• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Very true indeed, but I assumed he was a complete novice of Civ games, and as it is approaching Europa Universalis for me, even Civ could be discouraging for him.
Following the advisors, at least at first, is probably the best way to get the hang of most things you need to know to perform decently.

(At the same time, I blame their usual lack of war advices that, especially in Civ5 makes things super hard - at least for a "pacifist" like me!)

but you totally can do peace not war in Civs, it's somewhat even encouraged as there are much more non combat victories than war ones.
It suddenly occurred to me, that's not what you had in mind probably. You mean advice when you are a victim not aggressor? I can't remember, as I don't really use advisors, but you might be right on this, it doesn't seem to be advisor for defence and never was. ;)

Yeah. Once you get to midgame, I feel like I usually know if I am going to win or not at which point either way the game gets pretty boring. Haven't tried the new expansions though as I have heard they help with late game fatigue.

I seem to experience late game fatigue only while playing on large and huger maps, when you have a lot of cities and units to manage, to the point that one take can take you an hour, it gets tedious. But it's easily remedied by playing on smaller maps and having smaller civs.

Dolor

And start a new game again, and again, and again, and again... Never finishing a match.

Yeah. Once you get to midgame, I feel like I usually know if I am going to win or not at which point either way the game gets pretty boring. Haven't tried the new expansions though as I have heard they help with late game fatigue.

Copons

but you totally can do peace not war in Civs, it's somewhat even encouraged as there are much more non combat victories than war ones.
It suddenly occurred to me, that's not what you had in mind probably. You mean advice when you are a victim not aggressor? I can't remember, as I don't really use advisors, but you might be right on this, it doesn't seem to be advisor for defence and never was. ;)

Yup, basically I've found myself too many times attacked by cheap bastards (like Zulus, I've problem with them Zulus since Civ1) while I was going full research and I had just like a couple of units around.

I don't know why, but in Civ4 seemed easier and faster to build an army, probably cause of the unit stacking, while in Civ5 I always feel that I'm spending too much time training soldiers, while I could build some cool city improvement. Dunno, dunno. Actually I should apply myself way more in Civ5. :D

Jawmuncher

SteamGAF i've been PC gaming for 2 years now and I still can't get comfortable when I play anything. I don't know what the deal is. Obviously being deployed isn't helping matters but even back home I always feel "off" when playing anything.Even when I use my PC as a comfy couch desktop back home.What's my problem SteamGAF?

I've at least gotten over my impulse to always alt+tab to my web browser while playing a game at least. Which was a slight problem earlier on.

Arthea

Yup, basically I've found myself too many times attacked by cheap bastards (like Zulus, I've problem with them Zulus since Civ1) while I was going full research and I had just like a couple of units around.

I don't know why, but in Civ4 seemed easier and faster to build an army, probably cause of the unit stacking, while in Civ5 I always feel that I'm spending too much time training soldiers, while I could build some cool city improvement. Dunno, dunno. Actually I should apply myself way more in Civ5. :D

You probably already know it, but here are some tips for keeping pesky aggressive neighbours in their place. Keep cities near border better garrisoned, keep several units near border on alert, and when threatened with war, immediately attack their weakest border city, if you show any military promise, you will be offered peace (for 10 turns) when city is about to fall, you have to repeat it as many times as it takes. Or just get rid of a troublemaker altogether.

JakeD

nice. i ended up getting the base game on wii u and it's not getting the DLC.

i suppose it's time i finally get the STALKER series, with them going up on GOG. i dunno why, but GOG's sales are always right on the edge for me, price wise. it's always "i'll put it in my cart and decide later if i actually want to buy" and never "OMG instabuy" which happens on steam and amazon all the time

Kaleinc

Banned
SteamGAF i've been PC gaming for 2 years now and I still can't get comfortable when I play anything. I don't know what the deal is. Obviously being deployed isn't helping matters but even back home I always feel "off" when playing anything.Even when I use my PC as a comfy couch desktop back home.What's my problem SteamGAF?

I've at least gotten over my impulse to always alt+tab to my web browser while playing a game at least. Which was a slight problem earlier on.

Close all background distractions, play.

Smoke more weed and or have a drink!

The just i'm getting on the page is you can play it however you want.
Since it's more akin to a choose your own adventure. Thus why it's making a big deal about how you can go on a adventure or do absolutely nothing as a normal kid.

The description in the store page sounds interesting, but I'll wait a discount.

Also Steam community forums never change:

OEqpcRP.png

Still love ya, SteamGAF! Let's have a quickie:

ModBot said:
Instructions for MakeshiftChef:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Interstellar Marines- -- MB-90F4794FB1C16CDB - Taken by Divius. 7 entrants total.

t1391698361z1.png

JakeD

Shock and awe. :p

i actually knew it wasn't getting the DLC before i even got the wii u version, i just figured the off-tv play might get me to actually play it. and i figured i'd be able to get the pc version plus dlc for $10 a year or so later

Arthea

I would facepalm hard, but I'm afraid to kill myself in the process.

I was reading comments on some innocent VN on greenlight the other day, I wish I didn't. People can be so immature, kids and adults alike.

Dr Dogg

I've been sat here watching 5 or 8 loops of the Catzilla benchmark and I'm riveted. Why isn't this a game already? The denizens of the internet would go mad for something like this.

Wondered where you've been. I imagined Assassin's Creed IV had sucked you in!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

OEqpcRP.png

"I need something" got me good.

you so mean!
What dlc is it? Not that I'm buying, I still have a main game to beat, but is it something noteworthy?

Freedom Cry lasts a good 8 hours or so, 2-3 less if you don't chase the collectables and the unlockables (gained by freeing slaves and recruiting marooners).

i actually knew it wasn't getting the DLC before i even got the wii u version, i just figured the off-tv play might get me to actually play it. and i figured i'd be able to get the pc version plus dlc for $10 a year or so later

Did it? ;)

I try and it just doesn't help.
It seems to be more related to my setup I guess?
My Computer Desk is pretty bad. But I don't think I have ever sat at a comfortable desk once in my life.

A good chair can remedy most of that. Our desks at work at the best
though i can't really complain
, but an Aeron chair fixes most 'comfort' issues.

Obviously, that's not what I have at home...but if you are using a bad chair, you're going to have a hard time getting comfortable.

Dr Dogg

I try and it just doesn't help.
It seems to be more related to my setup I guess?
My Computer Desk is pretty bad. But I don't think I have ever sat at a comfortable desk once in my life.

Sounds like the polar opposite of me and manual labor. Some times though it's more of a mood thing and sometimes I find I'm unable to sit still and relax and end up turning the tv, pc off or putting the book down even after a tiring and stressful day (and lets be honest I doubt I exert myself physically a tenth as much as yourself). Though this has the potential to wildly spiral off topic and more in to the realms of psychology. End of the day don't feel bad there's more to life than vidya gaems!

Yep, quite the rabbit hole that one has been for me. That, and needing to actually play some games from PS+ in order to delete them and download even more games. Heh

Liberation might be the happy middle ground. While not as exploratory driven or as big as Black Flag it has some interesting scenery in the 2 locations. That and no present day jank and another likable protagonist.

Yeah the ouroboros nature of PS+ is getting a bit out of hand for me. By the time I've cleared everything I'm right back where I bloody started.

Dolor

I seem to experience late game fatigue only while playing on large and huger maps, when you have a lot of cities and units to manage, to the point that one take can take you an hour, it gets tedious. But it's easily remedied by playing on smaller maps and having smaller civs.

I feel like late game fatigue comes earlier on smaller maps as the expansion phase is much shorter, but I can pretty easily get bored (as evidenced by my huge catalog of games played for less than 30 minutes).

Divius

Thank you very much!! Tonight I will make some Italian pasta dish in your honor while soulfully and sensually singing ♫ Make--shift---Cheeeeef! He. So. Generouuuus ♪ as I stir in my pots and pans, and then play some of this game because it looks very promising.

Arthea

Sounds like the polar opposite of me and manual labor. Some times though it's more of a mood thing and sometimes I find I'm unable to sit still an relax and end up turning the tv, pc off or putting the book down even after a tiring and stressful day (and lets be honest I doubt I exert myself physically a tenth as much as yourself). Though this has the potential to wildly spiral off topic and more in to the realms of psychology. End of the day don't feel bad there's more to the world than vidya gaems!

blasphemy!
I have no problems playing games, I do have problems stopping playing, though, especially at the night time. I don't watch TV at all, otoh I read a lot.

As to Jawmuncher's problem, have you tried to lie down while playing games? It's hard to be distracted by anything in this kind of setup, unless it's impossible at your place.

Tizoc

If a Visual Novel doesn't have mystery elements or just a plain ol' date sim, I have 0% interest in it.
Though I digress, I'd get Days of Memories in a heartbeat if it were ever on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As to Jawmuncher's problem, have you tried to lie down while playing games? It's hard to be distracted by anything in this kind of setup, unless it's impossible at your place.

I'll also suggest sitting upside down or standing diagonally.

Edit:

It's an F2P "ZOMBA" and doesn't release until June, but you can register your interest here and if you're lucky you'll receive a beta key soon.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Late to comment on this, but I hope that it's Amnesia Fortnight time again when this DF bundle comes along tonight. Don't see what else it could be, and the last one was great to follow along. Looking forward to seeing what comes along this time!

Turfster

I'll also suggest sitting upside down or standing diagonally.

You only say that because you're upside down anyway, you antipodean ;)

Late to comment on this, but I hope that it's Amnesia Fortnight time again when this DF bundle comes along tonight. Don't see what else it could be, and the last one was great to follow along. Looking forward to seeing what comes along this time!

It could be a generic rerun with a third tier for spacebase or broken age.
nofunallowed.jpg

HoosTrax

Wow, SPAZ 2 looks light years ahead of the original, in terms of visuals:

ss_22cd2305f07b37a76d1fbb361b3e2f22b7877e33.600x338.jpg

Trailer was pretty impressive too. Spent a nice chunk of time on the original game (an action-oriented space sandbox game with tons of systems to explore), but the amateurish graphics were definitely a weak point. Steam page says Q4 release.

If you're lucky enough to find a militaristic city-state nearby and stay very good friends with them, they'll send you units somewhat regularly which is nice; it helps get over that initial hump where you're focused on research and your military troops are way behind. But once you get really ahead of everyone on research, you can build a few advanced troops faster that will wreck invaders and you don't need to build a huge army. City defenses also help a lot.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It could be a generic rerun with a third tier for spacebase or broken age.
nofunallowed.jpg

Having looked at the DF forums I'm 99% sure it's AF. They've said they're definitely doing another public one but didn't do it last year because it would have happened during Broken Age's development and they wanted to get that out of the way first.

They can always add a tier for Broken Age/Spacebase to that too, I suppose. Would be a good way to promote the games.

Turfster

What was the deal with the last Amnesia Fortnight bundle? Was it just the prototypes or what later became Costume Quest, Iron Brigade, Stacking etc?
Costume Quest and Brazen older prototypes (also that song thing I guess) and for the rest the new prototypes for games we saw them make as we watched, man!

Wow, SPAZ 2 looks light years ahead of the original, in terms of visuals:

ss_22cd2305f07b37a76d1fbb361b3e2f22b7877e33.600x338.jpg

Trailer was pretty impressive too. Spent a nice chunk of time on the original game (an action-oriented space sandbox game with tons of systems to explore), but the amateurish graphics were definitely a weak point. Steam page says Q4 release.

I usually don't care too much about the visual but the graphics in the first game kinda were a turn off for me. The upcoming game looks a lot better.

Arthea

SPAZ2 does look nice, although I got bored by SPAZ way too fast to be excited about second one. :(

I prefer to be somewhere in the middle.

I was about to make stupid joke, but I see that already was taken care of multiple times, thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom