• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hn2LjK7.png

guess i've been playing too much Rising?

No such thing.

People tagging things as "Not a Game" just disappoint me. I get not liking a game, I understand style of play not being for someone, but just outright dismissing something because it's not EXACTLY what they want from other games is just rubbish.

Could it be a reference to Allen Iverson?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did you get/play the DLC? To be honest trying that was the major reason I picked up the game (sorry if answered, long thread)

Didn't buy it yet. Considering buying it. Going back and forth. I will say that mechanically, I don't see any way that the game would support harder hordes. It's very frustrating how it deals with multiple enemies. And the weapons you get in the DLC take up inventory spaces, which are already so limited that you can't carry more than a few weapons to begin with so presumably you'd throw almost all the DLC weapons away pretty near immediately.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well at least it is accurate.

edit: I couldn't care less what the community thinks a game should be tagged as. I want to be able to tag the games in my library and sort and filter by logical combinations of tags.

I'd like to be able to filter my library by genre so I can ascertain how many F2P games I have.

Didn't buy it yet. Considering buying it. Going back and forth. I will say that mechanically, I don't see any way that the game would support harder hordes. It's very frustrating how it deals with multiple enemies. And the weapons you get in the DLC take up inventory spaces, which are already so limited that you can't carry more than a few weapons to begin with so presumably you'd throw almost all the DLC weapons away pretty near immediately.

Sounds like something interesting to try out. Thanks for the detailed impressions.

rtcn63

On a serious note, I'd prefer if folks just used objective tags instead of their opinions. I.e. "JRPG" and not "Addictive".

Uraizen

Banned
On a serious note, I'd prefer if folks just used objective tags instead of their opinions. I.e. "JRPG" and not "Addictive".

Agreed.

So far I've been using Character Action game, Shmup, Fighting, 2D Fighter, etc. Opinions shouldn't be tags, my goodness.

I'd like to be able to filter my library by genre so I can ascertain how many F2P games I have.

Yeah this is not really interesting and I definitely won't go in and rate games on the store, IF it doesn't even carry over to my library as a sortable option. Also I like the +is not HL3 tag :p.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
No such thing.

Could it be a reference to Allen Iverson?

Adventure games like Wolf Among Us, Jazzpunk, Gone Home, etc, as well as Visual Novels, titles like Papers, Please, SpaceChem, and more. Hell, even Pac-Man had it for a bit.

I don't know why I expected any different. Too much Pirates! and time spent in good communities like this made me forget.

Skyblue

Banned
People tagging things as "Not a Game" just disappoint me. I get not liking a game, I understand style of play not being for someone, but just outright dismissing something because it's not EXACTLY what they want from other games is just rubbish.

For something that is a game, I thank corrosivefrost for No Time To Explain.

Then how you do classify games like Gone home and the Stanley Parable? Non games are exactly what there are.

rtcn63

And be careful with buzzwords like "Metroidvania". I can understand wanting to play something that is similar to something else, but just from reading the forum, people go overboard. "Oh, your 2D character moves left AND right? Metroidvania".

I'm exaggerating, but the gist and all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
South Park behind the scenes video got me so hyped for the game.

Its really happening this time guys

Tellaerin

Of course mine turns out to be incredibly mundane.

tagsqtj6l.png

Edit: Oh wow.

Recent recommendations by friends See all

Stumpokapow recommends: The Walking Dead™: Survival Instinct. February 12th, 2014

Cheddahz recommends: Takedown: Red Sabre. February 8th, 2014

"Recommends"? Steam, you keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Tenrius

And be careful with buzzwords like "Metroidvania". I can understand wanting to play something that is similar to something else, but just from reading the forum, people go overboard. "Oh, your character moves left AND right? Metroidvania".

I predict tons of misplaced "roguelike" tags.

Aerocrane

If you guys are planning on buying Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+, you might want to pass on it if you have the console version already.

The biggest thing that makes me think this was based on a mobile version is the assets, the game looks blurry at 1920x1200 with black bars at top and bottom of the screen.
http://i.minus.com/im83nI2Hvayr6.png
http://i.minus.com/iHh6xqaCJo493.png

In the second screenshot you can see at the top next to the high score a pause button that is clickable, and at the bottom a gear which opens a settings screen when clicked.
In that menu there is an option labelled "Display Controller". It reduces the size of the screen to show virtual directional buttons and a bomb button for those who play the game by using mouse or touch.
http://i.minus.com/iImpvmkiNz5OF.png
http://i2.minus.com/ipRFUe3Wh0wEb.png

In the control settings there is an option labelled touch/mouse operation which uses this display setting. Even the main menu looks somewhat like it was designed for touch. I wouldn't be too surprised if this version of the game appeared on the Windows 8 App Store with some sort of XBL integration for achievements.
http://i.minus.com/i85XxsTRgoRQK.png
http://i.minus.com/iNhB2e0bk3yfo.png

The black bars are present in all of my screenshots because in game there is no resolution option, only a toggle for fullscreen.
The Windows 8 app store has had Pac-Man DX for a while now (and it was updated to DX+ the day the Steam version came out), the assets in that release are identical (exactly the same images) to the assets in the Steam release (I checked).

It looks as though they simply copied over the Windows 8 app version and put it on Steam.

Caerith

For something that is a game, I thank corrosivefrost for No Time To Explain.
If I was using the "Not A Game" tag, the only game I would use it on would be The 39 Steps, because it really isn't a game.

Agreed.

So far I've been using Character Action game, Shmup, Fighting, 2D Fighter, etc. Opinions shouldn't be tags, my goodness.

Mine are: Visual Novel, Overpriced Port of a Mobile Game, Tower Defense, Hardcore Restaurant Sim, and Puzzle (for the Hitman games).

Maybe "overpriced" is an opinion, but meh.

Nzyme32

The impressive thing about Steam's approach is that by giving the community the opportunities to shape how content is organized, people do take a certain ownership and responsibility. When people care about a platform, collectively they're going to make it better.

There will be some silly or stupid tagging, but others will weed such instances out eventually.

I hope so. The steam dev days talks indicate a similar thing for the first 60 days of the steam reviews system going up. The good jokes stay but it's mostly strong meaningful reviews being voted up

rtcn63

If I was using the "Not A Game" tag, the only game I would use it on would be The 39 Steps, because it really isn't a game.

Mine are: Visual Novel, Overpriced Port of a Mobile Game, Tower Defense, Hardcore Restaurant Sim, and Puzzle (for the Hitman games).

Maybe "overpriced" is an opinion, but meh.

But aren't most/all mobile game ports overpriced? Kidding.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone knows the 25% code for south park at GMG?

Caerith

But aren't most/all mobile game ports overpriced? Kidding.
Yeah but counter-examples:

Super Hexagon is priced fairly.
There have been a few others where the devs did the work, stripped out all the microtransaction crap, etc, etc, but not enough that I can think of any examples beside this.

Also, that reminds me:

I predict tons of misplaced "roguelike" tags.
I can't believe nobody tagged Super Hexagon as a roguelike yet.

Annubis

What are your opinions of hate plus? I was thinking of getting it but I'm not sure if I've ever tried anything like it

I was disappointed =/
It's not a bad 'game' but it just doesn't live up to its predecessor.

My biggest gripe is that the story feels so dissociated from any of the characters that it just becomes a big "whatever..." as opposed to Analog were you felt at the heart of the story.

Also, some minor things:
- no ending list in menu
- a lot more illusion of choice
- without cheating, you can only play one game day per 24 real time hour (I changed my windows clock because no effin' way am I waiting)

Still, overall, I'm satisfied with it. It just feels like it could have been a lot more.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Then how you do classify games like Gone home and the Stanley Parable? Non games are exactly what there are.

Are they less active and less skill, challenge, or luck based as Devil May Cry 3 or Super Hexagon or Spelunky? Of course, but I still have rules to play by, a challenge/a goal to achieve, and enjoyment that can be gained from it which is the very nature of what a game is.
I call them Story games, experience games, immersive games, atmospheric games, but no matter what adjective I use, I call them games.
Edit: First Person Adventure also works for Gone Home, as you are putting together a puzzle as a goal and that's what the entire genre is about.

The whole "not a real game" is almost always just a bad dismissive argument of saying, oh that's not a real game, it's a fake game, it's stupid and dumb and you shouldn't waste your time with it when you can play A REAL game. Non-game is specifically a branding title to target consumers who look down upon games as saying "it's okay, it's not a childish thing, it's fine for you to play this".
You want to know what isn't a real game? You Need A Budget. Why? It's not designed for entertainment, it's not designed for off-time relaxation, it's not designed for a goal or challenge to achieve a sense of fun from; It's software designed for work purposes.

Now I understand the reasoning some prefer using "non-games", either branding or their own categorising and I can accept that even if I personal disagree. My problem lies in those who are utterly dismissive and insulting toward something because they don't like it or they want to look down upon it. I don't like Grand Theft Auto IV at all, the only use I could get from it would be listening to the radio in game, but it's neither fair nor reasonable for me to say "it's not a real game" because of that.

From the C:LOS2 demo thread...
In clearest terms I cannot comment on the status of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate on PC.

/PRmodeOFF

So Dave Cox Tweeted a picture of MoF HD running on a laptop around the time that MoF HD was getting released on PS3/360 last year. Take that as you will. I have no official news about the title on that platform, but you can guess there is something potentially going on. (Not the way I would have announced the title... But...)

From my perspective, I can't tell you that something is happening, just in case of the event that it doesn't happen. I can't tell you something isn't happening, just in case of the event that it is happening. Everything available right now can only be taken at face value.

Arthea

So, Trails in the Sky. When?
As we already know it was delayed, it's safe to assume we won't get it this winter, spring being optimistic choice then, summer - realistic and autumn - pessimistic. In last case, we won't see the second game until 2015.
I still hope it's spring and then we will be getting the second game next winter.

Nzyme32

I was disappointed =/
It's not a bad 'game' but it just doesn't live up to its predecessor.

My biggest gripe is that the story feels so dissociated from any of the characters that it just becomes a big "whatever..." as opposed to Analog were you felt at the heart of the story.

Also, some minor things:
- no ending list in menu
- a lot more illusion of choice
- without cheating, you can only play one game day per 24 real time hour (I changed my windows clock because no effin' way am I waiting)

Still, overall, I'm satisfied with it. It just feels like it could have been a lot more.

Oh! Analog was the one I was referring to. Shame about the sequel but I guess that means the original wasn't to bad?

Arthea

Oh, we got tagging.
The most annoying thing about steam until now was totally inadequate genres of games on steam. I mean gog can do this right, shinyloot can do even better, even desura sometimes can, but steam just can't.
Let's hope tags will fix it somewhat.

You haven't actually clicked on the little + for anything yet, have you?
Innocence, so precious.

you are trying to scare me?!
not yet, no

Turfster

Oh, we got tagging.
The most annoying thing about steam until now was totally inadequate genres of games on steam. I mean gog can do this right, shinyloot can do even better, even desura sometimes can, but steam just can't.

You haven't actually clicked on the little + for anything yet, have you?
Innocence, so precious.

Tenrius

Are they less active and less skill, challenge, or luck based as Devil May Cry 3 or Super Hexagon or Spelunky? Of course, but I still have rules to play by, a challenge/a goal to achieve, and enjoyment that can be gained from it which is the very nature of what a game is.
I call them Story games, experience games, immersive games, atmospheric games, but no matter what adjective I use, I call them games.
Edit: First Person Adventure also works for Gone Home, as you are putting together a puzzle as a goal and that's what the entire genre is about.

The whole "not a real game" is almost always just a bad dismissive argument of saying, oh that's not a real game, it's a fake game, it's stupid and dumb and you shouldn't waste your time with it when you can play A REAL game. Non-game is specifically a branding title to target consumers who look down upon games as saying "it's okay, it's not a childish thing, it's fine for you to play this".
You want to know what isn't a real game? You Need A Budget. Why? It's not designed for entertainment, it's not designed for off-time relaxation, it's not designed for a goal or challenge to achieve a sense of fun from; It's software designed for work purposes.

Now I understand the reasoning some prefer using "non-games", either branding or their own categorising and I can accept that even if I personal disagree. My problem lies in those who are utterly dismissive and insulting toward something because they don't like it or they want to look down upon it. I don't like Grand Theft Auto IV at all, the only use I could get from it would be listening to the radio in game, but it's neither fair nor reasonable for me to say "it's not a real game" because of that.

I agree wholeheartedly, my good sir. The definition of a game most of those people are using seems to be "action-adventure games and some of those belonging to some other genres, but very narrowly".

Caerith

Oh, we got tagging.

I'd still contend that we need better genres, but this is at least a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom