• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Getting into discussions with people who like GOG but loathe Steam because "it's DRM" tends is always interesting. In some cases people learn something new when it's explained that there are DRM-free games on Steam, which is great, but every now and then, when you're dealing with the more stubborn, the mental gymnastics sometimes come into play when they're asked, "Can you delineate the distinction that should be made between signing into a website to download your DRM-free GOG games and signing into a client to download your DRM-free Steam games?"

I like the "what will you do if Steam ever goes down" arguments. Mention that GOG actually did go down (as a prank, but whatever) and they'll tell you that (obviously) you should make multiple backups of all your games on physical media (which defeats the purpose of using GOG in the first place).

Kaleinc

Banned
Getting into discussions with people who like GOG but loathe Steam because "it's DRM" tends is always interesting. In some cases people learn something new when it's explained that there are DRM-free games on Steam, which is great, but every now and then, when you're dealing with the more stubborn, the mental gymnastics sometimes come into play when they're asked, "Can you delineate the distinction that should be made between signing into a website to download your DRM-free GOG games and signing into a client to download your DRM-free Steam games?"
If steam offline mode worked as expected the issue would be nonexistent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I like the "what will you do if Steam ever goes down" arguments. Mention that GOG actually did go down (as a prank, but whatever) and they'll tell you that (obviously) you should make multiple backups of all your games on physical media (which defeats the purpose of using GOG in the first place).

Incidentally, Steam shutting down wouldn't prevent people from downloading games, anyway, since there are a ton of third-party content servers.

Arthea

Incidentally, Steam shutting down wouldn't prevent people from downloading games, anyway, since there are a ton of third-party content servers.

This argument isn't fair, as you can't play quite a few games (I would assume most of my library) if steam is down. Isn't that true?
If you have downloaded gog games, you can play them under any circumstances, unless your PC dies or something.
There is difference, let's not pretend there isn't.
I'm a bit more touchy about it lately, as steam goes down too often for my liking.

Talking about coupons, anybody wants shattered horizon guest passes? or knows how to get rid of them? XD

send them to friends, I never keep guest passes in my inventory, send them the moment I get them.

PriitV

Are you sure they didn't expire? I still have a couple in my inventory that I can view just fine.

Well, I got a coupon after crafting a badge and unless they expire within 2 seconds, this is not a possibility. Can't see coupons using either the client, browser or browser without enhanced steam..

Deques

Freebies
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Spidy -- MB-57BA69AB381B545A - Taken by dinopoke. 3 entrants total.
Dollar Dash -- MB-22E7CFCD0FED9D93 - Taken by XShagrath. 2 entrants total.
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-47586B26C4244ADE - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-F22900621A5814C7 - Taken by schuey7. 2 entrants total.
Megabyte Punch -- MB-242E7F695671C73C - Taken by Camel Master. 1 entrants total.
Alien Rage OST -- MB-C80F23BAA5D8D912 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 1 entrants total.
1953 -- MB-0DDA904351EC49AF - Taken by Cyberquake. 1 entrants total.
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club -- MB-D1646F59568220C5 - Taken by didamangi. 2 entrants total.
Two brothers -- MB-E34300B1433BEC76 - Taken by Evrain. 3 entrants total.

t1391768699z1.png

Arthea

Will they dissappear from my inventory the moment I send them or do they need to accept them?

only when a person accepts them, so you better send them to someone that's active on steam.

edited: beaten yet again, am I slow today or what?

It's perfectly fair since the context is DRM-free games in particular.

but you see... all gog games are DRM-free, and most of steam games are not! When you exclude them all, what is left is hardly steam library (><)

JaseC

This argument isn't fair, as you can't play quite a few games (I would assume most of my library) if steam is down. Isn't that true?
If you have downloaded gog games, you can play them under any circumstances, unless your PC dies or something.
There is difference, let's not pretend there isn't.
I'm a bit more touchy about it lately, as steam goes down too often for my liking.

It's perfectly fair since the context is DRM-free games in particular.

Well, I got a coupon after crafting a badge and unless they expire within 2 seconds, this is not a possibility. Can't see coupons using either the client, browser or browser without enhanced steam..

Do they show up when you initiate a trade with someone? If not I'd either wait it out or submit a ticket.

Deques

More freebies. Some might be used. Sorry about that
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Electronic Super Joy -- MB-C62F3362CC9A3415 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.
Cognition EP2 -- MB-940725694D9BE8D0 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 7 entrants total.
Painkiller: Black Edition -- MB-9CF658CB84E18E0F - Taken by angular graphics. 4 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-F479F2C4FD56040A - Taken by Blue Ninja. 2 entrants total.
Shank 2 -- MB-02284E23B70FE233 - Taken by Frank Jaeger. 3 entrants total.
Slam Bolt -- MB-0601DE898D7196A2 - Taken by random. 2 entrants total.
Prime World Defenders -- MB-13A29F0C80C0B961 - Taken by oipic. 1 entrants total.
Satazius -- MB-BC0D311897B7C70A - Taken by FauX. 2 entrants total.
Fester Mudd -- MB-84CD56CB9B15DF83 - Taken by Tizoc. 1 entrants total.
Cognition EP1 -- MB-574C942F62F3B78F - Taken by DJSebolski. 1 entrants total.
Project Aftermath -- MB-E2E9B9916AF40918 - Taken by Evrain. 5 entrants total.
The Journey Down -- MB-B8DC95D7B698215E - Taken by Dambrosi. 3 entrants total.
Hard Reset -- MB-E2F9CCB0156C7F2B - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 1 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-25A763364A61F7FB - Taken by Reg. 3 entrants total.
Megabyte Punch -- MB-3788A0A5C2A92272 - Taken by eyeless. 1 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-E005C8CC53E025B3 - Taken by InfiniteNine. 3 entrants total.
Project Aftermath #2 -- MB-D3C6648E9E7A2D33 - Taken by spindoctor. 1 entrants total.
Project Aftermath #3 -- MB-43E2C4DCECD15509 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-08FBD75ACE97763B - Taken by Myshkin. 2 entrants total.
Starvoid -- MB-08230F2E7EAEB3F7 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 1 entrants total.
Survivor Squad -- MB-F4F7890621803CF4 - Taken by Caerith. 1 entrants total.
Ether Vapor -- MB-50107477DF91A8E3 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Skyward Collapse -- MB-12D6202607296866 - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
39 steps -- MB-D8DF137F66623EFC - Taken by _hekk05. 1 entrants total.
Knights of Pen and Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-90B834C46D90F21D - Taken by PriitV. 2 entrants total.

t1391769194z1.png

Arthea

If you want my honest opinion, as being in both camps somewhat.
Steam is much more social and noisy and have restrictions because of that. I do adore my activity feed (especially after our fl orgy), I only wish more people would spoiler hide some screenshots, because some are well... spoilery.
While gog is much more relaxed and personal, without restrains of any kind too.

Getting advantage of both seems like the right thing to do, only it makes me feel hypocritical somewhat, as I spend much more time playing steam games than gog ones now. :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I love how people complain that Steam is DRM.. yet the game is always online, wtf does it matter??

Being on Steam will do wonders for the game really. I will probably start playing again with a much more active playerbase.
Haven't seen that thread, but I find it painful to read uninformed opinions that equate Steam to a DRM system. As if CEG weren't entirely optional.

I don't think it makes sense to argue with such people, I was one of them not so long ago, and even if I'm not totally reverted as yet, I do see benefits of steam now. One just have to use it and decide for themselves, and gog is damn amazing, it really is, even if steam users usually don't see, what's so amazing about it.
Firstly it's DRM free, secondly gog is friendly :D
It has nice discounts and even more importantly fair prices for all, what steam still doesn't have, let's be fair.
What steam provides is community, hate it or not, workshop, leaderboards, cards and gaf group, which probably is most important of all! (><)
The only bad thing about GOG is that every now and then they shut down the service, or at least threaten to :p

(I'm kidding, of course)

Sarcasm

If you want my honest opinion, as being in both camps somewhat.
Steam is much more social and noisy and have restrictions because of that. I do adore my activity feed (especially after our fl orgy), I only wish more people would spoiler hide some screenshots, because some are well... spoilery.
While gog is much more relaxed and personal, without restrains of any kind too.

Getting advantage of both seems like the right thing to do, only it makes me feel hypocritical somewhat, as I spend much more time playing steam games than gog ones now. :(

What?

Use both.

Knurek

JaseC, the thing is - 99% of GOG's output is DRM-free. 99% of Steam's output is not DRM-free.
Saying that the developers have the option for being DRM-free on Steam doesn't amount to much if said devs don't use that option.
Also, you don't really need to login to GOG to download your bought games - given their nature, they are freely available on... less reputable sites.

I kind wish gog have like a super client like steam cause. And that made me wishing I use more gog, but can't due to stupid currency and cheap games on steam/humble bundle

Hard Reset worked, thanks Deques.

Man, my sleep schedule is so messed up. o_o I have class at 8:30am, but woke up at 5pm, and so probably won't bother sleeping until after classes end at noon. I tried staying up a day to get back on track, but it only made it worse. ;~;

Gives me time to work on my backlog homework, I guess.

Edit: top of the page? Uh... insomnia is bad, kids.

JaseC

JaseC, the thing is - 99% of GOG's output is DRM-free. 99% of Steam's output is not DRM-free.
Saying that the developers have the option for being DRM-free on Steam doesn't amount to much if said devs don't use that option.

I'm acutely aware one of why somebody would prefer GOG to Steam for DRM-free games, but that's not the topic I'm referring to -- it's whether or not Steam itself is DRM, and the answer is neither no nor yes (in other words, it can be, but it isn't required to be), however some people just can't see that.

Also, you don't really need to login to GOG to download your bought games - given their nature, they are freely available on... less reputable sites.

Sure, but this (as well as "Well, you can just back the games up!") is a moot point because it applies to both.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just noticed Go! Go! Nippon! is releasing on Steam in two weeks...

Oh the things I have to say about that game...

Arthea

I kind wish gog have like a super client like steam cause. And that made me wishing I use more gog, but can't due to stupid currency and cheap games on steam/humble bundle

gog can't have one, having to use client (even as a launcher) already means that you have online service of sorts. It's not really DRM yet, but very close, like the first step.
You might be right on the last part, bundles most likely hurt gog some, and help steam a lot.

I'm acutely aware one of why somebody would prefer GOG to Steam for DRM-free games, but that's not the topic I'm referring to -- it's whether or not Steam itself is DRM, and the answer is neither no nor yes (in other words, it can be, but it isn't required to be), however some people just can't see that.

Theories are nice, but reality is different, steam is DRM, in current state it is. It can't be argued around. I don't see how.

That's the devs' fault though, not Valve's.

Why would we care about faults, even if there are such to be found? I'm not willing to close my eyes and pretend that something isn't there because it can be so. Are you?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's the devs' fault though, not Valve's.

Same deal with Steam, just download a cracked version and you're fine. They are both illegal, since you're accessing a copy you haven't been allowed to.

But if Steam ever kicks the bucket and Valve doesn't provide a way of playing games that use CEG anymore, you can bet I won't think twice and download a crack for the games I've bought.

JaseC

gog can't have one, having to use client (even as a launcher) already means that you have online service of sorts. It's not really DRM yet, but very close, like the first step.
You might be right on the last part, bundles most likely hurt gog some, and help steam a lot.

A pessimist could be argue that a client would be the top of a slippery slope, but having the ability to access your GOG library through one wouldn't harm CDPR's hard DRM-free stance in any way; the user would just be swapping one library access method (browser) for another (client).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Go! Go! Nippon! is a visual novel about a guy visiting Japan for two weeks. He's going to stay with these two guys he knows of the internet and live with them for the period of the time.

EXCEPT, the two 'guys' he knew are actually girls, cause you know, zany fun, but also a underutilized plot point that some reason he thought going to go to Japan to stay with two people he hardly knows off the internet was a good idea. And it becomes evidently how little our character knows in the mean time.

He claims to be an expert on Japan. And he has the mentality that anything that is Japanese is automatically better as its Japanese. Yet for seeming so passionate about Japan and his expertise claims, he literally seems to know nothing about the country. And whenever he learns something new or gets amazed by something absolutely trivial, he only has one thing to say.

"Woooooooooooooooow!"

And he will say wow. A lot. I can't even count how many times he says it through the course of the game. And its usually over stupid stuff too. He is surprised early in the game they can walk around outside at night. And yes, this is something he says "Woooow" too.

There are two girls, and they both are dating options. In the game you choose which locations to go on which days, and at those locations you make choices, and what all you choose change story stuff, triggers special scenes, and changes which girl you go with. A actually pretty nice selection and adds some replaybility if you want it, as you can trigger a lot of different scenes in a playthrough.

And the game seems pretty innocent for the most part, except for two random walk-in-on-the-girl-naked scenes (one for each sister) that come out of left field.Or this random scene of the main character relishing in the fact toilets shoot water up your butt.
Woooow!"

There's more, but I don't want to delve into spoilers.

JaseC

Theories are nice, but reality is different, steam is DRM, in current state it is. It can't be argued around. I don't see how.

I can download Knights & Merchants from the GOG website and play it wherever and whenever I want without ever accessing GOG again. I can also download Knights & Merchants from Steam and play it wherever and whenever I want without ever accessing Steam again. In both cases the potentially limiting factor was the same: the ability to log-in to my account.

oipic

Prime World: Defenders worked perfectly, thanks Deques!

Had been aiming to pick this up since Xelios posted a favourable (and typically thoughtful and insightful) review of it several months back, so I'm chuffed! Thanks again mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom