• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

I try and it just doesn't help.
It seems to be more related to my setup I guess?
My Computer Desk is pretty bad. But I don't think I have ever sat at a comfortable desk once in my life.

Getting comfortable goes in more ways than how you are sitting or how good is your desk or chair. Although these things can help you in longer gaming sessions I believe that it's your mind that needs to be comfortable, above all.

In order to ease your mind some people make use of Feng Shui in order to find more balance about the things that surround you. It doesn't matter if you find this silly or not because it's more of a thing that may or may not suit your state of mind. Some steps to do this include: 1- Clear Out Your Clutter 2- Have Good Quality Air and Good Quality Light 3- Always have that feel of "home" by having something you care about near you. If my place is a mess I can't relax, simple as that so I need to make sure my things are organized, so my mind can be organized as well.

This can be done by having a clutter free environment without too much pointless objects, cables, dust, etc. A good light and fresh air can also impact the way your mind is affected by this. Natural light is always the best option, beats any sort of artificial light in your place. If you prefer the dark no harm done, I believe.

Some people find relaxing to have plants or a aquarium near their places since the colors or movements can bring peace of mind however this is not enough. You need to let yourself go from all the other problems you may have in order to have your mind free of guilt when you sit down to play a game. If you are thinking about money, health, or "I should be doing another thing" then your mind is blocked from enjoying your game and you won't be comfortable. Your mind will find a quick excuse like you have a bad chair or you are feeling sleepy when in reality it's your problems that may be blocking you from enjoyment.

I find myself enjoying a good play through if I keep some sort of drink near me. Tea, Coffee or water are usually the best choices. By staying hydrated you will feel more comfortable during longer hours, however remember to keep you space clean with only one cup, not 10 cups from all the previous week since all that clutter is not good for your environmental Zen space.

If you have a big Backlog this may affect you. How many times GAFfers went to play a game, logged in on Steam, checked their Library from A to Z, closed and went back on GAF? Then, when you finally decide to play something you realize that you have talked about games, seen about games, watched reviews, previews, screenshots, interviews, etc and you are "burned out" so you end up not playing anything. It helps if you focus on one up to two games with maybe one on the side for Online/Multiplayer purposes. Avoid having too much games installed and focus on the current one unless you are not having fun. This is you fun moment, never make it like a part-time job.

Once you get rid of all your worries you should be ready to go. Do not force if you are not in the mood simply because it's your free time and if "I don't play I won't be able to do it tomorrow because I'll be busy." There's always a better day. I believe I could add a thing or two but this covers the basics to enjoy your games better when you feel that you get distracted. Many times it's not because of your chair, like you mentioned, this happens even when you play on your couch so it's not a matter of how good your furniture is but it might be of how you can't turn your brain from everything else for a brief moment of time while you play. Make your positive state of mind is your priority and also make your mind clutter-free (not just your space) and I'm sure you can have a good time.

HoosTrax

If my place is a mess I can't relax, simple as that so I need to make sure my things are organized, so my mind can be organized as well.
I have something similar that I call my "chaos quotient". If said "chaos quotient" near my desk is too high (empty cups, junk, or used napkins lying around in my peripheral vision), then I feel more distracted and anxious for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hahahaha, yeah the penny dropped a few years ago that you're not actually Saoirse Ronan. Unless you pulling some Keyser Soze style hijinx.

tumblr_lw3qvn8slt1qkyjba3n.gif

no one asked for this.

I'll be happy if I get a beta key since it'll add to my game count. ;) But having said that there's a distinct possibility they'll later expire.

Iron Brigade in the Humble Bundle would be enough for me.

I'm buying Groupees for Shufflepuck, Grimm and the Greenlight game (which looks like an awesome SHMUP).

HoosTrax

If you download the two images, and flip between them, you'll see they're not identical and were taken at different times in that particular scene.

I should also point out that, for every screenshot of some notable game moment or cut scene for any game, chances are that someone else (many "someone elses" actually) would have decided to capture that moment as well. Whenever a new game releases, I see tons of screenshots showing the same thing from different people in my Steam friend activity feed.

If you download the two images, and flip between them, you'll see they're not identical and were taken at different times in that particular scene.

I should also point out that, for every screenshot of some notable game moment or cut scene for any game, chances are that someone else (many "someone elses" actually) would have decided to capture that moment as well. Whenever a new game releases, I see tons of screenshots showing the same thing from different people in my Steam friend activity feed.

Looks same to me tbh
Theirs:
DfHhahh.jpg

Mine:
4B79D72187435029AC5BA4A6F5711CEB8F5CDC19

Jawmuncher

Getting comfortable goes in more ways than how you are sitting or how good is your desk or chair. Although these things can help you in longer gaming sessions I believe that it's your mind that needs to be comfortable, above all.

In order to ease your mind some people make use of Feng Shui in order to find more balance about the things that surround you. It doesn't matter if you find this silly or not because it's more of a thing that may or may not suit your state of mind. Some steps to do this include: 1- Clear Out Your Clutter 2- Have Good Quality Air and Good Quality Light 3- Always have that feel of "home" by having something you care about near you. If my place is a mess I can't relax, simple as that so I need to make sure my things are organized, so my mind can be organized as well.

This can be done by having a clutter free environment without too much pointless objects, cables, dust, etc. A good light and fresh air can also impact the way your mind is affected by this. Natural light is always the best option, beats any sort of artificial light in your place. If you prefer the dark no harm done, I believe.

Some people find relaxing to have plants or a aquarium near their places since the colors or movements can bring peace of mind however this is not enough. You need to let yourself go from all the other problems you may have in order to have your mind free of guilt when you sit down to play a game. If you are thinking about money, health, or "I should be doing another thing" then your mind is blocked from enjoying your game and you won't be comfortable. Your mind will find a quick excuse like you have a bad chair or you are feeling sleepy when in reality it's your problems that may be blocking you from enjoyment.

I find myself enjoying a good play through if I keep some sort of drink near me. Tea, Coffee or water are usually the best choices. By staying hydrated you will feel more comfortable during longer hours, however remember to keep you space clean with only one cup, not 10 cups from all the previous week since all that clutter is not good for your environmental Zen space.

If you have a big Backlog this may affect you. How many times GAFfers went to play a game, logged in on Steam, checked their Library from A to Z, closed and went back on GAF? Then, when you finally decide to play something you realize that you have talked about games, seen about games, watched reviews, previews, screenshots, interviews, etc and you are "burned out" so you end up not playing anything. It helps if you focus on one up to two games with maybe one on the side for Online/Multiplayer purposes. Avoid having too much games installed and focus on the current one unless you are not having fun. This is you fun moment, never make it like a part-time job.

Once you get rid of all your worries you should be ready to go. Do not force if you are not in the mood simply because it's your free time and if "I don't play I won't be able to do it tomorrow because I'll be busy." There's always a better day. I believe I could add a thing or two but this covers the basics to enjoy your games better when you feel that you get distracted. Many times it's not because of your chair, like you mentioned, this happens even when you play on your couch so it's not a matter of how good your furniture is but it might be of how you can't turn your brain from everything else for a brief moment of time while you play. Make your positive state of mind is your priority and also make your mind clutter-free (not just your space) and I'm sure you can have a good time.

Oh wow thanks for this. I think this will definitely help.
Reading everything you typed and it's all clicking together. Especially since a lot of times when I played stuff in the past I was following a lot of this without realizing it. Considering that it's hard to get a lot of that done where I am currently at I definitely think that's a big part of it. Going to take all these tips and try to work something out with my current set up.

yesterday sucked:

1) I nearly passed out in a meeting
2) Was working with some engineers after the meeting doing some value stream mapping in our warehouse and about half way through the tour I ended up puking behind a washing machine
3) As soon as I came home I fell asleep and missed last night's class entirely.

I think I'm feeling better today so I may actually take some time to play something. Stay healthy steamgaf, nothing is worse than getting sick by way of sleep deprivation.

:eek:

Stay well sweet prince!

Looks same to me tbh

The angle of her head is very fractionally different.

Copons

Thanks to all the talk about Civ5 (and the great suggestions I received), my work day suddenly switched from "somewhat midweek productivity omg so sleepy" to "fuck off work I want to go home to exterminate those motherfucking Zulus omg it's still so early but no wait half an hour left probably I have time to boot on the Win partition and play Civ right now".

But then, if I start playing it now, tomorrow they're probably gonna find me here sleeping with my head on the desk. :(

I hate life. :(

JaseC

Groupees Be Mine 11
Price: 1$ minimum
  • Redshirt
  • Infected: The Twin Vaccine
  • Grimm
  • Aerena: Clash of Champions (Early Access)
  • Shufflepuck Cantina
  • Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
  • IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

Bah, Google Wallet crashed on me as I confirmed the purchase. I received a receipt so the order definitely went through, but on the Groupees site I'm seeing the "If you made a payment you will see products immediately after Google processes it" notification.

Bah, Google Wallet crashed on me as I confirmed the purchase. I received a receipt so the order definitely went through, but on the Groupees site I'm seeing the "If you made a payment you will see products immediately after Google processes it" notification.

Mine says the same thing after my Google purchase. My boss reset the Wifi at that exact moment unannounced though. :p

I think it went through because it says pending on Google.

Strange, paypal crashed my firefox when I hit confirm payment too. Went through fine though.

Jawmuncher

A good chair can remedy most of that. Our desks at work at the best
though i can't really complain
, but an Aeron chair fixes most 'comfort' issues.

Obviously, that's not what I have at home...but if you are using a bad chair, you're going to have a hard time getting comfortable.

Yeah looks like I need to look into a chair when I get back.

Sounds like the polar opposite of me and manual labor. Some times though it's more of a mood thing and sometimes I find I'm unable to sit still and relax and end up turning the tv, pc off or putting the book down even after a tiring and stressful day (and lets be honest I doubt I exert myself physically a tenth as much as yourself). Though this has the potential to wildly spiral off topic and more in to the realms of psychology. End of the day don't feel bad there's more to life than vidya gaems!

Yeah I was having this problem earlier this year. Though I have finally started to cool on it.

blasphemy!
I have no problems playing games, I do have problems stopping playing, though, especially at the night time. I don't watch TV at all, otoh I read a lot.

As to Jawmuncher's problem, have you tried to lie down while playing games? It's hard to be distracted by anything in this kind of setup, unless it's impossible at your place.

Lying down is how I play my portables when I get the chance. Didn't think to try that with a laptop. Might be worth a shot.

JakeD

We’ve done away with the concept of a higher pricing tier so everyone can have ALL of the games. We hope that you will support the developers and charity with whatever you can and wish to give!

this is awesome. i foresee a whole bunch of modbot giveaways.

whats this about linking steam accounts though? no keys? or is it optional

The_Monk

I have something similar that I call my "chaos quotient". If said "chaos quotient" near my desk is too high (empty cups, junk, or used napkins lying around in my peripheral vision), then I feel more distracted and anxious for some reason.

I do something similar, actually. ;)

Oh wow thanks for this. I think this will definitely help.
Reading everything you typed and it's all clicking together. Especially since a lot of times when I played stuff in the past I was following a lot of this without realizing it. Considering that it's hard to get a lot of that done where I am currently at I definitely think that's a big part of it. Going to take all these tips and try to work something out with my current set up.

No problem. I know that, right now the situation you are is different so in the meantime I just hope you can hang in there and make a safe trip back home.

Infected: The Twin Vaccine

Is this one any good? Is it a Point & Click adventure with some sort of horror theme? I'm intrigued. Never heard of it.

Also, are we expecting another a new bundle today or no leaks? Just curious.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe -- MB-D8CDA74864BF850A - Taken by tylergregg. 18 entrants total.
Astro Tripper -- MB-EB3D5B183F827E3B - Taken by C00kie M0nster. 8 entrants total.
IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 -- MB-59EFFE0358122F27 - Taken by _hekk05. 11 entrants total.

t1391713842z1.png

Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe is a nice remake of the Amiga classic

random

I did see no Google Wallet crash, but I got the message too:

"We noticed you tried to make purchase using Google.
If you made a payment you will see products immediately after Google processes it. Thanks!"

This will probably be fixed soon, but maybe those that still have to buy the bundle, better use a different payment method for now.

JaseC

Strange, paypal crashed my firefox when I hit confirm payment too. Went through fine though.

It's midnight here so I'll wait until morning before sending off an e-mail. With any luck the issue will resolve itself overnight.

Thanks to all the talk about Civ5 (and the great suggestions I received), my work day suddenly switched from "somewhat midweek productivity omg so sleepy" to "fuck off work I want to go home to exterminate those motherfucking Zulus omg it's still so early but no wait half an hour left probably I have time to boot on the Win partition and play Civ right now".

But then, if I start playing it now, tomorrow they're probably gonna find me here sleeping with my head on the desk. :(

I hate life. :(

I didn't have any problem dealing with the Zulus, but Otto Von Bismarck is so annoying and acts like he's bipolar. "Lets be friends?" some turns pass and he denounces me for no reason. I hate this guy.

Turfster

Also, are we expecting another a new bundle today or no leaks? Just curious.

We're expecting a new Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight.

i see, the person above was just referring to the "add steam account" in the "profile" section. i think thats just for community purposes, not redeeming games

Actually, I was referring to the fact that there are now buttons for registering/logging in with facebook, twitter, steam and email in the payment section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom