• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

Yup.
I don't like the idea of buying keys -- as the price fluctuates and not all of the traders I do business with take them (Stronghammer22, iHeo, for example).

but can't a gift just get yanked from your inventory? if the buyer bought it with a stolen CC or something like that. aren't the keys insurance for that?

but can't a gift just get yanked from your inventory? if the buyer bought it with a stolen CC or something like that. aren't the keys insurance for that?

There are a few instances where that can happen. That's why it's good to only trade with reliable people.

Just when I think I might, possibly, don't dare say it because you might jinx it, be getting somewhere near getting over the hump XCOM kicks all my teeth in in little more than it took me to type this :(.

Bah I'm going to bed. I'll try to save the world [lol right] some more tomorrow.

Good night boys and girls. Be good to each other :).

Well far be it for me to comment on Jase's multitasking skills but I can imagine posting on GAF, scouring the Steam Database, doing dodgy dealings with traders in exchange of PayPal packets wrapped in brown envelopes, offer help and advice and make avatars might be a bit much to do all at once.

Never mind I got it working again any who and nothing's broke so far (touching any wooden object that is around!)

Good man :).

I'm working on putting together a (working) mock up of a few pages on the Steam store using what I've learned with Enhanced Steam about how people use it. Obviously I'll have a few "Enhanced Steam" features, but also obviously not all of them.

I'm planning on mocking up the home page, an app page, and maybe 1-2 other pages such as the "download Steam" page and the news page. I've set up a site that these pages will live on, and once I'm done and satisfied with the design I'll be forwarding the URL on to Valve.

Feeling much better, thanks for asking. Unfortunately I have to have another done next month, but I should be fine. :)

Good man :).

Haha. I once forgot to pick up my shotgun before exiting a stage... which I had stolen from a shopkeeper. Exactly the worst time to be completely unarmed.
Terrible! You stop thinking at the worst time. :(

I guess it wasn't all bad, though. It was my best run ever and if I grabbed the scepter I would have beaten the game I bet, but I at least beat Olmec and had the plasma cannon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can someone explain to me how the IndieGala gift thing works?

It's always confused me and I know during Happy Hours you get extra gifts or something, and that JaseC always waits for Happy Hour before he buys it (gifting machine).

When you purchase the bundle as a gift, it's added to your Indie Gala profile/account and you nominate an e-mail address to send it to -- if you want to give away the individual keys rather than just the bundle as a whole you can simply send it to your own e-mail address, even if it's the very same one you use on IG. During Happy Hour, if you purchased during the opening week and purchase the bundle again as a gift, you get an additional three bundles to give away, compared to two if you bought any later but before Happy Hour began, while those whose first purchase is during the Happy Hour period receive just the one additional bundle. I myself decided to buy the current bundle early as I'm not quite sure how much money I'll have to spare over the next few weeks while I sort out my Uni mess and I need to ensure I have enough to pre-order Thief's DDE, Strider and Resident Evil 4 HD, in addition to Banished (though I can wait if there's no early bird discount) and, funds permitting, Anno 1404 Gold + Dawn of Discovery Gold (assuming their return coincides with a sale).

This seems like a stupid question, but is there a way to disable auto-updating at a global level rather than change the setting by hand for each game?

Not yet. Valve recently added a High Priority option in the Updates tab of individual games which is sort of the exact opposite of what people want, haha.

Warface going to come to steam hopefully? Crytek isn't owned by EA right? I remember they were suppose to work with THQ to make Homefront 2

Yeah, Crytek is independent. It just enjoys sharing the bed with EA and I wouldn't be surprised if the two decide to get hitched in the future.

I'm working on putting together a (working) mock up of a few pages on the Steam store using what I've learned with Enhanced Steam about how people use it. Obviously I'll have a few "Enhanced Steam" features, but also obviously not all of them.

I'm planning on mocking up the home page, an app page, and maybe 1-2 other pages such as the "download Steam" page and the news page. I've set up a site that these pages will live on, and once I'm done and satisfied with the design I'll be forwarding the URL on to Valve.

Can't wait to see this! :D

Freezard

Oh nice, Jets'n'Guns Gold is on Steam. A great shooter with one of the best rock game soundtracks of all time, performed by Machinae Supremacy.

When you purchase the bundle as a gift, it's added to your Indie Gala profile/account and you nominate an e-mail address to send it to -- if you want to give away the individual keys rather than just the bundle as a whole you can simply send it to your own e-mail address, even if it's the very same one you use on IG. During Happy Hour, if you purchased during the opening week and purchase the bundle again as a gift, you get an additional three bundles to give away, compared to two if you bought any later but before Happy Hour began, while those whose first purchase is during the Happy Hour period receive just the one additional bundle. I myself decided to buy the current bundle early as I'm not quite sure how much money I'll have to spare over the next few weeks while I sort out my Uni mess and I need to ensure I have enough to pre-order Thief's DDE, Strider and Resident Evil 4 HD, in addition to Banished (though I can wait if there's no early bird discount) and, funds permitting, Anno 1404 Gold + Dawn of Discovery Gold (assuming their return coincides with a sale).

Thanks - I have no idea why the IG site doesn't explain this better.

Just to be clear: I just purchased the bundle, but not as a gift. If, during Happy Hour, I purchase again but this time as a gift, will I get the extra three extra bundles - or do both purchases have to be bundles?

I have no idea how you stalk this thread, the Steam registry and afford all these games you need to buy for your collection while also being at university, but I tip my hat to you sir :D

JaseC

Just to be clear: I just purchased the bundle, but not as a gift. If, during Happy Hour, I purchase again but this time as a gift, will I get the extra three extra bundles - or do both purchases have to be bundles?

Yeah, you'll get the three extras provided you use the same e-mail address as before.

I have no idea how you stalk this thread, the Steam registry and afford all these games you need to buy for your collection while also being at university, but I tip my hat to you sir :D

I'm still on holidays for another few weeks. ;)

Yeah, you'll get the three extras provided you use the same e-mail address as before.

I'm still on holidays for another few weeks. ;)

I was in Melbourne over the Xmas/New Year break, so I presume that university in Australia mostly involves BBQing and drinking cold beer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Be Mine 11
ÆRENA - Clash of Champions
Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Redshirt
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Grimm
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Infected: The Twin Vaccine

Chronoja

Yeah, I just can't redeem it yet as the beta keys that were handed out a while back haven't expired (I'll eventually just ask Valve to remove it from my account if need be). There are not a lot of games that are due to go F2P -- just six by my count:

- Aerena: Clash of Champions
- Gear Up
- Magicka: Wizard Wars
- SNOW
- Steam Bandits
- The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot

Be Mine 11
ÆRENA - Clash of Champions
Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Redshirt
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Grimm
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Infected: The Twin Vaccine

Thanks for the list JaseC, much appreciated. And right on time it seems. Looking forward to this groupees bundle.

Cheddahz

Banned
For those who enjoyed KoA or for those who are playing it right now, Curt Schilling (the man who founded 38 Studios) was just diagnosed with cancer
:(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just finished Operation Flashpoint: Red River that I was given from Modbot.

It's... an improvement from Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, esp in the fact the enemy AI can't snipe you from 50 miles away. But... I don't get the story. I must've missed something and I don't like the Fireteam Leader and his machoism.

Still, it was kinda fun and I don't regret the time investment. It's kinda a shame Codemasters didn't attempt to build on it despite the CoD-ism they put in. If they tweaked the command menus and had slightly more sandbox-y missions instead of "go here, then go here, then go here. You're at the objective YAY!" leading... it could be a good light "ARMA," as much as that is going to piss some of the ARMA fanbase off I'm sure.

Ffs of course after I say my CKII campaign was doing well the king of Perm declare de jure war over one of my lands and of course his army is 4 times larger than mine.

There aren't loopholes involved, it's why they introduced Steam trading in the first place. The onus is already on the publishers to set region restrictions and seeing as they've already set specific region restrictions (which haven't been too strict), they've already drawn the line as to what's acceptable.

The problem is the line of what is acceptable only works to a point. I think inevitably it will only lead to more restrictions which will hurt gamers in certain regions.

I don't necessarily begrudge people getting cheaper games, but I don't see it as something that is sustainable long term.

JaseC

The guy can't catch a break, damn.

Cancer is awful and I wish him all the best, but let's not pretend that 38 Studios and by extension Big Huge Games withered and died for reasons unrelated to his own starry-eyed ineptitude.

inm8num2

I keep praying for a stealth Grim Fandango release with Night Dive on the publisher side.

Heh I've been hoping for GF and all those old LucasArts classics to make it out of moratorium for quite awhile. One day...

I think tomorrow's DF bundle is an amnesia fortnight type deal. I remember DF teasing this a month or so ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How will grimm even work on be mine 11, isn't the game episodic or has a bunch of dlc chapters or something?

Anyway awesome bundle if only because I don't have most of it :p

It may have been posted already, but tomorrow's Humble Weekly is Double Fine-related.

https://twitter.com/humble/status/431229544544993280

At the risk of sounding like an ass: again? Didn't this just happen a few months back? Besides Broken Age, is there anything new Double Fine can bring to a bundle? (I'm not sure Iron Brigade's been part of a bundle yet but maybe I'm wrong?)

Wait. Unless it's Amnesia Fortnight season.

MAYBE IT'S AMNESIA FORTNIGHT SEASON.

JaseC

I keep praying for a stealth Grim Fandango release with Night Dive on the publisher side.

I honestly believed that this was a positive tease, but it's been six months... and curiously Night Dive has since deleted the image (a Night Dive employee standing next to Schafer with a copy of Grim Fandango). I'm guessing whatever plans were in motion at the time fell apart due to Disney buying Lucasfilm.

Edit: Err, brain fart. The Lucasfilm acquisition was in 2012, not 2013, but I'd still point to it as the root cause.

I want Warframe friends.

go ahead and add me (Steamname same as GAFname). I think Warframe gets a bad rap at times because it's free to play, but it's actually pretty fantastic, essentially a version of Mass Effect 3's co-op multiplayer played at crack cocaine speeds with tons of ninja/parkour agility thrown in. There's a strange grind point that happens a bit early where you don't really have the resources you need to build a new frame, but once you cross that first hurdle, it smooths out really well. Almost everyone I play with has only spent money as a "thanks" to the developer.

Once you get a halfway decent level of experience on a frame, you can use the party chat (or ask someone from the GAF Clan) to take you on a void mission, where you will pick up so many mods it's not even funny.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I honestly believed that this was a positive tease, but it's been six months... and curiously Night Dive has since deleted the image (a Night Dive employee standing next to Schafer with a copy of Grim Fandango). I'm guessing whatever plans were in motion at the time fell apart soon after Disney bought Lucasfilm.

That is the very thing that gave me hope.

Sweet... sweet hope :(

I'd hate to see how many deaths I've got on Rogue Legacy, if I stick with this save then it'd no doubt be in the tens of thousands by the time I got to the actual end.

Such a unique feeling game, I shouldn't be enjoying it but I really am.

r3n4ud

I honestly believed that this was a positive tease, but it's been six months... and curiously Night Dive has since deleted the image (a Night Dive employee standing next to Schafer with a copy of Grim Fandango). I'm guessing whatever plans were in motion at the time fell apart soon after Disney bought Lucasfilm.

That....really hurts :/

louiedog

At the risk of sounding like an ass: again? Didn't this just happen a few months back? Besides Broken Age, is there anything new Double Fine can bring to a bundle? (I'm not sure Iron Brigade's been part of a bundle yet but maybe I'm wrong?)

Neither Iron Brigade nor The Cave have been bundled, but they're published by Microsoft and Sega respectively so the odds aren't great of them appearing in one right now.

Dropchord, Broken Age, and Spacebase DF-9 have not been bundled and DF has control of them.

Also, the tweet mentions promotion(s), so it's not necessarily a Weekly bundle.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Neither Iron Brigade nor The Cave have been bundled, but they're published by Microsoft and Sega respectively so the odds aren't great of them appearing in one right now.

Dropchord, Broken Age, and Spacebase DF-9 have not been bundled and DF has control of them.

Also, the tweet mentions promotion(s), so it's not necessarily a Weekly bundle.

What a time to announce/drop the patch for getting GFWL out of Iron Brigade!

please tim please

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I bought Reversion from the Indiegamestand deal, but the Desura key they gave me was just for Episode 2 :(

I bought Reversion from the Indiegamestand deal, but the Desura key they gave me was just for Episode 2 :(

Same here, but I wonder if the Desura entry is just titled Episode 2 but includes both of the first two? I bought the Indiegamestand deal because I thought I only had episode 2 on Desura (from another bundle, haha), but I haven't downloaded it to check :p

louiedog

I'd pay good money for another couple of weeks of Amnesia Fortnight.

I wonder if they'd start that while some of the company is at DICE. I guess it would just be an idea submission process right now for people to vote on so they don't really need to be working on any games yet.

Speaking of which, it was almost exactly 2 years ago during DICE that the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter launched which could be why they said promotion(s). Perhaps Broken Age will get a discount in the Humble Store.

Same here, but I wonder if the Desura entry is just titled Episode 2 but includes both of the first two? I bought the Indiegamestand deal because I thought I only had episode 2 on Desura (from another bundle, haha), but I haven't downloaded it to check :p

Episode 1 is free on Desura. You can just add it to your collection.

link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom