• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I'm totally getting this, Grimm sounds interesting.

Looks like this'll be my first Groupees purchase. I've been waiting for Redshirt to drop into "impulse buy" range. It doesn't get much lower than $1.

Well good for me I guess, I can't actually claim the code. Even with changing the characters around (e.g. 0 to O ), it doesn't go through.

Thanks anyroad anonymous benefactor for the chance at winning your despisal.

I believe that one's a Desura key, if that helps?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I love Amnesia Fortnight. Can't wait to see what gets picked. Going to jump on that Pendleton Ward one too, like the little pink dudes game.

Edit: Timagotchi. Amazing!

Dr Dogg

I think I'm sold on Breach and Buried Metropolis because Space Western and Rouge-Like-like. Though The White Witch's Gnome War, Oscillate and Dum Sim all sound great too.

I think I should replay Psychonauts one day. I don't have a 360 but I still have my original Xbox, and for some reason when I was in college like 4 years ago I bought an Xbox copy of Psychonauts. I went in with high expectations because the game has received a ton of praise, so maybe that's why I found it underwhelming. It was fun, but nothing special. I was expecting something spectacular. My fault I guess.

Plus, I never ended up beating that fucking Meat Circus level. Fuck that level.

Scipius

Have at it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 -- MB-76108B9C158990DD - Taken by VoidZero. 5 entrants total.

t1391726082z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It struck me the other day that Rockstar might possibly be the most...I want to say misogynistic, but I really think it's a misuse of the term...game studio in existence. It's more like they cater to/focus on a strictly male demographic with zero interest in the female demographic. Female characters seem to basically boil down to either skanky ho or damsel in distress (mind you, I haven't played every single R* game in existence).

Rockstar Table Tennis I think had some crossover appeal.

FloatOn

Wow. Thanks RelaxMX for the unexpected gift of that Aerena game.

I'll try it out one day I promise.

I wish Rockstar Table Tennis was ported over to the PC. Too bad we couldn't get a campaign going for that.

With the success Sumo has had with Sonic Racing Transformed on PC I would rather Sega Superstars Tennis.

Rockstar can port me Red Dead so I have one less game to get on my dusty ps3.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It struck me the other day that Rockstar might possibly be the most...I want to say misogynistic, but I really think it's a misuse of the term...game studio in existence. It's more like they cater to/focus on a strictly male demographic with zero interest in the female demographic. Female characters seem to basically boil down to either skanky ho or damsel in distress (mind you, I haven't played every single R* game in existence).
It would be interesting to see the gender breakdown of the 8 bajillion copies of GTA5 sold. My sister's interest in a game skyrockets if she can play a female, but my GF doesn't seem to have a strong preference.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Going through these pitches for AF I am going to have a hard time picking just three. there's a lot of great sounding ideas.

I haven't played it myself yet but supposedly Bonnie was a strong and well liked female character in Red Dead Redemption.

Has anyone bought Probably Archery

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263420/

Zombie Multiplayer Soccer, controls inspired by QWOP and Surgeon Simulator, and native OR support. It looks pretty interesting from the trailer.

Nah. The Witcher and Dragon Age are more hentai than this game
I still need to watch the game trailer.

Well, this is from the game:

http://i.imgur.com/aIQclFE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rjDWdxy.jpg

Not safe for work sorta.

Forgot about the nudity in Witcher 2. I didn't play that much of it.

I haven't played it myself yet but supposedly Bonnie was a strong and well liked female character in Red Dead Redemption.

Well, Bonnie was a damsel in distress (she was kidnapped and almost hung to death in one of her missions). Likewise, John's wife was a prostitute (who married John) prior to the game's events.

Zafir

Well, Bonnie was a damsel in distress (she was kidnapped and almost hung to death in one of her missions). Likewise, John's wife was a prostitute (who married John) prior to the game's events.
They're still above the majority of Rockstar's offerings though.

GTAV was rather disappointing for it though. I mean there wasn't really any major female characters outside of the Wife and Daughter, and even they weren't in that many missions.

HoosTrax

Rockstar Table Tennis I think had some crossover appeal.

Yeah I haven't played either of those, but it's nice to hear that they aren't entirely neglecting a certain demographic.

It would be interesting to see the gender breakdown of the 8 bajillion copies of GTA5 sold. My sister's interest in a game skyrockets if she can play a female, but my GF doesn't seem to have a strong preference.
Your sister might find the Saints Row games appealing. Yeah it bugs me more than it used to for some reason. As I get older, I find it harder to put myself into the position where I can enjoy the power fantasy aspect of gaming when I'm playing a male character. Although I can make exceptions if I play a male character I find physically attractive, which I imagine is similar to the experience guys have when playing games like Tomb Raider.

For character-based games, I think they try to appeal to either the power fantasy sensibility (Halo), or the sexual attraction sensibility (Tomb Raider), although some games are able to get around that by having a silent/visually ambiguous character (earlier versions of Samus Aran I suppose, and FPSs where your "character" is a generic-looking arm). And depending on who you are, some games will appeal to neither sensibility -- I would put Darksiders in this category -- I can't really put myself into Death's shoes, nor do I find him attractive.

random

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aerena -- MB-A4A861A1FB49B638 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 5 entrants total.
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 -- MB-448A4EED128BB031 - Taken by VoidZero. 5 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-DF092B411BD9C094 - Taken by fspm. 6 entrants total.

t1391727523z1.png

Tellaerin

Honest questions here, because I haven't played it: Was Bonnie's main role to be someone that the player has to rescue? If so, she was definitely a damsel in distress - the story revolves around rescuing her. If she's an otherwise competent character who gets into trouble and needs bailing out at some point in the story, rather than just a "rescue object", I don't think she qualifies.

Zafir

Honest questions here, because I haven't played it: Was Bonnie's main role to be someone that the player has to rescue? If so, she was definitely a damsel in distress - the story revolves around rescuing her. If she's an otherwise competent character who gets into trouble and needs bailing out at some point in the story, rather than just a "rescue object", I don't think she qualifies.
She's more of the latter, imo. She gets herself into a bit of trouble, but she lends a hand to John too in her own ways.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
She has a much larger role than to be a damsel in distress. To call her that is dismissive to the effort put into developing her character.

They're still above the majority of Rockstar's offerings though.

GTAV was rather disappointing for it though. I mean there wasn't really any major female characters outside of the Wife and Daughter, and even they weren't in that many missions.

and they were mostly fuck all annoying

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I see nothing wrong with Ultionus: A Tale Of Petty Revenge at all. As action platformers with shooting it's actually quite decent in the retro (late age) ZX Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga, NES, SEGA Master System style of stiff jumps, stand still and shoot, constant enemy respawn, etc.

It's by no means an exciting game, a decent shoot-em-up at section and the rest the action platformer that both stand firmly in the "been there, done that" category, but competent all the same and as a gift or cheap bundle purchase I say it's worth it. It's better than replaying Zillion II at worst.

Tizoc

For anyone who has Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 from Steam
Are there any mods to get them to run at 60 FPS assuming the original games were 60 FPS? For that matter any recommended visual mods to use?

Divius

Not a fan of Double Fine. Played both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend for a bit, finished neither. Other games do not appeal to me either, guess I will skip this bundle.

oipic

I know I'm hours late with this (good morning, SteamGAF), but gee, Child of Light looks wonderful. I see a play-through of this in my future.

Also, Aerena is quite good, and getting better. Well worth a look if you're at all into turn-based tactical thingies, or chess, for that matter. Devs are currently working on adding trading cards etc, too, for what that's worth.

catabarez

For anyone who has Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 from Steam
Are there any mods to get them to run at 60 FPS assuming the original games were 60 FPS? For that matter any recommended visual mods to use?

SA2 already runs at 60fps. Not sure about SA1.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Psychonauts -- MB-D97E9A34E9B39681 - Taken by binary

Dr Dogg

"Everyone who has joined the Steam In-Home Streaming group as of right now has been granted access to the streaming beta."

That's awesome news. Everybody who has access to this and a setup to use it should try this out at least once.

It's kinda lame that 2 of the Pendleton Ward prototypes are iOS (cupid/jerry)... I think the other two would be PC, but I'm not really in love with either of those ideas...

What to vote for? Hmmm. :\

No More McDonalds sounded like the most fleshed out idea to me but... zombies. Ughhh. I guess Little Pink Best Buds will be what I vote for.

As to the prototypes I like the sound of half of them. Just trying to narrow down what I'd like to play a full version of. Might take a while.

It's kinda lame that 2 of the Pendleton Ward prototypes are iOS (cupid/jerry)... I think the other two would be PC, but I'm not really in love with either of those ideas...

What to vote for? Hmmm. :\

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Shadowgrounds (of all games) got cards. Talk about random

HoosTrax

After looking at this list, I suppose I really should get around to playing FONV at some point, since that's the only modern one in the top ten that I haven't played yet. It really looks kind of drab and with muddy textures to boot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom