• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Tonight DD Neon will FINALLY be available for purchase X3.
If paying for my car insurance doesn't wreck me by next week I'll grab Strider too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do we know if those bemine11 games are all steam keys?

Backlogger

Finished New Vegas tonight with a paltry 29% completion of achievements. Great game. Enjoyed the ending way more than Fallout 3 (although I didn't experiment with alternate endings in 3)

What's next? Looking at the low hanging fruit, probably Bulletstorm and Portal which I am about 75% done on both of those.

After those I am thinking Batman AC, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider 2013 and/or Shadowrun Returns. All of which I have started but haven't put a significant amount of time into yet. My goal is to have a productive 2014 in clearing my backlog.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's time to come clean... I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. Come at me Derrick! :(

Caerith

Everything but Ultionus (which is currently on Greenlight) should be. I bought Grimm, Redshirt and Shufflepuck just last week so I'm feeling a little raw about their inclusion, haha. ;)

What is Grimm (in the bundle, at least) going to be, anyway? One episode (like most bundle games)? One season? All seasons?

Backlogger

It's time to come clean... I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. Come at me Derrick! :(

I like both, but New Vegas is just better. I don't know if I can quantify it really. I think part of it, for me anyway, is when I played Fallout 3 it was all new to me. When I started New Vegas I got into it much faster because I was already familiar with how combat and skills work.

One thing I don't miss about 3 though is those subway systems and trying to figure out how to get to certain places in the downtown area for the first time. There really wasn't an equivalent to that in New Vegas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

30% off ($6.99) for the next week. Steam keys will probably appear in these two Groupees bundles in the near future.

Edit: As noted below, keys have already been added to Retro Groupee 2.

didamangi

Got the invite to steam music, it's just a pretty basic music player so far embedded in steam bpm overlay.

FBACC7CE86DD56E2F4A58CF7CE7DBBD227D694C2

Also, I exit BPM and the music kept playing and there's no way to stop it other than to restart steam.

Tellaerin

As a shmup, I felt like Sine Mora had odd / unorthodox mechanics.

I felt like I was constantly getting hit and it was because the hitboxes are huge. Which seems to run contrary to other shmups, where your ship's hitbox is smaller than it might seem visually and the bullets will often pass through your wings -- the visual effect being more to intimidate with a "bullet hell" effect, while at the same time being physically possible to evade. In Sine Mora on the other hand, the bullet patterns sometimes seem totally randomly, and your ship's hitbox is apparently larger than it would seem intuitively.

Honestly, the only thing I felt like the game did well was presentation.

I'd say what's intuitive depends on what kind of shmups you grew up on. Hitboxes that are close to the size of your ship and bullets that get fired at you, rather than in elaborate patterns you're expected to thread your way through, are hallmarks of oldschool shmups. The fact that bullet hell shooters don't work that way is something that I had to come to grips with. So for me personally, Sine Mora felt sort of like coming home. I can understand how someone else might feel differently, especially if their preferences run more towards bullet hell games, but I really enjoy it.

Rhaknar

Ah, cool. Of course it's already in the bundle that I didn't buy. :(

Nor me.. Is that the one that DIDNT have greenlight logos on the games? I think that's why I skipped it... Guess I have to buy every bundle now just in case :(

I know I don't HAVE to

Tizoc

Reposting for new page.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Pid -- MB-111E6597D3885464

t1391708853z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nor me.. Is that the one that DIDNT have greenlight logos on the games? I think that's why I skipped it... Guess I have to buy every bundle now just in case :(

I know I don't HAVE to

I can't remember, but there were a few Steam keys and a handful of Desura keys included. For the most part it was a DRM-free bundle, though.

Edit: Steam Music is nigh on useless at this juncture if you have a particularly large library. Crash after crash after crash.

Tizoc

With Broken Age as BTA ;)

I do not regret getting it for $25 ;)
Hopefully this becomes beneficial for them, but as is I'd say I have all the Double Fine games I'd ever want.
...then again I'm switching to PC gaming now so I could just get the PS3 DF games I have on PC as well...

eyeless

threads that are like 'hey man what's the best twist' 'video games endings that made you cry' 'spoilers: the thread' explain to me why someone would look at those threads i don't get it like 'yeah i'd like to spoil all the best video game endings' like what are you doing breh

Milamber

threads that are like 'hey man what's the best twist' 'video games endings that made you cry' 'spoilers: the thread' explain to me why someone would look at those threads i don't get it like 'yeah i'd like to spoil all the best video game endings' like what are you doing breh

Maybe there are some people that like to live life dangerously or give no fucks.

Knurek

As a shmup, I felt like Sine Mora had odd / unorthodox mechanics.

I felt like I was constantly getting hit and it was because the hitboxes are huge. (...). In Sine Mora on the other hand, the bullet patterns sometimes seem totally randomly, and your ship's hitbox is apparently larger than it would seem intuitively.

Honestly, the only thing I felt like the game did well was presentation.

There's a term for games like this - euroshmup. Massive hitboxes, environmental hazards, weird/random bullet patterns, amazing art and music.

Some people like those sort of games, players more accustomed to Toaplan/Cave/Raizing/Treasure school of design usually hate them.

Anteater

probably for people who has played most of the big titles that are story driven, the games they haven't played are games they probably don't care about.

Caerith

People don't read threads, they just post in them.

Deques

Got the invite to steam music, it's just a pretty basic music player so far embedded in steam bpm overlay.

I am probably the one who is not getting the music player beta. There were like 100 members when I joined the beta group. All others are getting invites :(

Arthea

You know how you plan to play some game, take care to choose scenario, pick time, make coffee and go through all preparations and go and play other game altogether?
That's how I started to play the Wolf among us. (><)
I think that's first of newer Telltale games that I kinda like. Not really like, it was not exactly what I expected and Telltale still aren't good at making gameplay, any gameplay, but at least I can play it, I'm not very bored. So here is something. Giving third, forth and fifth chances actually work, to a degree.

Milamber

Here I am in a Middle Eastern country not being able to listen to Spotify/Pandora/Google music cause of region restrictions. At least iTunes Radio works.

Copons

Well, I think that you should go into the game as blind as possible and avoid walkthroughs, but I didn't say anything because using a walkthrough and enjoying the game (albeit a lot less than you probably would without one) is much better than not using a walkthrough and being too frustrated to play the game. As far as what weapon is best, you don't need to worry about that if you're just trying to beat the game. Try out a bunch of different weapons and go with whichever one you like best; you can use any weapon that isn't obviously awful -- like a broken sword hilt -- for the entirety of the game, provided that you keep it properly upgraded.

And as far as how to actually play the game, maybe observing enemy attacks for a bit before you actually try to get hits in so that you can learn the attack patterns and how much of a window you have to counterattack after it whiffs. If you get a shield with 100% physical block and good stability you can simply block and counter if that's the playstyle you like, or else you can use the invincibility frames at the start of rolls to dodge attacks like a ninja. Hopefully you'll give the game another shot; I'd be happy to answer any questions you have or give you pointers etc.

Jumping right in the middle of this subdiscussion (why do you aways wait till I go to sleep to talk about stuff I care?) just to say that I finally defeated the Great Gray Mutafuka Sif, and I'm not ashamed to say I kind of followed a strategy.
Point is that between the bonfire and the boss there is absolutely zero dangers, just a couple of minuts of running, so after being killed dozens of times in less time than what it took me to get to the boss was starting to get frustrating as hell.
Also, at the, like, 200th try, I noticed that I was using a less than good weapon (I just assumed that when I stopped it months ago I was equipped with the best stuff to fight Sif :D ), so after that everything was easier.
Now I'm off to Sen Fortress and I'm so scared!

But in fact I wanted to ask another question, about weapons upgrading.
My weapon of choice right now is a Halberd. I've upgraded it to +9 and now I don't know what should I do.
I've never been a fan of irrimediable experimenting, so I'm stuck there with what seems to me a LOT of options.
I'm not skilled for magic or divine, so probably changing it in those ways would suck, but I don't know! :'(

Caerith

But in fact I wanted to ask another question, about weapons upgrading.
My weapon of choice right now is a Halberd. I've upgraded it to +9 and now I don't know what should I do.
I've never been a fan of irrimediable experimenting, so I'm stuck there with what seems to me a LOT of options.
I'm not skilled for magic or divine, so probably changing it in those ways would suck, but I don't know! :'(

Well, you can always get another halberd to upgrade to a different path. I have a few versions of my weapons of choice (reinforced club and fire axe) and upgraded fire, lightning, and divine (for the club) (because skeletons). Fire and lightning, IIRC, don't scale with your stats and just do constant damage, which worked for me because I'm low level. Certain upgrade paths scale better or worse with your stats, though.

The_Monk

Morning good people, hope everyone is fine!

Caerith thanks to your very helpful guide yesterday I managed to see what I was missing regarding those Book entries on the Ep. 2 of The Wolf Among Us it was
being nice in during the interrogation instead of hurting him. I even gave him the cigar to smoke and the bottle to drink, hehe.

topyy

Oh, I know, I got Spotflux myself, but I use the iPhone apps of them too when I'm outside, and paying for a VPN app is an additional burden I don't want.

why did you buy a VPN app? free VPN is everywhere and work well.
Move the slider to unlock login info
http://www.freevpnmac.com/macvpn/

setting for IOS
http://www.freevpnmac.com/ipod-touch-free-vpn/#at_pco=smlre-1.0&at_tot=4&at_ab=per-4&at_pos=3

through it is only based on a VPS,it is working well for watching video like Hulu.

Copons

Well, you can always get another halberd to upgrade to a different path. I have a few versions of my weapons of choice (reinforced club and fire axe) and upgraded fire, lightning, and divine (for the club) (because skeletons). Fire and lightning, IIRC, don't scale with your stats and just do constant damage, which worked for me because I'm low level. Certain upgrade paths scale better or worse with your stats, though.

Eh, it seems the normal Halberd is a one of a kind weapon: obtainable or in a corpse in Parish, or dropped (but the Crystal version) in Anor Londo. So it actually would be a one time choice that is frying my mind. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom