• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I knew the name Gun Metal was familiar.
It was that old Xbox game that my mom was going to grab for my dad, but then I told her not to because Unreal Tournament was better.....Man that was ages ago.

Grief.exe

Mmh, so guys I have this Acer Aspire 3613WLMI on hand. Old shit. Very old, veryyyyy shitty. Slow as all hell. Is it me being used to modern computers or what ?
What do you say ? Just update it, reinstall XP, dare dabbling with Linux ?
Hell, must be 5 minutes and it is still trying to open the uninstall center in XP...

First thing you want to do is just give up and do a complete reformat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Playing Papers, Please. Not a big fan so far. I love the concept and setting of this game, but actually playing it starts to drag real fast. Which is the point I guess, but as a result I want to be done with it quickly. I'm at day 13 or so. What I do like are the unexpected interruptions and events (
like the underground movement trying to recruit you. I just got a huge bribe, which I kindly accepted. I'd seen that ending 1 & 2 a few times before and I wanted to advance
)

Jamestown is kind of fun :eek:

It's LOTS of fun :p Not the biggest schmup veteran, so beating that game felt great.

Dr Dogg

I hope you are running it at 30 fps then. 60 frames would just ruin the magic.

Nah 48fps with frame interval blanking to replicate the perfect twin bladed shutter experience of nothing for me.

Hahaha on a more serious note enabling 4xSSAA as well as TressFX and Tesselation and coming down from 2560x1080 pretty much killed my frame rate anyway. Trying something a little less punishing and Dead Space is a perfect match. Can see 2 and 3 looking even better with much more balanced colour pallets.

Oh and happy bday Cheddahz.

Jawmuncher

Playing Papers, Please. Not a big fan so far, I love the concept and setting of this game, but actually playing it starts to drag real fast. Which is the point I guess, but as a result I want to be done with it quickly. I'm at day 13 or so. What I do like are the unexpected interruptions and events (
like the underground movement trying to recruit you. I just got a huge bribe, which I kindly accepted. I'd seen that ending 1 & 2 a few times before and I wanted to advance
)

I was in the same boat as you when I played it earlier this month.
About Half way though is when the game really connected with me since what you mentioned starts to happen far more frequently. After having beat it I love the setting and if anything wish the game delved more into it. Such as being able to talk to your family after a day of work and such.

Grief.exe

Playing Papers, Please. Not a big fan so far, I love the concept and setting of this game, but actually playing it starts to drag real fast. Which is the point I guess, but as a result I want to be done with it quickly. I'm at day 13 or so. What I do like are the unexpected interruptions and events (
)

I enjoyed the gameplay from start to finish. I firmly disagree with the point that it is designed to not be fun.

Not to say that the game isn't for everyone of course. The rougelike nature can turn people off.

Li Kao

First thing you want to do is just give up and do a complete reformat.

Yeah you're right, no point in even trying, 5 more minutes and it is still uninstalling one single software... The thing is, it's my mom old laptop and I'm refreshing it in order for her to have a nice little PC-light. Don't want to brick it, or she will continue to haunt MY PC. And we all know that's a bad thing. Don' even know if the cd drive is ok, sure hope it is the case to install the new OS.

Thorgal

i think the general consensus is that they've improved with every game, with the exception of the hound of the baskervilles which is a hidden object game, so i would just work your way backwards

I Think i might just buy the whole pack .

unless someone should discourage me from it .

Arthea

I tried to play Haunted Memories and something seems to be wrong, or maybe not, I'm not sure is it supposed to look so or not?
You can see screenshots here
7F35B13F681D71D8D508000CA14F00726E1A4DA4

490E3477F1E30C77B8B98A8D7D3DE9CFCD98046D

Nabs

Ok. It was just that seeing super hi-res cool screens I assumed there was additional stuff involved (like SweetFX or Hi-res Textures).

So, having DSfix in place, I'm gonna ask you what exactly should I enable to maximize everything.
Like, I launched it and I still got LOTS of blurring. I guess that backgrounds blurs are as intended, but it also seemed kinda blurry on the character model when I positioned the camera below him.

Anyway, the problem is that I actually don't really know what most of the stuff there means. :D
Like, if I want to try downsampling, I just have to multiply my screen res (1920x1200) and put it in the "display width/height" (so, like 3840x2400), while leaving 1920x1200 in "internal rendering res"?

If you're dealing with blurring, it's probably due to the DOF setting. Try lowering it to 540 or 810.

Display Width/Height should be 1920x1200, and the larger (downsampling res) should be the internal rendering res. If the performance hit is too much, feel free to knock it down a bit (2688x1680 maybe). The game will still look amazing without downsampling.

If you don't want to downsample you can leave the internal rendering res to 1920x1200. I leave mine at 1080p when I want to maintain 60.

Turfster

Yeah you're right, no point in even trying, 5 more minutes and it is still uninstalling one single software... The thing is, it's my mom old laptop and I'm refreshing it in order for her to have a nice little PC-light. Don't want to brick it, or she will continue to haunt MY PC. And we all know that's a bad thing. Don' even know if the cd drive is ok, sure hope it is the case to install the new OS.

You can USB-install most OSes, thankfully.

Just finished Burial At Sea PT.1, that ending, don't what Irrational is going to do with part 2.

I believe
you play as Elizabeth
. Not sure the context of the story, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Jamestown is great fun until you have to redo the missions on the hardest difficulty levels to progress.

Pretty much this. I think I stopped after doing it twice and decided it wasn't worth it. Fun game while it lasted.

I enjoyed the gameplay from start to finish. I firmly disagree with the point that it is designed to not be fun.

Not to say that the game isn't for everyone of course. The rougelike nature can turn people off.

Much truth.

I wouldn't call it 'fun' in the traditional sense, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Especially Jordi

Chronoja

Aye, red-ish colors aren't for everyone, and Papers, Please is definitely red in a few places.

I'm just kidding, I know you meant roguelike. I do find it interesting though how people interpret games, like "Papers, Please" and say"The Banner Saga", that come with themes of near depressing hardships and equate them as "designed to be unfun". I wonder if you took the exact same underlying mechanics but thematically made the game much more upbeat would people respond the same way?

Li Kao

You can USB-install most OSes, thankfully.

While I'm at it, do you think I should use the Acer restoration tool that came with the laptop or go XP vanilla ? I mean I know 'commercial' PCs come with a lot of trash softwares pre-installed, but in the case of a laptop, maybe there are some essential things I will miss by installing a 'normal XP' ?
I mean, this is a laptop, can I go wild with an OS install & drive format like I do with a desktop ?

Turfster

While I'm at it, do you think I should use the Acer restoration tool that came with the laptop or go XP vanilla ? I mean I know 'commercial' PCs come with a lot of trash softwares pre-installed, but in the case of a laptop, maybe there are some essential things I will miss by installing a 'normal XP' ?
I mean, this is a laptop, can I go wild with an OS install & drive format like I do with a desktop ?

Eh, I'd just go with a vanilla install.
IF you need special drivers for your trackpad or whatever, you should be able to get them from the manufacturer's site.

Edit: Actually, looking at the specs of that... thing... I'd advise just finding a cheap secondhand dualcore laptop that isn't 10 years old and has more than 512Mb of ram...

Marlow Briggs had me for a short while up until the terrible orb chasing mini games and awful check pointing during them. Otherwise, was kinda fun, though lacking the final polish of a number of other action games. Jumpy cuts, graphic glitches, etc. For $2.50 via Amazon and the $5 off coupon, I think that's about right.

It for some reason reminded me of the MST3k Pumaman episode. I guess the masks and the Inca/Natives origin story. That helped me along slightly.

I'm supposed to be clearing my Steam backlog, what with Tomb Raider and Revengeance beaten in the last two weeks, but I'm just playing Ultimate Doom again.

Benedict

I have a spare steam-code for F.U.E.L. but I see it's been removed from the store. Is the code still valid?
Edit: Have one for DIRT 2 as well, also removed from the store...

guess there is no value for them if it's just a code and not in my inventory?

AHA-Lambda

Oh, we're on a different thread now? :)

I just went to my local hmv and they're still doing stock clearance; got ARMA 3 Deluxe for £16.50 and Injustice Ultimate Edition for £11.50 ^_^

Li Kao

Eh, I'd just go with a vanilla install.
IF you need special drivers for your trackpad or whatever, you should be able to get them from the manufacturer's site.

Edit: Actually, looking at the specs of that... thing... I'd advise just finding a cheap secondhand dualcore laptop that isn't 10 years old and has more than 512Mb of ram...

Well, let's hope it will do for now, she's just using excel and light web browsing :-S

Jawmuncher

I'm currently playing it, game is quite bad, be warned.

DNF forever is as bad as Aliens Colonial Marines.
Which is to say for me isn't that bad. They're just simple games. You move around you shoot stuff. Guess it depends on what you're looking for. I bought DNF for 25 bucks on 360 closer to when it had released and didn't regret it at all.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait, is there any reason Guilty Gear and Gun Metal randomly got Steam keys from GamersGate? Not complaining, but sort of random to me.

Which is to say for me isn't that bad. They're just simple games. You move around you shoot stuff. Guess it depends on what you're looking for. I bought DNF for 25 bucks on 360 closer to when it had released and didn't regret it at all.
No, I liked Aliens Colonial Marines, story was shit but gameplay was decent, DNF gameplay is much worse and story is horrendous and offensive.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wait, is there any reason Guilty Gear and Gun Metal randomly got Steam keys from GamersGate? Not complaining, but sort of random to me.

People'd been asking for GG:I keys to be honored even though it's a different publisher on Steam. They did the right thing and have been getting around to distributing keys to the various bundles.

Turfster

Well, let's hope it will do for now, she's just using excel and light web browsing :-S

"Light" web browsing has gotten more and more intensive the more bells and whistles people add to even the simplest pages. I hope it's enough, but I'd keep an eye out for that cheap laptop if I were you, otherwise she might complain it's too slow and still use your computer ;)

You're about to get fired if you don't throw the prices up.
I'm a lazy guy loading those pages takes work.

I don't want to list all currencies, so stop being lazy =p
Edit: Also, you don't have the power to fire me!

Hell no. Compared to A:CM, DNF is a masterpiece. It has better AI, better textures, better gameplay and is actually fun. Mostly. More fun than that shitpile A:CM anyway. I finished DNF in a weekend, it took me 3 months of forcing myself to finish A:CM. The 'humor' and writing in both is shit, but eh.

Jawmuncher

No, I liked Aliens Colonial Marines, story was shit but gameplay was decent, DNF gameplay is much worse and story is horrendous and offensive.

Huh that's surprising. I could understand the offensiveness being an issue (Wasn't for me).
But i thought the gameplay was decent for what it was. Reminded me of something from the FPS PS2 era. Which makes sense considering it's troubled development.

Turfster

Huh that's surprising. I could understand the offensiveness being an issue (Wasn't for me).
But i thought the gameplay was decent for what it was. Reminded me of something from the FPS PS2 era. Which makes sense considering it's troubled development.

Yep. DNF had the gameplay of a mid-90s game with vignettes showing the different fads that had been popular in the interim. It was dated, but it was gameplay. A:CM has the 'gameplay' of being beaten with socks full of ball bearings by a mob.

Well, tastes and such, I think ACM is much better.

Anyway, everybody we warned the kind of game DNF is, there's a mission where you have to
bring popcorns, a dildo and a condom to a hooker to get a lap dance

Copons

If you're dealing with blurring, it's probably due to the DOF setting. Try lowering it to 540 or 810.

Display Width/Height should be 1920x1200, and the larger (downsampling res) should be the internal rendering res. If the performance hit is too much, feel free to knock it down a bit (2688x1680 maybe). The game will still look amazing without downsampling.

If you don't want to downsample you can leave the internal rendering res to 1920x1200. I leave mine at 1080p when I want to maintain 60.

Yup, I tried lowering a couple of DOF values and everything seems to work better (even if clearly all that blur was totally intended, because now I see lots of huge mountains with 2 polygons top :D ).

Now I'm in that moment where I want to rape the new GPU, so Dark Souls isn't really at the top of my list, but after I'll try some heavy games (like Witcher 2 at Ultra fucking details) I'm finally gonna drown in properly-downsampled Lordran once and for all. :)

Jawmuncher

I don't want to list all currencies, so stop being lazy =p
Edit: Also, you don't have the power to fire me!

Hell no. Compared to A:CM, DNF is a masterpiece. It has better AI, better textures, better gameplay and is actually fun. Mostly. More fun than that shitpile A:CM anyway. I finished DNF in a weekend, it took me 3 months of forcing myself to finish A:CM. The 'humor' and writing in both is shit, but eh.

Yep. DNF had the gameplay of a mid-90s game with vignettes showing the different fads that had been popular in the interim. It was dated, but it was gameplay. A:CM has the 'gameplay' of being beaten with socks full of ball bearings by a mob.

Well you called my bluff, thus I can't do anything about that. Guess I do have to stop being lazy. As for AC:M vs DNF I see them as basically the same game oddly enough. They both felt like simple 90's shooters to me. So for you to hate A:CM so much is quite surprising. But I suppose in a way it's understandable. Since the other complaints you mentioned were never anything that bothered me in Aliens. Plus for me aliens had 3 way conflicts which I am a huge fan of. We don't see those enough in games at all.

I tried to play Haunted Memories and something seems to be wrong, or maybe not, I'm not sure is it supposed to look so or not?
You can see screenshots here

From my perspective, I would hope that's not how it's supposed to look. Just looking at those images is making me experience slight nausea and some blurred vision.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
On a recent trip through my backlog I started playing Castle Crashers, I'd forgotten how much fun that game is. Great art too. Only thing I don't like is how all your levelling's tied to one character, means I have no incentive to switch and try others out.

Melted77

People'd been asking for GG:I keys to be honored even though it's a different publisher on Steam. They did the right thing and have been getting around to distributing keys to the various bundles.

Thanks for the info. I checked and ended up getting Steam keys from the past Indiegala bundle. +2 to my game count.

Jawmuncher

On a recent trip through my backlog I started playing Castle Crashers, I'd forgotten how much fun that game is. Great art too. Only thing I don't like is how all your levelling's tied to one character, means I have no incentive to switch and try others out.

No mention of what is easily the best part of the game?
I'm talking about the music of course. I wasn't a big CC fan but a lot of the music there was really memorable. Especially
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANeZYPSdz2Q

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Anybody here used Dead Island Helper while playing DI?

Do I have to open and launch the game through it everytime, or once the fixes are applied I can keep it closed?

Turfster

As for AC:M vs DNF I see them as basically the same game oddly enough. They both felt like simple 90's shooters to me.
Well, we are arguing about which sort-of-half-made by Gearbox game is the worst, so... ;)
So for you to hate A:CM so much is quite surprising. But I suppose in a way it's understandable. Since the other complaints you mentioned were never anything that bothered me in Aliens. Plus for me aliens had 3 way conflicts which I am a huge fan of. We don't see those enough in games at all.
It... didn't, really (apart from
a few setpieces towards the end of the game, where I'd gotten so sick of the fucking game that I basically walked far enough to trigger the setpiece but stayed out of range enough to let the AI kill each other... which took forever, but was more fun than actually joining the fight.
).

The alien AI pretty much always made a beeline for me*, and the soldiers all focused their fire on me*. Unlike my useless teleporting stormtrooper AI "buddies", they could actually hit what they aimed at too. (Whoever designed the
loader 'boss' fight where the AI does fuck all to keep the smaller aliens off you and focuses all their fire on the boss that can only be killed with the fucking loader
, I hope you are very sorry about what you did.)

What mostly makes A:CM worse is that I had some kind of hopes for it, I guess, which I didn't really have anymore for DNF after all those years.

* Unless they were bugged, which happened waaaaaaaaay too often.
Hell, I had to go taunt the Queen and almost feed myself to her a few times because she just... froze in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom