• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

problem: I purchased the humble bundle civ deal. When I added them to my steam library Civ 4 and all the dlc appear twice in my library. However only one 'version' seems to work when I click on the other one it says this game is not supported by your platform.

How do I remove them from my library?
They should be Mac versions of the game.

I made a new category for Mac games and dump any I get into that category.

JakeD

problem: I purchased the humble bundle civ deal. When I added them to my steam library Civ 4 and all the dlc appear twice in my library. However only one 'version' seems to work when I click on the other one it says this game is not supported by your platform.

make a category called "mac." put them in there and minimize it and pretend it's not there.

body changer desura keys are up, but no greenlight as far as i can see

They're Mac versions and you can't remove them.

Derrick01

Banned
See, this is what I don't get and loads of people do this. If you don't like it, why continue playing?
Nothing personal, just curious. :)

There's only a couple of side missions for each person and since they're really small multiplayer-style maps it doesn't take long to do them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
See, this is what I don't get and loads of people do this. If you don't like it, why continue playing?
Nothing personal, just curious. :)

If it's one game in a series I have played the majority of, I find it very hard to not let my OCD reign. Only recently have I added parts of series to my dumping ground. Warhammer 40K is a recent example. Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions were pretty fun but I found the Dawn of War 1 games to be utterly tedious since I don't particularly enjoy classic RTS gameplay. It was hard, but I finally managed to get them off my play list and accepted the fact that it would just be a waste of time forcing myself through them.

So I finished Splinter Cell Blacklist this morning, did everything except the forced co-op only side missions. If you've seen my previous posts about the game over the past few days you could probably guess that I didn't really like it all that much. I have to say it was a noticeable improvement over Conviction, but the fact that the game was basically still trying to be Conviction but with better level design is the reason why it still wasn't a good game. The side missions are basically multiplayer maps made for single player/co-op purposes. Each person of your team gives you a different kind of mission but they're basically just Conviction's modes renamed. You've got wave based survival (UGH!), infiltration missions where you can't be spotted at all, take out X enemies missions and something co-op only related (the one I haven't tried yet).

As for the actual gameplay as I said the level design was a nice improvement over Conviction but we're still not quite up to the older games' standard there. The game overloads you with gadgets and supply caches that refill everything so that you never come close to running out of tools. Combined with how few guards are in each "section" of the level, it results in a pathetically easy game even on perfection with all the radar stuff turned off. I didn't even use the mark and execute crap either and still had no issues. The quality of the main story was decent but there are several forced action parts that are atrocious and do not belong in a game like this. Stuff like using a drone to take out 40 enemy vehicles in a high profile chase and a part where it changes to first person view and you're strongly encouraged to play it as a FPS.

This game probably could have been much better if they didn't try to design it for 3 different playstyles. In great stealth games your only option should be stealth and you then provide various stealth options in the levels. They clearly struggled trying to make a game to satisfy people like me and the typical shooter crowd at the same time. Sooner or later you have to make a choice Ubi, and since these games continue to bomb in sales then you may as well focus on the crowd who is still interested in stealth games.

4/10
Thanks for the write up and impressions, Derrick01. I haven't played a splinter cell game since the second one was released. I did enjoy the two I played though.

Does anyone know which Splinter Cell game had the demo released that had all the cursing in it? The one where all the guards ran around yelling obscenities at you? I tried that demo and it really made me hate it, lol. My wife's reaction to it was pretty funny though.

Derrick01

Banned
Thanks for the write up and impressions, Derrick01. I haven't played a splinter cell game since the second one was released. I did enjoy the two I played though.

Does anyone know which Splinter Cell game had the demo released that had all the cursing in it? The one where all the guards ran around yelling obscenities at you? I tried that demo and it really made me hate it, lol. My wife's reaction to it was pretty funny though.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Conviction. I don't know about the demo but the main game was laughed at for all the psychotic guards. I think there was even a penny arcade strip parodying it.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Conviction. I don't know about the demo but the main game was laughed at for all the psychotic guards. I think there was even a penny arcade strip parodying it.

Yep, that's the one! Thanks, listening to a vocal sampling on youtube now. Oh man, I'm dying here, lol.

Dr Dogg

So I finished Splinter Cell Blacklist this morning...

Pretty much my thoughts as well (well arbitrary score aside).

While yes it's better than Conviction that isn't exactly a badge of honor. Map layout might well be due to console limitations but that doesn't stop open world games using some cleaver loading tricks. Sadly while moving back to the stealth based gameplay it also brought the other play styles with it as well. It's nice and all trying to cater for a range of tastes but when they are all present at the same time is becomes a jack of all trades, master of none.

I get that some people have said "you don't have to use gadgets" or "well you can set yourself challenges" but when I have to impose limitations on myself to enjoy a game there's something not quiet right here. What would have been wrong with 3 different difficulty settings where the further you go up in difficulty the more stuff it takes away? Say have Professional difficulty with limit to 1 firearm and 1 or no gadgets, no checkpoints, no gadget refills, getting spotted would pretty much mean instant death etc. For people that this would be too much of a pain/chore/'fun' then there can be a all guns blazing difficulty for them where they can go round Team America style.

Step in the right direction but I guess due to bombing it might be a while yet before we see a big budget SC again.

Just played through Ultionus.
Music was of course, great (Especially the stage 5 theme).
It's kinda difficult, probably moreso because I didn't get all of the secret items. The movement is a little stiff but you can jump and shoot at a downward angle to keep things moving.
Most of the headaches came from the bosses. They have pretty basic patterns, but you gotta know when to start/stop firing, jump, duck, or move out of the way to avoid getting killed. It's very memorization-intensive.

Have to go back to get the good ending too..ah well.
Not too bad overall I suppose. It could stand to get a little tweaking, but for fans of the shareware days of the early 90s, it's worth a look.

random

I heard somebody's humble purchase with google was canceled after 24 hours (keys were disabled?),and there're 24 hours verify time words on FAQ that time,that is old google wallet.I can't find some words about verify time from new FAQ.

Never went in deep on this stuff, as I never had problems with them. This sounds like something that would only happen if there was some trouble with the payment to Google.

But, as I said, I am really no expert on how Google Wallet works :)

Backlogger

I only use Google Wallet and Visa's V.me thing if there is some type of promo associated with it. Like Newegg used to have some mobile promo if you were checking out with Google Wallet. I usually just stick with Paypal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
200+ skills to unlock? 600+ crafting combinations?

This is going to fill my compulsive magpie niche for a while.

Looks gorgeous as expected and a corking price as well (well providing $'s don't mean £'s in Ubi's random currency converter).

It'll probably use a universal sub given the SP nature and cheap price. AssCreedLibHD, $20, did (and still does).

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Man that new Groupees bundle is insane!
It's a little crazy that they're doing away with tiered pricing. Seems like a bad plan financially, but I'm not the one with the sales figures so I'll just shut up.

Kinda shocking Redshirt hit $1 within three months. I've read not-great things about it but I think I would have tried to bring some people in at $5 or $2.50 first. Makes me think of Dustforce.

It's a little crazy that they're doing away with tiered pricing. Seems like a bad plan financially, but I'm not the one with the sales figures so I'll just shut up.

I was thinking the same, but they're at 4000 bundles sold after only ~2 hours, so it seems like it might work out for them.

Backlogger

Kinda shocking Redshirt hit $1 within three months. I've read not-great things about it but I think I would have tried to bring some people in at $5 or $2.50 first. Makes me think of Dustforce.

Yeah, they should have had a $3 or more BTA tier with a couple games in it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Little Racers SPARE:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Little Racers Street -- MB-39C5B66E7E21C426 - Taken by Widdly Scuds

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ugh, I am so tired of crafting shit. It is one of the worst things that ever happened to RPGs. There are only three ways that crafting goes:

1) Make an item with better stats.
This is an annoying filler that just makes you collect more rare drops when it could have been just a rare drop of the item. In the off-chance that it is not a prefab drop result but completely stat-based, it just lets you make sickeningly OP items that nothing in the game will ever require of you. Crazy drops can work in things like Diablo where you fight bilions of enemies, but in most games they are pointless and they don't even make fun "completely overkill" animations for bosses or anything. Nope, just them falling over after a 5 second non-fight is your reward. Yes, losing engaging battle gameplay is your reward for suffering tedious repetitive battles.

2) Craft shit with powers tuned for the purpose you need.
So this way the tougher enemies can be blue, yellow, purple and so on so you have to craft new shit every single time to beat the next thing. This is again nothing but pointless busywork that has nothing to do with strategy or intelligent combat. It is actually the replacement of intelligent, strategic gameplay with what amounts to a keycard system.

3) Crafting shit that you creatively build shit with.
Oh look, it's the actual application of crafting that real life has, and it is fun. Unfortunately this is only in Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound.... and that's about it!

In such games I typically just craft whatever I think looks cool and play the game with that. Most games end up being like Skyrim where I like something basic (steel axe) and don't need anything else to beat them.

All day Anime
The art on that seems better than most of these types of games.

I know were just all here hoarding games, but if you have nothing better to do you should try Little Racers STREET, it's actually a pretty good game!

All day Anime

Getting closer to this everyday:
2WUWx88.jpg

Divius

I know Interstellar Marines is in early access and starting the games even gives a warning it might crash, but I've tried it twice and after a few minutes of gameplay my entire PC crashes and reboots. :(

JakeD

i really appreciate the true PWYW. as long as it's $1+ to prevent people from loading up on bundles for a penny.

My Google Wallet payment finally went through. Check your Groupees profiles if you were also hit with the bug.

New Avatar looks like the mic is going into her nose.

Can't unsee.

There's only a couple of side missions for each person and since they're really small multiplayer-style maps it doesn't take long to do them.

I think he means if you thought the game was terribad while playing it, why bother finishing?

This looks pretty fantastic. That art style is incredible.

FloatOn

sorry I'm not one of the cool kids that enjoy these creepy anime games steamgaf.

to those that do like them I, uh, hope they bring you satisfaction? yes, that's probably the right word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom