• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao

Any chance of Bungie's Oni getting onto steam?

Probably 0. While I really liked Oni back then, I'm not sure if it holds up that well these days. It was also an early PS2 port and with that not that great to look at.

Once I finish Alice: Madness Returns (such a beautiful game), I'll see if I can get back to Remember Me, because it gave me some of that Oni vibe.

UnrealEck

Is there anyone else using beta that is getting weird computer freezes then a dialogue box popping up relating to Steam's account authorization? It's doing my nut in. It completely locks me out of my PC. I leave it for about 5 minutes then that Steam thing pops up so I'm guessing it's some sort of bug with beta that's causing some sort of CPU loophole thingymagigeriebob.
I need to hard reset my PC when it does it. Doesn't happen often though, maybe once per day or once every couple of days.

Probably 0. While I really liked Oni back then, I'm not sure if it holds up that well these days. It was also an early PS2 port and with that not that great to look at.

Once I finish Alice: Madness Returns (such a beautiful game), I'll see if I can get back to Remember Me, because it gave me some of that Oni vibe.

what if Remember Me 2 is an Oni crossover

What other Steam games have that same GitS vibe?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What's with all the Mass Effect 3 hate, the game is perfectly serviceable, and quite good if you play the non-Omega DLCs.
There's really no need to go all-Derrickey on it.
To me the game was a mediocre shooter with a bunch of extremely annoying moments, such as the
Greyson Academy
. For someone who's trying to save the galaxy, Shepard sure likes to waste his time fighting a (supposedly small and clandestine) human organization (which seems to be everywhere he goes). The quest log is a mess, as is the sidequest system. The inventory and weapon modification is a lame excuse to try and bring back a simplified version of the ME1 RPG elements. The game requires the player to buy several pieces of DLC if they want the ending to make some minimal sense, neither of which was out when I played the game.

And yes, the ending plainly sucked. I don't know how much Leviathan changed things, but my experience with the vanilla game (plus From Ashes) is that it was awful. Came out of nowhere (not even a plot twist, but a sudden magical apparition), and it even contradicted some events from that same game.

It's not a terrible game, but I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. And I already knew the ending was terrible, because I played it a month after its release. Besides, I don't see why "going all Derricky" on a game is bad, provided you state your reasons for doing so (which he usually did).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's extremely unlikely.

edited: Jasec stole my show! I wanted to be the first party pooper!

tumblr_mkddv1lc9p1s28ozsze.gif

The Art of Alice: Madness Returns is the one and only video game-related book I own, though having said that I wish Valve would occasionally have Raising the Bar republished for sale on its store.

Edit: I've just reminded myself that Valve pulled the plug on The Art of Portal 2. :(

Freezard

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262260

Some reviews are difficult to write and some are refreshingly easy. Often this is because the game is so terrible that it is easy to make a case about not buying it. For Jets'N'Guns Gold this task is even easier. You fly a jet, you have guns and the game is gold, so from step one you know pretty much everything you need to know.

Can't believe you didn't mention the awesome music ;___;

Jawmuncher

I love how i'm in the 1% who didn't care at all about how the ending was handled.
Actually sort of liked how it was so vague and really didn't "pay off" at the end of it.

Anteater

I didn't even get to the end of me3, played like half of the PS plus version on ps3

only remember the framerate was horrible, I'm surprised they didn't get more shit for that.

Sajjaja

I didn't even get to the end of me3, played like half of the PS plus version on ps3

only remember the framerate was horrible, I'm surprised they didn't get more shit for that.

I played it on PS3 and it was fine. Even put a hundred hours into the multiplayer.

The problem with ME3's ending is not the "vague" nature of it but how many plot holes it manages to stuff into 10 minutes. Not to mention how half the endings require you to play online to get points, as doing every single sidequest doesn't get you enough. Almost nothing about the game lines up with previous entries, and certain elements even manage to conflict with the ME2 dlc that had been released not too long before. Plus the game as a whole feels very rushed, with the sidequests in particular being poorly handled. When you're walking around the citadel you come across people talking and without even saying a word to them go and complete a fetch quest for them. It's absurd.

Despite all of that the game is still fun to go through, and has some really great moments. Just can't help but imagine how it might have turned out with an extra year in development and writers who didn't have memory loss.

Tizoc

header_292x136.jpg

Some reviews are difficult to write and some are refreshingly easy. Often this is because the game is so terrible that it is easy to make a case about not buying it. For Jets'N'Guns Gold this task is even easier. You fly a jet, you have guns and the game is gold, so from step one you know pretty much everything you need to know.

When I say it is "gold" I mean of a very high quality provided you value a brand of pure and crazy fun. When I say crazy? Well I pretty much mean this:

ibla9cF47uVniJ.gif

Which isn't to say that getting blown up is all there is to it, because there is a surprising amount of depth and content here. Not only do you get a couple of hundred enemy types, but you also get a mini-store at the start of each level and plenty of upgrades and customisation options to sink your teeth into.

You will need all the help you can get too, because Jets'N'Guns Gold is hard...very hard. In fact there might be just too much going on at any one time to cope with. Inevitably, your first few flights will end in sudden and spectacular failure. But as you push forward you begin to learn the waves and rules of where to position yourself and progress is possible and hence very rewarding.

Taking a leaf out of games like Silkworm or UN Squadron, you will also get to take on ground targets with bombs and angled weapons. I always appreciate this in shooters to mix up the action and it gives you something to avoid flying into. When you couple this with the ability to gun down ejected pilots? You know you are in for a good time.

i1gCg9xTksTCb.gif

Will it be for everybody? Probably not, because there are some high demands on skill being asked for. But if you have played similar shooters on steam and want something just a little bit more insane with a bit more depth? Send a couple of bucks in this game's direction.

Thanks I've won this, gonna redeem soon.

Arthea

They all had issues: popups, bad framerate, loading times, nobody cared.
Although that surprises me less, than most not caring about how bad gameplay is. Well maybe bad is a wrong word, bland is better.
And I also didn't care about ending, but I played with the ending patch, must be said.

s Steam Store down for you guys?

nope, works now, but I had some minor problems with it earlier today.

Anteater

They all had issues: popups, bad framerate, loading times, nobody cared.
Although that surprises me less, than most not caring about how bad gameplay is. Well maybe bad is a wrong word, bland is better.
And I also didn't care about ending, but I played with the ending patch, must be said.

I think that's mostly because they've improved on controls and gunplay of the game, I didn't think it was spectacular, but it was serviceable, the standard usually isn't too high with shooters that are story driven.

I don't hate mass effect 3 though, I just stopped caring after 2, they were fun with great characters but I'm not really that emotionally invested into the series, I stopped playing because my ps3 phat died midway through the stupid game :p

The-Bean

s Steam Store down for you guys?

The store seems to be loading just fine but I'm getting an error when trying to purchase:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Knurek

Besides, I don't see why "going all Derricky" on a game is bad, provided you state your reasons for doing so (which he usually did).

It isn't, like you said, provided you state your reasons.
It's just that I've seen too much of griping for griping's sake here.

JaseC

Amazon.com has NBA 2K14 for 14,99 and the 5$ voucher for Editor's Choice still works, it shows me I can get it for 9,99. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00D93B5VI/

Interesting. If anybody has a spare EC coupon they're unlikely to use, I'd appreciate a helping hand, and since Amazon hates PayPal I can offer a $10 gift card code instead. Typically I'd just wait for a sale on Steam itself and pick up a copy from my trader, but the RU sub is region-locked.

Edit: Sorted.

The store seems to be loading just fine but I'm getting an error when trying to purchase:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

I was getting that a couple of nights ago for a few hours, but it started working eventually (yesterday when I tried again).

I now own The Witcher, having completed TW2... my god TW1 reaaaaaallly makes you appreciate the quality of TW2's graphics :)

JaseC

Haha, I just noticed that the Descent image in my activity feed actually belongs to Descent 2:

capsule_231x87.jpg

Oops! ;)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I would also like to thank Milamber for being a good sport and taking everything in stride. As a consolation prize please PM me Milamber with your Steam contact details and I will gift you a copy of that horrible Walking Dead game everyone wants.
What, so if people make fun of you you get stuff for free? C'mon guys, I wanna be ridiculized too :(

Well, there's your problem.
I knew someone was gonna say this! I haven't finished my second playthrough of ME1, where I was rolling a full renegade FemShep, because I wanted to take her to lvl 60, and that would require 2 or 3 whole playthroughs. I started rushing through it, choosing every neutral dialogue option and skipping whatever I could skip, but that wasn't what I wanted to do. Maybe I should forget about the lvl 60 stuff, get this one over with and start my real renegade save.

_hekk05

Banned
What, so if people make fun of you you get stuff for free? C'mon guys, I wanna be ridiculized too :(

I knew someone was gonna say this! I haven't finished my second playthrough of ME1, where I was rolling a full renegade FemShep, because I wanted to take her to lvl 60, and that would require 2 or 3 whole playthroughs. I started rushing through it, choosing every neutral dialogue option and skipping whatever I could skip, but that wasn't what I wanted to do. Maybe I should forget about the lvl 60 stuff, get this one over with and start my real renegade save.

Gotta do something ridiculous first. No repeats, so you can't show off your sexy desktop

Anteater

my bald femshep was fucking awesome, she looked uglier after imported to 2 and that severely affected my emotional attachment with my character.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
anyone played Dream?
Sounds like interesting concept if done right. It's still EA though.
I think we need a different acronym for Early Access. My brain automatically reads Electronic Arts and sends a shiver down my spine.

I fear for Mirror's Edge 2. I don't have too much faith in it.

Gotta do something ridiculous first. No repeats, so you can't show off your sexy desktop
Can I show my unsexy body?

You never said anything about phone wallpapers. Would that work?

Momentary

Banned
header_292x136.jpg

When I say it is "gold" I mean of a very high quality provided you value a brand of pure and crazy fun. When I say crazy? Well I pretty much mean this:

ibla9cF47uVniJ.gif

Which isn't to say that getting blown up is all there is to it, because there is a surprising amount of depth and content here. Not only do you get a couple of hundred enemy types, but you also get a mini-store at the start of each level and plenty of upgrades and customisation options to sink your teeth into.

You will need all the help you can get too, because Jets'N'Guns Gold is hard...very hard. In fact there might be just too much going on at any one time to cope with. Inevitably, your first few flights will end in sudden and spectacular failure. But as you push forward you begin to learn the waves and rules of where to position yourself and progress is possible and hence very rewarding.

Taking a leaf out of games like Silkworm or UN Squadron, you will also get to take on ground targets with bombs and angled weapons. I always appreciate this in shooters to mix up the action and it gives you something to avoid flying into. When you couple this with the ability to gun down ejected pilots? You know you are in for a good time.

i1gCg9xTksTCb.gif

Will it be for everybody? Probably not, because there are some high demands on skill being asked for. But if you have played similar shooters on steam and want something just a little bit more insane with a bit more depth? Send a couple of bucks in this game's direction.

I never read a review that made me buy something I had no interest in. This is the first one.

Authority

Banned
Almost sold on the following title;

Path of Shadows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyp6-L4KJa8

Download the Prototype

www.thepathofshadows.com

"Path of Shadows was originally a student project, being the public downloadable prototype our "portfolio". Right now, the future of Path of Shadows looks quite bright (pun intended). The Path of Shadows engine is being ported to Unity3D in preparations to convert it into a full commercial game."

21.jpg

A Dark Tale

A mysterious goddess locked in a guarded temple. A strange warrior back from the dead. A dangerous journey full of blood and secrets.

18.jpg

Control The Shadows

You are the perfect assassin. Manipulate the shadows at your will. Create new shadows and move instantly between them as you silently hunt your enemies.

2.jpg

Classic Stealth

Heavily inspired by classic stealth games like the Tenchu saga and the Thief series, Path of Shadows goes back to the roots of stealth. Different approaches for every situation, unforgiving enemies and tactical slow-paced gameplay.

24.jpg

Next Gen Development

The unique world and art style of Path of Shadows comes alive with the power of Unity 3D. Experience the game in Windows, Mac, Linux and next gen consoles.

Coming to Kickstarter in March 2014
26562.png

In a land ruled by immortal gods, religious factions and magic, a dead warrior comes back to the world of the living. All memories of his past life lost and with the newfound gift of Shadow Control, our anti-hero starts a deadly journey filled with violence, dark magic, powerful beings and echoes of the past. Will you walk the Path of Shadows?

Path of Shadows is a 3rd Person Stealth Game for PC, Mac and Linux that combines the essence of stealth classics like the Tenchu Saga with the modern approach of recent gems like Mark of the Ninja and Dishonored.

You control a reborn warrior in a mission to rescue a mysterious deity from a temple fortress. To aid you in this task, you are given the power of Shadow Control. To infiltrate the temple you will need to sneak past guards, teleport between shadows, create your own areas of darkness and strategically assassinate your targets.

You are the perfect assassin.

Infiltrate the sacred city with your supernatural skills. Control the shadows of your environment and move instantly between them. You are one with the shadows.

Choose your playstyle.

Each situation has different possible approaches. Will you be the merciless emissary of death? Or maybe an undetectable ghost?

A beautiful and mysterious world.

Watch the world of Path of Shadows come alive with an unique dark cel shaded art style, vivid with detail.

Return to the roots of stealth.

Go back to the days of pure stealth with classic gameplay mechanics and challenging difficulty.

Replayability.

Replay each scenario to improve your stealth rating. Complete each scenario with different tactics and achieve perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom