• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's wise you waited to play the two back-to-back, it just makes for a nice, unbroken experience. I loved both.

I just finished doing this yesterday - fantastic experience indeed with some really good payoffs as a fan of the original game. It also definitely rewards exploration and looking for hidden books, notes etc if you like that sort of thing.
I fucking love that sort of thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For a new project I'm working on, I'm researching the design changes of the Steam website since it's inception. The current design (v5) was brought online on the morning of April 27th, 2010. I'm honestly surprised at how little it's changed in the almost 4 years it's been used by Valve.

Screenshot, for those who are interested.

With the exception of a few minor details (like... nobody should pay $59.99 for Splinter Cell Conviction) most of what's been added has just been directly templated from their existing design. Of course, I'm just talking about the store pages. The community pages got wildly different when they introduced trading cards.

spode

Thanks The_Super_Inframan for The Journey Down - Chapter 1! First time winning a modbot raffle :). I'm in a point and click game mood and have been wanting to check this game out. Heard good things about it.

StAidan

Here's my Steam gift copy of Interstellar Marines.

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Interstellar Marines -- MB-E65C1E7EF2EE14ED - Taken by dk_. 10 entrants total.

t1391643910z1.png

Acccent

For a new project I'm working on, I'm researching the design changes of the Steam website since it's inception. The current design (v5) was brought online on the morning of April 27th, 2010. I'm honestly surprised at how little it's changed in the almost 4 years it's been used by Valve.

With the exception of a few minor details (like... nobody should pay $59.99 for Splinter Cell Conviction) most of what's been added has just been directly templated from their existing design. Of course, I'm just talking about the store pages. The community pages got wildly different when they introduced trading cards.

To be honest I think the website's - and by extension the client's - layout is, and has always been, rather terrible. It was never truly updated (the changes from one version to the next were always somewhat minor), and we've learnt to work with it instead of it being good in the first place. A shame.
And another reason they need people like you

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
50 new greenlit games and Danmaku Unlimited 2 isn't one of them?

What kind of farce is this?!

ah, that sucks :( i really thought it would be greenlit this time...

Thanks for Cherry Tree High Comedy Club! And presuming your namesake is based on this, I should try and watch that movie someday!

it is and that movie is awesome! watch it with some friends and a few beers, you won't regret it :)
one of my favorite "so bad that it's just good" movies

Dr Dogg

Well the GAFCOM Project is going to have to take a backseat due to having to do another fecking clean install. Fingers crossed the 5th time really is the lucky one.

Right then best way to reintegrate Steam? Is it still delete everything bar the .exe and the SteamApps folder and let it sort itself out? Or is there any other new fangled way?

random

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Spidy -- MB-62F48662FB6B2611 - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines -- MB-D1647933CACDCB43 - Taken by Coldsun. 14 entrants total.
Dollar Dash -- MB-7981D53B251B793B - Taken by Relax.MX. 3 entrants total.
I Have No Mouth and I must Scream -- MB-9CCE01EB80833AD4 - Taken by An-Det. 15 entrants total.
Rush Bros -- MB-A1A825BC0876D47E - Taken by user237. 7 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-F43019C5B46AD5F6 - Taken by Leg-End. 33 entrants total.

t1391654260z1.png

:D

I guess I'm gonna stop you here, as my use of the
English
tongue can't go much further.

:)

*resists temptation to comment on the 'tongue' innuendo*

Get thee behind me Satan!

Oh wait...

I said wow :/.

Oh and I hope you're feeling better in yourself now after your surgery :).

Well the GAFCOM Project is going to have to take a backseat due to having to do another fecking clean install. Fingers crossed the 5th time really is the lucky one.

Right then best way to reintegrate Steam? Is it still delete everything bar the .exe and the SteamApps folder and let it sort itself out? Or is there any other new fangled way?

:/ Windows is great!

I always see Jase answering these sort of questions. I'm surprised he hasn't already responded. He can't be away from his keyboard and/or asleep can he? :eek:

Yes. I would rather pay a little more than deal with all that stuff.

Not really a lot to deal with.

You: Hey Trader, do you still have SP ROW for $19?
Trader: Yes. Paypal $19 to <email>
:You paypal $19 to email:
Trader: Here, let's trade. Have South Park. Thanks for the business. :p

PM Stronghammer22 -- he's always in the B/S/T thread and will get you South Park for $22, I think.

jediyoshi

Yes. I would rather pay a little more than deal with all that stuff.

Assuming you get even $20 off, the final price would be 200% the going rate of a trader.

I'd actually prefer a trader at this point since they tie immediately to your account so you can preload as soon as it goes live, don't have to bother checking email updates for when keys are sent, and can check ahead of time to see if there are any weird region issues.

PM Stronghammer22 -- he's always in the B/S/T thread and will get you South Park for $22, I think.

And that's assuming you're not going the key trading route wherein there's not any more risk involved since the transaction is contained within a Steam trade.

My curent CKII campaingn is doing so good, no powerful king declaring war on me, not dying in stupid ways, being able to conquer the nearby lands etc. Unfortunatelly I'm pretty sure that once my currently character dies and his son assume his position everything is going to be shit.

Derrick01

Banned

I would never use paypal again, too many bad experiences with them. I prefer to stick to normal business transactions with stores.

Dr Dogg

:/ Windows is great!

I always see Jase answering these sort of questions. I'm surprised he hasn't already responded. He can't be away from his keyboard and/or asleep can he? :eek:

Well far be it for me to comment on Jase's multitasking skills but I can imagine posting on GAF, scouring the Steam Database, doing dodgy dealings with traders in exchange of PayPal packets wrapped in brown envelopes, offer help and advice and make avatars might be a bit much to do all at once.

Never mind I got it working again any who and nothing's broke so far (touching any wooden object that is around!)

jediyoshi

I would never use paypal again, too many bad experiences with them. I prefer to stick to normal business transactions with stores.

I'd probably rate a Steam trade safer than a website transaction at this point, especially in knowing it guarantees you a copy.

Or I can just buy it on GMG or Amazon which is what I want to do. I don't want to rely on sketchy trading due to loopholes where something may eventually go wrong. I purposely avoid these situations so everything is guaranteed to go smoothly.

There aren't loopholes involved, it's why they introduced Steam trading in the first place. The onus is already on the publishers to set region restrictions and seeing as they've already set specific region restrictions (which haven't been too strict), they've already drawn the line as to what's acceptable.

If your worried about paypal just get Team Fortress 2 Keys off the market and buy the game of a trader like myself or one of the many many others It is a straight swap keys for the game there is no risk aslong as you pay attention that the gift is not the Russian version

The Paypal route is cheaper by I think $1 but really its nothing as the game is still less than half the cost

+ I just got my 1st foil only worth 50c but its still free money :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To be honest I think the website's - and by extension the client's - layout is, and has always been, rather terrible. It was never truly updated (the changes from one version to the next were always somewhat minor), and we've learnt to work with it instead of it being good in the first place. A shame.
And another reason they need people like you

I'm working on putting together a (working) mock up of a few pages on the Steam store using what I've learned with Enhanced Steam about how people use it. Obviously I'll have a few "Enhanced Steam" features, but also obviously not all of them.

I'm planning on mocking up the home page, an app page, and maybe 1-2 other pages such as the "download Steam" page and the news page. I've set up a site that these pages will live on, and once I'm done and satisfied with the design I'll be forwarding the URL on to Valve.

I said wow :/.

Oh and I hope you're feeling better in yourself now after your surgery :).

Feeling much better, thanks for asking. Unfortunately I have to have another done next month, but I should be fine. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I take it that Loadout gift is a game list +1 version? We could use a list of all these early access games that are going f2p after their early access is over.

Yeah, I just can't redeem it yet as the beta keys that were handed out a while back haven't expired (I'll eventually just ask Valve to remove it from my account if need be). There are not a lot of games that are due to go F2P -- just six by my count:

- Aerena: Clash of Champions
- Gear Up
- Magicka: Wizard Wars
- SNOW
- Steam Bandits
- The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot

Kadin

Anyone else still waiting to get keys/email/anything from today's Indie Gala? I never actually set up an account with them and this was my first purchase. Tried registering an account and said I already had one, no clue what the password is as I've never signed up. Key Resender doesn't do anything. Sent support email, going on 4.5hrs now.

Parfait

Is anyone else having this problem with screenshots? I can take and upload the shot fine, but if i try to look at it directly in a browser, it gives me a save prompt for a file with no extension. I can save it and rename it to have .jpg and it would work, but that's not what I want.

Happened in Chrome and Firefox

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Assuming you get even $20 off, the final price would be 200% the going rate of a trader.

And that's assuming you're not going the key trading route wherein there's not any more risk involved since the transaction is contained within a Steam trade.

Yup.
I don't like the idea of buying keys -- as the price fluctuates and not all of the traders I do business with take them (Stronghammer22, iHeo, for example).

Feeling much better, thanks for asking. Unfortunately I have to have another done next month, but I should be fine. :)

Surgeries?

Hope everything's all good, sir.

This seems like a stupid question, but is there a way to disable auto-updating at a global level rather than change the setting by hand for each game?

maneil99

Warface going to come to steam hopefully? Crytek isn't owned by EA right? I remember they were suppose to work with THQ to make Homefront 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom