• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

creslin_black

Neo Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #2 -- MB-FDB15E70CC564E55 - Taken by kafiend
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-C76DC5F10230BDF0 - Taken by BertleTheTurtle
ARMA #2 -- MB-B8F0843254A9EE83 - Taken by ussjtrunks
ARMA -- MB-6583C3F9CE116266 - Taken by dk_[/QUOTE]

I have $25 in card money. What should I buy?

I'm thinking Double Dragon Neon and preordering Strider at the moment.

I already have South Park and I'll get Thief from a radeon gold key.

dk_

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #2 -- MB-FDB15E70CC564E55 - Taken by kafiend
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-C76DC5F10230BDF0 - Taken by BertleTheTurtle
ARMA #2 -- MB-B8F0843254A9EE83 - Taken by ussjtrunks
ARMA -- MB-6583C3F9CE116266 - Taken by dk_
[/QUOTE]

Thaaaank you!!! :-D But there was no key in the modbot pm.

This is all I got:

d8b1Drs.png

kulapik

Try reloading? It's been a while since I played so I'm having a hard time thinking of if that has happened to me before. Are you playing co-op? Could be that someone else turned in the mission?

I'm playing alone, I shut off the game a few times.

I'll guess that I will sadly have to stop playing it, added to the fact that it makes my computer shut down when I change map :(

Parsnip

Maybe there were only two games in the giveaway, two Arma's specifically, but modbot had parsing trouble with the codes for some reason.

Just a guess though.

I'm playing alone, I shut off the game a few times.

I'll guess that I will sadly have to stop playing it, added to the fact that it makes my computer shut down when I change map :(

Just figure out where you were supposed to go (via guide or something) and go there to see if it triggers?

Are you sure you should be getting a quest marker? I don't think ALL the quests have them. Collect X number of something or other.

Eanan

Thanks for HAWX derExpert!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Eanan:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Gravity badgers -- MB-6724CDC08A1169C6 - Taken by maneil99

kulapik

Just figure out where you were supposed to go (via guide or something) and go there to see if it triggers?

Are you sure you should be getting a quest marker? I don't think ALL the quests have them. Collect X number of something or other.

It definitely had marker, no quest shows it.

Man, I hope BL2 runs than this :( :( :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when I launch some games now, instead of the usual pop up window asking if I want steam to make alterations, now it says its an unknown program and its not steam.exe, it says steamservice.exe

whats up with that, should i be worried?

HoosTrax

I feel like I should be watching the Olympics opening ceremony instead of thread browsing...but I kind of don't feel like going blind from looking at the hideous Team USA uniforms.

Edit: jesus...ok have to look away from the TV now

when I launch some games now, instead of the usual pop up window asking if I want steam to make alterations, now it says its an unknown program and its not steam.exe, it says steamservice.exe

I didn't notice that, wow. I've been more concerned with the fact that Steam tries to install DirectX/etc every time I launch nearly half of my games, even though the needed libraries are already there after installing them the first time.

Miker

Man, Bionic Commando Rearmed is awesome. Those controls, though. The controls manage to be tight, perfect, yet incredibly frustrating all at once.

Turfster

I didn't notice that, wow. I've been more concerned with the fact that Steam tries to install DirectX/etc every time I launch nearly half of my games, even though the needed libraries are already there after installing them the first time.

They pretty much have to do that. There's 50 billion versions of DX that aren't all compatible, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

They pretty much have to do that. There's 50 billion versions of DX that aren't all compatible, and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Oh I know that much, but doing it every time I start a game? It didn't use to do that. The games launch just fine when I hit no on the UAC window anyway, but still.

Turfster

Yep. It hasn't affected anything so far, so it's not really a big deal. Just one more click to get into (some) games, really.

If it bugs you, you can always delete the directories under the redist dir for the games you play most. That should stop it from doing it. (Well, it'll try to do it, find the files aren't there and just go on)

Khronico

It's intended to be played co-op. Have you played it co-op?

Well, I only tried single player just to test out the game and see if it ran. For some reason the graphics were glitching out and it looked like it was being filtered through a heat map (Really strange colors).

I did manage to play a bit before getting weary of the graphical glitches. For some reason the guns YOU use in Takedown are ridiculously inaccurate to the point of hilarity (e.g. aiming down sights at an enemy only a few yard ahead and burst firing a full mag only to miss every shot), and the terrorists weapons are pinpoint lasers (headshots from across the map). From what I saw the enemy AI was... alright.

Overall it has the framework for a really good, tactical shooter like rainbow six, but it's just too buggy and glitchy. It's just a fundamentally broken experience right now. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months and see if they fixed some more issues.

If anyone is considering getting it right now, MAYBE get it because the devs are actually trying to fix it up, but don't expect a good game right now. Get Doorkickers. Or Rainbow Six 3. They are both on steam and are fantastic games.

Turfster

Thats y i figured id be able to get it for like 20 now. I woulda thought gta5 woulda made its price sink quickly, seems i was wrong

There's no confirmed GTA 5 for PC yet, so there's no reason for a drop...
Of course, the console versions haven't dropped either.
Like I said, Deep Silver are greedy bastards (no, I still haven't forgiven them for that region locking bullshit)

Somebody on ebay is hawking it for 18. That might be a winner as long as hell email me the code and not do the ebay mailing it bc rules bullshit.

I heard it was bad but man :(

Seemed so good in promise before release too.
Designer behind it had a non-existant track record for "military sim" type games. No, G.R.A.W. of all things doesn't count. Takedown never seemed good in premise and during its campaign it didn't have anything substantial to show either.

I feel bad for not remembering the name of a similar FPS that was put on Kickstarter around the same time (with a playable build), one which did seem like it could've been legitimately good... but unlike Takedown it failed to reach its goal.

Seems like nobody cared for Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender? It's nothing special, just Defender with cute kitties and at the end the difficulty spikes a little too much on 'normal' but damn those kitties are cute. Just look at them and the wonderfully animated 16Bit graphics in general. Plus the soundtrack is lovely so for the price I highly recommend the game if you want a not too complex 2D shooter, got about 5 hours out of it. Only thing missing in online coop but there are leaderboards.
Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender is surprisingly well made. You wouldn't expect it when you hear that kind of name and when you look at the screenshots, but the 'clean' pixel art, the relaxing soundtrack and the responsive controls gave me the impression that at minimum the developer team behind this knows how to make competent, straight-forward 2D games. For as much as I can base that around playing a single title of theirs, admittedly.

I know what you mean with the alleged difficulty spikes; level 18 was a pain-in-the-ass for me (which took me noticeably longer to complete than any other stage before and after it) and it's quite easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of enemies in the seemingly final world that follows it up. Aqua Kitty's never brutally hard thus far nor do I think it's unfair, but the difficulty curve isn't smooth beyond a certain point. I think I need to strategize differently though, when deciding which enemy types and power-ups to prioritize.

You know, the perfect solution to region lock is to add choices to steam store, let the customers decide which version to buy, the cheaper locked version, or the more expensive ROW version.

I know this is not going to get implemented, because this makes too much sense.

God damn New Vegas is awesome. I'm glad I played it before I played Fallout 3 because the difference really is night and day.

I mean what other game lets you go inside the mouth of a giant dinosaur statue?

Sorry for the non modded graphics

The quest involving that dinosaur is very intetesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

so are you saying you noticed this aswell?

Derrick01

Banned

I noticed about half an hour ago in my task manager that Enslaved does that for me. I tried a few other games but none of them brought it up and from what I can tell it doesn't go away until you close and restart Steam. I was about to ask the same question here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom