• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tempted but I'm still a little unsure about this as I've got some nostalgia filled memories from way back when so I'm waiting for impressions. If the price was £7 or less I'd take a gamble but even £11.99 is pushing it for a blind purchase.

Something about it bugs me. I love Strider and wanted a revival, but I'm not sure this is how I wanted it. The animation in the gameplay reminds me of Shadow Complex and not in a good way. I don't know that I'm sold on trying to make it a "metroidvania" style game either, as the original game was just an action-platformer.

It could be good, sure, but it's not what I envisioned for a Strider reboot and that has me on the other side of the fence currently. As I've said earlier too, I want those PS3 LE items too and I'm sure Capcom could find a way to put them on PC...

Im gonna help you..

Borderland 2: You played the first? well you already played this, is like a big DLC.

I get the hate for Blands2, but would HARDLY consider it to be 'just a big DLC' of the first. It improves on the first in just about every facet. It's the same with most other 'mainstream' franchises (i.e. AC) : you either like the formula or you don't.

the 50% off though is a shit deal. Fairly certain it hit 75% for the winter seal.

Arthea

I get the hate for Blands2, but would HARDLY consider it to be 'just a big DLC' of the first. It improves on the first in just about every facet. It's the same with most other 'mainstream' franchises (i.e. AC) : you either like the formula or you don't.

the 50% off though is a shit deal. Fairly certain it hit 75% for the winter seal.
ya, it was, I think I've bought second one then.

Turfster

Humble Double Fine bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Psychonauts
  • Costume Quest
  • Stacking
TIER 2: 6$
  • Brutal Legend
TIER 3: 16.74$
  • Spacebase DF-9

Humble Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight 2014
TIER 1: ?
  • 2012 Prototypes
  • 2014 Prototypes
TIER 2: 10.73$
  • Pendleton Ward Prototype
TIER 3: 35$
  • 2014 Collector's Edition Bluray

Volimar

You guys expect me to use some sort of discretion and sound judgment before I mindlessly copy/paste good game prices?

I don't even know you anymore.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh look, I already have all these Double Fine games.

I will certainly buy the Amnseria Fornight one. I just have to watch all trailers first.

rtcn63

Brutal Legend for $6?

ray-j-gif.gif

Arthea

I want spacebase, I wanted it from the day I saw it, but that price seems too much and it's EA game too.
decisions, decisions

Dr Dogg

Something about it bugs me. I love Strider and wanted a revival, but I'm not sure this is how I wanted it. The animation in the gameplay reminds me of Shadow Complex and not in a good way. I don't know that I'm sold on trying to make it a "metroidvania" style game either, as the original game was just an action-platformer.

It could be good, sure, but it's not what I envisioned for a Strider reboot and that has me on the other side of the fence currently. As I've said earlier too, I want those PS3 LE items too and I'm sure Capcom could find a way to put them on PC...

Yeah I'm getting the Shadow Complex vibe as well. Not exactly what I expect from a Strider revival, I couldn't imagine Capcom doing this to Final Fight so why Strider? All that would have been needed for me would have been General Mikiel a trailer and then a 3D version of the Ouroboros boss fight.

JakeD

it is kind of a bummer that the two most desirable things from humble bundles this week cost $15 and $16. obviously both great bundles for those who don't have the games already though.

Kadin

Great game for those that haven't played it.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Psychonauts -- MB-6902DC028D055EC1 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 5 entrants total.

t1391715012z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While a decent bundle for those new, it does nothing for me. Costume Quest is the only game I don't have and want from that, but it's not worth getting the bundle for on my end.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys...

Ultionus I despise you if you claim that awful thing -- MB-4AE01F2394DF6EED - Taken by KenOD

Well good for me I guess, I can't actually claim the code. Even with changing the characters around (e.g. 0 to O ), it doesn't go through.

Thanks anyroad anonymous benefactor for the chance at winning your despisal.

All aboard the giveaway bus!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Psychonauts -- MB-2F16AE21D23C5D64

t1391800557z1.png

Arthea

Can someone explain me Amnesia Fortnight? It mentions winners in description with when they will be announced. But what exactly is to win? I believe it isn't mentioned anywhere (><)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My short-list:
dear leader (dictator sim); the white witch's gnome war; what could go wrong (sexploitation slasher horror game); gone astray (exploration game where you play an escaped cat); dum sim (kitchen game); jet girl and ghost dog (action RPG); great spirits (3d adventure); headlander (action-adventure detachable head); ether (exploration); parabolic (sports mic + camera operator sim x terrorist attack prevention game); cat in a box (cat themed platformer); mnemonic (adventure); timagotchi; steed (horse simulator open world); fathomless (spelunking/cave diving)

I'm thinking Gone Astray, Ether, and Parabolic.

Can someone explain me Amnesia Fortnight? It mentions winners in description with when they will be announced. But what exactly is to win? I believe it isn't mentioned anywhere (><)

Double Fine takes two weeks off from what they're normally working on to work on prototypes. Many of these prototypes later become full games. You are voting for which prototypes they make. Once the voting week ends, the next two weeks will feature live development cameras and commentary. You will get prototypes of the games at the end of the process but will not be entitled to the full games if they choose to make them into full games.

Turfster

There are 29 game pitches on the page.
In the first week, everyone that gave money can vote for 3 of them (and 1 out of 4 by Pendleton Ward if you pay tier 2).
The 10 most popular ones 'win'.
Then from week 2 on, you can watch daily livestreams and recap videos of the production of prototypes for those 10 games, which will culminate with you actually being able to play them when the fortnight is over.

HoosTrax

Greenmangaming Rockstar Week, 75% off pretty much everything.
It struck me the other day that Rockstar might possibly be the most...I want to say misogynistic, but I really think it's a misuse of the term...game studio in existence. It's more like they cater to/focus on a strictly male demographic with zero interest in the female demographic. Female characters seem to basically boil down to either skanky ho or damsel in distress (mind you, I haven't played every single R* game in existence).

It's Double Fine's annual game jam. Basically, you pay yer dollar(s), you view all of the pitches, you vote for your favourites, then the 10 most popular will be made in the following two weeks, which you can then download and try for yourself.

Backlogger

To all you people complaining about the DF bundle: the amnesia fortnight is where it's really at, so there =p
I actually don't mind not buying bundles sometimes as it saves me money ;)

I still don't understand fully what Amnesia Fortnight is all about. It'll have to wait until I get home from work

Edit: Just read all the explanations above. Definitely needs to wait until after work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom