• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

> Goes to Novel Translation Project
> See's project start date
> Sees project status percentage
> ...

xjx28CE.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
> Goes to Novel Translation Project
> See's project start date
> Sees project status percentage
> ...

xjx28CE.gif

I tried to warn you we just started haha, haven't even started our twitter campaign to draw some eyes to the project who may be able to help us get more accurate translations.

We do have the summaries of the first three Kajishima novels up on the site proper, they're just the same versions that have been around a while. Good stuff in there if you haven't read 'em yet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GOD DAMNIT MIHOSHI WHY ARE YOU SUCH A FAILURE

*blubbers and cries*

I want thems. give them to me when you're finished

I remember your face ;3

Arthea

I know I'm like a year late to this discussion, but for what smoky reason you would pronounce DayZ as daisy or day (zet) is beyond my understanding, as I pronounce it dayz, like in boyz, townz and thingz.

Naturally if something doesn't work, the first thing they do is go to the forums. There's a lot of people who are the Playfire Rewards BETA successfully. Having said that, it is a beta and we're the first to admit that it's not perfect. The more people that join the beta and test the rewards, the more we can work out the kinks. Every little helps :)

I think, you already have too much input from BETA users. Good luck with sorting that out.

zkylon

zkylewd
gotta say, I'm pretty surprised there's so much hate for xenosaga ep. 2

so far, I'm liking it a lot, even if they fucked up everyone's faces for some reason. but most redesigns are fine, shion's new voice is fine, the story is fine and the combat is thankfully a lot faster without the flashy unnecessary animations and the break system is pretty fun. the one thing I hate is the fucked up faces and that maybe it feels less grandiose than the first one, but I just got back on the elsa and that might change soon.

Arthea

gotta say, I'm pretty surprised there's so much hate for xenosaga ep. 2

so far, I'm liking it a lot, even if they fucked up everyone's faces for some reason. but most redesigns are fine, shion's new voice is fine, the story is fine and the combat is thankfully a lot faster without the flashy unnecessary animations and the break system is pretty fun. the one thing I hate is the fucked up faces and that maybe it feels less grandiose than the first one, but I just got back on the elsa and that might change soon.

why you like what I don't? Combat is faster? Are you serious? Doesn't it consist of mostly waiting for charging? You lost me there.
Maybe I forgot already, but combat was beyond tedious and slow as far as I can remember, not to mention boring.

I know I'm like a year late to this discussion, but for what smoky reason you would pronounce DayZ as daisy or day (zet) is beyond my understanding, as I pronounce it dayz, like in boyz, townz and thingz.

I think, you already have too much input from BETA users. Good luck with sorting that out.

I use daisy.

zkylon

zkylewd
why you like what I don't? Combat is faster? Are you serious? Doesn't it consist of mostly waiting for charging? You lost me there.
Maybe I forgot already, but combat was beyond tedious and slow as far as I can remember, not to mention boring.
it's a lot faster than xeno 1 since there's less crazy animation time. xeno 1 also had a lot of charging by guarding and boosting everyone up.

to be fair, xeno 1 boss fights were awesome, and xeno 2 boss fights are pretty lame. I feel like this will become even more apparent as the game moves on, but there was just an awesomeness to chaining like 6 turns in a row under xeno 1's combat system that xeno 2 just lacks. but for regular random encounters it's much much better and a lot more fun. kinda goes to show both systems are at its core really good (they're not that different anyways) but still pretty flawed

also, the character system in xeno 2 is much worse, even if xeno 1's was already pretty shitty already. and I hate not being able to equip weapons and armor anymore. like, wth.

but why? It's confusing this way.

Day-Zombie. I think most Americans would say 'Z' as zee and most other english speakers would say it as zed to distinguish it from zeta. But quite frankly with the prevalence of American Media in Aus. they are now interchangeable and most people especially in Video games would default to the American pronunciation. People in Europe may stick with Zed though.

I suspect only linguists care about zee vs. zed nowadays.

oipic

#Team"Days"

Ja-sek, or Jayce-see? Oh, English, you're a quirky beast. I pity and admire all for whom it is a second language.

Day-Zee for me, as much as I'd rather it be 'zed'... simply because Dean Hall has decreed it to be so.

Day-Zee for me, as much as I'd rather it be 'zed'... simply because Dean Hall has decreed it to be so.

Yep. I pronounce 'z' as zed too but DayZ is DayZee simply because that's what the creator calls it. This is like that argument where people use a hard G for .gif and actually believe the guy who invented the damn thing is wrong.

catabarez

Yep. I pronounce 'z' as zed too but DayZ is DayZee simply because that's what the creator calls it. This is like that argument where people use a hard G for .gif and actually believe the guy who invented the damn thing is wrong.

The problem with that is the pronunciation of Z changes based on the region. gif is a whole other thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
You know what's funny, in my memory it's other way around, 2 battles are slower. That just might mean that I enjoyed 1st combat more and I do think that the first one is a better movie ups mean game.
well I'm not really arguing that 2 is better, I'm just surprised people hate this game so much when to me it feels like it's mostly alright

I'm confused about what's so awful about xeno 2

Arthea

well I'm not really arguing that 2 is better, I'm just surprised people hate this game so much when to me it feels like it's mostly alright

It's not always easy to explain, it's more of a sum of little annoyances, but if one enjoys it less, it doesn't mean one hates it. I don't like it, but don't hate it either.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not always easy to explain, it's more of a sum of little annoyances, but if one enjoys it less, it doesn't mean one hates it. I don't like it, but don't hate it either.

well I've been told in this thread to skip it or to watch it on youtube and I read on wikipedia game informer said this was "devil may cry 2" bad so I was expecting much much worse

well I've been told in this thread to skip it or to watch it on youtube and I read on wikipedia game informer said this was "devil may cry 2" bad so I was expecting much much worse

You are heading down the path of being the guy who likes Xenosaga Episode 2. Don't be that guy, there is still time to turn back.

It is the biggest load of crap put into a videogame ever. And I've played all of Dinner Date.

Uraizen

Banned
You are heading down the path of being the guy who likes Xenosaga Episode 2. Don't be that guy, there is still time to turn back.

It is the biggest load of crap put into a videogame ever. And I've played all of Dinner Date.

Reading that brings a smile to my face.
I gifted it to a friend.

zkylon

zkylewd

is there something I'm missing? like seriously what the fuck is wrong with this game?

and I've played all of dinner date too. twice.

Dr Dogg

What have I started? It's the end of DayZ!

at gamersgate Football Manager 2014 -50%
I don't really remember is it good price or not at this point
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FM2014/football-manager-2014

Retail here has dropped to £20, £15 in some places so a few of the DD places are closing the gap. GMG had it at 50% off during Christmas. From my mates who have bought 2014 they have said it's not much different for 2013 asides from transfer updates. If you're buying to collect I'd wait and if you're buying to play I'd weigh up how important having the latest updates are related to the price you'll pay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ja-sek, or Jayce-see? Oh, English, you're a quirky beast. I pity and admire all for whom it is a second language.

The latter. Variant of my first name + initial of my surname. ;)

at gamersgate Football Manager 2014 -50%
I don't really remember is it good price or not at this point

Better off waiting for a sale on Nuuvem. The BR sub is still region-locked at the activation level but Sega removed the onlyallowrunincountries flag.

Arthea

is there something I'm missing? like seriously what the fuck is wrong with this game?

and I've played all of dinner date too. twice.
too funny

nah, you are fine, I know several people that like Xeno 2 for some odd reason, it just works for less people than other 2 games.

Anteater

Outside of the Albedo arc in the first disc and the ending, they completely changed the script so there were absolutely nothing interesting left, none of the foreshadowing from ep1 connects, new characters come and die with nothing interesting to contribute, nothing was resolved by going back to old miltia (ironically you go back again in 3), so it didn't connect that well with ep1 and most of the game was shortened and whatever left were incredibly shallow.

A lot of changes were also made to existing script that they decided to keep, like the out of character decision Juli Mizrahi made during Momo Encephalon where she said to destroy Momo's memory, some of sakura's backstory were taken out etc.

Most of the background music were also terrible.

The only good thing about the game was the combat system which was quite ok to play.

zkylon

zkylewd
Outside of the Albedo arc in the first disc and the ending, they completely changed the script so there were absolutely nothing interesting left, none of the foreshadowing from ep1 connects, new characters come and die with nothing interesting to contribute, nothing was resolved by going back to old miltia (ironically you go back again in 3), so it didn't connect that well with ep1 and most of the game was shortened and whatever left were incredibly shallow.

A lot of changes were also made to existing script that they decided to keep, like the out of character decision Juli Yuirev made during Momo Encephalon where she said to destroy Momo's memory, some of sakura's backstory were taken out etc.

Most of the background music were also terrible.

The only good thing about the game was the combat system which was quite ok to play.
well this is all I've played so that sort of explains it. like so far nothing in the story has been subpar compared to xeno 1. it's still fun philosophical nonsense with crazy names and god and space internet and xenogears fan service and mechas. it's great.

but I guess it's all downhill from now.

fortunately my good friend frameskip will help me defeat any boringness the game can come up with

Anteater

well this is all I've played so that sort of explains it

I guess it's all downhill from now.

fortunately my good friend frameskip will help me defeat any boringness the game can come up with

yep, it's still worth going through for the ending unless you just hate playing it, plus the game is short

I wouldn't say it's absolutely terrible from here on, but there are also nothing interesting :p You mostly go through locations but there aren't much to them.

Gvaz

Banned
Ending boss of xenosaga 2 isn't really even a boss. You literally cannot lose. If you die,
albedo just rezes you anyways until you kill him.

There is an actual boss just before him.

Also I don't like having rare/exclusive items on enemies/bosses that you have to steal. It's dumb.

I like the skills system of 3 though. There is a level up system for attacks, especially mech attacks, but there is not nearly enough enemies in order to level them up past like...5 for some of them unless you grind some areas for hours upon hours (and the best site is a mostly empty large area) Ironically they reach level 25 though. I cheated them to 25 and there was pretty much no damage increase whatsoever. (though I might have fucked up and just changed the displayed level no the actual level, which is possible)

Also you can go up to 99 but there is literally no reason to go that high and you'll never reach it. I put on x2 xp and got to level 68. Bosses are not a challenge, at all. I have the guide but never really had to use it for the bosses except for cursory glances.

Man, the SuperBowl really slows down this thread. I didn't think all you guys are into "sports".

I think it was because of the weekend and people decided to go out or spend some time with family/friends, or maybe they are playing their games bought during the last sale. xD

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they make the Z a capital if it was meant to be pronounced Dayz then? xD

Bah, I don't know why I'm even continuing this conversation, lol!
Same reason I made the M in my nick a capital even though it's not meant to be pronounced "em": aesthetics and coolness factor.

Though to be honest, I call it Day Zeta (with "zeta" being the Spanish pronunciation of the letter Z), so I don't even know anymore.

Arthea

I think it was because of the weekend and people decided to go out or spend some time with family/friends, or maybe they are playing their games bought during the last sale. xD

seems really far fetched!

so, when is spring sale?
it's funny, there is no denying that!

oipic

The latter. Variant of my first name + initial of my surname. ;)

You know that, I know that, but if DayZ can so easily be perceived to be pronounced 'days' (and the capitalisation of the 'z' ignored), then any wacky thing is possible with English... which was my poorly-made point. ;)

Slow thread. :)

On a separate note, Max Payne 1 still looks surprisingly good - but golly, it's a bit old-school difficult. Much quick save mashing required.

Tellaerin

but why? It's confusing this way.

Because "Day Z(ee)" is like "World War Z". Z(ee)-for-"zombie". Dayz-as-in-"days" doesn't sound like it has anything to do with zombies. It makes me think of soap operas like "Days Of Our Lives", which is not what I think the developers wanted to evoke. >.>

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You mean I've been calling you Rio-Naam wrongly all this time!?
Nope, that's actually right. It's supposed to be "Rio" like "river" in Spanish (or Rio de Janeiro), and "naaM" like the ending of "Vietnam" (pronouncing the A a bit longer is optional).

And for what it's worth, it's not a woman's nickname!

Arthea

Because "Day Z(ee)" is like "World War Z". Z(ee)-for-"zombie". Dayz-as-in-"days" doesn't sound like it has anything to do with zombies. It makes me think of soap operas like "Days Of Our Lives", which is not what I think the developers wanted to evoke. >.>

but you see, that's where your are wrong, World War Z is not World WarZ, while DayZ is the same word, so unless you pronounce DooM, di oo em, instead of doom, there is no reason to call dayz - daisy and no way daisy sounds anything like zombies anyway. It's ok to call it Day Zombies though.

Seems legit
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom