• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
and xeno 2 is done

tbh I wouldn't say it's the disaster that I was warned about, the early parts and the ending are great, so I'd say since it's just following the trend of being the japanese mass effect

first game is amazing but falls a bit over its own ambitions, then they fuck it up in the second game by going all empire strikes back with the story and dumbing down half its mechanics. I figure xeno 3 won't be as completely shit as mass effect 3, but I guess that's an easy bet.

but whatvs, I liked it, it probably has to do a lot with the power of emulation allowing me to frameskip a lot of the boring sidequesting and random encounter stuff, but whatever works

on to 3

Wait, you're all the girls on the internet?
all except for salsa

Arthea

and xeno 2 is done

tbh I wouldn't say it's the disaster that I was warned about, the early parts and the ending are great, so I'd say since it's just following the trend of being the japanese mass effect

first game is amazing but falls a bit over its own ambitions, then they fuck it up in the second game by going all empire strikes back with the story and dumbing down half its mechanics. I figure xeno 3 won't be as completely shit as mass effect 3, but I guess that's an easy bet.

but whatvs, I liked it, it probably has to do a lot with the power of emulation allowing me to frameskip a lot of the boring sidequesting and random encounter stuff, but whatever works

on to 3

all except for salsa

I haven't played 3rd, thanks to Namco being Namco and not releasing it in EU, just because, but according to Xenofanatics, third is the best.
They actually released only worst part in EU, ain't that charming?

that's nice revelation to make right before Valentine's day?

Anteater

and xeno 2 is done

on to 3

all except for salsa

3 brought back a lot of the story elements but ultimately they ended up rushing it, so a lot of the stuff felt kind of forced, but at least they wrapped it up, the characters were great in 3 though and it's one thing they got right, and the conclusion to most of the characters were mostly satisfying.

Man I just remember how much I like Tony at the end of ep1 when he listened to shion and saved kos-mos.

Knurek

What's with all the Mass Effect 3 hate, the game is perfectly serviceable, and quite good if you play the non-Omega DLCs.
There's really no need to go all-Derrickey on it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GamersGate's new Daily is 66% off Borderlands 2 ($6.78 or $14.99 for the four-pack [$3.75 per head]). GamersGate being GamersGate, nothing else Borderlands-related is discounted, including 2's own GOTY Edition.

Edit: D'oh, thought I refreshed.

Arthea

What's with all the Mass Effect 3 hate, the game is perfectly serviceable, and quite good if you play the non-Omega DLCs.

In which universe ME3 (or any ME?) is a good game? it has not a single at least somewhat interesting location, well Citadel is OK I guess, barely OK, everything else is bland, unimaginable and horrible, not to mention looks the same inspite on what planet you are on. As if all Universe hires same architects and same interior designers to scatter around some boxes. It fails as shooter and even more fails as RPG. I really wish I could understand what's good about it, because I just can't see it, I tried.
*switches off Derrick mode*
ME is mediocre in my books, not too bad but not good either and I really can't understand fascination with series

GamersGate's new Daily is 66% off Borderlands 2 ($6.78 or $14.99 for the four-pack [$3.75 per head]). GamersGate being GamersGate, nothing else Borderlands-related is discounted, including 2's own GOTY Edition.

Edit: D'oh, thought I refreshed.

Ya, even when they have franchise sales they tend to forget to discount some parts of it. Very forgetful people (><)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ouch, just noticed Derrick's perm...

RIP, you'll always be an iconic GAF persona to me

JaseC

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-32-205-145-_-02112014_2

Are these games redeemable on Steam?

Civ 4 Complete
Civ 5 Gold
Xcom- EU

three pack for 20$

No, yes, yes, respectively (top to bottom).

Edit: I'm dumb and misread XCOM: EU as something else. Fixed.

Edit edit: Oh, it's a key. Yeah, it'll redeem on Steam.

Any word on if there will be pre-order group packs for Strider?

The game is out in just over a week so it's safe to say that if there were going to be a multi-pack it'd at least be in the registry by now.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played 3rd, thanks to Namco being Namco and not releasing it in EU, just because, but according to Xenofanatics, third is the best.
They actually released only worst part in EU, ain't that charming?

that's nice revelation to make right before Valentine's day?
well I'm from south america so, you know :I

3 brought back a lot of the story elements but ultimately they ended up rushing it, so a lot of the stuff felt kind of forced, but at least they wrapped it up, the characters were great in 3 though and it's one thing they got right, and the conclusion to most of the characters were mostly satisfying.

Man I just remember how much I like Tony at the end of ep1 when he listened to shion and saved kos-mos.
tony's boss, wish he had more screen time in 2

and yea, characters are really what's it all about in xenosaga, I find the story itself to be kind of all over the place, often getting lost in sideplots and such (like where were the gnosis in xeno 2?).

so yea if I get more character development like jr.'s in xeno 3 I'll be pretty pleased. like ziggy and chaos are pretty mysterious and I want shion to get in bed with kos-mos already

hey you're free to like it, I thought it was shit from the start right up until the end with the exceptions of a few scenes. it was arguably the least ambitious game bioware's ever made (don't quote me on this, it's like 5 am and I've been playing like 6 hours straight of xenosaga) and they still managed to fuck it up

I heard the dlc is pretty good and I'd be interested to try it since I love my femshep and all but as someone that managed to make amends with me2, I still can't forgive me3 and I can't bring myself to give that game any more of my time

Knurek

In which universe ME3 (or any ME?) is a good game?

It was a fun, if a bit campy, sci-fi adventure game with some (so-so/almost great/great in order of release) shooting segments, well developed side characters and some seriously overplayed lore.
I treated it like a TV series and had a fun time, even with the seriously janky ME1.
I can understand how people how expected an RPG game could feel disappointed, but for me, streamlining the gameplay in later parts was a welcome change.

zkylon

zkylewd
ME is mediocre in my books, not too bad but not good either and I really can't understand fascination with series

it's just a very cool and thought out universe in which you roleplay captain kirk and shoot up giant aliens and have sex with alien chicks. I don't know how not to be fascinated with it

which makes it all the more disappointing when they decide to turn all the sidequests into 2 minute levels ripped from a horde mode, add multiplayer when nobody asked for it (and riddled it with microtransactions), severely limited your dialogue choices, made decisions for you and then ended it all in the stupidest way possible. oh and it added some weird robin-like villain that's embarassing to even think about and it's pretty hard to since he's forgettable as all fuck

like seriously me3 is a trainwreck. the whole wrex planet thing was great but I think it's the only point of that game I enjoyed it. well and the end wasn't so bad until they derped it with space kid

It was a fun, if a bit campy, sci-fi adventure game with some (so-so/almost great/great in order of release) shooting segments, well developed side characters and some seriously overplayed lore.
I treated it like a TV series and had a fun time, even with the seriously janky ME1.
I can understand how people how expected an RPG game could feel disappointed, but for me, streamlining the gameplay in later parts was a welcome change.
yea at its best it's a really good game, but by me3 I wasn't really feeling like captain kirk and more like denny crane :p

milena87

hey you're free to like it, I thought it was shit from the start right up until the end with the exceptions of a few scenes. it was arguably the least ambitious game bioware's ever made (don't quote me on this, it's like 5 am and I've been playing like 6 hours straight of xenosaga) and they still managed to fuck it up

I heard the dlc is pretty good and I'd be interested to try it since I love my femshep and all but as someone that managed to make amends with me2, I still can't forgive me3 and I can't bring myself to give that game any more of my time

I loved how they teased a trial at the beginning of ME3 and then went NOPE! Reaper attack right away!

Most disappointing intro ever :/ Well, together with ME2, of course (it might look cool and all, but it's the beginning of the horrible plot that we get in ME2&3).

JaseC

I see Steam is getting more classic releases then GoG at the moment, oh the irony. And its probably DRM free too.

That it is. Interplay literally just uploaded the GOG build:

descent78lxp.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I loved how they teased a trial at the beginning of ME3 and then went NOPE! Reaper attack right away!

Most disappointing intro ever :/ Well, together with ME2, of course (it might look cool and all, but it's the beginning of the horrible plot that we get in ME2&3).
yea, what's worse is that trials are like the most awesome thing you can have as a player in a rpg

like some dude listing all the bad shit I've done and people testifying against and for me based on my previous actions? and maybe the judges may be swayed if I have a good reputation with them?

that sounds fucking awesome!

instead we get shitty cutscene with random space boy foreshadowing

That it is. Interplay literally just uploaded the GOG build:

descent78lxp.jpg
LOL that's awful

Ban Puncher

Oh shit son it's another...

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT

header.jpg

Twenty four hours and some crude scrawling later I am proud to announce the winner of this MS Paint Giveaway.

And the winner is....

otWM8Kf.png

zmSGaPP.png

zsY6mGS.png

Congratulations Sajjaja!

Talk about starting the show with a show stopper. I think you scared off a lot of the potential competition. PM me and I will send you your Prey key to redeem on Steam.

I would also like to thank Milamber for being a good sport and taking everything in stride. As a consolation prize please PM me Milamber with your Steam contact details and I will gift you a copy of that horrible Walking Dead game everyone wants.

Thank you to the regulars, mods, hangers ons and banned lurkers of SteamGAF for letting this silliness happen. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

JaseC

LOL that's awful

To be fair, using GOG versions of the actual games themselves is rather common among the other publishers who have brought their older stuff over from the site; it's just that Interplay forgot to delete the GOG-specific stuff that's included in the installation (in addition to GOG's DOSbox utility, the manual and reference card are also there) before uploading the game to Steam.

Knurek

To be fair, using GOG versions of the actual games themselves is rather common among the other publishers who have brought their older stuff over from the site; it's just that Interplay forgot to delete the GOG-specific stuff that's included in the installation (in addition to GOG's DOSbox utility, the manual and reference card are also there) before uploading the game to Steam.

I have to wonder how many publishers will update Steam version whenever Dosbox 0.75 comes out. :)

zkylon

zkylewd

it's just bamco level not-giving-a-shit-ness

I'm impressed

Arthea

That it is. Interplay literally just uploaded the GOG build
pic

That's funny, sort of

edited: we should all buy descent and make let's play, to see how many of us have strong stomachs (><)
On more serious note, it probably has no effect now, when we already got used to much more realistic graphics and movement.

header.jpg

Twenty four hours and some crude scrawling later I am proud to announce the winner of this MS Paint Giveaway.

And the winner is....

otWM8Kf.png

zmSGaPP.png

zsY6mGS.png

Congratulations Sajjaja!

Talk about starting the show with a show stopper. I think you scared off a lot of the potential competition. PM me and I will send you your Prey key to redeem on Steam.

I would also like to thank Milamber for being a good sport and taking everything in stride. As a consolation prize please PM me Milamber with your Steam contact details and I will gift you a copy of that horrible Walking Dead game everyone wants.

Thank you to the regulars, mods, hangers ons and banned lurkers of SteamGAF for letting this silliness happen. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

OOqXz.gif

JaseC

it's just bamco level not-giving-a-shit-ness

I'm impressed

If Interplay would so kind as to extend that to Messiah and the Redneck Rampage Collection, I'd be more than pleased. ;) (I own them on GOG already, of course.)

Knurek

Well, what else could they do? Release the games untouched or redo all the work GOG did to make them compatible for no reason?

There's not really that much work GOG does on Dosbox releases - they frequently use only Adlib soundtrack instead of better (harder to work with) options. Most work goes into securing release rights, I'd say.

Milamber

header.jpg

And the winner is....

Congratulations Sajjaja!

Congrats Sajjaja, too bad there weren't even more entries.

Sajjaja

There was never any real competition. Once we saw that everyone gave up.

Also slightly curious what he named the rapelay sequel. Rapelay 2: Layers ...?

Well I couldn't say rape harder now could I?

Layers works....if you think about it....

Congrats Sajjaja, too bad there weren't even more entries.

Thanks man. Couldn't have done it without you.

And yeah I wish there were more entries. I really wouldn't minded if I lost because it was just fun to do.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
how come jazz jackrabbit is not on steam?
Gabe hates good games. A 1080p, Workshop-enabled JJ2? With multiplayer via Steamworks? And trading cards and achievements? And bug fixes (though they'd have to be optional, or else the test levels would stop working) and with the bonus levels finished and implemented? And with Lori and the Secret Files and Christmas Chronicles episodes, plus a new Steam exclusive one?

I'd pay some 15 bucks for that, probably. Throw the soundtrack in there too and you can make it $20.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262260

Some reviews are difficult to write and some are refreshingly easy. Often this is because the game is so terrible that it is easy to make a case about not buying it. For Jets'N'Guns Gold this task is even easier. You fly a jet, you have guns and the game is gold, so from step one you know pretty much everything you need to know.

When I say it is "gold" I mean of a very high quality provided you value a brand of pure and crazy fun. When I say crazy? Well I pretty much mean this:

ibla9cF47uVniJ.gif

Which isn't to say that getting blown up is all there is to it, because there is a surprising amount of depth and content here. Not only do you get a couple of hundred enemy types, but you also get a mini-store at the start of each level and plenty of upgrades and customisation options to sink your teeth into.

You will need all the help you can get too, because Jets'N'Guns Gold is hard...very hard. In fact there might be just too much going on at any one time to cope with. Inevitably, your first few flights will end in sudden and spectacular failure. But as you push forward you begin to learn the waves and rules of where to position yourself and progress is possible and hence very rewarding.

Taking a leaf out of games like Silkworm or UN Squadron, you will also get to take on ground targets with bombs and angled weapons. I always appreciate this in shooters to mix up the action and it gives you something to avoid flying into. When you couple this with the ability to gun down ejected pilots? You know you are in for a good time.

i1gCg9xTksTCb.gif

Will it be for everybody? Probably not, because there are some high demands on skill being asked for. But if you have played similar shooters on steam and want something just a little bit more insane with a bit more depth? Send a couple of bucks in this game's direction.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Jets N Guns Gold -- MB-9AA1E5D0957B3068 - Taken by Tizoc. 10 entrants total.

t1392114579z1.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Good friend of mine was bitching to me about how he has to spend Friday with his gf when all he wants to do is play Eschalon Book III. :p He's one of the very few people I know who's excited for that game (not because it isn't good, just very niche - demo for 1 was fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom