• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

SteamGAF, any recommendations for headphones? Let's say the budget tops at ~200 dollars. I've tried doing some searching but I see a ton of recommendations for headsets, which, when I asked before, I was suggested to stay away from.

Don't mean to sound like I can't think for myself, but I trust you guys :D

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 regularly goes on sale for $100 or less ($85 was the lowest last I checked). If you want CSD plots and some subjective thoughts: http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=46.0

hohoXD123

SteamGAF, any recommendations for headphones? Let's say the budget tops at ~200 dollars. I've tried doing some searching but I see a ton of recommendations for headsets, which, when I asked before, I was suggested to stay away from.

Don't mean to sound like I can't think for myself, but I trust you guys :D

What sort of features are you looking for? Closed? Open? Mic/no mic? I'm currently rocking the Sennheiser HD558. They've been awesome so far, extremely comfortable and sound is great. It's within your budget so I'd recommend them if you don't mind sound leakage and lack of a mic.

Levyne

Banned
The Audio Technica ATH-M50 regularly goes on sale for $100 or less ($85 was the lowest last I checked). If you want CSD plots and some subjective thoughts: http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=46.0

Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion! I have budget for a more expensive set but maybe I should grab these and look into a dedicated soundcard instead.

What sort of features are you looking for? Closed? Open? Mic/no mic? I'm currently rocking the Sennheiser HD558. They've been awesome so far, extremely comfortable and sound is great. It's within your budget so I'd recommend them if you don't mind sound leakage and lack of a mic.

I don't mind sound leakage. I was thinking of just grabbing a separate mic like this or something.

dani_dc

Maybe this was posted already:

If the game has "Third party DRM: Steam" on the store page, then they give you a steam key

Worth noting that Resident Evil 4 is now up for pre-order on GMG.

Only if SMT4 gets announced for Europe.

Shibata can't destroy my hopes again, can he?

Soooo, no second weekend deal?

We usually get two deals, so they just lumped them into this 'challenge'. .

maybe the second is The Witcher franchise?

Probably no second weekend deal cause it looks like we'll be getting a mini-sale tomorrow.

hohoXD123

Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion! I have budget for a more expensive set but maybe I should grab these and look into a dedicated soundcard instead.

I don't mind sound leakage. I was thinking of just grabbing a separate mic like this or something.

Fair enough then, in that case yeah I would suggest looking into the HD558s. I've had them for the past few years with no problems. I would have recommended the HD598s but apparently the difference between the two is minimal for the price and the HD598 sound can be mostly replicated with a slightly modded HD558. You should also note that the cable is pretty damn long.

zkylon

zkylewd
DLOZoxy.jpg

The steam tags are my new favorite things

lol well done

Acccent

Hm, I'm about to get the new humble weekly sale bundle, but I'm only interested in 7 Grand Steps really and own most of the other games. I'd gift them but the humble pages state that "Steam will not provide extra giftable copies of games you already own; all purchases are for your personal use only." Does that mean that I won't get an additional key when buying the bundle right now?

JakeD

there seems to be a pretty mixed reception to the Witcher 2 combat rebalance mod...but most of that feedback seems to be based on an early release of the mod. has anyone tried the FCR2 1.2? would you recommend it to someone playing through for the first time?

got about 3 hours into witcher 1 and quit on it, didn't have strong opinions on the combat either way

does it really? judging by the trailer, the rotational concept seemed pretty neat, but the main character's movement looked bad. Also I'm not sure I'm a fan of puzzle platformers in general (I only liked Papo & Yo and ICO, but that was only for either the atmosphere or characters respectively).

I really enjoyed the WiiWare version *shrugs*.

Anteater

there seems to be a pretty mixed reception to the Witcher 2 combat rebalance mod...but most of that feedback seems to be based on an early release of the mod. has anyone tried the FCR2 1.2? would you recommend it to someone playing through for the first time?

got about 3 hours into witcher 1 and quit on it, didn't have strong opinions on the combat either way

on default difficulty, the FCR2 mod makes it pretty easy and the combat was pretty simplistic and shallow, I didn't mind it because I only wanted to go through the story, I have never played the vanilla though.

Levyne

Banned
I only played Witcher 2 after the rebalance was out. The combat wasn't stellar but it didn't hinder from the other strengths of the game. I'd say "functional" but even that seems too harsh. It was good if not memorable, I suppose.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Now that OMG Zombies! is out I guess I can post my impressions.

I just finished OMG Zombies! fellow GAFfers:

MsjGnBm.png

IiIQAbk.png

What it started to be a basic and simple point and shoot-to-kill started to become more and more addictive as you played and unlocked new levels.

The game offer you 100 levels and you unlocked them as you go through them. When you clear a level a percentage will show on how many of them you killed/were left to kill. It is wise to always aim for the 100% as you will want it to unlock further levels. At the start this is going to be very hard, the reason is, you only have 2-3 bullets to shoot and not only they do low damage but the Zombies are on level 1. You can level up you enemies, yes. The more you level them up the more splash damage they make or the bigger the impact is, etc. Different zombies have different effects. The can blow up and and provide a chain of explosions, shock others, melt as they walk by, shoot others (some of the zombies have a pistol or a assault rifle) and so on.

You will repeat earlier levels but this time you will be more prepared once you start to level zombies up (or your gun, or making barrels more powerful). Because the gameplay mechanics are rather simple and easy getting into this game it shouldn't be a problem but it can become more and more addictive because I found an odd satisfaction with the fact that, with just a single bullet I can kill them all from all those reaction shots and other effects from the zombies.

The time to completion I posted above was gameplay only. No idling. Took me that time to finish all the 100 Levels at 100% in every single one of them, and it was worth it. The only achievement I have left requires a major grind and time spent in the game.

Regarding the ending you can have more than a different ending and you can have a" good" or a "bad" one. The Story itself is presented in a Comic Book style which is a nice thing. As for the price it's a no-brainer (eh!) specially with a 20% OFF with Achievements (and Cards too!). If there's any question, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.
As always, apologies for the low grammar vacabulary.

Thanks. Really glad you liked it so much :)

Also thanks to everyone on here (lurkers included) who helped on the beta. I think we doubled the number of beta testers after I posted in here so it did make a big difference and we really appreciated it.

I'm calling it quits with Bridge Constructor, but what an experience. For a cheap port of an ios game, I've gotten more out of it then I could have ever dreamed.

bridge_by_intheflorsh-d76b15z.gif

If it's ever a dollar, buy it.

sorry, probably old but just incase, re the LOS2 surprise Cox teased.

https://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/433500117900222464

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

ToraShiro made hints about MoF becoming a preorder bonus for the PS3 version. The guy who mentioned the "surprise" was apparently just confused about platforms. We'll find out tomorrow if that's true...

They made an achievement for failing that spectacularly?

I got the tanker to the other side, therefore I succeeded.

Dolor

I'm kind of wondering if Valve expected these kind of results from the new tag system. After the greenlight issues, you would think they would have learned that the users will do all sorts of inappropriate things when given the option (most don't, but there are so many users, that the few ruin it for the many).

Maybe I am giving the guys at Valve too much credit, but they seem too smart for this (just finished watching hours of Steam Dev Days videos). I could see them preferring to do this as a first step (i.e. give us too much rope) so that when they inevitably rein it back in, we will all understand why.

Just a theory.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe I am giving the guys at Valve too much credit, but they seem too smart for this (just finished watching hours of Steam Dev Days videos). I could see them preferring to do this as a first step (i.e. give us too much rope) so that when they inevitably rein it back in, we will all understand why.

Just a theory.

Interesting theory, but generally speaking it's always easier to give your customers more features, rather than take things away. Sure, we'll all understand why they're taking it away, but it would still make more sense for them to offer less functionality in the beginning rather than offering more now and taking some away later. The people who are doing the inappropriate things will see this as a bit of direct attack and will also be the users who complain the loudest when the feature is "reined in".

The people working at Valve are smart (some of the best) but I think they have a problem interacting with and getting to know their customers.

Ugh fuck, I pasted the wrong key lol, already have To The Moon.

If someone else wants TTM, quote this and thank Benedict for the original giveaway.

Cheers Bene!

I haven't played TtM. If you still have it, I'll take it. I want to play a game that makes me cry

Thanks for the giveaways, Benedict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom