• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I supposed to play in February since I refuse to dip into the waters of Origin? Metal Slug and RE4? Lame, man this month is gonna be boring.

Still hoping to one day win something, anything, on SteamGifts. I've probably wasted half a day on that site, clicking through giveaways.

mannerbot

Well, I hate the gameplay in BioShock, so comparing anything to it isn't very favorable to that game in my opinion :p

And it's not just a matter of reading guides; I want to feel that I'm getting better, not that I'm simply following a walkthrough. When fighting armored enemies I always get hit, and bosses kill me with two or three strikes. I have no idea which weapon is the best or what should I improve, and using a pre-made build found in some random website doesn't sound like a tempting idea. I don't know, you guys sound like you've learned how to play it well, how to stand your ground and put up a good fight. I'm like a little child trying to play with adults, and of course I'm gonna get destroyed.

Well, I think that you should go into the game as blind as possible and avoid walkthroughs, but I didn't say anything because using a walkthrough and enjoying the game (albeit a lot less than you probably would without one) is much better than not using a walkthrough and being too frustrated to play the game. As far as what weapon is best, you don't need to worry about that if you're just trying to beat the game. Try out a bunch of different weapons and go with whichever one you like best; you can use any weapon that isn't obviously awful -- like a broken sword hilt -- for the entirety of the game, provided that you keep it properly upgraded.

And as far as how to actually play the game, maybe observing enemy attacks for a bit before you actually try to get hits in so that you can learn the attack patterns and how much of a window you have to counterattack after it whiffs. If you get a shield with 100% physical block and good stability you can simply block and counter if that's the playstyle you like, or else you can use the invincibility frames at the start of rolls to dodge attacks like a ninja. Hopefully you'll give the game another shot; I'd be happy to answer any questions you have or give you pointers etc.

A game that has some dating simulation appeared:

tca8srs.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259720/

One of the reviews is from RPGFan, which piqued my interest. Made the game sound like late-era Persona, which sounds like a Cherry High kind of thing, so sounds good!

But then there's a whole slew of comments on this Let's Play video that basically makes it sound like the dumbest thing ever, and then the whole thing devolves into a weird argument about Men's Rights activists and feminism and what is even going on I just wanted to know if this was a decent game holy shit.

So, um, maybe I'll just let one of you folk try it out first. ENJOY.

Is Jets'n'Guns a solid shmup, or is it more along the lines of Sine Mora?

Uh... Sine Mora is a solid shmup.

Jets'n'Guns feels very weird from what I've played of it. It's kinda janky... partly because the bullets are easy to miss in the explosions and stuff -- and they're small lines instead of well defined circles or anything.

It's got potential, but I kinda regret dropping the $3.49 on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did Support ever get back to you after you submitted proof of the Steam requirement mentions on the Top Gun packaging? I'd forgotten all about that. Judging from your games list I take it your bid to have it added to your account was ultimately unsuccessful despite the aforementioned ray of hope.

Support entered into their traditional circles of logic and ultimately I gave up. For a while it seemed like they would comply, but in the end they told me I would need to contact the publisher and that a Steam copy would not provided. :(

jshackles, any idea why they removed the achievement info from the store pages?

This:
10QOzE0.jpg

And is there any chance you could add it back with ES?

I have no idea why they removed this from the store pages but...

It'll be in the next update.

This.

OsTWMIp.png

This will be in the next update for Chrome, likely this weekend. I'll be adding it to the Firefox code as well, but it will take more time for Mozilla to (hopefully) approve the update.

Levyne

Banned
How is Enemy Within? I'm enjoying XCOM a lot and have Within on my wishlist. Might need to grab next time it's discounted.

I think it is.
I wonder if they plan to do it the same way as last time with the pitch videos and all.

Thinking about it some more, I'm less certain this will be an Amnesia Fortnight thing. The first time Double Fine did one as a Humble Bundle, it was a two-week affair at least. I don't know if DF would shorten their game jam to just a week, especially since Amnesia Fortnight seems to be much closer to actual game-producing R&D than, say, the random weekend-long jams Mojang and company have held in the past for Humble Bundles.

Maybe they're just putting all of last year's prototypes back on sale, with the Steam version of Spacebase DF-9 as the BTA? That might make the most sense.

_hekk05

Banned
Is badge crafting worth it now? I have 4 I can craft. Or should I wait til summer sale for summer sale cards or something.

HoosTrax

Uh... Sine Mora is a solid shmup.
As a shmup, I felt like Sine Mora had odd / unorthodox mechanics.

I felt like I was constantly getting hit and it was because the hitboxes are huge. Which seems to run contrary to other shmups, where your ship's hitbox is smaller than it might seem visually and the bullets will often pass through your wings -- the visual effect being more to intimidate with a "bullet hell" effect, while at the same time being physically possible to evade. In Sine Mora on the other hand, the bullet patterns sometimes seem totally randomly, and your ship's hitbox is apparently larger than it would seem intuitively.

Honestly, the only thing I felt like the game did well was presentation.

Turfster

Thinking about it some more, I'm less certain this will be an Amnesia Fortnight thing. The first time Double Fine did one as a Humble Bundle, it was a two-week affair at least. I don't know if DF would shorten their game jam to just a week, especially since Amnesia Fortnight seems to be much closer to actual game-producing R&D than, say, the random weekend-long jams Mojang and company have held in the past for Humble Bundles.

The Amnesia Fortnight was a separate page and didn't count as one of the standard humble bundles, iirc.

mannerbot

As a shmup, I felt like Sine Mora had odd / unorthodox mechanics.

I felt like I was constantly getting hit and it was because the hitboxes are huge. Which seems to run contrary to other shmups, where your ship's hitbox is smaller than it might seem visually and the bullets will often pass through your wings -- the visual effect being more to intimidate. In Sine Mora on the other hand, the bullet patterns sometimes seem totally randomly, and your ship's hitbox is apparently larger than it would seem intuitively.

Honestly, the only thing I felt like the game did well was presentation.

Treasure save us and bring CAVE with you!

There will probably be like 50-100 games released on steam this month. I'm sure you'll find something.

Play some Gravity Badgers. Good way to kill time and easy to get all the achievements in the game :D

Thanks I needed that, I'll check it out.

Derrick01 said:
Castlevania is the only game that matters in February.

I forgot about that since it still isn't listed, definitely more interested in it than Thief.

Caerith

Well, I hate the gameplay in BioShock, so comparing anything to it isn't very favorable to that game in my opinion :p

And it's not just a matter of reading guides; I want to feel that I'm getting better, not that I'm simply following a walkthrough. When fighting armored enemies I always get hit, and bosses kill me with two or three strikes. I have no idea which weapon is the best or what should I improve, and using a pre-made build found in some random website doesn't sound like a tempting idea. I don't know, you guys sound like you've learned how to play it well, how to stand your ground and put up a good fight. I'm like a little child trying to play with adults, and of course I'm gonna get destroyed.

There are a lot of different ways to approach Dark/Demon's Souls. Try out different weapons-- they have different moves, different reach vs speed vs damage, etc-- and find one that works for your playstyle. Maybe you prefer shield + spear and poking away at things until they die, maybe you prefer using a reinforced club and keeping your distance before leaping in with an overhead bash, maybe you'd be better off with archery or just skipping weapons and instead using sorcery or pyromancy. Whatever approach you go with, take the time to get comfortable with how it controls.

The world resets every time you rest at a bonfire, and it always resets the same. If you go in a direction and there are three undead plus some jerk throwing firebombs at you, there will always be those three + jerk every time. Use your foreknowledge to your advantage-- every time you die, make sure you understand why and figure out what you can do next time to prevent it.

For me, I play as a level 1 pyromancer. I'm not good at games or anything, but being stuck at level 1 gives me only a handful of options for any given encounter, and basically I look at every encounter as a puzzle that can be solved only by some combination of club and fireballs. Naturally, I spent a lot of souls upgrading that club and those pyromancies to be as strong as possible, but it still comes down to bash or burn or burn + bash.

I know if I started leveling up, I'd have more options and that would open me to choice paralysis and I'd never get anything done.

Backlogger

So I decided to finally try Starbound, given I pre-ordered it forever ago and it's been sitting on my hard drive since it showed up on Steam. I've never played Terraria, never played Minecraft, nor any other of these sort of "dig-n-build" games.

It's... pretty fun actually! I can see how the lack of structure might make me wander away from it at some point, but currently the freedom is kind of fascinating. I've been making a massive network of tunnels under the surface to get ore, and I didn't expect there to be so much variety below the surface (different layers, underground caverns, etc). And I ended up tunneling back up an entirely different route, and popped out in a huge city with merchants and everything. Wacky stuff.

This is the most fun part of these games, especially when you are new to them. Starbound has a great soundtrack too which certainly helps create that atmosphere of exploration.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How is Enemy Within? I'm enjoying XCOM a lot and have Within on my wishlist. Might need to grab next time it's discounted.

I suggest waiting a while since you are already deep in the main game. EW takes the campaign you are playing currently and basically puts it on steroids. There is a lot added, but it's the same core and you are essentially replaying the whole game.

Levyne

Banned
I suggest waiting a while since you are already deep in the main game. EW takes the campaign you are playing currently and basically puts it on steroids. There is a lot added, but it's the same core and you are essentially replaying the whole game.

Oh. Okay! Thanks for the explanation. I assumed it would be an additional campaign with elements upgraded in the main campaign as well like Brood War or Conquerors or something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After Sim City I'm open to just about anything to take over. I'll keep an eye on it.

Anno 1404 should be back soon, too. We're 1/4 of the way there!

33250 Anno 1404 said:
a day ago Changed Depots

+33256/manifests/public: 1478833957947680683
+33256/maxsize: 11
branches/public/buildid: 52252 › 182325

graywolf323

Support entered into their traditional circles of logic and ultimately I gave up. For a while it seemed like they would comply, but in the end they told me I would need to contact the publisher and that a Steam copy would not provided. :(

Steam has really poor support

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just realized RE4 is end of the month and now I'm sad. Guess it's more Marvel for me until then...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Astro Tripper for the extra game in Something for Everyone Bundle, not bad.

And thus a spare was born:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Astro Tripper -- MB-2AD670CC40B8573A - Taken by Benedict

Benedict

Got shelter for 2$ on bundlestar. I think that's the lowest I have seen it go.

It's been in one or two bundles as well.

Thanks JaseC for the trip

edit: Seems like the BTA on Sid Meier is pretty high at the moment, $8.70.
I hope that Colonization is added to the bundle.

Be Mine Bundle 11 will be released in about 9 hrs and supports Julia's Journey against Neuroblastoma
7 games:

Aerena clash of champions
Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Redshirt
IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
Grimm
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Infected: The Twin Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom