• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it just me or does Assassin's Creed 4 run like shit on PCs? I just got it and the frame rate is wild.

Some of the settings aren't very well explained. If you have environmental quality at very high turn that to high and that will have you gain 20 frames at times. The highest setting renders everything if I remember correctly and just drains performance like no other setting. Could use a lot more optimization all around but that brought the game into playable territory at otherwise mostly high settings. Physx also was optimized a tad and runs better now.

I only have a GTX670 though, I want the 800 series to drop so badly. Games are starting to run poorly at max settings now :/

maneil99

Some of the settings aren't very well explained. If you have environmental quality at very high turn that to high and that will have you gain 20 frames at times. The highest setting renders everything if I remember correctly and just drains performance like no other setting. Could use a lot more optimization all around but that brought the game into playable territory at otherwise mostly high settings. Physx also was optimized a tad and runs better now.

I only have a GTX670 though, I want the 800 series to drop so badly. Games are starting to run poorly at max settings now :/
Summer 2014 bbg

-MD-

Because Dayz is shit right now, the loot rate is like 10%. I wager 90% of players die of starvation or kill themselves within the first hour. Its fucking garbage. Theres a difference between scavaging and half a fucking map having like 20 food cans

So go on a fresh server that isn't looted. Problem solved.

Do you have the game. All the servers are the same, rockey turned down loot for stabilty.

He's actually right. While the loot density in general is pretty thin, going to a fresh server usually means that you will be able to find enough on the coast to take you inland where stuff is easier to find.

And yes, I have the game.

So... Why didn't they turn on fsaa for these pre-rendered videos in lords of shadow

I'm not sure whether they're aliased or just look as such because of how heavy the compression is. Rather annoying but thankfully the majority of cutscenes are real-time. Developers really need to stop compressing video if that's how they choose to present the story.

Miguel81

I'm not sure whether they're aliased or just look as such because of how heavy the compression is. Rather annoying but thankfully the majority of cutscenes are real-time. Developers really need to stop compressing video if that's how they choose to present the story.

Not only does it look worse, it takes up more space than real-time.

HAHAHAHA

Ban Puncher

Oh shit son it's another....

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

header.jpg

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

I have another Prey Steam key to give away to one lucky person. And how will I decide who gets it? With another MS Paint competition.

Some people were left dissatisfied with the last giveaway's winning entry. SteamGAF SaltyGAF indeed. So to enter this high-stakes game of skill and chance all you need to do is submit a single entry, which can be a lone picture or multiple comic panels or even the controversial animated JIF, of yourself (or another GAFer or even a fictitious user if you are quite timid) getting mad salty and visibly upset that they did not win Prey last time. Aftermath Salt - The Competition. The most humorous and creative entry as judged by me will win a Prey Steam key to redeem at their own discretion. The competition will be open for 24 hours from the time of this post. Remember, this is all in good fun and having a laugh. So go nuts.

Good luck and have fun!

Not only does it look worse, it takes up more space than real-time.

Pre-rendered cutscenes have their applications. Creating camera angles and scenarios that aren't possible with the game engine itself or touching up the IQ for the cutscenes(ie, The Last of Us) but you just can't use compression if you choose to do it in that way. It completely ruins the scene and any sort of connection with what is going on. Often times the compression is 240P youtube level and it's just unacceptable.

Have I told you about a great quirky game 99 spirits? It has unique combat, which can drive you crazy if you not careful or perceptive, it's rather long for an indie game and teaches you some great adventuring tips!
What's even more important it's on sale -75%, for the first time, I think, right here
http://www.shinyloot.com/99-spirits?aid=c0bb80b263632ad2a91dfd293bb6f88a

you get DRM free version and a steam key too.

I approve this message.
Also while you are on the way check their latest greenlight item.

Tizoc

Have I told you about a great quirky game 99 spirits? It has unique combat, which can drive you crazy if you not careful or perceptive, it's rather long for an indie game and teaches you some great adventuring tips!
What's even more important it's on sale -75%, for the first time, I think, right here
http://www.shinyloot.com/99-spirits?aid=c0bb80b263632ad2a91dfd293bb6f88a

you get DRM free version and a steam key too.

Oh I've been wanting to get this game! Can I buy 2 copies of it by any chance? ...and is this exclusive to US or EU countries only?

Zafir

thanks for the clarification.

the game is apparently cut in germany...
we usually don't get cut content here in austria, and the game isn't even german dubbed. what would be the reason to do that :(

EDIT: wait I think I misunderstood. If I buy a ROW copy (which I'd assume is uncut) I can activate it on my austrian account/IP?
You will be able to activate it yes, as RoW keys don't have region locking on.

Sajjaja

Oh shit son it's another....

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

header.jpg

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

I have another Prey Steam key to give away to one lucky person. And how will I decide who gets it? With another MS Paint competition.

Some people were left dissatisfied with the last giveaway's winning entry. SteamGAF SaltyGAF indeed. So to enter this high-stakes game of skill and chance all you need to do is submit a single entry, which can be a lone picture or multiple comic panels or even the controversial animated JIF, of yourself (or another GAFer or even a fictitious user if you are quite timid) getting mad salty and visibly upset that they did not win Prey last time. Aftermath Salt - The Competition. The most humorous and creative entry as judged by me will win a Prey Steam key to redeem at their own discretion. The competition will be open for 24 hours from the time of this post. Remember, this is all in good fun and having a laugh. So go nuts.

Good luck and have fun!

Idunnooooo

otWM8Kf.png

zmSGaPP.png

zsY6mGS.png

A year, or maybe two (?) ago I gifted a game to poem of devil. I was very surprised to see him gift me back Jets'n'guns out of nowhere. Have to say that was one classy move.

I really look forward to putting some time into it. Fingers crossed it plays as good as it looks

Arthea

A year, or maybe two (?) ago I gifted a game to poem of devil. I was very surprised to see him gift me back Jets'n'guns out of nowhere. Have to say that was one classy move.

I really look forward to putting some time into it. Fingers crossed it plays as good as it looks

You know, you were right about Hero of the Kingdom at least. It's not really a bad game per se, and it's relaxing, but it's not what I want from the game like this.

edited: I wonder how much of this Milamber can take. It's not gonna stop any time soon, is it? (><)

You know, you were right about Hero of the Kingdom at least. It's not really a bad game per se, and it's relaxing, but it's not what I want from the game like this.

After reading Stumps thoughts and reflecting more on the game, I'm wondering if that isn't a really good thing. I mean I have "games like this" that I don't really play...so at least HotK has its own identity.

I dub the genre "chill the fuck out" games.

Arthea

After reading Stumps thoughts and reflecting more on the game, I'm wondering if that isn't a really good thing. I mean I have "games like this" that I don't really play...so at least HotK has its own identity.

I dub the genre "chill the fuck out" games.

I totally can see use of such a games, something to play inbetween more intense games or when tired and just wanting to chill some. I only wish we had more of this kind of games with somewhat complex gameplay, like I said before, something like Rune Factory, for example.

Here is what a supreme desktop looks like.

Caught while transitioning from one Reus wallpaper to another.

That's one nice wallpaper!

And use up more system resources!? I try to keep everything as minimal as possible.
Oh I'm sure you do ;)

Well, I had never heard of this program.
This might very well vastly improve my desktop user experience.
I used to use it back when I kept all my icons on my desktop, and it helped immensely. My best friend actually has so many icons that he like 3-4 scrollable pages of icons in each fence...

Now I just use windows search and keep a select few icons on my desktop.

dani_dc

I used to use it back when I kept all my icons on my desktop, and it helped immensely. My best friend actually has so many icons that he like 3-4 scrollable pages of icons in each fence...

Now I just use windows search and keep a select few icons on my desktop.

I usually try to keep my desktop clean, but I have a tendancy to start having too much crap during college semesters.

Probably useful as well to have some links to folders that I use semi-often but rather not have them on the desktop at all times.

Arthea

Talking about Reus, easiness with which humans can kill giants, really kills this game for me. And I like the game, I spend something like 50 hours playing it, so I do like it. It just seems like total waste as you can lose all your progress of 2 hours or so in seconds and there is not a thing you can do to save situation in most cases. You need other improvements to keep your people in check, but you can't build them because they just kill giants if near.
One could say that you can't let such situation to develop, but there is no way around it, as some improvements require lots of resources and wealth and people immediately get aggressive when rich.

Nice, Team Hawken sent me a Steam key of the game because I made an account some time ago (never played the game though).

Can't wait to get back home.

PriitV

Nice, Team Hawken sent me a Steam key of the game because I made an account some time ago (never played the game though).

Can't wait to get back home.

They moved the F2P Hawken to Steam recently from their own launchers and now all the previous members got a free beta key.
+1 Gamecount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom