• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, is this possible for Enhanced Steam? Add a link to the store page for each game under Recent Game Activity on users profiles. Perhaps a simple "View in store" link here.

It would just save a click. Clicking on the picture/game name takes you to the hub.

Yes, very possible. I'll look into it.

Could always have a bunch of people settle upon genres and genre definitions, set up a wiki with those definitions and categories of games according to them, have a list of all steamapp_ids tied to their new "correct" genre, and then have Enhanced Steam poll that list in lieu of tags?

It's also possible, but I feel like displaying the tags themselves on the store pages isn't really the issue. They've integrated it deeply with their search and with tag browsing / etc. Changing this overall feature or it's intent using Enhanced Steam would be a massive amount of work.

I'm debating on whether or not to remove the existing Enhanced Steam feature that shows DLC "tags".

First thing I checked when I heard about tags. Not surprised this was going to be the result.
1vK9sSg.png

I disagree. If they want a lot of diversity they could have choose 1,000 or even 10,000 tags that are available (which have been curated/moderated) rather than letting people type in their own.

It prevents things like "nanomachines, son" from being a tag.

Make relevant tags - then make a process whereas people can request new ones.

There would still be a lot of potential for abuse even with a restricted list. I also really doubt Valve would allow something like "Pay to Unlock" into their list.

I know the feature is still in beta phase, but I doubt Valve's going to make any serious changes with respect to moderation.

Nzyme32

So a new Steampunk groupees is in the works.
Are there even that many games that can be classified as "steampunk"?

That's a good point. It would be good to have a kind of stats page where you could see whats popular and what is "most requested". I imagine steampunk would actually be quite high up on the list of most requested

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So a new Steampunk groupees is in the works.
Are there even that many games that can be classified as "steampunk"?

Steamworld Dig...err I would say Guns of Icarus but thats about to be a bonus in the current bundle. Hmm Vessel? that looks steampunk-ish in pictures

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The only people on my friends list who have played Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition are Xelios, JaseC (who I'm guessing was card farming), and SteveWinwood. :/ Fine, I'll take one for the team *installs*

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Tags like Crap and "functioning toilet" make me wonder if developers and publishers are going to lash back at Valve over this feature.

Arthea

You better confess, who made tag "not mvc3", I'm pretty sure it's steamgafer.
And why nascar is nanomachines, son, again? (><)

Tags like Crap and "functioning toilet" make me wonder if developers and publishers are going to lash back at Valve over this feature.

I'm more concerned about tags that spoil the game, if there is no option to remove them, some people won't be happy, being spoiled before even buying a game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Functioning toilet is valuable information. If you've got toilets in the game and they don't flush, I don't want any part of what you're selling.

I think the first step is to (wipe every tag that's already been added and then) keep all tags hidden until they hit a certain percentage of people who own the game that give it that label. Otherwise you're just going to get people adding to the votes for a laugh.

Nzyme32

The entire client? How you know?

I don't think it's "official" but it seems like a pretty natural move when you consider all the blue being added to the mobile apps, bpm, and other individual sections of steam's web page (although not quite the client yet)

All these different features and they still don't touch the game library which needs the most attention.

That almost seems like they are waiting for something. It's a long demanded request ahead of tags, thats for sure

The platforming is a bit annoying, like I wanted to drop lower with the grapple but you just fall to your death if you go too low, the rest are still kind of braindead tbh.

I didn't know you could hit the puddles =o I just avoided them the entire fight, that explains it.

Just beat the bat wolf boss with the hammer and he went down much quicker, it was fun!

Things start really picking up now. The chapters are much shorter and you start getting good abilities left and right... well, it started with the gauntlet, but that's practically lumped in with chapter 3.

You better confess, who made tag "not mvc3", I'm pretty sure it's steamgafer.
And why nascar is nanomachines, son, again? (><)

I'm more concerned about tags that spoil the game, if there is no option to remove them, some people won't be happy, being spoiled before even buying a game.

When's Marvel?

Backlogger

How did this roll out without some kind of filter? Valve you used to be smarter than this.

Even though they launched the feature to everyone, they are calling it a Beta. I think that gives them wiggle room to remove or modify this feature if things don't improve over the next week or so.

I'm guessing they were expecting this.

How did this roll out without some kind of filter? Valve you used to be smarter than this.

Oh, it has a profanity filter. No 'Penis Brotherhood' tag for Rust. I think I like it better that way, no advanced warning for new people.

Jørdan

riq2ATT.png

Action, the genre you apply when you can't think of a better one.

Tags are neat although it'll be chaos for a while if left unmoderated, not sure how helpful they'll be in the long run. Checked Morrowind and noticed it had been tagged N'wah which made my day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know that I trust this thread to be any better at the tagging business than SPUF dudes.
As long as "character action" is still around, I don't trust anybody.

I hate that term. It makes so little sense it's not even funny. Jeez, I thought Metal Gear Rising was a chair action game, thanks for the clarification!

Caerith

I hate that term. It makes so little sense it's not even funny. Jeez, I thought Metal Gear Rising was a chair action game, thanks for the clarification!

Better than "point and click," the term that describes everything but Donkey Konga.

Uraizen

Banned
edited: I still wonder what's wrong with slasher or hack and slash, that nobody uses them anymore.

There's an implication behind Character Action game that differentiates it from Hack and Slash.

You're welcome.

Miguel81

So glad I got Castlevania LOS, as once you get the light/dark magic it gets damn good. Art design is breathtakingly fantastic--very European. It lacks the Japanese quirkiness, but I'm ok with with that, even though I loved Symphony of the Night(should be on Steam).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Better than "point and click," the term that describes everything but Donkey Konga.
I call it "point and click adventure", or "graphic adventure". I see nothing wrong with it, because there are text adventures too. I haven't heard of an action game not featuring characters. I'd rather they just be called "action", or "combo/combat oriented game".

Tellaerin

I call it "point and click adventure", or "graphic adventure". I see nothing wrong with it, because there are text adventures too. I haven't heard of an action game not featuring characters. I'd rather they just be called "action", or "combo/combat oriented game".

"Character action" has the same connotations as "Combo/Combat-Oriented Game" at this point, and it sounds less cumbersome. *shrug*

Caerith

I'd rather we did away with "action" and all forms of "adventure" in terms of describing stuff. Like, "point and click adventure" and "graphic adventure" both describe Doom, don't they? You point your gun at stuff (then click) while having an adventure (with graphics). As far as "action" goes, can't it all be broken down into "shootbang (first- or third-person)" or "brawler (2D or 3D)"?

rtcn63

I added "Self-Loathing Sim", "Alcoholism", and "Breaking Bad Hair" to Max Payne 3. I'm a hypocrite, and a fairly uncreative one at that. Should add "Hamster on a wheel"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom