• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

How did this roll out without some kind of filter? Valve you used to be smarter than this.

Oh, it has a profanity filter. No 'Penis Brotherhood' tag for Rust. I think I like it better that way, no advanced warning for new people.

Because you need enough data to determine what is meaningful and what is not. For example the term "gay" could actually be a genuine tag but is quite likely to be used in a derogatory manner. So you need to collect enough data to the determine how to filter and weight certain terms. There will no doubt also be a number of terms/swears that go under the radar, notable a bunch of racial slurs and English phonetic translations of foreign swears i'd guess

Ultimately, the most meaningful system will be one where the community is able to express itself in a way that is as unrestricted as possible, thats gonna need a fair amount of data collection to begin with much like when last.fm started tagging

Arthea

Before going to sleep, I want to ask something.
Could you kindly tag all games that use QTE, especially excessively, with QTE that I can avoid them?
Also we need "too much scripted events, not enough gameplay" tag, which I haven't thought of yet, but I will.

"Character action" has the same connotations as "Combo/Combat-Oriented Game" at this point, and it sounds less cumbersome. *shrug*

I actually would like both tags, but there is a problem with it, it describes fighting games even better

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Character action" has the same connotations as "Combo/Combat-Oriented Game" at this point, and it sounds less cumbersome. *shrug*
It sounds worse than listening to Ummagumma in reverse at 1/4 speed. And I'm being serious.

I'd rather we did away with "action" and all forms of "adventure" in terms of describing stuff. Like, "point and click adventure" and "graphic adventure" both describe Doom, don't they? You point your gun at stuff (then click) while having an adventure (with graphics). As far as "action" goes, can't it all be broken down into "shootbang (first- or third-person)" or "brawler (2D or 3D)"?
They describe Doom if you stretch it that way, but it's used for games that don't feature combat (or have a very light amount of it). "Character action" doesn't mean anything at all: what makes it different than a non-character action game?

I agree with the last sentence of your post. FPS, TPS and brawler (beat 'em up, hack and slash) sound like better descriptions. Though I wouldn't classify Mirror's Edge as an FPS, even though it contains weapons.

I call it "point and click adventure", or "graphic adventure". I see nothing wrong with it, because there are text adventures too. I haven't heard of an action game not featuring characters. I'd rather they just be called "action", or "combo/combat oriented game".
If you see the purpose in making a distinction between certain types of games, then it shouldn't matter beyond personal preference whether the names themselves

"Graphic adventure" could technically refer to a game where the art-style appears hand-drawn, even if doesn't consist of a series of still like a visual novel. However, it's been used to describe certain types of games, and has become accepted even though people could have whined about it and tried to get it changed to something else. To someone unfamiliar with the term, they might not know what to expect. Once they learn what the term refers to, then they'll know what games it's used to describe, which is the point of the distinction.

Character action games refer to skill-friendly games like Devil May Cry where you run around in open areas and use stylish combos to beat enemies. Whether "character action" actually makes sense or whether you like it is inconsequential so long as you understand what it's used for.

Heck, if it really matters to you, you could say the action is "character specific" in that intricacies and skills are unique to the player character. It' snot like a TPS where your basic attacks are the same as any other TPS.

Some people say Mass Effect isn't an RPG game, so yes, we totally should.

It's not the main focus, but I think it is.

Mass effect 1 is certainly a RPG (albeit a broken one). 2 is pushing it and 3...nope.

Meanwhile, inspired by Stumps thoughts on the Walking Dead, I decided to try playing the DLC herd mode. Just why this was made DLC and wasn't part of the regular-

Yeah right, activision....

Anyway I think I can sum it up very simply:

horde-modewtquq.gif

You then restock your ammo and... repeat.

Jazzpunk was a real good time. I am not super familiar with the Adult Swim brand but it feels like something they'd put out. Manages to be make funny references without feeling insular.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jazzpunk was a real good time. I am not super familiar with the Adult Swim brand but it feels like something they'd put out. Manages to be make funny references without feeling insular.

Adult Swim games aren't really Adult Swim TV-related at all. Up until now they've been great small games with fast action and not comedy based. I think they've got 4 or 5 releases now, I've played 3 and they are all great.

mannerbot

Adult Swim games aren't really Adult Swim TV-related at all. Up until now they've been great small games with fast action and not comedy based. I think they've got 4 or 5 releases now, I've played 3 and they are all great.

With Volgarr being the best by far, of course.

Caerith

Because you need enough data to determine what is meaningful and what is not. For example the term "gay" could actually be a genuine tag but is quite likely to be used in a derogatory manner. So you need to collect enough data to the determine how to filter and weight certain terms. There will no doubt also be a number of terms/swears that go under the radar, notable a bunch of racial slurs and English phonetic translations of foreign swears i'd guess

Ultimately, the most meaningful system will be one where the community is able to express itself in a way that is as unrestricted as possible, thats gonna need a fair amount of data collection to begin with much like when last.fm started tagging
How could "gay" be used as a genuine tag? Serious question. I've seen "LGBT Friendly" used as a tag and that's probably a better descriptor than "gay," "lesbians," "yuri," or "hella yuri," for instance.

It sounds worse than listening to Ummagumma in reverse at 1/4 speed. And I'm being serious.
I hear if you listen to Meddle while playing Assassin's Creed IV, it totally matches up (and then loses your save).

They describe Doom if you stretch it that way, but it's used for games that don't feature combat (or have a very light amount of it). "Character action" doesn't mean anything at all: what makes it different than a non-character action game?

I agree with the last sentence of your post. FPS, TPS and brawler (beat 'em up, hack and slash) sound like better descriptions. Though I wouldn't classify Mirror's Edge as an FPS, even though it contains weapons.
The "adventure game" genre originates with the text game called (Colossal Cave) Advent(ure), right? Maybe we should have called Zork an Adventure-like, and Monkey Island a "graphical Adventure-like," and then we wouldn't have any confusion when other games are described as "adventure" due to having the more traditional elements of adventure, like excitement and grave peril and other things a Jedi craves not.

I filed Mirror's Edge under "First-Person Atmospheric" along with Bioshock and Metro 2033. It may be in first person and it may have shooting, but I don't think the shootbang is the point.

StAidan

I have to admit, it knows me well.

onlbKqB.png

This is a nice feature and all, I certainly hope the signal to noise ratio gets better over time though. Maybe a new Enhanced Steam feature could let us hide tags that we don't want to see :)

Copons

In perspective, that was a fairly decent exchange. I knew a guy who sold his Dreamcast to buy a printer. A fucking printer, can you imagine that? Now if he at least sold it to me, I would be okay with that. Of course that wasn't the case either, he just sold it off to some people who likely didn't at all care about video games. And you know what he did the next day after he did that evil thing? He printed.

Well, it became decent in the long run. But when I did it, I traded one of my favorite consoles ever with lots of my favorite games ever for a PS2 with Dark Cloud.
Point is that in the next couple of years DC became quite rare to find in Italy, so I had to wait almost a decade to finally find a decently priced one... in Tokyo!

Funny thing was that, before, to get the DC I traded away my PC, justifying it to my parents with stuff like "but it has internet too!!". :D

Yeah, Nulldc seems to be the best option for a Dreamcast emu still, even though it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Everything i throw at it runs fine, 60 fps and rendering at 1080p. It also has widescreen hacks, which while they make most games look glitchy are still kinda neat.

Yay thank you! As soon as I put an optical drive in my PC I'm gonna try it out. But in this way I wouldn't lose all the GD-Rom stuff that regular readers can't read?

To get back in topic: I was kinda interested in all this new tags thingy, but all in all, considering the motherfuckines of actual Steam Community, I'm now more worried by intentional spoilers than anything else...

Nzyme32

How could "gay" be used as a genuine tag? Serious question. I've seen "LGBT Friendly" used as a tag and that's probably a better descriptor than "gay," "lesbians," "yuri," or "hella yuri," for instance.

Apologies for my ham fisted rant, it's a poor example. LGBT friendly would definitely be more appropriate. I was also going to reffer to words with dual meaning - gay as in the UK definition light hearted, care free, as opposed to derogatory meaning.

Apologies for my ham fisted rant, it's a poor example. LGBT friendly would definitely be more appropriate. I was also going to reffer to words with dual meaning - gay as in the UK definition light hearted, care free, as opposed to derogatory meaning.

Well gay did only mean that until it was appropriated by the Gay Rights Movement and now its original meaning is pretty much lost to time. That's language for you though being organic and all.

My mother used to still use it in that way though. I remember her seeing a bright yellow wall and saying "Oh look at that. Isn't it gay?!" which elicited a chuckle and a look from me to which she replied "Oh, you know what I mean!" :).

She also said once when my father had had a nasty dose of influenza "Your father is so queer. I've never known him to be so queer!" :D

make it so.

Nah, I'm in an 'odd' mood today so I don't trust myself :/.

I just fired up the Skank demo. "Unlock the full game to add this achievement".

LOL how about no? Deletes demo and demo for Skank 2. Removes both games from wishlist.

I'm only half-way through, but Unearthed is the worst game I've played on Steam.

So it's the best bad game you've played on Steam? Better than Bad Rats or Colonial Marines? :eek: That's high praise indeed!

EDIT - well I would delete them from my wishlist but the Steam Community is currently unavailable. Gosh, I wonder why?

I'm only half-way through, but Unearthed is the worst game I've played on Steam.

Those are big words. I demand a video review now.

Happy Birthday! Celebrate with Bad Rats!

Or something that's actually enjoyable and not the Dan Hibiki of Steam games. xD

I thought about gifting Bad Rats, but I figured spreading terror upon the world isn't a very birthday-like thing to do.

I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't own it yet.

I thought about gifting Bad Rats, but I figured spreading terror upon the world isn't a very birthday-like thing to do.

I'm probably one of the few people here who doesn't own it yet.
I don't own it either, thankfully. I think the only game I own on Steam that I dislike is Zombie Shooter. I'm pretty selective with my money for the most part.

Not to mention that on a day like today, I think getting gifted Bad Rats would break me. xD

Zeliard

If Stump - great connoisseur of truly putrid gaming specimens - says a game is the worst thing he's experienced on a platform, that shit is bad.

syko de4d

Someone already tried this new f2p card game which released today as early access?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/257730/?snr=1_7_15__13

Played for around 45minutes and i must say it looks kind of interesting, have more fun with it than with Hearthstone. There is a real campaign, no idea how long it is but it doesnt look short. So you dont need to play against other people at the start.

edit: if someone creates an account he can use my invite code: 7C489 :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I made a 'made by gaffers' tag but there's not enough titles, boo

Some of us are working on that. Give us time. It took a while for iOS GAF to have enough titles as well.

I hear if you listen to Meddle while playing Assassin's Creed IV, it totally matches up (and then loses your save).

The "adventure game" genre originates with the text game called (Colossal Cave) Advent(ure), right? Maybe we should have called Zork an Adventure-like, and Monkey Island a "graphical Adventure-like," and then we wouldn't have any confusion when other games are described as "adventure" due to having the more traditional elements of adventure, like excitement and grave peril and other things a Jedi craves not.

I filed Mirror's Edge under "First-Person Atmospheric" along with Bioshock and Metro 2033. It may be in first person and it may have shooting, but I don't think the shootbang is the point.

Amazingly I've actually had this conversation before about gay. In genuine use and not related to LGBTi related titles. Hypothetical examples mind you.

A spiritual successor to Eternal Sonata about the composer Noel Gay.
A Spanish Football manager sim about lower leagues featuring the likeness of José Aurelio Gay.
A possible S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game set in a small Russian town a la Silent Hill.
A realistic game that features 1950-1970s Royal Navy vessels.

The only legitimate example that could be done now. If Dark Castle ever sees a release on Steam. Jonathan Gay is one of my heroes.

It's my birthday!

http://abload.de/img/tyriangiftmjzq.gif[/]

Today, I shall do nothing but eat, drink and play videogames. The Gods themselves have ordained it.[/QUOTE]

Hooray!

[quote="Stumpokapow, post: 100562009"]I'm only half-way through, but Unearthed is the worst game I've played on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Your suffering is the protection of the many of us who once had thoughts of getting the game. Minus the crazy people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom