• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where's all this talk of EA returning to Steam coming from, anyway?

Chiefly from a recent client update that added an option to have Origin close after exiting a game, thus effectively turning it into a launcher not unlike Uplay.

note to self: don't fuck with evilore

don't fuck with evilore and really don't make fun of his self pics!

:p

Not if the History Exam ask's about Henry the Fifth's reign and he goes on a long tirade on how his Elizabeth employed various Serf's in pleasures of debauchery to secretly sleep with his concubines and destroy his credibility by secretly gossiping to his subjects on his adverse sexual orientations.

EDIT: All the while, Henry the Fifth, secretly tumbles with his Aunt every few fortnites, while plotting to take Elizabeth's throne by way of spreading declarations via Missionaries that Elizabeth has a puffy vagina.

EDIT 2: I should stop...

No, you really, really shouldn't! :eek:

Why was school history so boring? :(

Well, that was not nice, putting all GAFfers in one bag. :/

Indeed and he may well have been banned for just that but his response sealed the deal.

I wish xcom enemy unknown would get a deep discount.

It's been on sale pretty frequently. Has it not been on your radar until now?

The only real 'issue' I see is that can quickly clutter up the thread. Probably should have entries PM'd to be entered, and then post the top 3 or something after the time is expired.

Rather that clutter than 99% of the other off topic clutter.

Anteater

omg-catktqa8.gif

speaking of origin, I actually like the look of the client, I sometimes even launches it just to look at it for a minute.

but I've never bought anything from the origin store

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The console version literally made me sick but after three years of owning a PS3 copy, I can finally play Enslaved. No shakes, only PC time now. And they dropped the film-grain, yay!
And boy, is this game pretty. I know, I know. The texture quality might be poor and it could use some more AA, but besides that it looks great. Especially the art-direction and facial expressions. Feels really good at 60 FPS as well.

I'm really liking the game! Just completed chapter 4. Loving the pacing and structure. Jumping around, collecting some orbs, smashing some mechs. And the level-design is fantastic. Checkpoints can be a bit irritating, though.

Thanks Amazon! ^^

Dolor

Chiefly from a recent client update that added an option to have Origin close after exiting a game, thus effectively turning it into a launcher not unlike Uplay.

Oh wow, I didn't even know about this (I guess I should catch up on this thread before I post, but you guys are so proficient at posting!). Great news.

Weirder than George Washington with an empire in asia and building the sydney opera house in New York?

Fair point. I guess I am ok with those because it doesn't affect the strategy as much, but having to only have one tank on each tile ended up being too distracting from the core strategy. Just me though. I am quite glad that Civ V is popular in its new form.

It depends what you mean by like others. I played Civ 2 for several years and once 36 hours non stop, not even counting how many all night long, I never before or after was so addicted to the game, I still have hard time stopping playing Civ 5 if I start, not on the level of Civ 2, thanks Odin for that.

Yeah, I played Civ V for 40+ hours, so it's not like I hated it. I just played Civ II, III and IV for easily double or triple that time.

Arthea

Well, Uplay nicely asked me to fill the survey, about how much I don't enjoy their service, while Origin never did so. You see? They are different (><)

Jawmuncher

I agree, it was fun watching all those entries, however Dino Crisis is still not on Steam and that contest only gave me more hype. I have such terrifying nostalgia for that game. It was truly scary for me the first time I played even if I know there are more scarier games. I blame those sounds/soundtracks that increased the tension.

It's Dino Crisis 15th anniversary this year.
I hope capcom can at least give us a rerelease on steam to celebrate. though they'll probably pull a mega man and forget it exists.

Arthea

Don't know if it was posted anywhere, but since it's relevant to steam, here it goes. It seems the first Trails game was little delayed. How much little is unknown, still can be it'll reach us this winter, at least that's what I've read on Xseed forums.

Faabulous

Don't know if it was posted anywhere, but since it's relevant to steam, here it goes. It seems the first Trails game was little delayed. How much little is unknown, still can be it'll reach us this winter, at least that's what I've read on Xseed forums.

Last year they said december, I was wondering if it would still come out since december is kind of not here anymore. It's good to know it's still coming. I will double dip on that and SC.

Interfectum

This could be good news. Maybe EA has decided it likes money again and realizes there is no real future for Origin as a PC storefront.

Arthea

Last year they said december, I was wondering if it would still come out since december is kind of not here anymore. It's good to know it's still coming. I will double dip on that and SC.

I think they said 2013 winter, but they had in mind winter 2013-14, so theoretically it's not late yet, although it was delayed somewhat. It's coming, they seem to be more concerned about a second game, as it's their largest project yet.

Dolor

I think I am a little too excited about this news.

I did a search and couldn't find a source to this, but is there a link to something?

Add this evidence to the rest pointing to EA's Origin platform not matching Steam's which implies them potentially returning to Steam:

• EA continues with tons of sales on Steam
  • EA's recent PC releases have been lackluster (Simcity, BF4, etc)
  • EA saying publicly last year that they were interested in making Origin into more of a service than a storefront
  • EA's investor calls have stopped going into detail about PC or Origin growth implying there isn't a good story to tell
  • Steam's continued surge in membership (15% in 3 months) and revenue (62% YoY)
I searched, and there didn't seem to be any thread on this, but does anyone else think that this might be worthy of its own PSA thread? I could imagine quite a few people might be interested in the potential for EA games coming back to Steam, and if it is more widely known, it may put more pressure on EA to go ahead with any plans they have sooner.

Faabulous

I think they said 2013 winter, but they had in mind winter 2013-14, so theoretically it's not late yet, although it was delayed somewhat. It's coming, they seem to be more concerned about a second game, as it's their largest project yet.

Oh man, I'm so hyped for SC. Loved the first Trails on the PSP, but it ends on a infuriating cliffhanger. Day 1 for both games on steam. Hope to see them soon.

I searched, and there didn't seem to be any thread on this, but does anyone else think that this might be worthy of its own PSA thread? I could imagine quite a few people might be interested in the potential for EA games coming back to Steam, and if it is more widely known, it may put more pressure on EA to go ahead with any plans they have sooner.

Isn't it better to do a thread when it actually happens? It might not, and we would only be making fool's of ourselves.

Arthea

Oh man, I'm so hyped for SC. Loved the first Trails on the PSP, but it ends on a infuriating cliffhanger. Day 1 for both games on steam. Hope to see them soon.

Day 0 for the first game here, I would even beta test it, or buy early access, whatever if it gets me the second game! Finnish or not, I have to get both of them.
I so wish the first one would sell great on steam, and second one and all after that! :)

edited: I really hope that Xseed knows they need to add cards and achievements to boost sales, especially cards.

Smash88

Banned

Just to chime in. If you don't see his avatar gone, he wasn't perma-banned. But since he pissed off Evilore, it could be a while.

Never argue with a mod, even if you are right.

I'm pretty sure that's a bug and not an indicator of a permaban.

Perma-bans resulting in the removal of a user's avatar is a myth -- in truth it's just a bug that occasionally occurs and isn't tied to the length of a ban.

Oh man, I'm going to miss him if this is true. :(

JaseC

I think I am a little too excited about this news.

I did a search and couldn't find a source to this, but is there a link to something?

For some reason it's not listed among the client update notes but I posted an image yesterday:

Edit edit: Here's the auto-exit option in the (digital) flesh:
originwvyjh.jpg

Just to chime in. If you don't see his avatar gone, he wasn't perma-banned. But since he pissed off Evilore, it could be a while.

Perma-bans resulting in the removal of a user's avatar is a myth -- in truth it's just a bug that occasionally occurs and isn't tied to the length of a ban.

def sim

I'm pretty sure that's a bug and not an indicator of a permaban.

JustinBB7

I can finish my mass effect collection on steam if it happens. Though only for like 5 bucks. Same with Dead Space 3 and Battlefield 3. Not gonna touch 4.

Still, needing origin like a uplay thing anyway still sucks, not to forget about the horrible battlelog system for battlefield..

But let's see if anything actually happens first, I've been fine without those games and not giving EA any money ever since they made origin, I'll be fine if they don't come back to steam. Only thing I would REALLY miss would be Mirror's Edge 2

r3n4ud

Have at it folks!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hero Siege -- MB-7B1E58F083E55D5D - Taken by Smash88. 7 entrants total.

t1391440188z1.png

Faabulous

Day 0 for the first game here, I would even beta test it, or buy early access, whatever if it gets me the second game! Finnish or not, I have to get both of them.
I so wish the first one would sell great on steam, and second one and all after that! :)

edited: I really hope that Xseed knows they need to add cards and achievements to boost sales, especially cards.

They did achievements for Ys, you'd expect they put them in FC too. Cards are a different matter, but I think they might.

Arthea

I can finish my mass effect collection on steam if it happens. Though only for like 5 bucks. Same with Dead Space 3 and Battlefield 3. Not gonna touch 4.

Still, needing origin like a uplay thing anyway still sucks, not to forget about the horrible battlelog system for battlefield..

But let's see if anything actually happens first, I've been fine without those games and not giving EA any money ever since they made origin, I'll be fine if they don't come back to steam. Only thing I would REALLY miss would be Mirror's Edge 2

I'm in the camp: I can live without all EA games, but Ubi games... I cry for them every day. Uplay isn't going away for this reason alone, ever. I waited long enough to know this to be true :(

edited: talking about Hero Siege. Anyone got their steam key from Indie Royale?

Dolor

Isn't it better to do a thread when it actually happens? It might not, and we would only be making fool's of ourselves.

Well opinions vary, but I think that them adding that functionality is something that has actually happened. I would guess if I am at EA, and I see a lot of comments over something as small as adding that functionality that it might make them work that much faster to complete it. Alternatively, if there is a collective "meh" with this change, maybe they'll think that Steam support isn't really that important to most people and put their people on other projects. I have no idea what their thinking is, but I don't think either of those things is crazy.

For some reason it's not listed among the client update notes but I posted an image yesterday:

Thank you.

Yeah, I have been surprised how little I have missed EA's games too since they left Steam, but I would still be excited about more options. And who knows, there's always the chance that EA turns things around and delivers an amazing game (e.g. maybe Titanfall?) that would be nice to be able to get on Steam.

Either way, I'm not wed to the idea of an OT on it or anything, but I do think it's a pretty big deal.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I have been surprised how little I have missed EA's games too since they left Steam, but I would still be excited about more options. And who knows, there's always the chance that EA turns things around and delivers an amazing game (e.g. maybe Titanfall?) that would be nice to be able to get on Steam.

Either way, I'm not wed to the idea of an OT on it or anything, but I do think it's a pretty big deal.

It helps that EA has gotten much worse since they left Steam. Bioware and Dice have both gone down hill, they released a broken SimCity game.

It just keeps getting worse and worse.

That's what makes it so good, no?

Yes. When you stop to think how many praised franchises Capcom owns and they barely acknowledge they exist it's so sad, I hope some day a Capcom employee discover the secret room where all these franchises are kept hidden and bring them to the light.

I'm in the camp: I can live without all EA games, but Ubi games... I cry for them every day. Uplay isn't going away for this reason alone, ever. I waited long enough to know this to be true :(

I'm with you on that. Thankfully I havn't had too many issues with UPlay yet, but i'm sure it'll happen sooner or later

knocks on wood

Is South Park: Stick of Truth really going to have Steam achievements? It says "Steam Achievements" on the store page, but all of the other Ubisoft games don't have achievements.

Derrick01

Banned

Part of the reason why I didn't care too much about EA leaving is because they almost never make anything that isn't the most generic and homogeneous game of its genre. If anything I was more afraid of them possibly setting a precedent with the other major publishers but it seems like Steam's popularity grew too much for anyone else to feel ballsy.

It would be nice to have Mass Effect 1 and 3 in my library to go along with 2 though.

SparkleMotion said:
Is South Park: Stick of Truth really going to have Steam achievements? It says "Steam Achievements" on the store page, but all of the other Ubisoft games don't have achievements.

Nobody knows if it'll be steamworks but it seems like it's leaning towards it happening. It's not a 1st party, internally developed Ubisoft game.

Faabulous

The only thing that upsets me about Ubisoft is that now the games they sell on Nuuvem no longe activate on steam, so all those sweet promos are wasted. Don't really care for their games, last one I bought was Far Cry 3 and it wasn't even that fun.

JaseC

ITAD's wishlist tracker just informed me that Injustice is 75% off ($12.49) over at GMG. I'd jump on it myself but there doesn't appear to be a general-use 20% coupon code to knock it down to $10.

Durante

I'm sure they'll add cards. Everyone and their mother add cards these days. It's just a few images and some text, it would be silly not to.

Grief.exe

Ubisoft doesn't force Uplay on its 3rd party developers, there is a good possibility it will have achievements and won't have Uplay integration.

Milamber

I'm sure they'll add cards. Everyone and their mother add cards these days. It's just a few images and some text, it would be silly not to.

They should make it insanely difficult too. Like, a 2 card drop game with 20 cards to complete for a badge.

milena87

Possibly... it's an Obsidian game after all. They even give a Steam key with the retail copy.

And that reminds me that I haven't preordered the game yet.

JustinBB7

It helps that EA has gotten much worse since they left Steam. Bioware and Dice have both gone down hill, they released a broken SimCity game.

It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Pretty much, all of the recent games I would buy from them on Steam have something wrong with them.

Mass Effect 3 - Origin integration, obvious time constraints with rushed ending.
Dead Space 3 - Almost forced co-op, more action than horror, pretty much killing the game.
Battlefield 3/4 - Battlelog, bugs, expansions out the ass and 4 to me just looks like a minor upgrade from 3.

Every game I would want has bad stuff going on with it. If they do come to steam I would only buy them with a heavy discount. Still can't believe how much they fuck things up.

JaseC

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean the game will be Steamworks in the general sense: Rocksmith 2014 also has Steam achievements, while Blood Dragon and the F2P Might & Magic game have cards. Having said that, as I noted yesterday Ubi doesn't thrust Uplay upon its external development partners and since the game began life as a Steamworks title there's a good chance this is still the case.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ubisoft doesn't force Uplay on its 3rd party developers, there is a good possibility it will have achievements and won't have Uplay integration.

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily mean the game will be Steamworks in the general sense: Rocksmith 2014 also has Steam achievements, while Blood Dragon and the F2P Might & Magic game have cards. Having said that, as I noted yesterday Ubi doesn't thrust Uplay upon its external development partners and since the game began life as a Steamworks title there's a good chance this is still the case.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

You'd think these motherfuckers would know it's a selling point and make sure to remind us at every opportunity.

Dolor

Part of the reason why I didn't care too much about EA leaving is because they almost never make anything that isn't the most generic and homogeneous game of its genre. If anything I was more afraid of them possibly setting a precedent with the other major publishers but it seems like Steam's popularity grew too much for anyone else to feel ballsy.

It would be nice to have Mass Effect 1 and 3 in my library to go along with 2 though.

Yes, this was my fear as well, but I think enough of the mid and small developers know that their exposure through Steam is a lot more than they could get through their own marketing. I would guess EA is realizing this is true even for them.

It's baffling to me, but I think card adoption is still a bit hit and miss. A number of games have been released recently without them, and some that had cards now have sequels without cards (Walking Dead is the one example that comes to mind). I agree though that for the amount of work involved that they should be a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom