• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Do itttttt.

It's like proper cinema (2.35) that you can play.

Ok, I'm hooked.

12149871134_fe73e349ba_o.png

12150139426_c6ae8644e0_o.png

Shitty ground textures aside and the need for some proper AA, Tomb Raider definitely fits the bill as a Cinematic Game™.

Any other recommendations? Now may as well be a good excuse as any download Max Payne 3.

Those Dead Space 3 shots by the ways are insane!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Ok, I'm hooked.

Shitty ground textures aside and the need for some proper AA, Tomb Raider definitely fits the bill as a Cinematic Game™.

Any other recommendations? Now may as well be a good excuse as any download Max Payne 3.

Uncharted 2-3 but that's even assuming you have a PS3

Caerith

Even if that developer starts to sell the game in the humble store?

Yes. Whether a developer gives Steam keys to customers who bought their game before it was greenlit is entirely at their discretion. Most do, if only to avoid the backlash.

Dr Dogg

Uncharted 2-3 but that's even assuming you have a PS3

Hahaha yes while true they're not quite the 21:9 aspec ratio type of Cinematic Game.

Basically over the last year and a bit in the PC High Res screenshot thread Stallion, Nabs, and a few others have been posting pics that are in a 21:9, 2.35:1, CinemaScope aspect ratio. What's really great about this in third person games is that with the right FOV you lose virtually or no vertical image detail but gain a great wide view. It can really add to the atmosphere of a game not just in screenshots but whilst playing them as well.

Support is a bit thin on the ground as some games only display is boring old aspect ratios like 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10. Though ones that do can completely change the look and feel of a game. MRORANGE made a thread last week about 21:9 monitors and had some great examples in there plus there's the screenshots thread as well.

I can't go back now, it's too good.

Metro Last Light.

Yeah that's definitely on my to do list but I need to finish off 2033 first and it was dragging a little for me.

Nabs

Ok, I'm hooked.

I can't tell from your shots, but if Lara feels a bit on the chubby-side, set your desktop to the new resolution before launching the game. I think the game sets the aspect ratio on launch.

I'm currently on my second playthrough thanks to 2.35. This game is perfect for it.

Dr Dogg

I can't tell from your shots, but if Lara feels a bit on the chubby-side, set your desktop to the new resolution before launching the game. I think the game sets the aspect ratio on launch.

I'm currently on my second playthrough thanks to 2.35. This game is perfect for it.

Yeah in my giddy exciting of getting some resolutions set up at first I didn't notice it was still a 16:9 image but squished. Looking up some .ini fixes I changed it in the registry but while that worked for gameplay cutscenes were still the wrong aspect ratio. As you said it picks it up on launch if set to auto and everything was hunky-dory after then (I hope).

I did wonder why the first shot I took Lara looked like she had a 6 foot arm.

Going to have a lot of fun with the Steam Library all over again.

In all fairness, the Origin HB was totally for charities, EA didn't see shit.

Except, of course, the tax write-offs, but I get your point.

They also used it as a way to get people to download Origin, increasing the likelihood of a sale on that distribution platform. It really was a smart move all around.

A good business decision. Unlike, say, always online DRM...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just started playing Assassin's Creed 3, that really was the longest tutorial I've ever seen.
Ubisoft wanted to go above and beyond with the the narrative context before dropping you into the main character's shoes. I still prefer that over the hodge lodge nonsense approach in AC Liberation where you still don't understand anything up to the last 3 memory sequences.

Kabouter

Just started playing Assassin's Creed 3, that really was the longest tutorial I've ever seen.

I actually really liked that the game took its time early on, perhaps it could have introduced mechanics a bit more rapidly, but overall I felt it did a great job of easing you into this world, rather than just dropping you smack dab in the middle of it like they did in AC4.

Grief.exe

Ok, I'm hooked.

I hope you are running it at 30 fps then. 60 frames would just ruin the magic.

The_Monk

I was away for a day and I see so many banned people... It seems there's a lot of people trying to defend their systems or taking it personal. Oh well, hope it's temporary.

I spent a little more time with Mafia 2 and it's been a great experience. The details in this game are simply amazing. The decoration inside the houses and the bridges in the city are the two things that caught my attention the most. Taking my time with the game and enjoying the Story so far.

Jawmuncher

I was away for a day and I see so many banned people... It seems there's a lot of people trying to defend their systems or taking it personal. Oh well, hope it's temporary.

I spent a little more time with Mafia 2 and it's been a great experience. The details in this game are simply amazing. The decoration inside the houses and the bridges in the city are the two things that caught my attention the most. Taking my time with the game and enjoying the Story so far.

Glad you're enjoying it. Can't wait to see what you say about the ending.

gabbo

It is a rather enjoyable game (until they get on your case for traffic violations).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I need to stop having crackpot dreams for horror games coming on Steam. Only making the revelation recently that the people who make Dark Souls and the like are the same people who made the Echo Night, Shadow Tower, and Kuon game series has me hoping those come to Steam someday.

I'm a hopeless dreamer...

Ubisoft wanted to go above and beyond with the the narrative context before dropping you into the main character's shoes. I still prefer that over the hodge lodge nonsense approach in AC Liberation where you still don't understand anything up to the last 3 memory sequences.

I actually really liked that the game took its time early on, perhaps it could have introduced mechanics a bit more rapidly, but overall I felt it did a great job of easing you into this world, rather than just dropping you smack dab in the middle of it like they did in AC4.
It would work really well if AC3 was the first game in the series. Sure, it would be nice to flesh out the backstory a bit, but before that, the game already gave us a cutscene exposition dump, and an in-Animus parkour tutorial.

graywolf323

You obviously don't know SotMC. It's like asking for an iPhone and getting a brick. =p

Anyway, deals!
Gamersgate has Van Helsing complete for 66% off
GetGames has Typing of the Dead for 66% off and DLC for 50% off

I grabbed the Shakespeare dlc yesterday from that sale :) that was the one I'm really interested in

will wait on a 75% off sale to get the Filth dlc

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I need to stop having crackpot dreams for horror games coming on Steam. Only making the revelation recently that the people who make Dark Souls and the like are the same people who made the Echo Night, Shadow Tower, and Kuon game series has me hoping those come to Steam someday.

I'm a hopeless dreamer...

Stranger things have happened! Like Anno 1404 being patched three years after it was pulled precisely because Ubi refused to patch it. (Okay, "will happen", but I digress.)

Turfster

It is a rather enjoyable game (until they get on your case for traffic violations).

Do they at least let you drive faster than 2 mph like they forced you to do in the first game? That first driving mission where you explore the city was interminable...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, it's my birthday today! I might just buy myself a game or something

I would recommend against buying that Penny Arcade game on your wishlist. Also, I knew there was a reason your avatar seemed familiar. ;)

image.php
sronanav117m5f7f.jpg

Edit: My game count went up by one but I'm not entirely sure why. I think it may be because of this:

16324 Gotham City Impostors Free to Play: Ultimate Impostor Kit said:
3 days ago Added Gotham City Impostors: Free To Play to the package

Thanks, Warner! This doesn't absolve you from taking Arkham Asylum vanilla away from me, though -- only Wheelman's return will suffice. ;)

Happy Birthday, Cheddahz!

Got past the Tule Tree in Guacamelee now at Temple of War again, not sure I'm going to continue. Not digging the dimensional platforming and arena fights.

gabbo

Do they at least let you drive faster than 2 mph like they forced you to do in the first game? That first driving mission where you explore the city was interminable...

Yes, they've toned the police reaction down a bit (especially on the highway). But you better believe Joe prefers the to be driven like Miss Daisy.

There's a safe driving button! ;)

Which I used for most of the game just to shut them up ;)

Tagyhag

In period in the afternoon when a bar offers discounts on a variety of drinks. It's usually one hour, but that's not a rule. And it's usually a period of time outside of the customer rush.
I don't know why it's called Happy Hour, I always see only sad people during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom