• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sini

One thousand hours of playtime is nothing.
One of my good friends has this many hours of TF2:
6UlaM.jpg

Saty

I tagged HL games as 'Mute Protagonist'. Now i'm thinking about starting tagging FPS games with '2-Weapon Limit'. Did so for Infinite.

Have people started tagging 'Dead bodies fade\don't fade away' and 'Can\can't mutilate dead bodies'? Those are a must.

Arthea

In the end, none of us are ever going to compare to this guy.

pic

*dies laughing*
damn this guy has some standards.

Legend (King's Bounty) is tagged fairly well:
buy it, thank me later
long
overwhelming value/ dollar
addictive

other tags make less sense (><)

I'm going to start tagging everything with Aerith.

Don't do this, and it's Aeris.
ya, I went there

Resident Evil 5 has the best Steam page tags I've seen so far.

I'm inclined to agree

Arthea

Tags that we all knew would happen:
not early access
bears
dog
buyer's remorse
one more turn
better than lol
sleep loss
anti-life

and they did

I think tags will be a lot like how Greenlight was when it was first introduced, once everyone has their laughs it will smooth itself out.

I surely hope so, and it's beta, so most likely Valve will change it somewhat over time.

Turfster

They don't want to give Valve a cut of their profits and push their own DD store.

I'm liking origin more and more these days, At least EA knows what a DD store is supposed to do unlike Valve.

You're not in Europe, are you?
Because fuck EA and their "Oh here's a 1% sale on 10 year old games AREN'T WE NICE AND GREAT"

Arthea

They don't want to give Valve a cut of their profits and push their own DD store.

I'm liking origin more and more these days, At least EA knows what a DD store is supposed to do unlike Valve.

care to explain? What DD store is supposed to do that Valve doesn't do?

Hasney

You're not in Europe, are you?
Because fuck EA and their "Oh here's a 1% sale on 10 year old games AREN'T WE NICE AND GREAT"

Christ, I know. EA Download Manager had better sales. hell, they even gave Burnout Paradise away free one Christmas back then!

Wake me up when Origin has in-home streaming. It's too much of a fanny about to get Origin games working on it through Steam.

I reckon there will be some sort of Valentine's Day promotion on Steam, at least for Dear Esther. Dear Esther was released on 14 Feb 2012.

If you share this new App ID through twitter, you will see

Edit: Also I found these games got updated at a similar time, could be relevant.
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Toki Tori 2+
  • 7 Grand Steps
  • Gone Home
  • Long Live The Queen
  • The Novelist
  • Thirty Flights of Loving
  • Dear Esther

All Visual Novels should get a discount in Valentine's day.

Skyblue

Banned
care to explain? What DD store is supposed to do that Valve doesn't do?

Lets see.

Pricing in my currency and not us dollars.
Lack of community, its a store after all not somewhere you hang out.
No pushing of Indie, early access games that I don't agree with
Far more responsive and faster client then steam.
Proper offline mode, steam's offline mode never worked me.

I guess there's more but I'm too sick atm to type much.

Lets see.

Their store is nice and I also, for some reason, get about twice as fast download speeds from Origin than I do on Steam.

Arthea

Lets see.

I think, that all pricing has to be done in one currency and exactly the same for all the globe. That's fair, anything else is just levels of injustice.
you kidding right?
what's wrong with pushing indie games? these are games, and these are sites that sell games.
Client could be better
offline mode works for me *shrugs*

All Visual Novels should get a discount in Valentine's day.

That would be nice! Also I wouldn't mind some gifts too
oh, and while we are at it, more Sega games (><)

You probably should try a better download mirror, because I actually use Steam download bitrate as my internet connection speed benchmark. :D

To be fair, steam download speed used to be better even a year ago. It's not bad or anything, just it used to be better.

Arthea

To be fair, I'd gladly take no community over Steam community.

Oh c'mon, it's not all bad, there is moding community, there is gaf community, etc.
It has to be hyperbole on your part, no?

I kinda of agree/disagree with this.

You see, that's what I don't believe, regional pricing doesn't help with piracy problem, not really. And doing regional pricing sooner or later hurts some, it always does.
gog gets it.

good luck with that

Copons

I think, that all pricing has to be done in one currency and exactly the same for all the globe. That's fair, anything else is just levels of injustice.

I kinda of agree/disagree with this.

I believe that differentiating prices for different regions is (could!) be a good practice, especially in helping out poorer countries or in thwarting piracy in others (AKA selling more there). So for example, lower prices in random never-heard-before-Latin-American-caraibic-paradise-with-zero-money-power or in Russia and co., it seems totally fair to me.

What smells like ass-raping is when they convert 1:1 from USD to GBP and/or EUR. Purchasing power is pretty much the same, but on this side of the ocean we always have to pay more than our bald-eagle-bros. Why, oh why? (Of course this doesn't apply to Steam only, but to basically every good sold worldwide)

Also I would like to remind everyone that in the last 20 or so years Italy has constantly been on the verge of bankruptcy, so Gaben please, move us out of EU2 and put us in RU/CIS/TF2keys region, thank you!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do I do that?

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download Region. While Steam will use servers in the selected location (or the server you've selected in particular) where possible, it'll silently switch to to a different server if the requested data isn't available. This behaviour is what necessitated such utilities as Steam Limiter.

Copons

You see, that's what I don't believe, regional pricing doesn't help with piracy problem, not really. And doing regional pricing sooner or later hurts some, it always does.
gog gets it.

good luck with that

Would you please stop back-quoting me? It makes me think I'm going backwards in time! :D

Anyway, I've never noticed how GOG handles it, so I assume it has a single price for everybody.

Fact is that when it comes to piracy, everything becomes foggy. There are lots of opinions, but it seems that there never is a "scientific"/correct answer.
So it's just a matter of try and fail and try again, hoping that eventually something will work.

In Italy, where piracy is still huge, I've noticed a somewhat healty change of pace with the introduction of both viable and easy alternatives (like Spotify) and, earlier, with foreign stores with super cheap prices (like Play.com and later Amazon).
This said, I guess that, at least here, lower prices worked fine.
So, from a (educated) publisher point of view, it could be worth trying cutting prices in regions where they have to strongly fight piracy, while keeping standard prices in regions where buyers just buy no matter what.

Knurek

Oh c'mon, it's not all bad, there is moding community, there is gaf community, etc.
It has to be hyperbole on your part, no?

Remember last few sales that had community choices? Remember all those good games losing to popular repeats?
Have you actually tried reading posts on game forums? Especially newly released ones?
Also, look at Greenlight - where it's more probable to have your run of the mill Slender clone proof of concept accepted than things like Mutant Mudds or Gunman Clive (both of which were already released on consoles).
Need I go on?

Arthea

Would you please stop back-quoting me? It makes me think I'm going backwards in time! :D

Anyway, I've never noticed how GOG handles it, so I assume it has a single price for everybody.

Fact is that when it comes to piracy, everything becomes foggy. There are lots of opinions, but it seems that there never is a "scientific"/correct answer.
So it's just a matter of try and fail and try again, hoping that eventually something will work.

In Italy, where piracy is still huge, I've noticed a somewhat healty change of pace with the introduction of both viable and easy alternatives (like Spotify) and, earlier, with foreign stores with super cheap prices (like Play.com and later Amazon).
This said, I guess that, at least here, lower prices worked fine.
So, from a (educated) publisher point of view, it could be worth trying cutting prices in regions where they have to strongly fight piracy, while keeping standard prices in regions where buyers just buy no matter what.

sorry, I'm trying not to get on the wall of shame again (><)

yup, gog doesn't have regional pricing.

I more mean Russia, piracy is still huge there, it's not about prices, it's about mindset.

Remember last few sales that had community choices? Remember all those good games losing to popular repeats?
Have you actually tried reading posts on game forums? Especially newly released ones?
Also, look at Greenlight - where it's more probable to have your run of the mill Slender clone proof of concept accepted than things like Mutant Mudds or Gunman Clive (both of which were already released on consoles).
Need I go on?

But it's like throwing away an apple, because it can be rotten inside.
All your points are true, and community voting can be a very frustrating thing. But you surely can see positive things too. I read some forum posts, yes, when I have problems with games not running on win 8, for example and you are exaggerating.
Of course in huge community like this, shit happens every second. It's still not all rotten.

Copons

sorry, I'm trying not to get on the wall of shame again (><)

yup, gog doesn't have regional pricing.

I more mean Russia, piracy is still huge there, it's not about prices, it's about mindset.

True, but when it comes to piracy, you can't just change the mindset because reasons, you have to educate buyers, starting with providing functioning alternatives that in the long run can achieve that change. Full prices aren't an alternative, they just are the way it is now. Lowering them may not be the answer to every problem, but could be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom