• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Oh! Analog was the one I was referring to. Shame about the sequel but I guess that means the original wasn't to bad?

The original is great. It's a very passive visual novel (-ish).
Very worthy experience (and if you don't have either, get the Analog + Hate pack)

---

Went to the DE:HR page, saw the "I never asked for this" tag, left satisfied.

Trying out the tags. Recommended for you: RPG

Well ok, I love RPG games, so let us see what this tag has to offer. Click on Top Sellers:

Rust, Risk of Rain, 7 Days to Die, Starbound, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Payday 2, Hegemony

Not exactly what I'd class as RPG.

Having a tag for "fighting" sounds good... but then you get Megabyte punch and Sleeping dogs.

Tenrius

Well ok, I love RPG games, so let us see what this tag has to offer. Click on Top Sellers:

Rust, Risk of Rain, 7 Days to Die, Starbound, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Payday 2, Hegemony

Having a tag for "fighting" sounds good... but then you get Megabyte punch and Sleeping dogs.

They also have Dead Man's Draw listed under "strategy".

Arthea

That's depressing
it's not gonna work, is it? meaningful tags, I mean.

I clicked recommended, so apparently The Banner saga is strategy and Neverwinter is JRPG :(

They also have Dead Man's Draw listed under "strategy".

I guess what it comes down to is that tags are a good idea...it is just that the general steam community should not be permitted to ever use them.... or I guess vote on deals or post on the steam forums.

I'm not sure what I expected.

Annubis

I guess what it comes down to is that tags are a good idea...it is just that the general steam community should not be permitted to ever use them.... or I guess vote on deals or post on the steam forums.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Dust has the furry and yiff tags

itEXfBo.png

GOTY
Masterpiece

There's already a GFWL and Games for Windows Live tag for those that want to help get that as a popular tag.

Antyhing that has been marked with RPG, Adventure, Action, Strategy, Massively Multiplayer, Casual, Indie and a few others are Valve created tags that existed prior to the tag system. These are what developers labeled their titles originally.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

When I introduced this feature (almost a year ago) into Enhanced Steam for DLC, I immediately came up with similar results to what is happening now.

Unfortunately the only way I had to get around this was to a) limit the tags that were available and b) moderate the process.

That was the only way I could come up with to make tags both meaningful and relevant to the content.

When I introduced this feature (almost a year ago) into Enhanced Steam for DLC, I immediately came up with similar results to what is happening now.

Unfortunately the only way I had to get around this was to a) limit the tags that were available and b) moderate the process.

That was the only way I could come up with to make tags both meaningful and relevant to the content.

I think they are already doing something similar, the not hl 3 tag is already seemingly deleted.

VoidZero

Banned
Steam tags is nice and all, but personally I would prefer library tagging or something like subcategorization. And some more sorting options inside the steam client itself.

If they limit the amount of tags available then the feature is pointless. They might as well tag the games themselves at that point.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just went ahead and tagged every game I've ever played on Steam.

Noticed someone tagged World of Goo with World of Poop. Also noticed "feels" as one of the top tags for To The Moon. I hope the system effectively weeds this stuff out and pushes people into standardized tags (Bad; Emotional) for those kinds of descriptors. Edit: "Gone Home" is tagged "Gone Homo" :/
I am ashamed to admit it, and I know it's completely wrong, but I couldn't help laughing. Like, pretty hard. And every time I read that I laugh again. Something's definitely wrong with me.

I am a fucking piece of shit, I'm sorry :(

Nzyme32

The original is great. It's a very passive visual novel (-ish).
Very worthy experience (and if you don't have either, get the Analog + Hate pack)

---

Went to the DE:HR page, saw the "I never asked for this" tag, left satisfied.

Great thanks for the help. Also yes, huge deus ex fan. The original has a nice range of "why contain it" "a bomb" "i never asked for this" and personal favourite "electric old men"

Tenrius

I wish it was possible to just automatically tag games with their corresponding categories' name. It would make a lot of sense, at least in my case:

categoriesuwrpa.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Items bought
South Park: The Stick of Truth - PC 30.00 €
Savings: -9.99 €
Credit used: -0.50 €
Total 29.50 €

Yes-Signs-Held-By-Fans.gif

Garcia

According to Enhanced Steam this is the lowest "PAC-MAN DX+ All you can eat edition" has ever been. Seems fair at $7.49

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Antyhing that has been marked with RPG, Adventure, Action, Strategy, Massively Multiplayer, Casual, Indie and a few others are Valve created tags that existed prior to the tag system. These are what developers labeled their titles originally.

Hopefully those will be wiped long-term. Casual and Action are especially shitty.

Tenrius

I am ashamed to admit it, and I know it's completely wrong, but I couldn't help laughing. Like, pretty hard. And every time I read that I laugh again. Something's definitely wrong with me.

I don't think there is anything inappropriate with that name per se, it just definitely should not be used as a tag, for the very least because it's a spoiler. Why do you think something should be wrong with you? Do you think it's homophobic? I really don't see anything homophobic about it, it's just a silly pun.

That reminds me, by the way, that there is a video with the same name. I have no idea what they wanted to say with it and if it's supposed to be negative commentary on the original game I don't agree with it, but it's pretty funny as a parody. A pretty accurate depiction of what happens in that game plotwise, sans all the characterization and period (no pun intended) stuff, of course.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If they limit the amount of tags available then the feature is pointless. They might as well tag the games themselves at that point.

I disagree. If they want a lot of diversity they could have choose 1,000 or even 10,000 tags that are available (which have been curated/moderated) rather than letting people type in their own.

It prevents things like "nanomachines, son" from being a tag.

Make relevant tags - then make a process whereas people can request new ones.

Arthea

It really should be an option to remove some tags, I checked Dear Eshter... really that's like a book there... of tags... that contradict one another...
If it even seems funny now, it will annoy in the long run.

The all blue theme should be coming to Steam sooner than later. I think that's what they are going to switch to prior to the official launching of SteamOS and Steam Machines.

radMonkey

Thanks but I think I'll pass as I remember playing a demo, or was it a free weekend? Wasn't impressed to say the least. ;)

Not that I know of but I use GMG once in a blue moon these days and can't really be bothered doing time limited achievements for a few cents. Even though.... can't you just use SAM?

Sorry, bit late on picking this one up. If we detect anyone using SAM we ban their account/blacklist and report to Steam. It can also affect your ability to earn credit or discounts with GMG. So it's not really worth it - but then again I would say that.

PF Rewards might not be for everyone, so naturally we're trying to build cool features for our community, but we think it's got a lot of potential. Just working out the kinks of the beta and finding more ways to introduce variety - particularly when it comes to rewards for new releases. I'll be doing a blog post that goes into in more depth later this week, but feel free to leave me any questions here and I'll do my best to answer them.

VoidZero

Banned
It really should be an option to remove some tags, I checked Dear Eshter... really that's like a book there... of tags... that contradict one another...
If it even seems funny now, it will annoy in the long run.
I agree, some tags are false. For example Brothers has Online Co-Op which is a lie
and boylove

The-Bean

jshackles, is this possible for Enhanced Steam? Add a link to the store page for each game under Recent Game Activity on users profiles. Perhaps a simple "View in store" link here.

It would just save a click. Clicking on the picture/game name takes you to the hub.

Caerith

you know, people don't make such mistakes without reasons, we do need better genres! Now I see it! the light in the end of the tunnel.
When it comes to gaming, the only genre that's been clearly defined is the roguelike-- it just has the most idiotic/pedantic definition possible. Everything else, we just get debates on: this isn't adventure, yes it is, no that is point and click, what if i point my gun and click does that make quake an adventure game, etc.

Could always have a bunch of people settle upon genres and genre definitions, set up a wiki with those definitions and categories of games according to them, have a list of all steamapp_ids tied to their new "correct" genre, and then have Enhanced Steam poll that list in lieu of tags?

Nah, the "fucking piece of shit" tag refers to games like Infestation Z.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Procedural Death Labyrinth is a really nice tag, descriptive and informative.

It really is great. The only reason I haven't used it since I read an article proposing it is because it's fun to see people lose their shit over what is and isn't a roguelike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom