• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that Insurgency got into the top 10. I always heard mixed reviews about the mod, but it seems like they did a great job with the commercial version.

Benedict

Somebody else having problems with Bionic Dues?
Bought it today and all it does is crashes. Haven't managed to start the game yet...

edit: seems you have to install it in the main Steam-folder and it works. Won't work when installing at a "external" steam-library....
that sucks.

Diedac

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Starvoid -- MB-94D39C797061E73E - Taken by Purkake4

Jawmuncher

Well, we are arguing about which sort-of-half-made by Gearbox game is the worst, so... ;)

It... didn't, really (apart from
a few setpieces towards the end of the game, where I'd gotten so sick of the fucking game that I basically walked far enough to trigger the setpiece but stayed out of range enough to let the AI kill each other... which took forever, but was more fun than actually joining the fight.
).

The alien AI pretty much always made a beeline for me*, and the soldiers all focused their fire on me*. Unlike my useless teleporting stormtrooper AI "buddies", they could actually hit what they aimed at too. (Whoever designed the
loader 'boss' fight where the AI does fuck all to keep the smaller aliens off you and focuses all their fire on the boss that can only be killed with the fucking loader
, I hope you are very sorry about what you did.)

What mostly makes A:CM worse is that I had some kind of hopes for it, I guess, which I didn't really have anymore for DNF after all those years.

* Unless they were bugged, which happened waaaaaaaaay too often.
Hell, I had to go taunt the Queen and almost feed myself to her a few times because she just... froze in a corner.

I was always right in the middle of the battle so I never even remembered that I had teammates. Thus I didn't mind the simplified AI. Also I think my game might have glitched because the final battle I had no trouble with. Beat it on the first try and it took me less than 2 minutes. So looks like I dodged a bullet there since I know a lot of people have had trouble with that.

Now having hopes for the game is definitely something I can understand. Since I know that was a big reason for the amount of backlash it got. Aside from Gearbox lying to everyone about it. Hell my feelings for the game would have been far different had I bought it at launch for close to full price.

Dr Dogg

Hey went did AC: Brohood get Uplay achievements?

Edit: Don't mind me I'm just being silly. Turns out it was a Uplay action.

Volimar

Aww, I missed the Tales of Maj'Eyal, Deadly Premonition, and Ravensword giveaways. Oh well. Here's a few leftovers from the last humble bundle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alpha Prime -- MB-E7CD4158E6B18049
Fish Fillets 2 -- MB-CAC415ACDFA5A349
ARMA: Cold War Assault -- MB-90A4EA469392904E

t1390774094z1.png

ArjanN

Jamestown is great fun until you have to redo the missions on the hardest difficulty levels to progress.

IMO that's one of the best parts about it, it's why the game is good for beginners as it actually teaches you to get better instead of just continuing/credit-feeding to the end.

DukeBobby

Got Hitman: Contracts for £3.75 from GMG. Looking forward to playing it again.

So, did they change the song in the Rotterdam mission then?

Blizzard

Banned
Did anyone else have a prompt to opt out of the Starbound update? I thought Steam changed the system so you could finally play games without updating. I was really happy about that. But today, right click and choosing play game seems to have forced me into the update without the prompt box, just like the days of old.

MRORANGE

Made a thread, but in case you missed it:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/26/5...aming-preview-a-short-range-slingbox-for-your

With the right hardware setup, you may no longer need to sit in front of your gaming machine. With a PlayStation Vita, you can play PS4 anywhere in your house. With an Nvidia Shield, you can do the same with a Windows gaming PC. But what if you don't want to buy a multiple-hundred dollar handheld game system to play Tomb Raider in bed? Valve is building a game streaming solution right into its free Steam game platform, so you can sling games from your beefy desktop PC to laptops as thin as a MacBook Air. Late last week, Valve invited a host of new users into the Steam In-Home Streaming beta, and we made it in. Read on for our first impressions.

PAIRING IS A PIECE OF CAKE

The first, most striking thing about Steam In-Home Streaming is how little setup it requires. You don't even need to be in front of both computers to pair them together. As long as both computers are signed into your Steam account and connected to the same network, you'll automatically have access to any game or program in either computer's Steam library. That means you can stream Windows games to a Mac or Linux machine, and Valve is planning to add support for the reverse, too. If you've got a copy of a game that works on both operating systems, you can pick whether to stream it or run it locally, or even start installing it on the remote computer. You can even launch some non-Steam apps, like Adobe Photoshop and Media Player Classic, if you add them to Steam. They don't properly display their menu bars, though.

20140125-18404162--steam-stream03_verge_super_wide.jpg

While some Steam games don't stream right now, those that do launch seem to launch quickly and more reliably than they do on the Nvidia Shield. Streaming quality, however, is harder to measure. Even in this beta state, there's no question that Steam In-Home can technically deliver the clearest, crispest images we've seen from a streaming solution yet, one that are practically indistinguishable from how they look on an actual gaming PC. The problem is that actually getting that quality depends on a complex array of factors.

With a relatively powerful gaming PC (Core i5-2500K, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti) hooked up to a pricy $200 802.11ac router over Gigabit Ethernet, and streaming to a 2013 MacBook Air during a Friday commute hour, things were predictably superb. As of the beta, Steam's streaming solution lets you set the bandwidth and screen resolution yourself — unlike Sony or Nvidia — and with a huge 15 megabits per second stream, plenty of overhead, and little interference, games like Devil May Cry looked and felt fantastic from a few rooms away. Nidhogg, a lightning-fast swordfighting game, actually felt playable.

20140125-18404162--steam-stream06_verge_super_wide.jpg

Again, though, that's the optimal scenario, and trying the same games with a cheaper 802.11n router or during peak hours made things far more difficult. Where Nvidia and Sony automatically degrade the image quality when bandwidth drops, Steam drops the framerate, and games begin to stutter. You can fix a lot of the quality issues yourself by playing with Steam's bandwidth and resolution settings, but it's a bit of work, whereas Nvidia has a dedicated piece of software that automatically optimizes settings for a playble streaming experience. We also had a few games that seemed to stutter even at lower quality settings, like Tomb Raider, which streams quite smoothly to the Shield by contrast.

Between the problem games and the need for more user-friendly configuration, Valve has plenty of work ahead, but we don't expect that work to stop. In-Home Streaming is a key part of Valve's Steam Machines strategy, because the Linux-based SteamOS boxes won't natively run Windows games. With streaming, Valve's Linux-based video game systems can still play games for Windows so long as you have a Windows gaming box on the same network. But even if you just plan to prop up a laptop in bed, Steam In-Home Streaming already feels like it could be a killer feature. You can't beat free[/B

20140125-18404162--steam-stream02_verge_super_wide.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Mbps limit for all of these streaming setups is lame as hell. I have access to CAT5 cables and the Steam streaming never went over 15% or so useage. Let me get that shit at like 85%+ useage. People were saying they encountered similar issues with the Nivida setup where it only ever used a fraction of their possible throughput.

If Valve opens that shit up, the feature could be truly god-tier with baby-boxes under TVs.

Dr Dogg

The Mbps limit for all of these streaming setups is lame as hell. I have access to CAT5 cables and the Steam streaming never went over 15% or so useage. Let me get that shit at like 85%+ useage. People were saying they encountered similar issues with the Nivida setup where it only ever used a fraction of their possible throughput.

Go in to the options and set the bandwidth to unlimited. I was getting 12-15Mbps before also in Cat 5e end to end but after doing that I got upwards of 45Mbps.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98244839&postcount=247

camera blows in mgr since stupid shit kills you offscreen in like 1 or 2 hits on revengeance.

Yeah basically this.

If Valve opens that shit up, the feature could be truly god-tier with baby-boxes under TVs.

Completely agree. Was wondering what the min requirements are, but you could basically get away with anything running Linux and an ethernet cable I think.

It would be pretty awesome to have a Rasberry Pi box attached to your TV streaming games from your main rig in the office.

Kaizen

weird... according to steam Civ 5 is not installed on my computer. however, I played it earlier today and I still have all the files on my hdd. I tried restarting steam but that didn't help... any ideas?

Arthea

As I won a game, something little back

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Men of War -- MB-7EE5743672967552 - Taken by Gez

backdrifter

Neo Member
Started to play Deadpool this weekend after picking it up on the cheap and its oddly quite enjoyable. A bit repetitive yes, but a decent brainless bit of action!

Tempted with Paper Sorcerer but might wait to hear a few impressions first.

Scipius

weird... according to steam Civ 5 is not installed on my computer. however, I played it earlier today and I still have all the files on my hdd. I tried restarting steam but that didn't help... any ideas?

Have you tried verifying the game cache (it's under properties of the game)?

I wanted to try and force myself through Lost Planet 3 for the 52 in 1 year challenge but I simply cannot push through the game anymore. I'm not enjoying it, at all. Lost Planet 3 is tedious, it feels like the first three or four hours could have been completely removed and the game would have been better for it. The moments it gets interesting are few and far between. It quickly gets bogged down in these dull, filler activities. Even with fast travel navigating the surface is tedious because the mech is so damned slow. The overall idea had potential but the implementation leaves much to be desired.

This series literally has no identity. The first was an arcade-y third person shooter, the second was a terrible Monster Hunter-lite and the third is an awkward mash-up of an "openworld" game and a boiler plate, cover-centric tps.

Eh, the lower difficulties are only there to train you for the higher ones.

It's a shmup. Mastery is kind of the whole point.

If I wanted to master the higher difficulties, I would choose to play them. It feels like they're artificially dragging out the overall length of the game by forcing you through the higher difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom