• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's the last groupees bonus, site crawls on my phone

In what ways? It was still good, i think the last good COD game. COD 4 might have been better but WaW had nice ideas too.

My tenure with COD ran from COD4 through MW2.
During that time, I learned that I agreed with the people who said that Treyarch was not a good developer. Did they get better when they did the Black Ops games? I don't know.

WaW is the only one of those 3 games that I did all of the achievements for twice. It's playable. It's probably not as bad as people make it out to be, but I wouldn't say there's nothing wrong with it or that it was better than MW2.

jediyoshi

Finally got into the music beta. Got my 360 noscope headshot jamz all set

naUquGl.png

Jame Retief

Neo Member
gonna make a screwdriver and play broken age and oh my god fuck this pixel

I read about your monitor issue earlier and was wondering, are you not able to simply return the monitor? Not because of the faulty pixel per se, but just general unhappiness with the product. Maybe a 10 - 15% restocking fee and then you could buy a new one from your preferred store?

I don't know about where you live, but where I live there is usually a minimum 15 day return policy on specific tech hardware and generally a 30 day policy. Not for defects, just general returns.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the diff between Interstellar Marines and Interstellar Marines Spearhead edition?

The Spearhead Edition also includes:

Join the Spearhead unit (unique honorary game profile) + Your username in the Hall of Honor and your name in the credits of the game + Digital download of the Interstellar Marines: The Beginning soundtrack and all future soundtracks + Digital download of art book when it’s ready + Get 1 extra Interstellar Marines Steam Key to gift to a friend.

Sober

I'd say Valve was expecting stupidity to reign supreme initially considering how quickly Greenlight was flooded with joke entries when it went live.
I was going to say 5$ fee, but I dunno, not with cards being so easy to sell.

I'm sure it'll even out for the most part though we do have the issue they are way too close to the top of the page rather than further down, like reviews/recommendations are.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It seems like Steam announces a new feature every other week.

Not to be outdone, here is a new Enhanced Steam feature I'm announcing....

Badge pages will show the average cost of completion, and if you have card drops remaining, will show the approximate worth of those cards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm amazed you keep finding shit to add

(picture of pretty girl clapping)

Next up - sorting options that will let you sort the badge page by cheapest badge to complete or sort by approximate value of card drops. Great for badge collectors, people looking to most cheaply level up their profile, or people looking to idle their most expensive cards first.

I'm also going to be using this data to tally a "total approximate value of all card drops".

Jørdan

btw here is a link to where valve looks at suggestions. Everyone should go let them know.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/10/828934089572067933/

Thanks for the link, I'll follow up on it later - too much to read through just now.

Sweet update, when you get the tap on the shoulder from Valve you gotta' promise me you'll do something about the client :)

oipic

Golly, what a poorly-conceived idea. I suspect jshack puts more thought and care into even the tiniest of Enhanced Steam details than Valve have with this tagging thing.

At the very least, it needs thresholds, i.e. tags should only be globally attached to titles when x number of people issue it that tag - would allow 'community tagging' to an extent, without the farce they have now.

At the very least, it needs thresholds, i.e. tags should only be globally attached to titles when x number of people issue it that tag - would allow 'community tagging' to an extent, without the farce they have now.

It is still a "beta" feature. What I expect they'll do is let it rock for a little while and then wipe out most of the tags. At this stage people would have had their fun.

jshackles

Jørdan;100590290 said:
Sweet update, when you get the tap on the shoulder from Valve you gotta' promise me you'll do something about the client :)

Will do. I'd love to get my hands on that code.

Golly, what a poorly-conceived idea. I suspect jshack puts more thought and care into even the tiniest of Enhanced Steam details than Valve have with this tagging thing.

I'm actually disappointed in this whole "tag" thing, and wish that someone at Valve would have reached out to me at some point during their conception process. I've had a similar feature (for tagging DLC) for almost a year now. I feel like I could have offered some valuable insight into rolling this feature out as-is.

On another note, I just had ES tally up the approximate worth of my undropped cards: $67.89. obamanotbad.jpg

Backlogger

Badge pages will show the average cost of completion, and if you have card drops remaining, will show the approximate worth of those cards.

Brilliant. You are thinking of features before people even realize they need them.

Edit: This isn't far off for me:

2014-02-12_2106.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Joke tags shouldn't go away and people should lighten up. The tags aren't going to be ever useful and you're crazy if you think tagging things "singleplayer"/"multiplayer"/"FPS"/etc. is gonna help with finding things when the entire catalog/store is finally tagged like that.

Frankly, the meme/joke tags means if someone hears "Nanomachines, son" and they (hopefully Valve lets you custom-text search...) look for that tag, they get Metal Gear Rising from the get-go easily.

Also Hotline Miami's devs/publisher is into it, so it can't be all that bad for publishers if someone tags their games as shit.

Though, I'll admit some tags do need moderation for obvious reasons. But if someone tags your game as "crap," "shit," whatever PG-13 tags here? Deal with it. That's what they think.

zkylon

zkylewd
Joke tags shouldn't go away and people should lighten up. The tags aren't going to be ever useful and you're crazy if you think tagging things "singleplayer"/"multiplayer"/"FPS"/etc. is gonna help with finding things when the entire catalog/store is finally tagged like that.

Frankly, the meme/joke tags means if someone hears "Nanomachines, son" and they (hopefully Valve lets you custom-text search...) look for that tag, they get Metal Gear Rising from the get-go easily.

Also Hotline Miami's devs/publisher is into it, so it can't be all that bad for publishers if someone tags their games as shit.

Though, I'll admit some tags do need moderation for obvious reasons. But if someone tags your game as "crap," "shit," whatever PG-13 tags here? Deal with it. That's what they think.
holy shit dude love your gaf tag

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Wunderbar. I made it to the Ice Caves in Spelunky. I died instantly from an alien knocking me back right at the start into the bottomless pit, but still I'm getting slightly better!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So Strider is out tomorow right guys? Right? Please? :(

I have no idea what the release date is, I just want it :(

textonly

Neo Member
I reckon there will be some sort of Valentine's Day promotion on Steam, at least for Dear Esther. Dear Esther was released on 14 Feb 2012.

If you share this new App ID through twitter, you will see
From @steam_games: Valentine's Day advertising app on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/281710/

Edit: Also I found these games got updated at a similar time, could be relevant.
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Toki Tori 2+
  • 7 Grand Steps
  • Gone Home
  • Long Live The Queen
  • The Novelist
  • Thirty Flights of Loving
  • Dear Esther

Just finished the Eldritch expansion, and the last bit of Dragon Age Origins DLC (Bless you Family Sharing for allowing me to not drop a bunch of money on Bioware bucks!).

Eldritch is good stuff. The back half of the expansion was an interesting change of pace.

Dragon Age Origins is still super great. Leliana's Song and Witch Hunt were good bits of story. The only dangerous thing is that now I'm looking at the Dragon Age 2 DLC stuff, and wondering if I missed anything there (other than the character DLC. I have no plans to replay 2). Anyone play any of that?

Oh also Descent. That was a big game of my childhood, and I was pleased to find my muscle memory was still there. I had to tweak the controls, but other than that I'm glad to be playing it again. With that, Commander Keen, and Oddworld Abe's Oddysee all on Steam, the only hold out from my PC gaming childhood is Jazz Jackrabbit. One day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom