• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
pid giveaway on Bundle Stars, get your free key simply by subscribing to the newsletter.
You can obviously unsubscribe right after if you would want that.

http://giveaways.bundlestars.com/

Edit: D'oh, went a bit further back and noticed it already have been mentioned. Need to change back to 100 posts per page.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
pid giveaway on Bundle Stars, get your free key simply by subscribing to the newsletter.
You can obviously unsubscribe right after if you would want that.

http://giveaways.bundlestars.com/

Edit: D'oh, went a bit further back and noticed it already have been mentioned. Need to change back to 100 posts per page.

#Team50ppp

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Did Support ever get back to you after you submitted proof of the Steam requirement mentions on the Top Gun packaging? I'd forgotten all about that. Judging from your games list I take it your bid to have it added to your account was ultimately unsuccessful despite the aforementioned ray of hope.

Everything goes downhill after Ubi killed Lucy off.

What homestead stuff?

The side-missions peppered throughout the area where Achilles' home is located (and your ship is docked).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This may have been answered, but any reason the newest Indie Gala is right now missing keys for Rush Bros, Sang-Froid, and PixelJunk Shooter? I got the BTA bundle (two, earlier today when they had the cheaper price and paid for the two gift copies deal), but never got an email, so went to my account, but the games are missing from the listed? Just going to appear later or some weird error?

JaseC

This may have been answered, but any reason the newest Indie Gala is right now missing keys for Rush Bros, Sang-Froid, and PixelJunk Shooter? I got the BTA bundle (two, earlier today when they had the cheaper price and paid for the two gift copies deal), but never got an email, so went to my account, but the games are missing from the listed? Just going to appear later or some weird error?

I'd guess keys have dried up (the bundle has sold almost 11k) or there's some sort of issue with the database they're pulled from. I just took a look at IG's Twitter account but it's been quiet for the past 8 hours.

Tenrius

What's been happening with those Halo on steamd? I wonder how to connect their existence with the recent Xbox One related leaks.

JaseC

What's been happening with those Halo on steamd? I wonder how to connect their existence with the recent Xbox One related leaks.

A changenumber popped up on Halo 3's listing back in December that was unrelated to Valve's own tinkering and, uh... that's it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Great article by Patrick Klepek, echoes my sentiments about Dark Souls (and Spelunky) perfectly:
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/learning-to-praise-the-sun/1100-4858/
You know, all the praise Dark Souls gets makes me feel like I'm wrong, or that something's wrong with me. I just can't enjoy it, and get frustrated extremely fast. I know it's a good game, but I feel like I wasted money when I bought it for $30. Not because it's not worth that much, but because it's not my kind of game. I thought I'd be able to step up to the challenge. I was mistaken.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get into it, and there's a strong feeling that I'm missing out on something great. And I kinda hate myself for that :/

mannerbot

You know, all the praise Dark Souls gets makes me feel like I'm wrong, or that something's wrong with me. I just can't enjoy it, and get frustrated extremely fast. I know it's a good game, but I feel like I wasted money when I bought it for $30. Not because it's not worth that much, but because it's not my kind of game. I thought I'd be able to step up to the challenge. I was mistaken.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get into it, and there's a strong feeling that I'm missing out on something great. And I kinda hate myself for that :/

You really are missing out. I dunno, maybe it's a mindset thing keeping you from enjoying the game. Death isn't defeat, it's simply a necessary step in getting better. Just try to learn something from every death so that you can avoid it in the future. That's how I approach every game.

fernandes

jshackles, any idea why they removed the achievement info from the store pages?

This:
10QOzE0.jpg

And is there any chance you could add it back with ES?

Tenrius

It would be interesting if you elaborated on why you don't think it's your kind of game. I'm curious, because I personally didn't think it was frustrating or even at all difficult. It seems to me that some people may not be able to fully enjoy the game due to misconceptions they might have about it, originating from the weird reputation a clever marketing trick have created for it.

A changenumber popped up on Halo 3's listing back in December that was unrelated to Valve's own tinkering and, uh... that's it.

So, uh, what could that mean (or what does it usually mean)? I'm not very well-versed in steamdb divination.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 1 is free on Desura. You can just add it to your collection.

link.
"You wake up in a hospital with no memories... You are in Buenos Aires in year 2035 and the city is under the control of a military organization. Suddenly, you realize that your life is in danger and that you need to escape as fast as possible. What would you do faced with such a situation?"

Strange, the 2035 Buenos Aires sounds exactly like the 2014 one!

It would be interesting if you elaborated on why you don't think it's your kind of game. I'm curious, because I personally didn't think it was frustrating or even at all difficult. It seems to me that some people may not be able to fully enjoy the game due to misconceptions they might have about it, originating from the weird reputation a clever marketing trick have created for it.
Mmm... I tend to die all the time. Bosses are impossible for me (had to ask here on GAF how to kill the
Taurus demon, and I couldn't kill the gargoyles yet
. It's confusing and I don't know where to go (in fact, a GAFfer had to tell me I was heading in the wrong direction after the tutorial). I find it both way too slow and way too fast at the same time: you have to take your time with it and proceed with extreme caution, but at the same time you get obliterated in no time whenever the weakest of enemies hit you.

It doesn't explain anything about its mechanics except for the very basic stuff, and I'm terrible at finding out things for myself. Guess I just suck at games.

JaseC

So, uh, what could that mean (or what does it usually mean)? I'm not very well-versed in steamdb divination.

Optimistically, the port is still being worked on, at least to some extent. Pessimistically, someone at Microsoft was bored and changed something for no particular reason.

Edit: Speaking of Halo, we should finally get news on Halo 2's future within the next 7 or so weeks, assuming "early 2014" means "Q1 2014"... and also assuming that the current MP setup isn't extended yet again. I mean, at this point Microsoft is running out of rope as GFWL will be dead come July.

Nabs

I mean, you kind of stopped playing before the game even started. I felt the same way at first, but got pushed by Stallion to try again. I'm glad I did, because it ended up being one of the best games I've ever played.

Just remember that the first few hours are some of the toughest for new players.

So I decided to finally try Starbound, given I pre-ordered it forever ago and it's been sitting on my hard drive since it showed up on Steam. I've never played Terraria, never played Minecraft, nor any other of these sort of "dig-n-build" games.

It's... pretty fun actually! I can see how the lack of structure might make me wander away from it at some point, but currently the freedom is kind of fascinating. I've been making a massive network of tunnels under the surface to get ore, and I didn't expect there to be so much variety below the surface (different layers, underground caverns, etc). And I ended up tunneling back up an entirely different route, and popped out in a huge city with merchants and everything. Wacky stuff.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You really are missing out. I dunno, maybe it's a mindset thing keeping you from enjoying the game. Death isn't defeat, it's simply a necessary step in getting better. Just try to learn something from every death so that you can avoid it in the future. That's how I approach every game.
This is the problem. I never get better, and I never learn anything from my deaths. To me they are simply wastes of time, not experiences from which I can learn. I know it's totally my fault and not the game's, but it still doesn't make it less frustrating or the game more attractive to me.

I mean, you kind of stopped playing before the game even started. I felt the same way at first, but got pushed by Stallion to try again. I'm glad I did, because it ended up being one of the best games I've ever played.

Just remember that the first few hours are some of the toughest for new players.
I started the game twice, but the second didn't feel any easier than the first. Got past the
Taurus demon
both times, but only reached the
gargoyles
on the second, after summoning a fellow GAFfer to help me against a bunch of enemies in the area before them.

I've put around 10 hours according to Steam, but have nothing to show for them. If Super Hexagon makes me feel proud of my progress, Dark Souls makes me want to cry and punch myself for being so awful. It's a bit like Fez, which made me feel like the stupidest guy in the universe.

Tenrius

Mmm... I tend to die all the time. Bosses are impossible for me (had to ask here on GAF how to kill the
Taurus demon, and I couldn't kill the gargoyles yet
. It's confusing and I don't know where to go (in fact, a GAFfer had to tell me I was heading in the wrong direction after the tutorial). I find it both way too slow and way too fast at the same time: you have to take your time with it and proceed with extreme caution, but at the same time you get obliterated in no time whenever the weakest of enemies hit you.

It doesn't explain anything about its mechanics except for the very basic stuff, and I'm terrible at finding out things for myself. Guess I just suck at games.

Real talk: just bookmark http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ and refer to it whenever you want to learn about something. People will tell you not to do it, but I think it will enhance your experience. There are both very basic beginner guides telling you where to go and in-depth articles on pretty much everything, so you can decide for yourself how much you're willing to learn about.

And the whole lack of explanations thing is pretty natural, because there is nothing to explain; there is nothing besides that very basic stuff. You get a shield, some weapons and you kill monsters, that's pretty much it. There is no real depth here, you just block, dodge and hit. What little technicalities you do need to know you can learn from the wiki (the most important one is that armor is basically useless and you can go with whatever looks best while keeping the load under 50% to allow for faster rolls).

Oh, and deaths actually shouldn't be frustrating in this game. You don't lose any progress when you die after all, you're simply returned to a nearby bonfire. When the first Bioshock introduced a similar scheme, everybody talked about how easy it was, it's not very much different here.

bkw

Quick questions... with all these sites allowing you to login with your steam id, is there is a place on Steam to see who you've given access to, and be able to revoke access? Or does it not work that way?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk: just bookmark http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ and refer to it whenever you want to learn about something. People will tell you not to do it, but I think it will enhance your experience. There are both very basic beginner guides telling you where to go and in-depth articles on pretty much everything, so you can decide for yourself how much you're willing to learn about.

And the whole lack of explanations thing is pretty natural, because there is nothing to explain; there is nothing besides that very basic stuff. You get a shield, some weapons and you kill monsters, that's pretty much it. There is no real depth here, you just block, dodge and hit. What little technicalities you do need to know you can learn from the wiki (the most important one is that armor is basically useless and you can go with whatever looks best while keeping the load under 50% to allow for faster rolls).

Oh, and deaths actually shouldn't be frustrating in this game. You don't lose any progress when you die after all, you're simply returned to a nearby bonfire. When the first Bioshock introduced a similar scheme, everybody talked about how easy it was, it's not very much different here.
Well, I hate the gameplay in BioShock, so comparing anything to it isn't very favorable to that game in my opinion :p

And it's not just a matter of reading guides; I want to feel that I'm getting better, not that I'm simply following a walkthrough. When fighting armored enemies I always get hit, and bosses kill me with two or three strikes. I have no idea which weapon is the best or what should I improve, and using a pre-made build found in some random website doesn't sound like a tempting idea. I don't know, you guys sound like you've learned how to play it well, how to stand your ground and put up a good fight. I'm like a little child trying to play with adults, and of course I'm gonna get destroyed.

HoosTrax

Quick questions... with all these sites allowing you to login with your steam id, is there is a place on Steam to see who you've given access to, and be able to revoke access? Or does it not work that way?
It doesn't really work that way. Valve acts as a middle-man in those types of Steam open ID logins. Assuming you're visiting a reputable site, it will direct you to a login page that's hosted by Valve (on Chrome, you'll see a "lock" symbol in the address bar, and the URL will be a Valve/Steam one). If you don't see that, then it's a potential shady site and possible phishing attempt. Valve then notifies the community site about your Steam profile and allows them to query certain stats and info about your Steam account (achievement data and what games you own are an example), but the actual login name and password is not known to that third party site.

Basically, the information available to sites that use the open ID is not anything that someone can't glean just from examining your Steam profile webpage (assuming you're not set to private), but it lets third party sites get the information more efficiently and do it en masse. I think Valve might have implemented it and made the service available to cut down on bandwidth used by sites crawling the actual Steam site to mine data from user profiles -- if the various achievement websites had to actually load each user's Steam profile webpage to collect achievement stat data, that's a significant bandwidth drain.

bkw

It doesn't really work that way. Valve acts as a middle-man in those types of Steam open ID logins. ... *snip*
Ah ok. Thanks for the explaination. For some reason I thought it'd be like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, but I suppose apps that use those services are requesting more private/personal info, or needs posting privileges.

JaseC

There's no master list, but you can revoke access by logging out, though login sessions expire, anyway (after a week, I think -- every time I remember Steam Gifts exists I have to log in again). The entire point of Steam's OpenID integration, though, is that websites are able to access certain account details without compromising the account itself.

Edit: Beaten by minutes. I forgot to refresh. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom