• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I remember I was setting up The Last Story in Dolphin and had a ton of tweaking to do. Probably like 40 minutes worth. At some point one of my friends was like "what the fuck, dude?": I probably had a few people unfriend me that day.

Thorgal

You know , i just realized something minor from Steam :

Steam Game genre description is Crap !

EX, the game The bridge Is described as : Casual, Indie, Strategie.

The game is clearly a puzzle game so why is it not labeled under the genre "puzzle " ?

But Steam does not have a puzzle genre description .

I am not complaining but it is just something i noticed .

Backlogger

capsule_616x353.jpg

YES. I will be getting this for my son
for me
. But I will probably just get it for the 360 since that is where my entire LEGO game collection currently resides

The hilarity factor of Probably Archery lasts about 10 minutes before it's just a bad game intended to annoy you. I got it for free, but I'm really not sure why anyone would spend any amount of money on this.

The problem is that Risk of Rain does not have any option to change resolution..

290px-Risk_of_Rain_-_settings.png

That's all the available options.

You can change the Scale in the settings file. There you could choose a value like 1,6. Try everything out until it fits.

I did that because all Scaling factors were shit. 1 was too small and 2 was too big.

You know , i just realized something minor from Steam :

Steam Game genre description is Crap !

EX, the game The bridge Is described as : Casual, Indie, Strategie.

The game is clearly a puzzle game so why is it not labeled under the genre "puzzle " ?

But Steam does not have a puzzle genre description .

I am not complaining but it is just something i noticed .

Valve really needs to better genres description. They don't have one for fighting games.

The problem is that Risk of Rain does not have any option to change resolution..

290px-Risk_of_Rain_-_settings.png

That's all the available options.

I remember reading about it and changing a value in the .ini file could fix it.

Edit: beaten

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve really needs to better genres description. They don't have one for fighting games.

I honestly think the whole system needs to be reworked. I'd love to see a more "Netflix-style" genre system on Steam. Just imagine:

"RPG Games Starring Unlikely Heroes with Anime Hair"

or

"Racing Games with Characters from Other Games"

I honestly think the whole system needs to be reworked. I'd love to see a more "Netflix-style" genre system on Steam. Just imagine:

or

"Racing Games with Characters from Other Games"

One more reason to Valve hire you!

or

"Racing Games Starring Characters from Other Games"
If I had a direct line to Gabe Newell, now would be the time to use it. I would so appreciate that sort of sorting. If it included suggestions in the same way Netflix does, that would be even better.

"Games like Bad Rats: ................................................."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems like it is extremely easy to get a beta invite for Dead Island: Epidemic. I signed up last night and got a beta invite this morning. I guess they need testers since there does not seem to be much interest in it.

I signed up about 24 hours ago but have received nothing. :( Maybe I should have indicated that I've played Dead Island Riptide instead of being honest about it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't think it's feasible to have that option enabled when you cross a certain threshold of friends. When I logged on my brother's computer to setup family sharing the nonstop pop-ups were kind of hilarious.
I kinda got used to that. Besides, it's useful for those rare occasions where a friend I want to talk to or play something with logs in. But most of the time I pay little to no attention to the notifications.

I leave it enabled. I don't find it TOO annoying, I get annoyed more by the 'Steam Key : ' ones that you need to manually make go away.
Same here! Steam already shows a pop-up when you launch one of those games, why does it have the need to show a notification too?

Oh good, I feel less self-conscious about being defriended now. I always wonder if I'm being a pest to people if I constantly start and close games and cause that "popup" for "HoosTrax is now playing __________" to get spammed. (It's usually because the game in question keeps crashing, or I'm messing around with settings)

But I guess if that popup really bugs people, they have the option of disabling that notification in the settings.
Don't worry, I don't find that annoying! But now that you mention it, I ahd never thought about how my behavior could bother others. But sometimes I jump from indie game to indie game, trying them for a couple of minutes each, and you guys have to suffer my constant notifications. I feel like an asshole now :/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If I had a direct line to Gabe Newell, now would be the time to use it. I would so appreciate that sort of sorting. If it included suggestions in the same way Netflix does, that would be even better.

"Games like Bad Rats: ................................................."

One more reason to Valve hire you!

If I were involved in updating the system, I would definitely offer suggestions based on your recently played / purchased games. Similar to Netflix, I would also incorporate things like your Steam Reviews. You played this game for X number of minutes - did you like it? If you did, we could recommend similar games. If not, that would impact your recommendations as well.

I would also allow people to tag their own genres, rather than leaving it up to the developer or publisher. Steam has over 75 million users, a lot of which are bothered by the way games are currently categorized into genres. Why not use their collective opinions rather than rely on a company? A company can financially benefit by calling their RTS an RPG because it means they'll sell more copies.

Overall, I think users just want to help each other.

On thing you can try is change the resolution of your desktop before launching the game .

I'll try both options, changing my desktop res, and then the .ini file, but I think the second one will work better, since I won't need to change the desktop res every time I want to play the game, thx ;)

If I were involved in updating the system, I would definitely offer suggestions based on your recently played / purchased games.

I would also allow people to tag their own genres, rather than leaving it up to the developer or publisher. Steam has over 75 million users, a lot of which are bothered by the way games are currently categorized into genres. Why not use their collective opinions rather than rely on a company? A company can financially benefit by calling their RTS an RPG because it means they'll sell more copies.

There just needs to be a scam genre added for users to assign games too.

If I were involved in updating the system, I would definitely offer suggestions based on your recently played / purchased games. Similar to Netflix, I would also incorporate things like your Steam Reviews. You played this game for X number of minutes - did you like it? If you did, we could recommend similar games. If not, that would impact your recommendations as well.

Awesome ideas man.

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island: Epidemic #2 -- MB-4CC7F546F9DC9702 - Taken by dk_
Dead Island: Epidemic -- MB-4705A1D4DAD64090 - Taken by The Grim Heaper
Dead Island: Epidemic #3 -- MB-C22F71AB4D8DB49A - Taken by jshackles

For anyone that wants an invite.

I signed up about 24 hours ago but have received nothing. :( Maybe I should have indicated that I've played Dead Island Riptide instead of being honest about it.

I was completely honest and said I didn't play Riptide. I did say that I also played MOBAs and that I had experience in the genre (which I do).

jshackles

There just needs to be a scam genre added for users to assign games too.

Rather than a genre, this could easily be addressed by adding certain questions to the review process. Lots of websites do this - a system of stars, or a "on a scale of 1 to 10" etc.

Things like:

"I feel like this game is a good value"
"I had a lot of fun playing this game"

Things like this could help easily build good metrics for things buyers look for when purchasing a game. It would also cut down on the discussion forums being crowded with threads like "Don't buy this game, it's a scam" or "Don't buy this game, it's not very fun!".

It would also be a good way for developers and publishers to get better and more constructive feedback from their users.

But what do I know?

For anyone that wants an invite.

Thanks! Gonna check this beta out.

DocSeuss

Heh I think I got caught up in his most recent friends list culling as well, because he unfriended me a few days ago. Shame -- he always had enjoyable reviews to read.

It's a curse. I've got some really popular reviews, and I get like... HUNDREDS of friend requests. I have to start cutting people, because it's like 300 people now, and I barely know who these people are. If Valve had some sort of Follow feature like Xbox One, that'd be awesome. I use Steam friends for chatting.

Such passion. Wow.

Truly the new Oldman of our times.

One more invitation, since the email just came in:

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island: Epidemic -- MB-95A5FE5633B8810A - Taken by wilflare

Evrain

Oh hell yeah, I get to try out this

high quality

zomba
For some reason, I keep reading that as "Zumba". And is quite unsettling.
For something completely different, I've been eyeing some gameplay footage of Outlast: very nice title, perfectly in the vein of Amnesia, however I can't understand nor accept how the player character, for some reason, is "incapable of combat" (if one is aiming for realism, then it's logic to admit someone would grab the nearest impromptu weapon, if only for placebo effect) or that there is no winning condition (think Zomboid). Can any of you recommend a bona fide horror game where a) there is a winning condition that is not "you die" b) the player character can actually use weapons?
The Evil Within can't be released soon enough I'm afraid.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was completely honest and said I didn't play Riptide. I did say that I also played MOBAs and that I experience (which I do).

I... uh... I think I may have forgotten to confirm my registration, though "Thank you for your interest in playing DIE!" is ringing a bell.

after half an hour I'm thinking about restarting revengeance on a harder difficulty (on normal now)

yay or nay?

I'm terribad at these games and played through it on Hard. Much more satisfying. Some of the boss fights get take a while, but the consensus is Hard is where 95% of people should start.

FYI, there is an NDA for the game. So you cannot talk about it or share photos.

Rather than a genre, this could easily be addressed by adding certain questions to the review process. Lots of websites do this - a system of stars, or a "on a scale of 1 to 10" etc.

Things like:

"I feel like this game is a good value"
"I had a lot of fun playing this game"

Things like this could help easily build good metrics for things buyers look for when purchasing a game. It would also cut down on the discussion forums being crowded with threads like "Don't buy this game, it's a scam" or "Don't buy this game, it's not very fun!".

It would also be a good way for developers and publishers to get better and more constructive feedback from their users.

But what do I know?

Thanks! Gonna check this beta out.

Oh hell yeah, I get to try out this

high quality

zomba

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom