• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just got my Steam key for Oniken from Desura. There seems to be some problems with dupe keys but worked fine for me.

nothing for me on desura (site or client) or on indiegala summertide page :(

r3n4ud

Have at it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Love Plus -- MB-688B66350AA12861 - Taken by _hekk05. 9 entrants total.
Love Plus #2 -- MB-C28ED6050C6D686A - Taken by Soule. 7 entrants total.

t1392049958z1.png

I didn't buy anything on the last Steam sale as I felt like I'd had enough of them for a bit and hardly anything ran well on my laptop.

But...

Now I've built a brand new PC and want more games! Annoyingly, one of the games I really want is Dark Souls, but it's £20 and it was just £4 in the last Steam sale so I can't bring myself to buy it... :-(

Zeknurn

I don't think I've seen this posted but the Frozen Synapse devs is running a beta for Steam Game Notifications and it will probably be pushed to main branch this week.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/frozensynapse/announcements/detail/1838895481671710497

Hi all!

Frozen Synapse now supports Steam Game Notifications. This means you'll know as soon as new turns are available in your matches even if you don't have the game open.

We're running a beta over the weekend before going ahead and making it available to everyone. If you'd like to try it out simply follow these instructions:
Right click on the game in your Library and click on Properties
Click on the Betas tab
Enter the password 'courage' in to the text field provided and click on Check Code
Select the preview option from the drop down box
Either wait or restart Steam and the update will begin downloading

Skyblue

Banned
I didn't buy anything on the last Steam sale as I felt like I'd had enough of them for a bit and hardly anything ran well on my laptop.

But...

Now I've built a brand new PC and want more games! Annoyingly, one of the games I really want is Dark Souls, but it's £20 and it was just £4 in the last Steam sale so I can't bring myself to buy it... :-(

Be smart and don't purchase it, Namco gave us a shitty port and what did we get in return for supporting it? No release data for Dark Souls 2.

But...

It's on sale pretty frequently, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

_hekk05

Banned
So I found the time to give interstellar marines another go. Was able to get 4th overall score, even though I was playing at 300 ping. Definitely needs servers closer to asia.

Just realised guns have infinite ammo. I guess space marines are finally equipped with enough ammo to go fight a war.

Can't find my health or armour meter, so I guess you regenerate? Not sure.

Guns definitely have strong kick. 2 / 3 round bursts are the way to go. Spray and pray only works if you get personal and you aim at the head.

Headshots kill enemies in 1 shot. No more aiming at feet cheesing.

Teamkilling is a big problem, but I guess that's on the noobs.

Running mechanic still feeds slightly weird. Need to get used to that.

Like the fact that you only reload when you press reload. Also like the fact that you can't see your current ammo in magazine.

Overall pretty nice. Need more modes other than tdm though.

Edit: I won love plus! Rinko best girl. Thanks r3n4ud.

Be smart and don't purchase it, Namco gave us a shitty port and what did we get in return for supporting it? No release data for Dark Souls 2.

It's on sale pretty frequently, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Yeah, I know... I've just got new game lust! And I've been playing Demon's Souls on PS3 but not yet played Dark Souls so want to play it. I saw it cheaper on one of those keys sites but they seem legally dubious so not touching that.

Zeknurn

Nice feature for those kind of games. I hope there will be a way to turn off this feature when there are too many games using this

I just tested it and the game opens up the overlay with a pop up asking you if you want to allow notifications.

Iirc In Civ V you need to hit a check box in the options to enable it.

Skyblue

Banned
Use Durante's fix!

But that's not the point, is it? Supposedly the PC port was a success for them and in return for supporting them like dumb lemmings we don't get a release date for DS 2 on PC, so we funded the consoles versions for nothing.

Fuck Namco and FROM software.

Dolor

Deques

But that's not the point, is it? Supposedly the PC port was a success for them and in return for supporting them like dumb lemmings we don't get a release date for DS 2 on PC, so we funded the consoles versions for nothing.

You could say that to all kind of modding. Including Skyrim

catabarez

I would rather the game get pushed back a little than getting another crappy port.

fantomena

Can't wait for the purchase button!

WIll buy if it has trading cards and is
0,99€
because this is the modern Bad Rats folks!

How do I add League of Legends to Steam game list and make it so others can see that I'm playing it LoL.

Bottom left corner click add a game>add a non steam game and then find LoL on the list that comes up. When you do it adds it and then when you click LoL people will see you.

Lobogris

Neo Member
How do I add League of Legends to Steam game list and make it so others can see that I'm playing it LoL.

IIRC you have to choose the option "add non-steam game..." in one of the menus of the steam app, after that just choose the league of legends executable and press "add".

God of War is a continuous experience and the levels are designed as such, although God of War II is a bit more grand in geographical scale than the others. Lords of Shadows has an entirely different structure with all of the chapters bringing you to different locations and parts of the world, with such things being branched by cutscenes. Also keep in mind that the God of War games are generally about 8 hours long(II is a bit longer) and subsequently cover a lot less ground. And it's not really weird to state that I don't think something has a massive effect on the pacing when it's a direct response to your statement. As you mentioned, that would be my opinion :p

LOS still tries to have some sort of continuity though. Within the chapters the various sections are continuous and there are several instances where the end of one chapter leads directly into the beginning of the next without any gap (2 to 3, 5 to 6, 7 to 8, 8 to 9, 9 to 10 etc.) it's just a bit clumsy about it and uses magical doors and teleportation but there was definitely an attempt to make it continuous in many instances. It's very inconsistent about its structure. The mere fact that we came to two rather different conclusions about it is kinda telling :p

And I'm not really sure what there is to disagree on in terms of puzzles. As mentioned Lords of Shadows is quite long so I suppose on that virtue alone it's going to have more puzzles than the God of War games on their own but even so I think it focuses more on them. The exception being Ascension where I'd say a good half of the game is based on the time device being used for puzzles. Still, both game focus on puzzles quite a bit and it makes them unique amongst action games. Now God of War definitely has much more varied platforming, with the spike walls, underwater traveling, and so on. They're very different games despite some basic similarities in combat and structure. Lords of Shadows often has more open areas.

Sorry for being unclear but I think that GoW focuses more on puzzles than LOS and they're typically more sophisticated and better incorporated into the level design (hence, environmental puzzles). Yes, LOS might have more in total but it's more skewed towards combat and platforming. GoW (at least I and II, don't remember Chains of Olympus as clearly and haven't played GoW III yet) are more balanced imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom