• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should add visualisers to Steam workshop then they'd have a pretty cool feature. Hopefully it has some hooks to the Steam API to tell a game to turn off the in game sound track if you're listening to a custom one.

oh, the music player interface looks pretty neat. Not sure whether I will get much use of it since I rarely play games where I want to listen to my own music but sure.

I wonder if there's an option to have Steam broadcast what you're listening to, to your friends list, like the MSN Winamp plug-ins of old.

It could be great if they do something like that... just like when Steam shows what are you playing... I hope they add that feature!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It will be a godsend not to have to manage game volume when playing MP3s now. Assuming it does mute the game like an Xbox does. I always have to change the volume in spelunky depending on if I was or was not listening to music the last time I played.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
oh, the music player interface looks pretty neat. Not sure whether I will get much use of it since I rarely play games where I want to listen to my own music but sure.

Currently, the How I Live Now OST is pretty much my go-to album when I'm sitting at the PC and don't know what to listen to, but I can't see Steam replacing Winamp as my preferred player. Once the desktop UI has the functionality, though, I'll certainly give it a fair shake.

Oh, whoops. I wonder why they're starting with BPM first? Something to do with SteamOS?

From the sound of it, it seems SteamOS and BPM functionality may start at the same time. But I'm with you in that I'm way more interested in using it outside of those two things, so the sooner the better.

zkylon

zkylewd
that steam music thing is awesome, I'm just in the process of moving out of winamp and I'm battling it out with itunes with not much success.

too bad it looks pretty unusable on desktop

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Rescue - Everyday Heroes (U.S. Edition) the american version of Emergency series or are both games unrelated? They look extremely similar.

They're unrelated. Rescue focuses on firefighting in particular whereas Emergency is more broad.

that steam music thing is awesome, I'm just in the process of moving out of winamp and I'm battling it out with itunes with not much success.

too bad it looks pretty unusable on desktop

Support for Steam's desktop UI will come later.

I think it's no coincidence that GTA V is on its way to Steam. Rockstar has obviously been waiting for Steam Music to be done before releasing it.

I don't think that Rockstar was waiting for Steam Music before announcing GTA V for PC, I think that the delay is to prevent the PC version cannibalising the console sales.

Kadin

Any opinions on RollerCoaster Tycoon 3? I absolutely loved the first 2 games but this is a clear departure from those games. It looks interesting in that you can actually ride the rides but I'm not sure how the core game is. Is it still a great design-based game where you get to enjoy the park you create from the outside looking in?

Currently, the How I Live Now OST is pretty much my go-to album when I'm sitting at the PC and don't know what to listen to, but I can't see Steam replacing Winamp as my preferred player. Once the desktop UI has the functionality, though, I'll certainly give it a fair shake.

I knew almost immediately who's in the leading role without even checking.

But yeah, I think it'd be hard to make people switch from existing players. I absolutely despise it but still use iTunes for the streaming functions to my iDevices.

Alien8

They're unrelated. Rescue focuses on firefighting in particular whereas Emergency is more broad.

That makes Rescue more interesting for me, but the price is still a bit high, since I'm saving for banished
and Anno 1404

Backlogger

These kinds of advancements (Streaming games, music and content I already own) are what will eventually get me to buy or build a Steam box over buying a PS4 or xBox One.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That must mean I own the rest of those games as well. This is the like the gamer version of buying crap off eBay while drunk, and finding mystery packages waiting on the doorstep. Except I wasn't drunk while I did it :\
We are all drunk, Hoos. High on Gabe.

Steam is like a drug. These bundles are the veins, carrying the poison through our bodies.

JustinBB7

It will be a godsend not to have to manage game volume when playing MP3s now. Assuming it does mute the game like an Xbox does. I always have to change the volume in spelunky depending on if I was or was not listening to music the last time I played.

I just made hotkeys for winamp on the numpad:

7 is stop
8 is volume up
9 is play
4 is previous
5 is pause
6 is next
2 is volume down

This works in almost every game, if it doesn't work in-game, opening the steam overlay makes it work.

Fucking UPlay. I just wanted to play a round of Rayman Legends. It forgets my password/username after updating. The password on my Lastpass doesn't work anymore (???). I request a password change. Generate new password. And now the password must be between 8 to 16 characters (16 didn't work either). Wtf.

fade_

Just got into the in-home streaming beta and now theres a music beta? Are there any more beta groups that I should know of? Testing is fun.

With all these improvements they are implementing (Family Sharing, Streaming, Music, etc.), It's baffling to me that the actual desktop UI is so archaic.

Guess no one wants to work on it.

Anteater

With all these improvements they are implementing (Family Sharing, Streaming, Music, etc.), It's baffling to me that the actual desktop UI is so archaic.

they should add more customization to the interface so we could change it however we want

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

*raises hand* and I'd also work on the storefront pages, obviously. Volvo pls.

Patience young padawan, patience! When will you learn patience?! :/

*sigh* deletes save and restarts game...

Oh, four survivors and three rank ups on the first mission, sweeeet! :D Ice cream to celebrate, yay!

;) I've also recently grown fond of Gravity's OST.

Its like.. hey... check out this new CD
amXGm1y_460sa.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
I just made hotkeys for winamp on the numpad:

7 is stop
8 is volume up
9 is play
4 is previous
5 is pause
6 is next
2 is volume down

This works in almost every game, if it doesn't work in-game, opening the steam overlay makes it work.

best thing by far about winamp

I went for more fun hotkeys tho:
ctrl+shift+alt+w - minimize/maximize
ctrl+shift+spacebar - pause/play

love making the maximize claw

Can I not pre-order Metal Slug 3 since I'm in the beta?
Do I really have to puchase it as a gift and leave it in my inventory until SNK revokes my beta access?

Tellaerin

Classy got fragged? Bleh. :(

Hope he's back soon. Things won't be the same without the second-in-command of Saoirse Squad around. (JaseC being the CO, naturally.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom