• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't it just the first wave of testing that's restricted to US?

There is no second wave. The first Steam Machines will be on the market soon and Valve has, for the time being, abandoned the idea of releasing its own hardware.

Newblade

If you don't know what this is check out https://www.humblebundle.com/doublefine.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Amnesia Fortnight 2012 -- MB-D50023FAB9F3DBBD - Taken by ricochetguro

Caerith

I do hope Valve will make a beta for the redesigned controller and make it international. I don't think regulations would cause any hurdles for controllers, unless I'm mistaken.

Controllers are small enough that they might get through customs okay, depending on which country and how corrupt they're feeling that day.

a few pandas in this thread complain time to time, doesn't it count?

I kinda skipped it, I shouldn't have?

I haven't watched all of it, but I really enjoyed what I've seen.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brutal Legend -- MB-E8A2A9A99EFD7E4A - Taken by Ogedai_Khan. 3 entrants total.

t1391786068z1.png
[/QUOTE]

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
gog can't have one, having to use client (even as a launcher) already means that you have online service of sorts. It's not really DRM yet, but very close, like the first step.
You might be right on the last part, bundles most likely hurt gog some, and help steam a lot.
Not at all, it could be just a downloader and launcher. Just like Steam and Origin for DRM-free titles, where you can keep playing them even after uninstalling the client.

Theories are nice, but reality is different, steam is DRM, in current state it is. It can't be argued around. I don't see how.
Oh, but it isn't. It won't be until the day where CEG is no longer optional.

Why would we care about faults, even if there are such to be found? I'm not willing to close my eyes and pretend that something isn't there because it can be so. Are you?
You're the one who cares about it, not me. I'm not pretending anything, I'm stating the facts. CEG is optional, there's no way around it. Devs aren't forced to use it, just like they aren't forced to release their games on Steam or GOG.

That depends on your country IP laws, in some downloading is completely legal.
Either way, you don't have to login to Steam either. The only difference between a pirated copy of a GOG game and a Steam game is that the latter probably requires a crack, since most games there have some form of DRM. But I'm willing to bet that the 99% of released games have been successfully cracked, so they are virtually the same.

Dr Dogg

It has been like that with other features and initiatives too. Like when it was revealed the harware beta would be US-only after all. That was ugly.

I really don't envy Valve with a userbase like this...

When Valve apologised (one of the first words they used was sorry) I won't deny I was disappointed but I completely understood their decision. As someone who imports a lot of stuff from outside the EU I know how expensive and a hassle it can be and how the costs can spiral out of control. I can't imagine how much of a pain shipping JaseC his platinum coated, diamond encrusted Steam Machine would have been with Australia's customs.

Really sorry guys - one more question (this is my first time buying a Humble Bundle) but is there an easier way to activate these games on steam then clicking through their steam key links? Its trying to get me to activate steam through the humble bundle website and steam isn't playing nice. The authorizaton codes I get emailed to me to allow the Humble Bundle website aren't working.

Caerith

There is no second wave. The first Steam Machines will be on the market soon and Valve has, for the time being, abandoned the idea of releasing its own hardware.
Ah, yeah guess I haven't been paying much attention to the hardware scene.

When Valve apologised (one of the first words they used was sorry) I won't deny I was disappointed but I completely understood their decision. As someone who imports a lot of stuff from outside the EU I know how expensive and a hassle it can be and how the costs can spiral out of control. I can't imagine how much of a pain shipping JaseC his platinum coated, diamond encrusted Steam Machine would have been with Australia's customs.
They'd probably seize his Steam Machine as contraband due to it not having large breasts. This is Australia we're talking about.

JaseC

get back to me when you can do it with most steam games ;)

I even don't know what argument is about anymore... Also I never played Knights & Merchants inspite of having them everywhere. Should I?

The topic I was referring to when this discussion started wasn't "Can Steam be DRM?" but rather "Are DRM-free games on Steam truly DRM-free?" Some people feel that they're not and can't quite explain why.

Really sorry guys - one more question (this is my first time buying a Humble Bundle) but is there an easier way to activate these games on steam then clicking through their steam key links? Its trying to get me to activate steam through the humble bundle website and steam isn't playing nice. The authorizaton codes I get emailed to me to allow the Humble Bundle website aren't working.

Nope. Humble Bundle did in the past offer actual keys but changed to the current redemption system back in October.

Go! Go! Nippon! is a visual novel about a guy visiting Japan for two weeks. He's going to stay with these two guys he knows of the internet and live with them for the period of the time.

EXCEPT, the two 'guys' he knew are actually girls, cause you know, zany fun, but also a underutilized plot point that some reason he thought going to go to Japan to stay with two people he hardly knows off the internet was a good idea. And it becomes evidently how little our character knows in the mean time.

He claims to be an expert on Japan. And he has the mentality that anything that is Japanese is automatically better as its Japanese. Yet for seeming so passionate about Japan and his expertise claims, he literally seems to know nothing about the country. And whenever he learns something new or gets amazed by something absolutely trivial, he only has one thing to say.

"Woooooooooooooooow!"

And he will say wow. A lot. I can't even count how many times he says it through the course of the game. And its usually over stupid stuff too. He is surprised early in the game they can walk around outside at night. And yes, this is something he says "Woooow" too.

There are two girls, and they both are dating options. In the game you choose which locations to go on which days, and at those locations you make choices, and what all you choose change story stuff, triggers special scenes, and changes which girl you go with. A actually pretty nice selection and adds some replaybility if you want it, as you can trigger a lot of different scenes in a playthrough.

And the game seems pretty innocent for the most part, except for two random walk-in-on-the-girl-naked scenes (one for each sister) that come out of left field.Or this random scene of the main character relishing in the fact toilets shoot water up your butt.
Woooow!"

There's more, but I don't want to delve into spoilers.

mate, that is sound so horrible it is wow-inducing

Tellaerin

Go! Go! Nippon! is a visual novel about a guy visiting Japan for two weeks. He's going to stay with these two guys he knows of the internet and live with them for the period of the time.

EXCEPT, the two 'guys' he knew are actually girls, cause you know, zany fun, but also a underutilized plot point that some reason he thought going to go to Japan to stay with two people he hardly knows off the internet was a good idea. And it becomes evidently how little our character knows in the mean time.

He claims to be an expert on Japan. And he has the mentality that anything that is Japanese is automatically better as its Japanese. Yet for seeming so passionate about Japan and his expertise claims, he literally seems to know nothing about the country. And whenever he learns something new or gets amazed by something absolutely trivial, he only has one thing to say.

"Woooooooooooooooow!"

And he will say wow. A lot. I can't even count how many times he says it through the course of the game. And its usually over stupid stuff too. He is surprised early in the game they can walk around outside at night. And yes, this is something he says "Woooow" too.

There are two girls, and they both are dating options. In the game you choose which locations to go on which days, and at those locations you make choices, and what all you choose change story stuff, triggers special scenes, and changes which girl you go with. A actually pretty nice selection and adds some replaybility if you want it, as you can trigger a lot of different scenes in a playthrough.

And the game seems pretty innocent for the most part, except for two random walk-in-on-the-girl-naked scenes (one for each sister) that come out of left field.Or this random scene of the main character relishing in the fact toilets shoot water up your butt.
Woooow!"

There's more, but I don't want to delve into spoilers.

...you've just sold me on this game. >.> Woooow!

Dr Dogg

The topic I was referring to when this discussion started wasn't "Can Steam be DRM?" but rather "Are DRM-free games on Steam truly DRM-free?" Some people feel that they're not and can't quite explain why.

Wait? Some people think an account system is DRM? Do they pick and chose which login credentials are DRM or are they all under that umbrella? Are my house or car keys DRM now?

To be frank a couple of selected devs did get it (not sure about any Australian though :p). But I imagine it's different to be prepared to send out, say, 3 kits to Scandinavia and 2 to UK, than "okay the results are in, we have to ship 1 to Siberia, 1 to India, 2 to Ughanda, 10 to Australia" etc.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wait? Some people think an account system is DRM? Do they pick and chose which login credentials are DRM or are they all under that umbrella? Are my house or car keys DRM now?
Yes they are. You can only enter your house 5 times, unless you revoke one of your entries. Besides, if your internet connection drops for some reason you won't be able to live there until it's back again.

Nope. Humble Bundle did in the past offer actual keys but changed to the current redemption system back in October.

Got it to work. I guess the first time I tried it I waited too long between the time they emailed the code and the time I input it in the Humble Bundle website.

Dr Dogg

To be frank a couple of selected devs did get it (not sure about any Australian though :p). But I imagine it's different to be prepared to send out, say, 3 kits to Scandinavia and 2 to UK, than "okay the results are in, we have to ship 1 to Siberia, 1 to India, 2 to Ughanda, 10 to Australia" etc.

Well what's done is done but it's been great to see the tear downs, the impressions, the videos of those that got it. Really now with SteamOS beta out in the wild there's nothing stopping people from making their own. I'm going to go on a massive assumption and say that most of those who were the most vocal were really only after free hardware.

Yes they are. You can only enter your house 5 times, unless you revoke one of your entries. Besides, if your internet connection drops for some reason you won't be able to live there until it's back again.

Hahaha with my internet connection I'd be screwed. Well I'm alright for tonight as we're off to watch The Wolf of Wall Street (massive OT deviation of smugness).

graywolf323

They're up at $5 a pop: Darksiders, Darksiders 2 and RFG. The Darksiders OST ought to be free considering it comes with the game.

Edit: The Darksiders OSTs and RFG OST were added to the Darksiders and Red Faction Franchise Packs respectively, so there's that.

I guess that's why 16 of my friends already own both Darksiders soundtracks

kinda BS they give them free to people who bought the franchise packs in the past but not to people who already owned everything before the franchise pack even existed

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished Master Reboot! Some impressions!

header_292x136.jpg

I kind of went into this game without knowing what to expect. And I can already see why this game is a bit hard to explain. It's an exploration game, but really exploration is somewhat limited and the game is fairly linear. The game is a horror game, but then it also is rather silly and really only parts of it are horror. It is described as a puzzle game but I wouldn't say that fully is true either.

Essentially, the game is about a future world where something has been created called the 'Soul Cloud'.Its a system where people can upload their memories, personality, and other traits of themselves into a saved system so then that data can be inputted into an artificial body, or to visit inside a constructed virtual world of the person's memories, linked together in a Tron-like hub world. The premise is interesting, and the story isn't bad, but I also didn't really find myself fully engaged in the story.

What the game really is basically is a series of levels that all have things in common, but also are pretty drastically different. In one early level you have an axe and you chop down trees in a forest. In another, you are driving a car and avoiding incoming traffic. In another, you are on a beach and using a metal detector to find a specific treasure. In yet another, you are on a plane and some sinister glowing-eyed flight attendant is hunting you, and you have to avoid being seen and caught by her.

This makes it sound like I'm explaining a minigame compilation or something, but it's not like that. The gameplay has core roots that are consistent, and the core mechanics of the game and some general design philosophies remain the same, just the objective and style of level you're in changes. It's also notable the game leans more in a an atmospheric direction than anything, so typically these goals are pretty fluff for the fun of it, and are rarely challenging, except for a few specific levels that are quite a bit more intense.

Music is good, and some of the graphics are honestly pretty to look at. A mixture between a clean smooth look and some vibrance and detail put into them.

It's not really one of those walking simulator 'experience' games, but I also can't think of another word to call it other than an experience game. The game does have puzzles, but most I thought were pretty easy, though sometimes they can be harder to work out as the puzzles are never really explained to you, you sort of just have to figure it out. This is true of a lot of the game's objectives, actually. The game hardly explains anything to you, you just sort of experiment and figure it out, though most of the game is pretty lazing so this is not really a problem. There are threats though, and sometimes far more pressure is put on the player to do things quickly and accurately, or to survive entities that can kill you. I will also admit while I wouldn't say the game as a whole was hugely terrifying, there were a few good scares that got me, and one level in particular legitimately made me freak out.

The variety of settings is also nice. You'll go through everything from a park, to a school, to a circus, to a hospital, to a beach, to a plane, to a library, and more.

I am going to say to give it a try if you are interested in experience-type games with a horror edge to them, and a bit more gameplay than what one may typically call an experience game. It's not the best game ever, it's missing that sort of impacting narrative or exceeding quality to it, but it does everything pretty good and I think its a good bit of fun while it lasts. Not super short either, lasting about 4-7 hours.

neoanarch

Jesus Christ this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I don't know if I will ever recover from this.

Football Manager 2014 has Workshop support

JaseC

It's a bit of that and also, I think, being uncomfortable with the idea that you have to use Valve's client to download your DRM-free games.

Dr Dogg

It's a bit of that and also, I think, being uncomfortable with the idea that you have to use Valve's client to download your DRM-free games.

Isn't it at the discretion of the publisher whether to use Steam's DRM features or not? Though I guess in some peoples eyes Valve is always the devil.

What does this mean? You can create stuff?

No more trawling through sortitoutsi for latest kits, badges, competition or transfer updates.

Edit: Plus custom tactics seam to be on there a lot so I guess you could upload scenarios and set challenges or what have you. I've been away from FM for a while to know where the community is at the moment.

alstein

It is DRM, though it's reasonable DRM as long as a company doesn't abuse it.

A few games on Steam are truly DRM free with just a little file moving (Dungeons of Dredmor, Mount and Blade)

Most of the folks who have issue with Steam, have the issue because they believe it would be very easy for Valve to abuse their market power (this is true), and that they will eventually do it (I'm not certain on that- if Valve did abuse their market power, there are alternatives, though it would take time)

I do wish Steam and another DD service were neck and neck in terms of market share though- it would make Steam even better as they'd have to compete and improve in the areas they're weak in (such as support)

JakeD

i once had a guy argue with me for an hour that the Genesis emulated games on steam had DRM because they did not include an installer.exe. no matter how many times i told him the entire program is a self contained folder with it's own .exe (and directx installers, basically everything you'd ever need to run the games)

i tested the folder on multiple computers just to prove my point but it didn't matter. some people are very stubborn on this issue.

on the other hand though, i do wonder why so many developers sell DRM free copies on humble/gog, yet use steamworks DRM for their steam releases

JaseC

Isn't it at the discretion of the publisher whether to use Steam's DRM features or not? Though I guess in some peoples eyes Valve is always the devil.

That's a bingo. What I meant is that I'd guess some people don't agree with being required to use Valve's own software to download one's DRM-free games, compared to GOG with which you can use whichever web browser you want, and they're erroneously throwing this under the DRM umbrella.

IA few games on Steam are truly DRM free with just a little file moving (Dungeons of Dredmor, Mount and Blade))

This isn't a comprehensive list, but Steam does indeed have its fair share of DRM-free titles.

Caerith

A few games on Steam are truly DRM free with just a little file moving (Dungeons of Dredmor, Mount and Blade)

Most of the folks who have issue with Steam, have the issue because they believe it would be very easy for Valve to abuse their market power (this is true), and that they will eventually do it (I'm not certain on that- if Valve did abuse their market power, there are alternatives, though it would take time)

I do wish Steam and another DD service were neck and neck in terms of market share though- it would make Steam even better as they'd have to compete and improve in the areas they're weak in (such as support)
A lot of the folks who have issue with Steam, however, believe that GOG couldn't and wouldn't abuse the same power.

Whether your games are on Steam or on GOG, someone who-is-not-you is holding them and has the potential to, voluntarily or involuntarily, restrict your access to them. Steam could go down, GOG could go down. Steam could turn evil, GOG could turn evil.

It's just headache-inducing trying to people who insist that Steam is evil and GOG is the embodiment of all that is pure and good, like they both don't make money off of digital content delivery.

Dr Dogg

To be fair when DRM is present in a title I've bought on Steam it's the most unobtrusive DRM I have ever used. I've had a iMac that's been sat in offline mode for a year and a half and had no problems (not discounting others that encountered the bug where they had to sign in again).

That's a bingo. What I meant is that I'd guess some people don't agree with being required to use Valve's own software to download one's DRM-free games, compared to GOG where you can use whichever web browser you want, and they're erroneously throwing this under the DRM umbrella.

Hahaha yeah I know what you meant but I was just throwing that out there as that most people complaints will always be aimed at Valve when it's not even them that's enacting DRM on said title. Regards to clients I've had so much hassle downloading stuff from GOG's website that using their installer is a must for me. I don't think some of the people complaining about Valves client were ever used to downloading patches from publishers websites on a dial up modem and have 10+ hours worth of progress lost and have to start again from scratch (curse you pre 1.6 CS).

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

1953 KGB Unleashed -- MB-6134DC20FFC95356 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.

t1391780308z1.png

JaseC

can someone refresh me on the available South Park region subs?

which is the censored/edited sub etc?

To clear up the South Park region-lock matter, the following region-locked subs are in use:

- Germany and Austria
- Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan
- Eastern Europe

Every single other territory shares a region-free sub and these subs can be activated within the aforementioned territories.

The Aussie and, I presume, German subs are censored.

A lot of the folks who have issue with Steam, however, believe that GOG couldn't and wouldn't abuse the same power.

Whether your games are on Steam or on GOG, someone who-is-not-you is holding them and has the potential to, voluntarily or involuntarily, restrict your access to them. Steam could go down, GOG could go down. Steam could turn evil, GOG could turn evil.

It's just headache-inducing trying to people who insist that Steam is evil and GOG is the embodiment of all that is pure and good, like they both don't make money off of digital content delivery.

And yet GoG is the one who had a major breach of customer trust when they closed down without notice.

JaseC

I was digging this thread and found that post of yours.
damn. so the Singapore version is too? we always enjoyed the same lack of censorship as the US versions

Yep. :( I'd just pick up a ROW copy of the game from a trader for $19/$20.

on the other hand though, i do wonder why so many developers sell DRM free copies on humble/gog, yet use steamworks DRM for their steam releases

Yeah, I can only assume that some devs are under the false impression that Steamworks games must use CEG. Divinty: Dragon Commander is probably the most recent example of a Steamworks game that is also DRM-free. It's the best of both worlds, really... unless you're one of those people who refuses to use Steam at all. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom