• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
So this happened:
8dDYytl.png

Good, mindless fun. Perfect game to play while you listen to podcasts.

So based

Quick poll: would people be interested in an option in Enhanced Steam that would let you completely hide all Early Access games from the home page and search pages?

It's an oft-requested feature, but I've been hesitant to do anything on it because Valve is pushing the Early Access agenda so heavily.

I personally would not like that unless it's not a default option.

Quick poll: would people be interested in an option in Enhanced Steam that would let you completely hide all Early Access games from the home page and search pages?

It's an oft-requested feature, but I've been hesitant to do anything on it because Valve is pushing the Early Access agenda so heavily.
Personally the banners are good enough for me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, have had my eye on No Time To Explain for a while, but don't really want anything else in that bundle. Is it just a dollar minimum for those games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I personally would not like that unless it's not a default option.

It definitely would not be turned on by default - you would need to check the box in the options to hide them.

Personally the banners are good enough for me.

I feel the same way, but honestly some people are incredibly outraged that Valve would allow this "crap" on Steam. I'm trying to empathize but I'm more of school of thought that says "More games on Steam is always a good thing. Sure, some are crap, but some Early Access games are really good."

It kind of bugs me that the Resident Evil 6: All Modes Pack doesn't include the correct App ID for the fourth DLC and is thus not listed on the store page.

It also means that people who buy this pack will have the "Siege Mode" DLC in the game, but the store page won't ever show that you own it nor will it be highlighted in Enhanced Steam.

Actually I don't :(

Then that's even worse, especially since the page clearly says "Includes all four game modes for Resident Evil 6". I would contact Steam support.

According to SteamDB, you have this app which is unnamed.

heh, Steam redirects me to Capcom's support page. oh boy.

edit: Ah, a different category seems to work.

You guys might have forgotten about this but I wrote Steam support yesterday, asking them to fix it and tada

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/38561/#

Salsa

Usually that's not the store fault, but on the warranty conditions from the manufactor. I also have 1 dead pixel on my ASUS laptop and couldn't send it to repairs under the warranty because of that.

yah, im just bummed cause I 'betrayed' my usual hardware store and since im an old customer they would have exchanged it without questions if it was under a 72 hour period

staying with that store from now on

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bleed -- MB-488DD0D5FBE86B99 - Taken by Man Puncher. 16 entrants total.

t1392224562z1.png

fun game

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I have discovered two things about myself.

One, I am quite able to transform into my five year old self mentally for the purpose of playing a specific game.
Two, I am addicted to any version of Sid Meier's Pirates!.

Thanks for the game Hinomura. I really do appreciate it when mystery games are not Bad Rats.

Go for this game people. Bleed is a fun twin-stick shooter platformer that while the controls take some time getting used to just because it's so different from our normal adventures with side-scrolling run and gun action platformers it looks like, it's a blast to play for high score playthroughs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

No Time To Explain -- MB-EF66395F72DD9641 - Taken by bronson. 12 entrants total.

t1392225013z1.png

Do BundleStars bundles usually have a "sale" period? I ask since the Brutal Bundle is about to end and I want to pick it up, but my profile shows that I bought one of the previous bundles when it was 25% off.

Just a sometimes-thing?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
as expected they won't exchange my monitor unless it has 5 dead pixels

I'm stuck learning to live with this guy, and I'm not buying anything from that shitty store again

ugh
This is pure bullshit, and one of the most anti-consumer measures I've ever heard of. The product is defective from factory, how can they not replace it? How are they even legally allowed not to?

MMMMmmmm... Leftovers [/MFDOOM]

ModBot said:
Instructions for corrosivefrost:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

No Time To Explain -- MB-695961B422EFD46B - Taken by KenOD. 18 entrants total.
Bleed -- MB-48C79A1285E8A00F - Taken by Evrain. 20 entrants total.

t1392236623z1.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That's kind of insulting to the devs using early access, although some people have their nose in the air about the program. It should definitely be opt in if it's included.

Salsa

well, nevertheless it's cool to have a monitor again, after playing mostly gamepad stuff on the TV

guess i'll take the opportunity to play something meant to be played on a monitor with a mouse and keyboard

got my backer key from Broken Age so i'll probably go with that and then maybe Shadowrun

edit: after I finish Rising tho, but that shouldnt take long

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh wow, Unearthed is in a bundle. Perfect timing since I just beat The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

Speaking of The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. There's not really any possible way to look at this game and say that it's a good, successful game. It's ugly, the story doesn't really make much sense, there are no characters to speak of, the levels are boxy, small, and dull, combat doesn't feel particularly good, there are no real set-pieces, it has all the hallmarks of a rushed, low-budget licensed title. It's also short--around 5-6 hours for first completion. I can't hold this up as any kind of hidden gem or recommend it to anyone who normally shies away from bad games.

That being said, I think the idea behind the game was pretty cool. The developers basically said "Let's remake Oregon Trail as an FPS with zombies." You can choose between different paths, meaning you have to play the game at least twice to see every level. You can pick up people to add to your group--these characters have no personalities and are not seen during levels but can scavenge for items. You occasionally break down on the roads or run out of gas or hit a blockade and have to play mini-levels to go on. Resource management is pretty key as you have very limited resources throughout the game, you never really get ahead of the curve. You can have people in your group die or dismiss them if you don't have room for them. There are optional objectives in levels that can lead to newer vehicles or extra survivors to add to your groups.

Conceptually, that's really cool to me. I wish a game with more budget and dev time could make use of some of these ideas. They're not really well implemented. The scavenging and roadblock missions reuse the same very small content, nothing is really engaging, the survivor party members don't add anything to your game, and since they have no characterization or really any dialogue you don't feel bad about dismissing them (they don't even do a Final Fantasy Tactics style thing where people cry and beg to let them to stay).

I don't really have much to say about the core FPS gameplay. The weapons are sort of dull, zombies only die from headshots, most of your kills will be QTE stealth kills with your hunting knife. Using the machete felt pretty satisfying to me, and when you unlock the crossbow... oh, by the way, this is a game where you play as the redneck guy with the crossbow from The Walking Dead TV show, voiced by his original actor. The character is a fucking bore and I have no idea why anyone made a game about him or why he's a popular character in the show... when you unlock the crossbow that's pretty fun. You can retrieve arrows from enemies bodies even while they're still alive. It's pretty satisfying to walk backwards slowly as a zombie is chasing you, shoot it with an arrow, pull the arrow out of its body, and then immediately shoot it again in the same arrow all without being hit. If you have a good hit rate you can functionally have infinite crossbow ammo for the rest of the game. Besides those two weapons everything else was pretty boring. When zombies get close enough to you there's kind of a interactive stick-waggling QTE to kill them, and this is neat the first few times but when like 20 zombies get close to you they basically line up one by one and you're just sitting there for like 5 minutes experiencing the same QTE again and again until you either clear the room or die. Ideally don't get into situations where the zombies can mob you.

The game is built to be played at least twice as you don't experience about a third of the content the first time. There are no difficulty level options, but your second time playing you have unlocked perks based on which survivors made it to the end the first time through so I suspect it's easier the second time around. I got 23/50 achievements the first play through. I'm of two minds. I liked, or rather tolerated, the game enough that I kind of want to play the rest of the levels in a sort of morbid, this game is a stinker, kind of way, so I might do a second playthrough.

I guess then, this is me recommending The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct if you like bad, maddening, frustrating, dull games or you can get a sort of weird enjoyment out of them. But if you're looking for a good game, or even a hidden gem, this is definitely not it. I'll add that the 38 Metacritic rating very obviously reflects reviewers going into the game aware that it's a budget license title and looking for an excuse to beat up on it. Yeah, it's bad, but I've played a lot worse games with a lot fewer interesting ideas--even if the ideas don't work. This is way better than Homefront or Rogue Warrior or Aliens: Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3 imho.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Not the Robots -- MB-063AE77944A55942 - Taken by topyy. 9 entrants total.

t1392227849z1.png

Wow! I'm not gonna name any names in case they wanted to be anonymous, but I woke up to 2 PMs today offering to gift me Civ 5! Steam-GAF, some of you guys are so generous. It's very humbling.

And with Civ 5 now in my quiver, I think my Steam game collection is complete for now. I can't think of anything else I want. I've been toying with getting Dark Souls for months, but I could never pull the trigger even during the winter sale. Especially when I heard that it isn't as good without a controller. Maybe I'll just save up and wait for Dark Souls 2 and see if that is better for mouse + keyboard.

Skyblue

Banned

I'll love you forever if you can do that.

Jawmuncher

I absolutely would love to have that as a feature.
I don't mind early acess but sometimes those games just obliterate the main page.

Tellaerin

Shion's design gets worst every game and also covers less every game.

This is my reaction everytime I see Shion's progression (add head shaking):
nosemassage.gif

Characters' faces and proportions are best in the third game, IMO. I really didn't like the the character models in the first game (they looked like glass-eyed vinyl dolls with oversized heads to me), and the faces in the second looked twenty kinds of wrong.

If they had kept that character style in episode 3, but had Shion dressed in something like her episode 2 outfit, that would've been ideal. The real failure was in costume design.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I absolutely would love to have that as a feature.
I don't mind early acess but sometimes those games just obliterate the main page.

I suppose I should clarify somewhat. By "hidden" I mean like... missing. Without going into the technical details, removing them completely really messes things up. So with the option enabled, the top sellers list on the homepage would look like this:

Nabs

Typing of the Dead: Overkill - Love at First Bite DLC - $2.99

Roses are red, violets are blue, mutants are ugly, so what do we do? Well, this time players will
need to type increasingly more overblown and contrived sweet nothings in order to repel hordes
of amorous mutants queuing up to give them a love bite they’ll never forget.

edit: It's all yours Turfster, haha!

Apparently Game Tycoon 1.5 is suffering from serious problems, should we be on alert for risk of removal?

Apparently the game is actually missing the .exe needed to run? That's pretty great. Developer only has one game on Steam (this one), so probably a JaseC question.

Daily Pac Man DX + 50% off

Edit: Dammit Nabs, you've got your niche, new releases, stay out of mine! *flicks switchknife*

Turfster
(Today, 01:01 PM)

You have no one to blame but yourself.

topyy

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Not the Robots -- MB-063AE77944A55942 - Taken by topyy. 9 entrants total.

t1392227849z1.png

thanks,Mr.anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom