• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it turns out serviceable, I wouldn't mind playing through for the environments and story/music, which has been the highlight of the first for me (on the last chapter).

Turfster

So I just discovered that on the "recommended for you page", Valve didn't add the Yes/No icon, so everything I warned people away from is 'recommended'.
Volvo, pls.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It seems you can no report inappropriate tags

XbcAOQ5.png

YOfNNNo.png

Tellaerin

So I just discovered that on the "recommended for you page", Valve didn't add the Yes/No icon, so everything I warned people away from is 'recommended'.
Volvo, pls.

Yeah, I noticed that the other day, when I saw that the top two "recommendations" I got were Stump and Cheddahz more or less saying, "Stay far away from this game if you value your sanity".

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just signed in and found out I won Dear Esther from Accent! Thank you so much!!

Also I just finished Papo & Yo and holy crap did that get dark quick. I didn't care about the characters at all until the revelation that
Monster was his father all along and all those actions as Monster were euphemisms for his abusive behavior
. Poor Quico. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense to me (
like the slow motion car sequences, what the lemons represent (hookers? and did he sexually abuse Alejandra?)
), but I'm sure if I look at it again I'll understand. I did find the narrative pretty disjointed and weird (like I had no idea how to reconcile Alejandra's behavior to Quico). The actual mechanics of the game were mediocre. Puzzles weren't very difficult at all, platforming was sloppy but serviceable enough. The atmosphere was great: all those high-rise buildings and chalk drawings and the way things unfolded. Really imaginative. That aesthetic really compelled me to finish the game whereas the characters and plot for the most part didn't. I just wanted to see the next area. The frame rate was pretty wonky, but that might just be because I'm playing at the lowest settings because my computer is shit and not a gaming pc. Moving the camera around always made it chug, and it's not like I could avoid moving it around.

All in all, I'd recommend it. It's short enough to finish in a day and I'm sure puzzle platformer fans would find it up their alley.

I think I'm not really a fan of puzzle platformers in terms of mechanics. The things that really compel me to finish them are either the characters (ICO), the atmosphere (Papo & Yo), and/or the plot I guess. Even in the games I liked, I had to take frequent breaks because I kind of got tired of playing it. I'm kind of disappointed, because I like puzzles and I like platformers. You'd think this genre and I would hit it off straight away, but I guess not. Oh well...

kuYuri

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rome: Total War -- MB-02778C5C76F6952F - Taken by Kirosia

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
How come the first two Metal Slugs aren't on steam? Seems random to just put part 3.

Metal Slug 3 is the most popular and best selling of them all, so its an easy test game to see if the others are worth bringing over.

I wish Metal Slug 1st Mission and Metal Slug 2nd Mission would be released somewhere though. I liked having different paths to take through stages, but it needed more buttons for weapons than what the Neo Geo Pocket Color provided.

The Steam front page featured section is hilariously awesome right now (to me, anyway):

Call of Duty: Ghost - Huge budget AAA
Morph Vox Pro Voice Changer - Voice obfuscation software
Descent - 3D space shooter from 1995
Blazblue - Anime-styled fighting game
DayZ - Open world early access multiplayer
Dream - Indie exploration
South Park - RPG based on a 16 year old cartoon
etc.

What a nuts-o dichotomy of different stuff, all in the spotlight on the front page. What a cool, weird time.

derExperte

That tag is pretty much the reason why opening tagging to users is a good thing.

If it's not misused by people without a clue. For example Kingdom Tales does not belong there. Many idiots will just look at the screenshots, make assumptions and then tag away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom