• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

A little something:

Thanks once again for FEAR 2. Just finished, love it from start to finish. Had me on the edge of my seat at times. What excites me the most is I heard the first one is even better, so I think i'll be trying to track that one down soon.

Admittedly i'm not much of an FPS guy, so to others this may have seemed generic, but seeing as i've barely played any since Half Life 1 and 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein it all seemed good to me :)

nexen

If Microsoft started releasing Halo and Forza on PC I would be so happy.

So happy that I'd never buy another of their consoles ever again.

Halo and Gears, yes, but any attempt by MS to re-enter the PC DD space would live and die by its ability to launch such titles day and date, or near enough, with the X1 releases. Fable's reputation is tarnished beyond repair while I think some have a rather romanticised view of PGR's popularity.

Edit: If you meant Forza, throw it in with Halo and Gears.

All in good time. ;)

Oops, I did mean Forza. I forgot there hasn't been a PGR in a while. I played PGR on the original Xbox and liked it a bit. I tried Forza at a GameStop and it seemed pretty good. I'm not too knowledgeable about realistic car racers though. I prefer arcade style racing.

Fable... I disliked it quite a bit to be honest. I only played the first one.

I've played every Halo and Gears (except Judgement) and those games would be killer on PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
That right there pretty much sums up my feelings about the character designs.

We need more space opera-ish science fiction RPG's in general. There just aren't enough of them, especially when you look at all the fantasy RPG's out there. Speaking of, I'll probably end up rambling about my ME3 experience once I finish that up. (Just got done on Thessia last night, so I think I'm getting close to the end here. Though I keep getting distracted by the multiplayer. ME3 multi's surprisingly good, even if I'm not all that great at it.)
yup, space opera is boss when done fine, it's all kinds of fun exaggerated silliness with megarace nonsense and everyone yelling and spaceships and lesbians and escaping just right from an explosion and self destruction sequences and sexy ai robots and a billion different terms to explain space-flight and the internet and just overall a lot of cool shit

like seriously who wouldn't want to play captain kirk for fucks sake

also I think my problem with the me3 multiplayer isn't so much that it's not fun but that it affects the singleplayer negatively

The_Monk

Oh wow, Unearthed is in a bundle. Perfect timing since I just beat The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

Good impressions but I have to wonder where does come from your fascination with these very average games. I think I saw another mod in here saying that Stump playing a good game is something hard to achieve. I'm starting to believe!

Copons

I would love a PGR release on PC, but for Metropolis Street Racer I'd GFWL all over myself.

I played it for so much time that I was totally certain
to be honest, I'm certain even now!
to know San Francisco roads better than natives.

nexen

Thanks once again for FEAR 2. Just finished, love it from start to finish. Had me on the edge of my seat at times. What excites me the most is I heard the first one is even better, so I think i'll be trying to track that one down soon.

Admittedly i'm not much of an FPS guy, so to others this may have seemed generic, but seeing as i've barely played any since Half Life 1 and 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein it all seemed good to me :)

I think Fear 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate and Fear 1 a lot of undeserved praise.
Fear 1 overstayed its welcome with me by many hours. Some of the best gunplay in any fps though.

I would love a PGR release on PC, but for Metropolis Street Racer I'd GFWL all over myself.

I played it for so much time that I was totally certain
to be honest, I'm certain even now!
to know San Francisco roads better than natives.

Well, if you have a copy of the game already there's the option of emulating it on NullDC. Pretty much any decent gaming rig these days can perfectly emulate the dreamcast without breaking much of a sweat. So you have options.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Apparently, those "old ass emails" are what they're looking for.

I imagine the reason to not just give IndieGala the keys is that IndieGala is basically a huge fuckup when it comes to this stuff. Since the game was in the bundle as a DRM Free download, there is no place on their page to put a Steam key. The same thing happened when Postal hit Steam.

just checked and i dont have indiegala 8 anyway, still shit practice espcially when we know how easy steam keys are to generate

I think Fear 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate and Fear 1 a lot of undeserved praise.
Fear 1 overstayed its welcome with me by many hours. Some of the best gunplay in any fps though.

I don't know...
I loved Fear 1 but couldn't get into Fear 2 at all.

Maybe I'll give it another look after awhile.

Picking between FEAR 1 and 2 is pretty hard, I'd agree. They're very different if I recall correctly, but I really enjoyed the visual pickup of 2 and it's mo' streamlined sections.

Evrain

It's marked as an indie as well. Humble Treasure Bundle anyone?
DREAM MODE ON
Welcome to the Humble Danmaku Bundle!
$1 tier:
- Satazius
- Ether Vapor Remaster
- eXceed Complete Package
- GENETOS
BTA Tier:
- Ikaruga
- Ketsui Xtra
- Mushihimesama Complete Collection
- DoDonPachi Saga
- Crimzon Clover

DREAM MODE OFF

nexen

I don't know...
I loved Fear 1 but couldn't get into Fear 2 at all.

Maybe I'll give it another look after awhile.

Depends on what you like.
Fear 2 had more variety in the gameplay and much less filler.
Fear 1 had far better gunplay.

I appreciate Fear 1, but I never could bring myself to finish it. It felt like it was just repeated the same thing over and over again. Fear 2 I blasted through in a weekend and enjoyed myself.

Also Fear 1 had a cool enemy mobility system that was new to the genre and I think it generated a lot of excitement at the time because of it. Fear 2 didn't really do anything new at all that I can recall.

Lords of shadow is really fun, but if they're pissed about people comparing it to god of war then they should've gotten rid of those shitty QTE stuff, silly devs.

and I'm going to compare the shitty platforming to uncharted until they get rid of it or make them better, that's right.

The platforming is better than Uncharted in that it's not braindead. However, some of the camera angles and jump requirements are a bit unforgiving.

And it's more than QTEs that make it like God of War.

I think I was doing those! Must've been using the healing magic too much, that first knight boss was fun until it started doing the liquid thing that grabs you from the ground, I think I missed the QTE trigger too so it regened :lol

anything that hits the ground will kill the puddles.
so both of the combos I recommended will help you out immensely if you time/aim them right.

Does the Typing of the Dead dlc only change what you are typing? No additional content?

Yes. Think of them as additional dictionaries.

Aww, I still can't throw money at it.

That's what I said!

DREAM MODE ON
Welcome to the Humble Danmaku Bundle!
$1 tier:
- Satazius
- Ether Vapor Remaster
- eXceed Complete Package
- GENETOS
BTA Tier:
- Ikaruga
- Ketsui Xtra
- Mushihimesama Complete Collection
- DoDonPachi Saga
- Crimzon Clover

DREAM MODE OFF

Sign me up.
I don't care how much I already own.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, it's not generic at all. The first two games (and their expansions and DLC) are dripping with atmosphere. I consider the first one a masterpiece, so you'd be doing yourself a favor by playing it.

The third one is dripping with diarrhea, but I must admit that the co-op is tolerable and even... fun. But it's a disgrace to the franchise.

Can I have your version of F.E.A.R.? Mine felt pretty short, lol

Anteater

The platforming is better than Uncharted in that it's not braindead. However, some of the camera angles and jump requirements are a bit unforgiving.

And it's more than QTEs that make it like God of War.

anything that hits the ground will kill the puddles.
so both of the combos I recommended will help you out immensely if you time/aim them right.

The platforming is a bit annoying, like I wanted to drop lower with the grapple but you just fall to your death if you go too low, the rest are still kind of braindead tbh.

I didn't know you could hit the puddles =o I just avoided them the entire fight, that explains it.

Just beat the bat wolf boss with the hammer and he went down much quicker, it was fun!

Copons

Well, if you have a copy of the game already there's the option of emulating it on NullDC. Pretty much any decent gaming rig these days can perfectly emulate the dreamcast without breaking much of a sweat. So you have options.

I had but not anymore as, back then, my 18 or something years old me was dumb as fuck and traded a godly DC and every game I had for a disappointing (at the time at least) secular PS2. :(

Also, is NullDC the current standard for DC emulation? I'm kinda eager of re-play both Shenmues, as I re-bought them recently! ^^

EDIT: now that I think of it, I also have a Dreamcast, so why bother emulating? :D
(or are the graphics improvements worth it?)

bo_by_intheflorsh-d765zuz.png

Edit: Now it has been replaced with dongs.

Anteater

I had but not anymore as, back then, my 18 or something years old me was dumb as fuck and traded a godly DC and every game I had for a disappointing (at the time at least) secular PS2. :(

Also, is NullDC the current standard for DC emulation? I'm kinda eager of re-play both Shenmues, as I re-bought them recently! ^^

now you've rebought them I have a feeling the shenmue HD will be released, thanks Copons, the time has come.

jonno394

Nah, it's not generic at all. The first two games (and their expansions and DLC) are dripping with atmosphere. I consider the first one a masterpiece, so you'd be doing yourself a favor by playing it.

The third one is dripping with diarrhea, but I must admit that the co-op is tolerable and even... fun. But it's a disgrace to the franchise.

Yeah I loved the atmosphere, think it lost abit during the middle though but the opening chapters and the first steps in to the city were amazing. So was the last level!

Yeah I will be avoiding the third after all i've read, unless I see it for dirt cheap!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Characters' faces and proportions are best in the third game, IMO. I really didn't like the the character models in the first game (they looked like glass-eyed vinyl dolls with oversized heads to me), and the faces in the second looked twenty kinds of wrong.

If they had kept that character style in episode 3, but had Shion dressed in something like her episode 2 outfit, that would've been ideal. The real failure was in costume design.

Yeah, 3 was when they finally nailed the character designs. It was the right balance between stylized/anime and realistic, the prequels went too far into either direction.
I was really pleased with that since I had the same issues as you with the first game and was really disappointed with the redesigns in the second. Also no more lego hands!

I should replay these in the emulator, well atleast Ep. 3 anyway.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone needs to start tagging the "Pay to Unlock" DLC on Steam as "Pay to Unlock". This it can become a popular tag on things like Magic the Gathering DLC and a lot of the F2P stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom