• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
notacxijyz.jpg

I did my part. Now it's listed as a Popular tag.

Oh god, I knew I shouldn't have done it but I started playing Crackcocaine V again, this time on online vs. my brother and what seemed like 5 minutes was hours and a half.

Caerith

Everyone needs to start tagging the "Pay to Unlock" DLC on Steam as "Pay to Unlock". This it can become a popular tag on things like Magic the Gathering DLC and a lot of the F2P stuff.

Good idea. While we're at it, I started applying "Overpriced Port of a Mobile Game" to some offenders.

Edit: two more.

Also more people need to add "Visual Novel" to Long Live the Queen.

Tenrius

I had but not anymore as, back then, my 18 or something years old me was dumb as fuck and traded a godly DC and every game I had for a disappointing (at the time at least) secular PS2. :(

In perspective, that was a fairly decent exchange. I knew a guy who sold his Dreamcast to buy a printer. A fucking printer, can you imagine that? Now if he at least sold it to me, I would be okay with that. Of course that wasn't the case either, he just sold it off to some people who likely didn't at all care about video games. And you know what he did the next day after he did that evil thing? He printed.

jediyoshi

If I understand correctly this won't really be an issue in the future. As time goes on the rubbish tags will be pushed down.

Adding tags is something that can be done so easily and passively though, it seems deadly easy for people to organize and brute force something through. At least with the reviews system it's limited to a lengthier submit process and requires ownership of the game to contribute.

Knurek

Adding tags is something that can be done so easily and passively though, it seems deadly easy for people to organize and brute force something through. At least with the reviews system it's limited to a lengthier submit process and requires ownership of the game to contribute.

Yeah, this is bound to be a fuckup of even greater proportions than Greenlight was.

nexen

The larger the user base the more coordination it will take to pull this off.

Some larger internet forums could mess with it, like 4chan or reddit. Also it will probably suffer from zeitgeist. If a game or dev gets some bad press they are likely to get their games tagged badly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just went ahead and tagged every game I've ever played on Steam.

Noticed someone tagged World of Goo with World of Poop. Also noticed "feels" as one of the top tags for To The Moon. I hope the system effectively weeds this stuff out and pushes people into standardized tags (Bad; Emotional) for those kinds of descriptors. Edit: "Gone Home" is tagged "Gone Homo" :/

Knurek

Noticed someone tagged World of Goo with World of Poop. Also noticed "feels" as one of the top tags for To The Moon. I hope the system effectively weeds this stuff out and pushes people into standardized tags (Bad; Emotional) for those kinds of descriptors.

And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell somewhere around here.

One of my recommended tags is "Dress Up."

Also there are no games tagged "Dress Up."

Huh?

also where are my dress-up games

also where is my Mr. Dressup shooter game

There needs to be a SteamGAF Approved tag and it needs to be on Bad Rats.

---

In all seriousness though, I think it'd be useful to tag games with 3rd party DRM, such as Uplay or GFWL.

Annubis

Noticed someone tagged World of Goo with World of Poop. Also noticed "feels" as one of the top tags for To The Moon. I hope the system effectively weeds this stuff out and pushes people into standardized tags (Bad; Emotional) for those kinds of descriptors. Edit: "Gone Home" is tagged "Gone Homo" :/

It's not so bad given that the popular / visible tags are:
  • Adventure
  • Indie
  • Exploration
  • Story Rich
Just don't press the "+" I guess.

I had but not anymore as, back then, my 18 or something years old me was dumb as fuck and traded a godly DC and every game I had for a disappointing (at the time at least) secular PS2. :(

Also, is NullDC the current standard for DC emulation? I'm kinda eager of re-play both Shenmues, as I re-bought them recently! ^^

EDIT: now that I think of it, I also have a Dreamcast, so why bother emulating? :D
(or are the graphics improvements worth it?)

Yeah, Nulldc seems to be the best option for a Dreamcast emu still, even though it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Everything i throw at it runs fine, 60 fps and rendering at 1080p. It also has widescreen hacks, which while they make most games look glitchy are still kinda neat.

Nzyme32

guys, it is going to be really noisy in tagland until more people are using the system.

I'd predict a month or two before it can then be tuned up a bit. I do worry about spoilers becoming tags for a short time. They might be better off with a system for reporting that kind of thing

inm8num2

The impressive thing about Steam's approach is that by giving the community the opportunities to shape how content is organized, people do take a certain ownership and responsibility. When people care about a platform, collectively they're going to make it better.

There will be some silly or stupid tagging, but others will weed such instances out eventually.

nexen

Stop tagging things "Not Half-Life 3" *shakes head*

Well at least it is accurate.

edit: I couldn't care less what the community thinks a game should be tagged as. I want to be able to tag the games in my library and sort and filter by logical combinations of tags.

I'd predict a month or two before it can then be tuned up a bit. I do worry about spoilers becoming tags for a short time. They might be better off with a system for reporting that kind of thing

Or even just a basic rating system.

Edit: That actually might lead to more trolling opportunities.

rtcn63

People will probably be adding Game of Thrones book spoilers as tags. I can't even watch an MMA stream without someone doing it in the chat box.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
People tagging things as "Not a Game" just disappoint me. I get not liking a game, I understand style of play not being for someone, but just outright dismissing something because it's not EXACTLY what they want from other games is just rubbish.

For something that is a game, I thank corrosivefrost for No Time To Explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom