• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

I think Steam BPM needs a voice command feature based off of Glados, to berate/demean/harangue you...

What about the Heavy from TF2? I think his voice would be trololo everytime you buy a game on steam he makes that sandvich eating noise :D

BC013A39017AAB3921347E35447870EF66AB81E6

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But this is already possible using the client as the redemption method, having the key redemption method web based wouldn't exactly stop people that wanted to do this from doing it. I suppose it would make things easier...

Well, I'd argue that process hijacking is significantly more difficult than web session spoofing, but also that process hijacking wouldn't be multi-threadable while web session spoofing would be. I guess using an AutoHotkey or some other macro setup to click on specific pixels and type in content on an automated basis would be a fairly easy way to do it, so there would be that option. I know they have a filter that kicks in after so many key redemption failures, but it still seems like web redemption might open new challenges.

Have you already programmed one of these? Is that what you're saying? :p

kiguel182

I just installed Borderlands 2 from the free weekend on my mac but when I start it I get this error : "Failed to find MyDocumentsSubDirName = key in DefaultEngine.ini.Force quitting".

Anybody had a similar problem?

I'll probably just have to go to Windows and install it, bummer.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The latter. The ability to redeem keys via the website is one feature I wish Valve would ape from Desura.
I like that about Desura. It redeems them in less than 2 seconds, which makes me wonder why does the Steam client freeze for several seconds when doing the same.

If that was possible it'd be possible--trivial, actually, like an hour or two of work for an inexperienced programmer-- to write a bot that scours the internet for Steam keys and redeems them on an automated basis. The Anti-Modbot.
This is true, guess we can't have nice things :/

Though I believe people can do the same now, but they have to make the script interact with the client instead of just a web page.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, I'd argue that process hijacking is significantly more difficult than web session spoofing, but also that process hijacking wouldn't be multi-threadable while web session spoofing would be. I guess using an AutoHotkey or some other macro setup to click on specific pixels and type in content on an automated basis would be a fairly easy way to do it, so there would be that option. I know they have a filter that kicks in after so many key redemption failures, but it still seems like web redemption might open new challenges.

Have you already programmed one of these? Is that what you're saying? :p

I haven't programmed a bot, no. But I'm intimately familiar with web input validation. I think that not having web redemption of Steam keys (at least, not available to the user at this time) is creating a bit of "security by obscurity" because as you say, it's more difficult to program something that interacts with both the web and the client process than it is to just program something that interacts with multiple web technologies.

But I think that the process could have sufficient validation in place to prevent this sort of bot while still allowing the end users (paying customers) to redeem their keys on the web. For starters, you would obviously require that the user be logged in to Steam in order to redeem a key. And just like the desktop client, you could lock a user out of key redemption after 3-4 invalid attempts. Similarly, you could require them to re-authenticate after that ban had been lifted.

Of course, nothing you do (either client-based or web-based) is going to stop someone who is determined to undermine your system from doing so. The important thing is that you make it as difficult as possible and have systems in place to detect users who you believe may be abusing the system.

Derrick01

Banned
The story stuff. Anything from the Season Pass : Captain Scarlett, Torgue, Big Game Hunt, Dragon Keep.

I played all of them except Torgue and enjoyed them enough with my friend. We got them pretty cheap so that helped too. I wasn't too fond of big game hunt but the ending was fucking hilarious and caught me off guard.

Backlogger

Finally caved and bought the simulator bundle on Bundle Stars. I really want to build me some bridges
and cut wood

Also, I am near the end of Bulletstorm. What a surprisingly entertaining game.
The best part so far in terms of comedy is when you are trying to escape from the ship with the DNA bomb in it and you are making your way through crawl spaces, thinking you are about to escape only to end up in the room where you started. I literally laughed out loud.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Should we expect to get keys if we bought one of those bundles? (Debut 8, specifically).

Yes:

The Future
Once these things are squared away, I'll be returning to the core game and adding even more. I've got level concepts I'm excited to toy with, and I intend to release these levels as free updates. Love will launch at $1.99 (though it will eventually retail for $2.99), and everyone who bought the game through other services will receive a Steam Key as soon as I am able to give those out. I'll also add support for the Steam Controller as soon as I get my hands on one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The "recently updated" section just hit the home page.

wUlRmeg.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally caved and bought the simulator bundle on Bundle Stars. I really want to build me some bridges
and cut wood

Also, I am near the end of Bulletstorm. What a surprisingly entertaining game.
The best part so far in terms of comedy is when you are trying to escape from the ship with the DNA bomb in it and you are making your way through crawl spaces, thinking you are about to escape only to end up in the room where you started. I literally laughed out loud.

Yeah, Bulletstorm is a treat on all levels. Fantastic game, and the humor WORKS. Legitimately funny game.

jshackles

Oreoleo

I haven't been able to see other people's previous aliases for at least a day or two now, anyone else? edit: still works from their community profile but that's SO INCONVENIENT ;(

Keys are up for Love in the retro groupee

Not the Love I was expecting ;(

Arthea

I did huge work today, I finally checked all games that gotten steam keys in last year, found a few and redeemed, but there are still some mysteries left. For example Deadly 30, according to wiki, it had keys added, but I can't find how I bought it, and there is no steam key in desura. So, it's lost cause, no?

edited: on totally unrelated note, olympics opening ceremony was nice, no?

edited 2: what's up with all Dead Island: Epidemics? Was it in some bundle or something?

If you sign up and get accepted for the beta on or before 2/6/2014 then you get 4 additional invites for the closed beta.

I see, thanks

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I officially own more games on Desura than I have ever owned on any other non-Steam platform ever. I have never played a game on Desura.

Benedict

When can we expect to get keys from IndieRoyale for The Debut 8 bundle games?
Both Love and Hero Siege shows up Steam key info in Desura but when pressing the button this comes up:
"You need to get keys from Indie Royale where this game was purchased."

Arthea

I officially own more games on Desura than I have ever owned on any other non-Steam platform ever. I have never played a game on Desura.

I still own more games on steam, and probably even gog, but it's getting close. And I've played like 2 of them or something. Really we are so spoiled, so spoiled, it's unbelievable almost. (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom