• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

finally! my arcade stick and second monitor are ready! :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Finding Teddy -- MB-2B7285DD32D3157C - Taken by scorpscarx. 16 entrants total.

t1392052972z1.png

I wish Treasure took to something else as their quintessential game to port most often, but I'll still take Ikaruga, if only to support their ventures.

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

amnesia fortnight 2012 -- MB-AB8A633CE01F826F - Taken by yatesl
>:)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello everyone, how are you this fine day?

Finding Teddy has a lot of positive reviews.

One of which is mine. Just a very charming little game that is a quick experience (roughly an hour or so) with a lot of beautiful artwork all throughout the game with a sense of a children's story give or take the macabre surprises. It's the type of point and click adventure perfectly suited when you just have a little amount of time and want to beat something or a palate cleanser

Fair warning to anyone tone deaf or has problems hearing however, one of they key aspects to nearly half the puzzles involves musical tones that need to be heard if going in without a guide, with some memorisation that will leave you stuck if you forget the patter and there aren't any visual clues.

I'm so excited.

Ban Puncher

Less than 16 hours left. Quoting for people waking up on the other side of the world.

Me? I'm off to bed.

Oh shit son it's another....

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

header.jpg

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

I have another Prey Steam key to give away to one lucky person. And how will I decide who gets it? With another MS Paint competition.

Some people were left dissatisfied with the last giveaway's winning entry. SteamGAF SaltyGAF indeed. So to enter this high-stakes game of skill and chance all you need to do is submit a single entry, which can be a lone picture or multiple comic panels or even the controversial animated JIF, of yourself (or another GAFer or even a fictitious user if you are quite timid) getting mad salty and visibly upset that they did not win Prey last time. Aftermath Salt - The Competition. The most humorous and creative entry as judged by me will win a Prey Steam key to redeem at their own discretion. The competition will be open for 24 hours from the time of this post. Remember, this is all in good fun and having a laugh. So go nuts.

Good luck and have fun!

yatesl

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

Rules for this Giveaway:

The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-A64A146B629205E7 - Taken by Newblade

Thanks!

fallout

Oooooo. That's pretty interesting. Any of them good?
The ones from 2012 were definitely prototypes, but the best part about the whole thing were the daily documentary videos. You get to see a really rapid development process of several types of games in quite a bit of detail.

LOS still tries to have some sort of continuity though. Within the chapters the various sections are continuous and there are several instances where the end of one chapter leads directly into the beginning of the next without any gap (2 to 3, 5 to 6, 7 to 8, 8 to 9, 9 to 10 etc.) it's just a bit clumsy about it and uses magical doors and teleportation but there was definitely an attempt to make it continuous in many instances. It's very inconsistent about its structure. The mere fact that we came to two rather different conclusions about it is kinda telling :p

Sorry for being unclear but I think that GoW focuses more on puzzles than LOS and they're typically more sophisticated and better incorporated into the level design (hence, environmental puzzles). Yes, LOS might have more in total but it's more skewed towards combat and platforming. GoW (at least I and II, don't remember Chains of Olympus as clearly and haven't played GoW III yet) are more balanced imo.

There's not really teleportation outside of the one chapter where it makes sense given it's entirely magical in nature. Generally chapters are separate areas with the exception of the Dark Lord ones. Missions within them often lead into one another but that's another thing. Fair enough on the disagreement though.

I don't really considered the GoW platforming I mentioned to be environmental puzzles, just platforming really. The puzzles are often pretty well thought out, especially in Ascension, but it's nothing all that crazy. And God of War III has almost no puzzles, with the one I remember being a guitar hero esqe mini-game that's super weird. Amazing game though. Chains of Olympus is also pretty light on them, and I could actually say I don't remember any but it's still a pretty good game.

_hekk05

Banned
Ok then... why does nobody choose Manaka?

Fun fact. Manaka Takane is similar in meaning to a takane no hana, lit. Flower on a mountaintop.

Those of this trope are usually too high class and give off an unapproachable vibe, even though they are very popular.

I really enjoyed Katawa Shoujo as I thought it did a good job of depicting young romance and first loves in a surprisingly mature way(especially Rin) but even it had it's silly animu nonsense. With some of the stories it seemed like the various characters would die without the protagonist having been their friend/lover which is always kind of odd. Not to mention the whole disability school with almost no teachers or restrictions often felt a little fantasy esqe. Most others I've seen have been either slimy hentai games or really dumb "I'm an amazing god who every girl loves" simulators.

And looking forward to Ikarugu, have my gamecube copy in the cabinet and I played the XBLA version a bit. Will try to actually be good at the game this time around :D

irobot

Neo Member
Is indie gala not giving anyone else keys or a bundle in their account? I purchased the Indiegala Interstellar bundle and nothing is showing up after I claimed the link. Email sent to support, but was curious if anyone else had the same problem.

Milamber

Do the dating sims....do they....do they have the sexings?

Yes / No

I really enjoyed Katawa Shoujo as I thought it did a good job of depicting young romance and first loves in a surprisingly mature way but even it had it's silly animu nonsense. Most others I've seen have been either slimy hentai games or really dumb "I'm an amazing god who every girl loves" simulators.

Katawa Shoujo has you ready with a sock in your hands but you use it instead to dry your FEELS.

Annubis

Fun fact. Manaka Takane is similar in meaning to a takane no hana, lit. Flower on a mountaintop.

Those of this trope are usually too high class and give off an unapproachable vibe, even though they are very popular.

That makes a lot more sense than my theory of people pick the biggest bust (Nene) or the loli (Rinko)

Katawa Shoujo has you ready with a sock in your hands but you use it instead to dry your FEELS.

I can't listen to Wiosna =( god damn bad ends sending you straight to the intro menu ;_;

Nah, for Windows 8.1 itself.

I guess uxtheme patching isn't as popular as it once was.

Ah, no. I just set Windows to cycle through 50 or so different backgrounds which keeps things interesting, although with how I have it set the window borders constantly change colors as well so I might disable that option. Is quite nice how the desktop background can be used for the metro interface as well now.

Heh, it was definitely very touching at points and I still got the YA action I was hoping for :p Another thing I thought it handled well, or at the very least compared to similar games I've seen, is sexual experimentation amongst people of that age group. Also, sock pockets are disgusting and no human should ever even think of doing such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom