as unsafe as I feel at all times in Dead Space. I'm usually stocked full of ammo in this game, but that doesn't deter from me feeling uneasy at all. How did Visceral do it? I love it! Is Dead Space 2 going to be just as good or better once I get to it?

Anustart
The one thing I don't like
about Dead Space is
that it's almost too good
(Today, 08:36 PM)

Hahaha in all fairness I booted it up last night to have a play around with some of the AA techniques mentioned in Durante's recent thread and end up playing about an hour of it instead of "fastidiously researching". It is full of jump/cat scares but I really loved the opening hour (despite Isaac being an errand boy) but the cyclical level design and the weapons really made that game for me. Plus it has some of the best sound design in any game in a long while. 2 is great but be warned about 3 if you loved the first 2. It's more homogenised than cheap milk.

Kinda tempted to buy TitalFall for -25% off but maybe I just rather spend that money on RE4HDPC2 Electric Boogaloo

Also, MGR did other worrying things today. First it made my PC go nuts (white with RBG-lines all around screen, like the GPU had crapped out) and then it crashed the whole PC when I was idling in the pausemenu. I am thinking that I better run that memtest soon. I checked all the logs but nothing visible there. I also worry if it's because of overheating, but the first crash happened like 5 seconds in to the main menu. Anyway as a precaution I dusted my laptop off.

Thread a month status? Will 2014 be that year?

Two things: one, thank you Bram / Praying Lenny Avatar for gifting Dark Souls in a raffle during the Winter Sale. After admiring the game from afar for so long, it's been an absolute blast of an experience. One of a kind, perfect, inspiring, etc. Ten hours in I just feel like I'm getting the hang of it and then ______.

Second, I'm applying for a position at Valve and would really like to crowd source some karma from the STEAM GAF homies. I meet the qualifications well enough but my portfolio is definitely unorthodox. Still, there's a chance and I've gotta take it. No one else I know has any idea what that means, but dammit you all do! I'm going for it!

Volimar

So great with headphones. Great atmosphere.

Anustart

Anustart
The one thing I don't like
about Dead Space is
that it's almost too good
(Today, 08:36 PM)

Hahaha in all fairness I booted it up last night to have a play around with some of the AA techniques mentioned in Durante's recent thread and end up playing about an hour of it instead of "fastidiously researching". It is full of jump/cat scares but I really loved the opening hour (despite Isaac being an errand boy) but the cyclical level design and the weapons really made that game for me. Plus it has some of the best sound design in any game in a long while. 2 is great but be warned about 3 if you loved the first 2. It's more homogenised than cheap milk.

I think the sound design is what sets it over the edge for me as well.

Edit: Also, I just now figured out, in chapter 11, that I could telekinesis and pick up those boxes with the green light on them and smash them for items :/ Wish I had known this earlier lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mystery giveaways happen when you don't provide names for your games.

If your PM looking like this:
Title: register
Body:
ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
GGGG-EEEEE-TTTTT
RTUU-IOPI-FGHH

you will get mystery games.

The intended format is:
Body:
The Adventures of Shuggy - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Yumsters 2 - GGGG-EEEE-TTTT
Mortal Kombat The Movie The Game - RTUU-IOPI-FGHH

Might as well get Defender's Quest. The art style is utterly unappealing to me but so many people are praising it I might as well for $1.49. Will be curious how it stacks up to Defense Grid (which I've put over 200 hours into).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758054

before kabutor had to go and be all reasonable and shit

The OP was kinda correct though. Not many PC games push the hardware as hard as many console games do. It's either port jobs or just "yeah throw two Titans and you can run this awesome looking gif in 2fps) type of stuff. Don't get me wrong, there's no question about that PC obviously always has the best graphics, image quality and whatnot and games that look amazeballs on any hardware but console games can be more impressive in comparison.

Myshkin

25% coupon is not unlimited, claims some titles not eligible
expires 27 Jan 1600 UTC

30% coupon for following titles only:
AC: Liberation
Blackguards, BG deluxe
Dementium 2hd
GG Isuka
Gun Metal
Hitman: Contracts
MGR:R (North America only)
Might & Magic X Legacy
Rekoil
Thief, Thief Master Ed
Wooden Sen'SeY

Hope these work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Myshkin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

25%coupon (GreenManGaming) -- MB-728C3A97CC777198 - Taken by stump sock
30%coupon (GreenManGaming) limited selection -- MB-AD1FC2111B56CC39

t1390686661z1.png

hohoXD123

expires 27 Jan 1600 UTC

Blackguards, BG deluxe
Dementium 2hd
GG Isuka
Gun Metal
Might & Magic X Legacy
Rekoil
Thief, Thief Master Ed
Wooden Sen'SeY

Hope these work.

Thought the 30% code wasn't account specific:
DE1PDN-CS6BOF-PR9AVM

Echoplx

expires 27 Jan 1600 UTC

Blackguards, BG deluxe
Dementium 2hd
GG Isuka
Gun Metal
Might & Magic X Legacy
Rekoil
Thief, Thief Master Ed
Wooden Sen'SeY

Hope these work.

Why are you giving away codes that are freely available to everyone?

30% off: DE1PDN-CS6BOF-PR9AVM
25% off: 33M15F-1DGAOD-YLXBYR

So, mystery game #1 is Monaco, I guess? Entering for that one :p Thanks!

No: it should be #3 (it's the last one I send to modbot)...so sorry.

Thank you and, again, sorry for the mess.
I don't think it's explicitely specified in the tutorial, and it would seem that there are people stupid enough to assume ModBot (praise his name) was magical enough to guess the names by their keys alone (and yes, I even thought it would attach a box-art to them by itself: BELIEVE!)

Myshkin

Thought the 30% code wasn't account specific:
DE1PDN-CS6BOF-PR9AVM

Here I go. [Wasting my time again.]
There I go. Turn the page.

Why are you giving away codes that are freely available to everyone?

Because when I click on the link to see what games that code is good for it takes me to a page listing Titanfall; and people in here are giving away Titanfall codes. I don't have an email for a Titanfall code apparently.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
No: it should be #3 (it's the last one I send to modbot)...so sorry.

Thank you and, again, sorry for the mess.
I don't think it's explicitely specified in the tutorial, and it would seem that there are people stupid enough to assume ModBot (praise his name) was magical enough to guess the names by their keys alone (and yes, I even thought it would attach a box-art to them by itself: BELIEVE!)

It's a live and learn experience. You discovered how to avoid a mistake in the future, I learned how to set up a mystery giveaway, and three people are hopefully going to get games they want.

A good time all around.

Grief.exe

Anyone want my 25% off TitanFall coupon (GMG/Origin)? PM me and I'll send it over.

I'm holding steady and seeing what comes up the next month. GMG, or someone else, will assuredly have a 20% off coupon at the very least.

See if Respawn can capatalize on the EA Partners side and publish something on Steam.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

If your PM looking like this:
Body:
ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
GGGG-EEEEE-TTTTT
RTUU-IOPI-FGHH

you will get mystery games.

The intended format is:
Body:
The Adventures of Shuggy - ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Yumsters 2 - GGGG-EEEE-TTTT
Mortal Kombat The Movie The Game - RTUU-IOPI-FGHH
This basically sounds like a Bad Rats delivery system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom