• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

And it's done
Meet one of most devilish games on steam

iXzmSFCPqtXhi.png

iqKbZ0tUXbOko.png

The prized HOARD goes to our future Sega President!

Sorry Jasec, one of deciding factors was that you already have this game, while Panda doesn't!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And it's done
Meet one of most devilish games on steam

The prized HOARD goes to our future Sega President!

Sorry Jasec, one of deciding factors was that you already have this game, while Panda doesn't!

Haha, that's okay, I wasn't looking to win anything.

Edit: Still no reply from Longbow. :( I hope I wasn't ignored.

I like the way you think. ;)

I shall be the Emperor of New Belgium, which encompasses all of Europe. Fries will be the national dish, beer will the the national drink. It will be regarded as a terrestrial paradise, where the streets will be paved with chocolate and the State will be forever blessed by an eternal Summer Sale.

Arthea

I shall be the Emperor of New Belgium, which encompasses all of Europe. Fries will be the national dish, beer will the the national drink. It will be regarded as a terrestrial paradise, where the streets will be paved with chocolate and the State will be forever blessed by an eternal Summer Sale.

sounds too good, to be honest, you aren't telling something!

JaseC

Haha, your post combined with your avatar instantly brings to mind this:

HI93ifI.jpg

sounds too good, to be honest, you aren't telling something!
Days were filled with bliss, sex and free games. All would rejoice, but none would dare think about the dark cost that came with the Empire's freedom from the everlasting Internet Wars. In secrecy, below New Belgium, lies the power network supplying the land with free energy. There dwell the ancient specters of those who ventured to deep into the rabbit hole of Steam Sales. Emaciated figures, forever chasing the cheapest deal, are trapped in a giant wheel wedged in the Heart of the Earth itself. They are trapped, forever doomed to make the wheel turn, but on their minds will always be the Steam sales.

The first of these Steamwraiths is known as the Witch-King of Bellevue. Ancient records named him Gaben, but he was corrupted by Steam's power, and imprisoned for the benefit of all mankind.

At the end of days, these Steamwraiths will burst free from their subterranean prison and wreak havoc upon the world once more. All shall fall.

Haha, your post combined with your avatar instantly brings to mind this:

HI93ifI.jpg

In the land known as Ash-Pit, formerely named Bellevue, these chimps will be gathered to quickly write code for the games needed to fuel the Steam sales. Millions of Bad Rats sequels will follow. All will be bought.

Grief.exe

The only thing that worries me about Southpark is that it has an EULA that contains the same language as the EULA's that contain Uplay

I can't find any counterexamples such as Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Rocksmith, or Rayman Origins since they don't seem to have EULAs.

THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT MAY BE PROTECTED BY DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE (“DRM SOFTWARE”). IN SUCH CASE, THE USER HEREBY AGREES, ACKNOWLEDGES AND CONSENTS TO THE FOLLOWING REGARDING THE DRM SOFTWARE: (I) THAT THE INSTALLATION OF THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT WILL CAUSE THE DRM SOFTWARE TO BE INSTALLED ON THE USER’S COMPUTER; (II) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY LIMIT THE NUMBER OF INSTALLATIONS OF THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT; (III) THE DRM SOFTWARE MAY INSTALL ON THE USER’S COMPUTER ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS REQUIRED FOR COPY PROTECTION; AND (IV) DURING THE INSTALLATION AND/OR THE FIRST LAUNCH, AN ONLINE CONNECTION MAY BE REQUIRED TO UNLOCK THE MULTIMEDIA PRODUCT THROUGH THE DRM SOFTWARE. IN NO EVENT SHALL UBISOFT BE LIABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THE COMPONENTS THAT MAY BE INSTALLED ON THE USER’S COMPUTER BY ANY DRM SOFTWARE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THE DRM SOFTWARE APPEARING DURING THE INSTALLATION OF THE GAME.

That's more like it. Only.... now it sounds too bad.
We need balance!

The Glorious Nation of New Belgium will, in cooperation with the Empire of Australia, build a ship to take humanity to a new planet. The planet was chosen by New Belgium and named by Australia: as such, it shall forevermore be known as Saoirsetopia. On this new world, Saoirse.gifs will be the standard form of currency. The human race shall live, and evolve, in peace, while the Earth will smoulder and burn as its resources are consumed by the everlasting hunger of the Steamwraiths.

JaseC

The only thing that worries me about Southpark is that it has an EULA that contains the same language as the EULA's that contain Uplay

I can't find any counterexamples such as Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Rocksmith, or Rayman Origins since they don't seem to have EULAs.

The EULAs of Gunslinger (Steamworks) and Origins (DRM-free) are exactly the same, word for word. (Well, the latter has a tidbit at the very end about the MS Visual C++ redist, but that's it.)

JaseC

So they also have the DRM clause in the EULA, despite not requiring Uplay on Steam. Excellent, one less thing to be worried about.

Since Ubi is being cagey on the matter I think the smoking gun will be GMG's listing. In fact, I imagine that's why GMG isn't selling the game just yet.

You've obviously been feeding them quiche.

You're probably right :(. I thought it was because they were all really low level if not complete noobs so the Muton roar made them all plop their pants but hey, what do I know? I now have 0 troops and no money to recruit some more. Somehow I think I know which way this particular playthrough is going! :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Buying a tower defense game for my dad. Best option for beginners?

Kingdom Rush is a good "starter" tower defense game.

Zeknurn

@SteamDB: The latest #Steam Beta build added a ton of stuff related to Music! We'll let you know if we find a way to enable it.
BfkNnS3CMAA6-Vh.png:large

I'm looking forward for them to roll it out for SteamOS.

edit: Here's the notes

Steam Client Beta Update - February 3rd
3 FEBRUARY - SLOUKEN
We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

General
Fixed bug forcing Japanese text input to hiragana mode on focus change
Fixed repeated crashing in GameOverlayUI.exe when running as Administrator

Linux
Added error message if you failed to connect to the audio service when in the Audio settings page in Big Picture

In-Home Streaming
Fixed Steam client discovery on Windows systems with multiple network interfaces
Fixed audio capture on Windows Vista
Fixed a crash in multi-threaded D3D10/11 games like Tomb Raider
Turned on the Steam overlay for streaming even if it's off in the settings
Fixed mouse cursor visibility in the Steam overlay
Fixed mouse cursor teleporting after being hidden and re-shown by the game
Improved accuracy of latency measurement for asynchronous capture methods
Fixed issue on Mac OS X where pressing Escape would pop the streaming client out of fullscreen mode
Audio is muted on the remote computer while streaming
Pressing Guide+Y to toggle the stats overlay no longer brings up the Steam overlay
Added support for DXVA2 video processing for accelerated display on Windows

JaseC

He said beginners. PJM gets rage inducing due to the trial and error.

I'm not overly familiar with the game, hence the "maybe". I've actually owned it on the PS3 for years but when I did play it for a short while way back when I quickly realised tower defence wasn't really my thing. ;)

I'm not big into Tower Defense -- but maybe Pixeljunk Monsters? I know it can be challenging if you go for the perfect clears, but I think it has co-op, so you could play with him until he gets the hang of it.

So they also have the DRM clause in the EULA, despite not requiring Uplay on Steam. Excellent, one less thing to be worried about.

I'd prefer Steamworks too, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker if it ends up being Uplay... are you concerned because you just don't like Uplay or because of a specific reason?

Damn 6 at once? That could induce real panic in a player.

Nah, I've known that this playthrough is doomed since yesterday. I'm just limping along to the bitter end for a bit of masochistic pleasure :). I'll get to see the ace 'bad ending' soon and then I can start a fresh Classic Ironman attempt. Hopefully this time I'll remember that the slightest mistake can lead to a total team wipeout and play with more care. If I can keep some vets alive long enough to level up without being badly wounded constantly then I might be able to endure the Muton hump and actually get into the game proper this time. Getting lasers and carapace aren't much good if they're all callow noobs! Right, time to get back to it for the lulz.

The_Monk

Defense grid is very friendly.

This also gets my vote. The game is kind to explain new weapons and how upgrading, selling, etc works and the learning curve is good. It took me around 10 hours to finish the game and I believe that if you send them an email they will give you a code to add some sort of DLC Community Levels. I think you can do it in-game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been a bit out of the loop for the past few days - did Valve ever give any kind of statement as to why they removed achievements from the store pages?

I'm wondering if it's something they'll be adding back soon (it's a bug) or if it's permanent thing that I can fix with Enhanced Steam.

what was the verdict on human revolution director's cut for people who own the original?

heard some shit about how the graphics were downgraded or something and new glitches were introduced

Well that all unravelled satisfyingly quickly! :) Apparently soldiers are needed to fight a war. Good to know.

Right soldier, no time to sit there feeling sorry for yourself. We've got a war to win!

Sir, yes sir!

Grief.exe

I'd prefer Steamworks too, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker if it ends up being Uplay... are you concerned because you just don't like Uplay or because of a specific reason?

Games that force layered, poorly implemented DRM clients such as Uplay reduce the value of a game considerably.

I like to avoid Uplay as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom