• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I think that you should go into the game as blind as possible and avoid walkthroughs, but I didn't say anything because using a walkthrough and enjoying the game (albeit a lot less than you probably would without one) is much better than not using a walkthrough and being too frustrated to play the game. As far as what weapon is best, you don't need to worry about that if you're just trying to beat the game. Try out a bunch of different weapons and go with whichever one you like best; you can use any weapon that isn't obviously awful -- like a broken sword hilt -- for the entirety of the game, provided that you keep it properly upgraded.

And as far as how to actually play the game, maybe observing enemy attacks for a bit before you actually try to get hits in so that you can learn the attack patterns and how much of a window you have to counterattack after it whiffs. If you get a shield with 100% physical block and good stability you can simply block and counter if that's the playstyle you like, or else you can use the invincibility frames at the start of rolls to dodge attacks like a ninja. Hopefully you'll give the game another shot; I'd be happy to answer any questions you have or give you pointers etc.
Fine, I'll try the game for a third time eventually. Hopefully before GFWL is all but dead.

Dr Dogg

The beauty of having a massive backlog means you're never stuck with something to play only stuck with having the motivation or indecision of what to play. I've got enough to keep my going for at least the next 10 February's.

Castlevania and Resi 4 are the only things that I'll put any meaningful time into this month but they both come out on the bloody 27th so in effect they are really, early March games.

Still there's always XCOM...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I agree with mannerbot, I went blind into Dark Souls and only checked online for very sparse stuff that was leaving me scratching my head. Heavily using guides breaks part of what makes the game special imo. Still, there's not a "right" way to play it, I think.

I don't know if this means I'm a late bloomer but DS only really clicked for me after I was done with the Bell Gargoyle fight. The first sections were a drag and not very fun for a variety of reasons, but after that I started loving my time with the game. It's very much a game that rewards investment. I'm at Anor Londo right now, been taking my time and just playing it however the hell I want, having a blast and not feeling bad about using "cheap" tactics in some areas.

One thing that totally helped is that my brother is on his second playthrough so he gave tips and incentive. We're still playing so whenever we meet we'll talk about the game nonstop, comparing strategies and the different ways we go about it. I'll definitely replay it after this first run, try a different build and do more of the optional quests/bosses (most likely when/if GFWL is replaced by Steamworks). The initial parts of the game will certainly feel different now that I'm good at it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems pre-ordering Warlock 2 will get you a copy of Majesty Gold and Majesty Gold HD as opposed to, well, the original Warlock.

Knurek

It seems pre-ordering Warlock 2 will get you a copy of Majesty Gold and Majesty Gold HD as opposed to, well, the original Warlock.

Everyone should have Warlock from Humble Bundle, so I guess that's +2 for you (instead of +0)? Unless you have Majesties as well. :)

JaseC

Everyone should have Warlock from Humble Bundle, so I guess that's +2 for you (instead of +0)? Unless you have Majesties as well. :)

But of course. ;) I remember playing the demo of the original way back when and enjoying it, so I really ought to fire up Majesty HD one day. Apparently I've played 11 minutes of Majesty 2, but I don't remember that at all.

Tenrius

Well, I hate the gameplay in BioShock, so comparing anything to it isn't very favorable to that game in my opinion :p

And it's not just a matter of reading guides; I want to feel that I'm getting better, not that I'm simply following a walkthrough. When fighting armored enemies I always get hit, and bosses kill me with two or three strikes. I have no idea which weapon is the best or what should I improve, and using a pre-made build found in some random website doesn't sound like a tempting idea. I don't know, you guys sound like you've learned how to play it well, how to stand your ground and put up a good fight. I'm like a little child trying to play with adults, and of course I'm gonna get destroyed.

Eh, but what I'm telling you is that there's nothing to learn or get better at, really. You just have to block most attacks with your shield (which has to have good stability and preferably 100% physical damage reduction) and watch your stamina; when your stamina is about to get very low, you roll, all while watching for a window when you have enough stamina to land a hit of your own. This is very basic and this is literally all you need to learn to play this game. Builds and equipment do not matter — this is predominantly an action game, not an RPG. Levelling up basically improves your stamina along with your health and slightly improves your damage (assuming you're going melee). None of that really matters once you get the hang of it; the game is perfectly beatable on level 1 with no equipment. As for the weapons — just pick up something you like to use and upgrade it (using the standard upgrade path, which is pretty much the only good one). And do read the wiki — it won't "teach" you (again, there really is nothing to learn), but rather help you in a pinch (like when you don't know where to go next or need to know about upgrade paths) and there is some interesting information about the lore which is available in the game but you're not very likely to find on your own. It's not just a walkthrough.

Oh, and Bioshock was just an example of a similar death system. It's not true that you die a lot in Dark Souls, at least not in the sense of how you can die in other games. In fact, you can't die at all in Dark Souls, because you're never losing any progress you've made and the same goes for Bishock with its vita chambers (the enemies don't respawn though).

Arthea

I remember some discussion of old about games nobody played and I mentioned Majesty games, nobody contradicted me, so I assumed nobody really played it.
Both Majesty games are quite insane though. I've played both rather long time ago (have physical copies somewhere still most likely), but what I remember, that the games can throw at you such amounts of activity per second that you sweat a lot (><)
Or maybe it was because I played them at summer time, who remembers!

Caerith

Morning good people, hope everyone is fine!

Caerith thanks to your very helpful guide yesterday I managed to see what I was missing regarding those Book entries on the Ep. 2 of The Wolf Among Us it was
being nice in during the interrogation instead of hurting him. I even gave him the cigar to smoke and the bottle to drink, hehe.
Glad my notes helped! I'm glad they prompt you to make a new save when you go back and change things, but really wish you didn't have to.

Eh, it seems the normal Halberd is a one of a kind weapon: obtainable or in a corpse in Parish, or dropped (but the Crystal version) in Anor Londo. So it actually would be a one time choice that is frying my mind. :D

Ah, didn't know there was only one. If you have decent STR/DEX, probably just take the basic upgrade route all the way to +15? Otherwise, well, lightning does the most damage but doesn't scale with stats.

Tenrius

I remember some discussion of old about games nobody played and I mentioned Majesty games, nobody contradicted me, so I assumed nobody really played it.
Both Majesty games are quite insane though. I've played both rather long time ago (have physical copies somewhere still most likely), but what I remember, that the games can throw at you such amounts of activity per second that you sweat a lot (><)
Or maybe it was because I played them at summer time, who remembers!

I played through the first one, at least most of it. I remember that there were some really tough missions towards the end and indeed, the amount of stuff going on in the game was massive at any given time. Good times. Didn't try Majesty 2 yet, although I have it on Steam.

Arthea

I played through the first one, at least most of it. I remember that there were some really tough missions towards the end and indeed, the amount of stuff going on in the game was massive at any given time. Good times. Didn't try Majesty 2 yet, although I have it on Steam.
I don't want to rely on such an old memories too much, but I remember that they are very similar games. Majesty 2 seemed a tad larger and more insane.
I have them on steam somehow, although don't remember buying them lol
Might play some day again.

milena87

Now I'm off to Sen Fortress and I'm so scared!

You really should!

But in fact I wanted to ask another question, about weapons upgrading.
My weapon of choice right now is a Halberd. I've upgraded it to +9 and now I don't know what should I do.
I've never been a fan of irrimediable experimenting, so I'm stuck there with what seems to me a LOT of options.
I'm not skilled for magic or divine, so probably changing it in those ways would suck, but I don't know! :'(

Well, I upgraded both of my favourite weapons to +15, but I played a high dex character and my weapons were the Scythe (mainly for bosses) and Balder's Side Sword (I love this weapon). It made sense.
I also had other Dex weapons to +14 and a Lighting Balder's Side Sword and Fire Claymore. I mostly use the Fire weapon to
backstab those Darkwraiths and look like I own the place

All this to say that you should go with whatever pleases you. I don't remember if the Halberd scales a lot with high Dex/Str. Anyway, Standard upgrades should be fine and other good choices are usually Fire and Lighting. I wouldn't recommend Magic or Divine, unless you're specced with high Int/Faith.

If you like Halberd you might also use other similar weapons and upgrade them in different ways. Do you have the Gargoyle's Halberd?

I couldn't get myself to go completely guideless on a Souls game, not because actual navigation is a problem (for the most part) or anything like that, but just to get a grasp on what I want to do with character building and which items to be on the lookout for. Because of the way stat scaling works with weapons in the games I tend to do some wiki-assisted equipment window shopping and plan out my character's path through there. I tend to get really invested into a single character, so I don't like feeling like I've wasted my time just guessing around stat allocations. Personally if their idea for "accessibility" in Dark Souls 2 was to greatly simplify character leveling, I'd have been all for it -- I'm much more interested in the games for their design as straight action games over the RPG character progression systems.

Arthea

Talking about games nobody played because they can't anymore. I really wish Dune (by Cryo Interactive) was on steam or or gog, it suits more for gog, most likely. I've played it like 10 times back in 90-ies if not more. It's a sweet short game that I have most fond memories of, it's a pity it's no longer available anywhere.

The_Monk

Glad my notes helped! I'm glad they prompt you to make a new save when you go back and change things, but really wish you didn't have to.

Thanks again. :) And I agree with you, I mean, if there was some serious Story changes when making different decisions it would make more sense.

Teppic

Spud's Quest looks pretty good. Has anyone played it?

ENUfG9X.png

It's on Stream Greenlight.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214212775

Also released on humble store. The dev promises Steam key's if it's greenlit.

Spud's Quest looks pretty good. Has anyone played it?

ENUfG9X.png

It's on Stream Greenlight.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214212775

Also released on humble store. The dev promises Steam key's if it's greenlit.

Short impression by Daydreaming

So, I'm currently making my way through Spuds Quest. I actually started writing sort of 'review impressions' like I've done before, but then stopped since I have a good chunk of the game still before me. For now I'll say: What a two-faced game. Parts of it have been amazing, others make my blood boil (but not in a good way). The strong aspects are a testament to the dev's talent, though. The Escapists, his new game, will prove that further, I'm sure.

Finally beat the first boss in Rogue Legacy (i suck).

Second boss in the forest doesn't seem like it'll be too difficult, just gonna farm for a bit and beef up my armour.

------

What, why are people selling South Park so cheap? I've seen it for 10 TF2 keys on the trading forum (equivalent to £14.....when it's selling on Steam for £40!) or for similarly cheap paypal.

Seems like the traders are taking a fair loss on it no?

JaseC

What, why are people selling South Park so cheap? I've seen it for 10 TF2 keys on the trading forum (equivalent to £14.....when it's selling on Steam for £40!) or for similarly cheap paypal.

Seems like the traders are taking a fair loss on it no?

There's a loophole within the checkout system that is allowing Russian traders to buy the ROW sub at the cost of the RU sub.

There's a loophole within the checkout system that is allowing Russian traders to buy the ROW sub at the cost of the RU sub.

Ah. Could that lead to trouble for buyers later down the line?

Edit: I presume not, I just don't know much about the trading economy on Steam.

I'm still unsure about South Park tbh, it has the potential to be REALLY good but we've heard so little about the game that it worries me.

JaseC

Ah. Could that lead to trouble for buyers later down the line?

Edit: I presume not, I just don't know much about the trading economy on Steam.

Well, theoretically the possibility exists that Valve may close the loophole and pull the copies bought using it, but this hasn't happened thus far. In my opinion Valve would be more likely to let bygones be bygones in that regard and just lock down the trader's account, preventing further exploits and not indirectly screwing over the people who'd received gift copies.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the featured games box on the Steam store takes up now half the space it used to.

I'm assuming it's preparation for adding the "Recently Updated" box.

jshackles, any idea why they removed the achievement info from the store pages?

This:
10QOzE0.jpg

A poster on SomethingAwful said that it was removed due to a bug and it seems like it is the first step on fixing it. Previously, there were people who could not view the achievements from clicking that link.

Dolor

But of course. ;) I remember playing the demo of the original way back when and enjoying it, so I really ought to fire up Majesty HD one day. Apparently I've played 11 minutes of Majesty 2, but I don't remember that at all.

The Majesty games have some really cool ideas (an RTS where you don't have direct control over your units but can only incentivize them to do certain things like offer a reward to kill the dragon). I played a fair amount of Majesty 2 and enjoyed it a lot except that a number of the levels had unbelievably high difficulty spikes. Maybe I'm just slow in my old age (32), but I couldn't get past them without modding the game to make it easier (heroes cost less). The beauty of PC.

FloatOn

yesterday sucked:

1) I nearly passed out in a meeting
2) Was working with some engineers after the meeting doing some value stream mapping in our warehouse and about half way through the tour I ended up puking behind a washing machine
3) As soon as I came home I fell asleep and missed last night's class entirely.

I think I'm feeling better today so I may actually take some time to play something. Stay healthy steamgaf, nothing is worse than getting sick by way of sleep deprivation.

JakeD

ModBot said:
Instructions for JakeD:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Killer Hornet Resurrection -- MB-F997F623EF91CDB5 - Taken by Saty

if this key is already claimed, let me know. i bought two retro groupee 2s, and claimed one. i forget which one i claimed

The rate at which skills are unlocked in Far Cry 3 is pretty silly. I was sitting on 8 unused skill points because everything was locked. Finished one story mission and probably 15 skills unlocked. Guess they are going for big chunks instead of unlocking a few every mission.

I can now ADS and reload like a boss.

yesterday sucked:

damn dude, feel better. Puking at work is an awful, awful thing.

FloatOn

The rate at which skills are unlocked in Far Cry 3 is pretty silly. I was sitting on 8 unused skill points because everything was locked. Finished one story mission and probably 15 skills unlocked. Guess they are going for big chunks instead of unlocking a few every mission.

The game would have been so much better if it took 2x as long to level.

damn dude, feel better. Puking at work is an awful, awful thing.

thanks man. it was pretty embarrassing but whatever, shit puke happens. The lesson I learned was that I really need to get into the habit of sleeping better. The work/school/life in general thing really took a toll.

JaseC

If you're one for side-quests you can unlock every single skill (save for the few that aren't even remotely useful) before you reach the second island.

Copons

ACHTUNG! GAF!

Good news: Got civ5!
Bad news: as a fucking noob in turn based strategy i'm afraid to even press the next turn button!

Just play on easy and be sure to read what the advisors have to say.
Civ has always been extremely user friendly, so you'll easily get the hang of it just playing. :)

Arthea

ACHTUNG! GAF!

Bad news: as a fucking noob in turn based strategy i'm afraid to even press the next turn button!

oh no, don't be afraid, even if you won't win the first game, there is a lot fun to be had by experimenting and doing whatever strikes your fancy.

Just play on easy and be sure to read what the advisors have to say.
Civ has always been extremely user friendly, so you'll easily get the hang of it just playing. :)

I actually would advise taking what advisors say with grain of salt. Their explanations are pretty reliable, but advices only benefits their part of responsibilities. Usually you have to do what you have to, not what they would prefer! as in a real life, almost (><)

The best part of strategy games (to me) is getting into a game and learning so much about them while playing that at some point you just want to start a new game so that you can apply everything you've just learned.
This is very much true, too

edited 1 more time: make use of encyclopaedia, too.

And start a new game again, and again, and again, and again... Never finishing a match.

you are doing it wrong (><)
but then again if you have fun this way, it's OK.

Dolor

ACHTUNG! GAF!

The best part of strategy games (to me) is getting into a game and learning so much about them while playing that at some point you just want to start a new game so that you can apply everything you've just learned.

The game would have been so much better if it took 2x as long to level.

basically. I havn't seen in the xp scales or not, but its pretty easy to rack up 3k xp just by silently taking an outpost and headshoting some guys.

If you're one for side-quests you can unlock every single skill (save for the few that aren't even remotely useful) before you reach the second island.

Yeah i'l well on my way. I probably did half of the available ones and racked up 8 points before going back to the story.

ACHTUNG! GAF!

Just start small. Small map, few AIs, lower difficulty. Focus on yourself to get the basics. Once you get the hang of it, ramp it up and go to work.

edit : sorry for the double.

Copons

I actually would advise taking what advisors say with grain of salt. Their explanations are pretty reliable, but advices only benefits their part of responsibilities. Usually you have to do what you have to, not what they would prefer! as in a real life, almost (><)

Very true indeed, but I assumed he was a complete novice of Civ games, and as it is approaching Europa Universalis for me, even Civ could be discouraging for him.
Following the advisors, at least at first, is probably the best way to get the hang of most things you need to know to perform decently.

(At the same time, I blame their usual lack of war advices that, especially in Civ5 makes things super hard - at least for a "pacifist" like me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom