• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Sounds more appealing than before, will keep a closer eye on it now. I really liked what the game was trying to do but the progression was very questionable.

Yeah. At the point I was at, I was limited to upgrading two structures at a time and some of my timers were >1 day. This seems a bit more bareable and now down to how just the ingame stuff works out.

LuffyZoro

6Tee2AE.png

Turfster

That's what I said and later on I did a Aliens CM marathon from start to finish.

...Then Turfster did it too!
Hey, I started my ACM playthrough before he even got the game.
It just took me about 7 months to force myself to finish that bag of crap before the new year like I promised the guy that gifted it to me I would =p

I started expecting the worst and it was not that bad as some people put it but as someone who is very fond of the first aliens movies (1979?) I wish it could be something closer to that universe.

It just took me about 7 months to force myself to finish that bag of crap before the new year like I promised the guy that gifted it to me I would =p
Sounds really bad.

The_Monk

What did you enjoyed the most, Aliens CM or X-Blades? ;)

By the way I'm curious for some impressions for Dead State since it will be released tomorrow.

You need to keep an eye on Alien Isolation Monk my good man. That goes straight for the the late 1970s Alien aesthetic :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Iha-5qR28

I have my eyes on that one my good man! I'm really hoping that game to be good, just worried about the length so far. :)

Turfster

What did you enjoyed the most, Aliens CM or X-Blades? ;)

Well, I actually finished ACM, so I guess... that?
Maybe if I hadn't played Blades of Time first, which was actually decent-ish, I might have slogged through X-Blades, but as I did, it was more of a "god this is so much worse it's not even funny" kind of thing.

Sounds really bad.

I'd gotten like... 2? missions in, and all I'd been doing was shooting other humans with my buddies that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so I put it aside... and then it was after Christmas and I ran out of days, so I mainlined the rest of it in an epic swear-fest, some of which was reproduced here in the sales thread =p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I have my eyes on that one my good man! I'm really hoping that game to be good, just worried about the length so far. :)

I hear ya, I think Aliens CM knocked everyones confidence in the brand a good bit but I like what Creative Assembly are doing and thankfully Sega seem to be giving them the freedom to do what they want. Time shall tell!

The_Monk

Got delayed another day I believe. I expect it to be pretty early.

Thanks todd. Well "OMG Zombies!" releases tomorrow so I'll be sure to post my impressions on the game as soon it releases.

I hear ya, I think Aliens CM knocked everyones confidence in the brand a good bit but I like what Creative Assembly are doing and thankfully Sega seem to be giving them the freedom to do what they want. Time shall tell!

I still remember when the Wii U was going to be the definitive version. I must say that sound from the radar is very nostalgic. ;)

A demo will be released tomorrow.

Hype! Thanks for such good news.

A demo will be released tomorrow.

Really? Sounds good.

Having said that I think I'm already sold on the game based on the videos and I doubt the demo will be constructed very differently.

As Monk said, the question is how much "game" have they been able to put together? And if it is a 10 hour game, how much of that is as per the demo and how much of Aliens CM did they sneak in? I doubt we'll know that before it is out.

$20 preorder at Nuuvem btw

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
All valid uses of the tag, but I think I'd prefer a Silent Hill-style game set in a small Austrian village.

Without even clicking on the link I already knew what it was. A Silent Hill game would never work there, everyone is so damn Austrian the worst fears are running out of ale and people stealing road signs.

Hmm... road sign stealing simulator.

mrgone

Weird, Klei's renamed Incognita to Invisible, Inc.

Also I just got a "squad leader" achievement while searching for Incognita/Invisible, Inc. in my library. That's a little weird too. (Apparently it's a Demolition, Inc. achievement?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hot damn dat new avatar... she actually looks pretty there

dont hurt me JaseC

I'll let you live. For now. :p

The only people on my friends list who have played Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition are Xelios, JaseC (who I'm guessing was card farming), and SteveWinwood. :/ Fine, I'll take one for the team *installs*

I was going to play it... but I changed my mind.

Need 'Not owned by JaseC' tag.

This is actually a good idea. Conceptually, I mean.

I'm going to assume this tag business will eventually follow the path of cards. Remember when cards started? It was a glorious cluster fuck. I imagine once the sample size gets a little better, the shittier/hilarious tags will get weeded out.

Except 'Dog'. 'Dog' stays.

I'm going to assume this tag business will eventually follow the path of cards. Remember when cards started? It was a glorious cluster fuck. I imagine once the sample size gets a little better, the shittier/hilarious tags will get weeded out.

Except 'Dog'. 'Dog' stays.
Bad Rat's 'GOTY' tag should stay as a testament to its amazingness.

Dryk

[Frothing Demand Intensifies even more]

Good... goooooooood. And I'm off that day... Fabulous, Treasure. *thumbs up*

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVEET IKARUGA
OH YES. I've been waiting for a chance to play Ikaruga for ages. Disappointed that I walked past the GC copy in the local import store for 6 months then decided to buy it the same month it sold.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Not the Robots -- MB-8B29B360F5A7E619 - Taken by jediyoshi
Bleed -- MB-19E6A514C89A4F64 - Taken by mannerbot

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have a hard time believing that. I had more fun with it than Duke nukem forever for example.

I liked DNF way better. DNF is a pretty functional game. It has polish. Things basically work, even if they're dull. It's way less frustrating. But I'll be honesty, I sort of take back what I said earlier. I said it right after the game crashed. I was not being positive enough. Unearthed doesn't end up being quite as bad as Exodus from the Earth or some of the other garbage I played.

It's pretty bad though. For those who don't know, Unearthed - The Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold Edition is basically an Uncharted clone developed by a Saudi Arabian developer to shine a light on the rich early Muslim history and the explorer Ibn Battuta, who the game tells me is a sort of North African Marco Polo. So that's a commendable goal, of course. I do think that's an interesting place and time for the world. Also, because Islam recognizes Djinn (like devil genies) as actual real-world things, I think you could do the typical Uncharted supernatural twist and have it basically be played as straight realism, so that would be neat. Episode 1, which lasts around 90 minutes or so, is intended to be a showcase for what the team can do.

I'll walk you through the chapters, but if you've played an Uncharted game you already know how it goes:
- Chapter 1: In Medias Res opening as Drake Faris is bleeding badly from a gunshot wound. Forced slow-walking tutorial teaches you how to use a gun. In the end you are disarmed and forced to fight fist-to-fist with a guy to learn the melee system. Your sister is being held by some rich Shiek type.
- Chapter 2: Flashback. There's a heavy-handed exposition dump. You explore a temple. There are puzzles, such as getting emblems from climbing around. You activate a fountain, open a gate, walk across a precarious wooden plank suspended over a pit. There's a weird section where your character needs to control an RC car for some reason and the game doesn't explain this. Then some bad dudes show up and you have to machine gun them and escape. During this chapter there are some treasures you can get by going off the beaten path. Pick them up and a 3d model of the treasure appears.
- Chapter 3: You have a fist fight with a big burly Saladin dude who rocket launchers your car. Your sister saves you on a quad and you play a shoot-while-the-AI-drives segment in the desert. This ends with you shooting down a helicopter.
- Chapter 4: A forced slow-walk through Tangiers, Algeria. Drake Faris makes wise cracks about what he sees, like how the shawarma looks tasty. Heavy-handed exposition dump tells you how great Ibn Battuta is and how Sinbad was inspired by him or something. More treasures.
- Chapter 5: You chase a guy on rooftops and then fight him hand to hand. There's treasure here too.
- Chapter 6: You drive the world's slowest car in a PS2-era open world city to escape from cops. After a few minutes of driving randomly (there's no map or compass), you are deemed to have escaped the cops, even if they're right next to you.
- End Credits

It's basically an Uncharted clone through and through and in that 90 minutes you get the impression they wrote down everything they think Uncharted does, and then they did it. That's fine by me. I don't mind that. I'm just saying you shouldn't expect anything original here.

Here's the problem: None of it works. Aiming is terrible with precision below 7-8 and unusable with precision at 10, auto-aim doesn't help at all unless you set it to give you instant headshots. Guns sound and feel terrible, like pea shooters. You can't pick up ammo so if you get low you just pick up another gun, for some reason, even if the gun is the same as the gun you have. I can't even tell you how bad the melee combat system is, it's total nonsense. You can punch and kick but both look bizarre (your punches connect with your enemy's shoulders, kicks are like a weird hip swivel). You get absolutely no feedback or evidence that you're doing the right thing, and then eventually there's a cutscene where your character awkwardly sort of pushes the enemy on the ground. Repeat a second time and you win the fist fight. Enemies simultaneously miss you when they're standing next to you and instantly kill you at points for no reason.

Forced slow-walking is terrible, the character's walking speed even during periods where you can free-walk is too low, you don't turn or corner well. Jumping is terrible. Climbing is stiff. Your character's walk animation is all hips, like he's awkward shuffling. The platforming is bad and frequently leads to accidental platforming deaths from pits or mis-steps. The driving segment feels awful, like you're a brick sliding on ice. Also the game crashed three times during cutscenes for me. There are clipping issues. Environments look like a PS2 game and for me at least there was a baffling sharpening filter in some segments. Effects don't quite work. Models are fairly good up-close, but the pre-rendered FMV used for cutscenes is low bit rate. This is a seven gigabyte 90 minute long game by the way. Edit: The load times are frequent too, there doesn't appear to be any streaming.

The wise cracks aren't funny--by the way there's a joke about Tomb Raider and Uncharted about 3 minutes into the game, spoiler alert. The English script (BTW the game supports like 20 languages so that's amazing) is clearly written by an ESL speaker because no one uses contractions properly and there are all sorts of idioms or turns of phrase mangled. Vocal delivery, by the English actors, is bored and disengaged as if they didn't have a voice director. The plot as it is so far is a combination of massive information dumps that I couldn't follow and sort of vague leaps from one thing to the next. I had to look up the main character's name after I finished it to write this.

I think the problem here is fairly obvious. It's a development team who has never worked on a project this size before biting off way more than they can chew. The thing about game development is that it's highly iterative. It's really difficult to just make something in a genre without understanding how things come together. It's difficult to make a PS3 level game without making a PS2 level game. People learn from their past experiences. Toolsets evolve. Just trying to enter the game at the top doesn't work. I feel like a more restricted game design scope--especially losing the shooting and iterating more on core movement--would make the game significantly more satisfying. I want to support developers from developing countries, just as with any creative medium. But I think as with other mediums, if you can't compete with the big money of Big American Megacorp, the best strategy is to make the most of the money you do have by coming up with interesting ideas, rather than trying to ape the big mindless hundred-million-dollar stuff poorly.

Finally, Garshasp is a million times better of a God of War game than this is an Uncharted game.

I got all the achievements because Zeliard told me I had to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Starting to tag all the CoD's after 4 with "This isn't CoD4..." *sunglasses*

you? That was funny, I admit

Wasn't me. When's Marvel seemed like the appropriate response to you asking though.

or action adventure that describes all games including Donkey Konga!

edited: I still wonder what's wrong with slasher or hack and slash, that nobody uses them anymore.

edit 2: MGR would be a chopping game, no?

lol

MGR:R is a cooking sim.

There's an implication behind Character Action game that differentiates it from Hack and Slash.

You're welcome.

Indeed there is.

Recommended tag: "Tetas" (boobs) :lol

WTF Steam.
NICE.

Steam knows what's up.

WaW was fine.

Hahaha, no it wasn't. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom