• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

Is the Marvel Lego game worth getting? I haven't played a Lego game in ages and it seems pretty cool, I think

The Disney factor means it will probably be removed from Steam. I'd guess it won't go cheaper than $8 before that happens. If that's not reason enough to buy, I don't know what is... =P

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Disney factor means it will probably be removed from Steam. I'd guess it won't go cheaper than $8 before that happens. If that's not reason enough to buy, I don't know what is... =P

I don't think Lego Marvel is a flight risk at this stage. Acti abandoned its Marvel licence (aside from The Amazing Spider-Man, which is safe due to it being tied to the ongoing film series) and while Capcom's wasn't renewed it's also the only casualty; I think it's safe to say Disney's cut what ties it'd intended to. Having said that, though, $8 is bargain regardless.

Why is Love early access? The information just says 'hey its content complete but its early access for lower price and an earlier release date'. That doesn't really seem to be what early access was meant for.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh my. What did you go and do to me, Humble Store?

2Bx2LAi.png

I didn't ask for this.

Why is Love early access? The information just says 'hey its content complete but its early access for lower price and an earlier release date'. That doesn't really seem to be what early access was meant for.

Content complete isn't complete. It says you can buy in to early access for a cheaper price before the release, that's exactly what Early Access is. Once upon a time content complete meant "Beta" but god knows what beta and alpha mean these days.

By being part of the Early Access group, you can help shape Love to be a polished experience, as well as get to enjoy the game at a lower price before the main release.”

topyy

I just finished Hero of the Kingdom (2.5 hours, give or take). It's a very unique game. Basically you're presented a top-down isometric screen that looks a little bit like Age of Empires 2 or HoMM3 or something. You click through text prompts on the screen in a sort of combination text adventure and hidden object game. You become a hero of your kingdom by moving through screens and helping people out. Maybe someone lost their son, so you hidden object find him. Nothing is difficult, it'll just be like you see a patch of mushrooms, and you click it so you get mushrooms added to your inventory. Or you are on your boat and click a barrel underwater to salvage it. So not really hidden object, more like click-to-acquire. Maybe a farmer needs someone to go to town to sell his flour, so you get flour, click to switch screens to the town, and sell the flour to a merchant. Your inventory has dozens of different types of commodities that you manage, flowers, eggs, swords, handymen, antlers, pearls, etc. Across the world various merchants buy and sell various commodities. There's no actual difficulty in that it seems like it's impossible to make a bad transaction. If you just keep buying and selling stuff and foraging and fishing and hunting you'll eventually get enough of what you need or enough money to buy what you need. I really can't compare it to any other game I've ever played. I had a fun time playing through it. I guess I wasn't really playing. Just kind of clicking everywhere.

I also laughed every time I'd go into some big climactic battle and my guy would be like "We scored a crushing victory over the Dark Goblins. Oh and all of my soldiers died. We will miss them." and then -10 soldiers in my inventory. Hahaha. Made them feel very disposable.

One flaw: The game autosaves and when you beat the game it erases your saves, meaning that if you want to get all the achievements you should do so BEFORE fighting the last boss (the last boss is clearly marked and identified).

so I got 100% with 9 hours @@
it is an easy 100% game after you know what to do.

Is there any reason why nearly all of the pictures in Steam community would stop loading for me? I've tried on two different computers, exactly the same thing. I reset my internet, that didn't fix it either. I can't trade because my inventory just continuously tries to load... it's weird. I thought maybe it was on Valve's end, but I asked a friend and they said it looks fine for them.

Suggestions?

*Edit - Nevermind, it fixed itself! I spent half an hour trying things, then as soon as I post it fixes itself.

JakeD

I don't think Lego Marvel is a flight risk at this stage. Acti abandoned its Marvel licence (aside from The Amazing Spider-Man, which is safe due to it being tied to the ongoing film series) and while Capcom's wasn't renewed it's also the only casualty; I think it's safe to say Disney's cut what ties it'd intended to. Having said that, though, $8 is bargain regardless.

yeah i don't think i've ever seen lower than $5 for even the oldest lego games. good deal even without the possible marvel issue

Deques

Just in case you have any confusion about where the point of no return is:

The last boss is
the third fight inside the portal map. You'll need ten soldiers, eleven blue potions, eleven red red potions and I think maybe a certain number of swords and shields. His name is the Dark Lord. You fight him in an area with a sort of castle tower.
Thanks for the tip

Zeliard

Curious to see the Early Access price for Dead State. Lowest KS tier featured the digital version @ $15 with a note that it was "nearly half the launch price," so ~$24.99 seems likely.

Impressions should be interesting. I wasn't a backer but on the outside looking in, development has seemed rather... problematic?

Edit: oh the Steam page already notes the price in the Q&A, and it is in fact $24.99

Derrick01

Banned
Curious to see the Early Access price for Dead State. Lowest KS tier featured the digital version @ $15 with a note that it was "nearly half the launch price," so ~$24.99 seems likely.

Impressions should be interesting. I wasn't a backer but on the outside looking in, development has seemed rather... problematic?

Edit: oh the Steam page already notes the price in the Q&A, and it is in fact $24.99

I think the only issue with the development was they ran out of money and had to put it on hold for a while. If I remember from the kickstarter they said the people they had weren't even working on it full time, just contributing on their own on their off time from their actual jobs. Part of the reason for the kickstarter was to be able to hire them full time.

Aaron

One flaw: The game autosaves and when you beat the game it erases your saves, meaning that if you want to get all the achievements you should do so BEFORE fighting the last boss (the last boss is clearly marked and identified).
Thanks for the tip. I'm currently playing through this game myself right now, and I'm really enjoying it. Would like to 100% it if possible, but won't sweat it too much. Definitely an original style of game. My only minor complaint is the writing is rather poor. Better story would have gone a long way considering it's still images and text.

Backlogger

I quit ESO during the loading screen at the end of the tutorial and when I returned, my character dropped from the sky and died instantly. And it said that I still needed to complete the tutorial.

I got stuck on a loading screen after getting sucked up into that portal. Let it sit for a while too just in case. Some textures seemed incomplete also. They also need to scale the UI better for 1440p monitors. Some of the buttons seem like they are too small. For the 15 minutes I played though I could see myself liking the game. Too bad its $15 a month to play though. That pretty much kills it for me.

HoosTrax

Love seeing all of the people trying out Hero of the Kingdom. It became a bit of a personal sleeper hit for me and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The writing is definitely fairly basic though, almost like they were targeting a young audience.

Tizoc

Alright GAF, the following is how I've categorized my Steam games so far:
YEHY7Z8.png

Here the games that are currently uncategorized:
K4jNscz.png

5pQz7vU.png

K0atYp8.png

I'd appreciate some suggestions on what games should be put into what group or folder.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

1. There are leaderboards but you can't access them
2. The game has play stats but you can't access them
3. Several of the achievements don't work properly
4. There's no place in the game to view key bindings at all -- default is A jump, S set spawn point, F2 return to menu, ESC exits game entirely with no prompt at all; enter does not work on menus. It's also impossible to change bindings.
5. There are bugs with audio and mode selection
6. The game doesn't have a level editor yet (not sure if it'll get one)
7. Game doesn't have trading cards yet and will get them
8. The game comes with a bunch of levels from an older version of the game's engine, but you can't access them without rummaging through the directories

Levyne

Banned
My categories are

Finished
In Progress
No Interest
Time Kill (Super Hexagon, audiosurf, things like that)
Not Started
Junk

Oddly enough, most games are in finished

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alright GAF, the following is how I've categorized my Steam games so far:
http://i.imgur.com/YEHY7Z8.png[IMG]

Here the games that are currently uncategorized:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K4jNscz.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5pQz7vU.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K0atYp8.png[IMG]

I'd appreciate some suggestions on what games should be put into what group or folder.[/QUOTE]

I would dump like 95% of that in a "Never Going to Play" category.

HoosTrax

1. There are leaderboards but you can't access them
2. The game has play stats but you can't access them
3. Several of the achievements don't work properly
4. There's no place in the game to view key bindings at all -- default is A jump, S set spawn point, F2 return to menu, ESC exits game entirely with no prompt at all; enter does not work on menus. It's also impossible to change bindings.
5. There are bugs with audio and mode selection
6. The game doesn't have a level editor yet (not sure if it'll get one)
7. Game doesn't have trading cards yet and will get them
8. The game comes with a bunch of levels from an older version of the game's engine, but you can't access them without rummaging through the directories
Good to know. I got a copy of it from Deques, but I might hold off on it for now -- I have a hard time going back to games that I already played once.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
11AKqgV.png

Finished it just now. No idea if my stats are any good for a first playthrough. Still didn't like the pixel perfect platforming, but oh well. I think I'll check out the extras and then call it quits.

Poor captain. ;_;7

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Good to know. I got a copy of it from Deques, but I might hold off on it for now -- I have a hard time going back to games that I already played once.

Just as an FYI: The game takes about 10-15 minutes to finish. It's designed to be replayed again and again to lower the number of times you die and increase your speed. Many levels have shortcuts built in. The highest score I've gotten so far is an A-, and it seems the game has an A++. The lowest deaths I've gotten so far is 15-20 or so, but there's a mode where you only have one life. So if you're a "play it and forget it" kind of person, you're not going to get anything out of this game. You have to replay.

Phinor

You're in luck, the fuckers set the prices to pounds for Polish IPs. Meaning they are usually 40% more expensive than Steam (which is already kind of pricey due to 1$ = 1€ bollocks).

Pound prices are just about always less than euro prices. Pound prices actually compete with dollar prices quite often. I'd much rather have £ than € prices in GMG (although obviously $ is the best by far).

rtcn63

Origins was a step down from the prior Batman games, but assuming they've gotten rid of the major glitches, it's not bad.

Knurek

Pound prices are just about always less than euro prices. Pound prices actually compete with dollar prices quite often. I'd much rather have £ than € prices in GMG (although obviously $ is the best by far).

40 pounds (50€) for Stick of Truth on GMG, vs 40€ on Steam. Nope, nope, nope.
40 pounds for Batman Origins on GMG, vs 37€ on Steam. Not even their voucher will offset the difference.
GMG can go suck donkey dick for all I care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom