• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.9. The change log for this version includes:

• Added a link on user profiles to their wishlist
  • Added back the achievement section to app pages that Valve mysteriously removed
  • Added sorting options to achievement pages, and the ability to sort by date unlocked
  • Added option to hide all Early Access games on the homepage and search results
  • Added badge completion and value of card drops to badges page based on avg card price
  • Added badge page sorting option to sort by highest estimated drop value
  • Added Enhanced Steam features to Steam Tag pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused hiding DLC for unowned games not to work under certain circumstances
  • Fixed homepage "Featured" section being incorrectly sized due to layout changes
This update should apply itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. And just a heads up, I'm working on porting some of these features over to Firefox soon.

Apparently my remaining drops are worth $75. Not bad.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
It sunk like a rock. Still, what a bizarre situation.
Helped it out there a bit, but I'm sure the momentum will keep up.

Dunno if I want to start playing The Witcher... Can anyone tell me what exactly I'd be getting into if I tried it? I know basically nothing about it or its series other than people are hyped for the third one.

Dunno if I want to start playing The Witcher... Can anyone tell me what exactly I'd be getting into if I tried it? I know basically nothing about it or its series other than people are hyped for the third one.

Dwarf cock.

I still have to play the first, but the second is a fantastic RPG.

Levyne

Banned
Helped it out there a bit, but I'm sure the momentum will keep up.

For some reason, The Witcher (1) reminded me of the Knights of the Old Republic games in terms of setup. Like, you have an area with people and smaller quests and you branch out from there to more "dungeon-like" zones to complete them, pick up a few new ones, complete a main story-thread of an area, and you are moved linearly to another "zone" where you repeat only the stakes are higher. I'm sorry if that is vague, it has been a long while since I've played and can't be more specific.

For the combat, I just remember it being very click-y and strongly dependent on item use.

I was considering replaying the games before Witcher 3 but I think I might just play 2, since the original might just seem too dated.

Khronico

I really, REALLY liked the story, characters, and world of the Witcher, but I can't seem to enjoy the combat at all. I get how it works, but it's just not fun for me.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason, The Witcher (1) reminded me of the Knights of the Old Republic games in terms of setup. Like, you have an area with people and smaller quests and you branch out from there to more "dungeon-like" zones to complete them, pick up a few new ones, complete a main story-thread of an area, and you are moved linearly to another "zone" where you repeat only the stakes are higher. I'm sorry if that is vague, it has been a long while since I've played and can't be more specific.

For the combat, I just remember it being very click-y and strongly dependent on item use.
I've never played KotOR so I'm afraid that analogy is lost on me. :\ So the story isn't very cohesive and uniform, and is more like broken up into discrete chunks? That kind of gameplay doesn't sound super appealing to me... Is it strategic do you think?

And is 2 dependent on 1, story wise?

fantomena

I can't believe how some people are using 10+ hours on Alpha Protocol. Im on my last location (Tampei) and only played for 4 hours.

Also, it is easier to kill enemies by beating them than shooting them.

Scipius

Another little something:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Scipius, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

1953 -- MB-39E982A5F3586A85 - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.

t1392439399z1.png

Valdis

Is it me, or is this game absurdly difficult. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and not only can I not come close to an S ranking on any of the bosses, but I flat out cannot beat the two eyes. Playing as a melee reina. I am at level 20, so no more grinding levels,. I find the magic casting to be very clumsy and the controls in general to be challenging, even after moving the cancel skill button to the right bumper. ugh. fun game, but hitting major roadblocks. maybe I'll start a game as wyatt.

Copons

I've played just the first one and I loved it.

As I can't remember shit (in my life in general, but it applies to games too :D ), I'll roughly translate from Italian a review I've written on my site a couples of years ago.

The Witcher takes the same old RPGs, with their endless quests involving exterminating boars and fetching salad, and adds:

1) Fanciful quests like investigations where you have 10 suspects, you search for clues, you interrogate them but you have to avoid telling them "it was you motherfucker!!" - like I did, always - because they could be helpful during the ongoing investigations but then you upset them and if you ask them for help they answer "AHAHAHA FUCK OFF".

2) Everything you do scrambles your entire quest log.
Like, you delivers a chicken wing to an NPC and he says "YOLO" and "YOLO" was actually a keyword that allowed you to go to the next step in other 18 quests.
So, at first you're overwhelmed by the absurd amount of stuff you have to do, but soon you learn that everything is somehow interconnected and you're all laughing out loud.

3) There aren't stats. Or, better, there are, but no one tells you about them, they're there, silent, you can't see them, you don't care about them.
When you pick a weapon, it says "Damage: it's up to you", or "Damage: somewhat", or "Damage: YOLO", so in fact you just equip the sword with the coolest name and that's it.
Not that there are that many swords around. Or at least, the world is full of swords, but it's always the same Temerian Steel Sword everywhere, that probably it was a super cheap deal in your local Walmart.
Just saying: the Temerian Steel Sword sucks balls, but as second or third sword, it could be fine.

4) The combat system is merry and cheerful, but overall, it's different than the usual!
I've said "second or third sword" because Geralt is like Roronoa Zoro from One Piece, in that it uses three swords. The steel one for common people, the silver one for monsters and other weird stuff, the Temerian Steel Sword just because reasons.
Every weapon can be used in three different combat styles: tough guy / quick shot / full fledged orgy, depending on what you have to face at the moment.

5) Tutorial sucks. You suddenly are in the middle of lots of stuff going on and my old crappy computer started skipping 59 frames every 60 because it felt was ok to start the game at 4K with AA 100x and tsunamis of anisotropic filters. So I played the tutorial without understanding anything at all, I saved, I quit and I didn't play for like 3 weeks, they I launched the game again and I was all "WTF?"
But seriously: at first you're really on your own. After the tutorial you're in this huge place (well, not that huge, but full of people, that in RPGs is way worse!) and you feel lost and moist like a newborn chick, and it takes some time to get accustomed to the setting, but then again, maybe it's me that I'm agoraphobic.

6) There are themes way more interesting that the usual save the world from the dark bad guy. You can make love, just to say one.
And there's racism everywhere, like humans hates everyone else, dwarves are a bit in the middle of everyone businesses, elves are like terrorists who make stuff explode because they suffer all that hate speech against non-humans, but then some dwarves and some elves are like "eh, but isn't this too much maybe?", so hell, it's a complicated situation.
And there is corrupted religion, like witch hunts, pedophile priests, and everything the catholic church has taught in the last several centuries.
And then there is the dumb people (you recognize them by the little name on their head, like "Poor Man", or "Poor Woman", or "Poor Boy", etc.) that's really really dumb.

7) The world here is dirty and smells a lot. It reminds my neighborhood when the garbage trucks skip a couple of shifts.
And it's beautfiul, because it's beautiful - and refreshing - every now and then, to see the Middle Ages depicted as the Dark Ages where everybody suffered because reasons, instead of the over-polished fantasy worlds of the average RPG.
Just saying, I still don't know how to make money, so I'm poor like every other NPC, and I spend days stealing strawberries from the inn, selling them back to the innkeeper himself.

So, I didn't want to write all this stuff, but then I wrote it, and it means that The Witcher really left a mark on me. So, hey, I guess I'm recommending to everyone here! Go buy/play it ASAP!

Hope I've been of some help! :)

EDIT:

So the story isn't very cohesive and uniform, and is more like broken up into discrete chunks? That kind of gameplay doesn't sound super appealing to me... Is it strategic do you think?

And is 2 dependent on 1, story wise?

Story is cohesive and uniform, but the game itself is split in several (5 IIRC) chapters, completely separated between them, as in: once you go to chapter 2 you can't go back to chapter 3.

Being an action RPG, there isn't a lot of strategy involved in the combat, except using the right sword for the right enemy or drinking the right potion.

Witcher 2 is dependent on 1. I've yet to play TW2, but there are plenty of recurring characters and stuff, so maybe even if there wouldn't be any problems story wise, I'd play TW1 just to be sure to understand even the tiniest detail of the lore.

kurahador

IWitcher 2 is dependent on 1. I've yet to play TW2, but there are plenty of recurring characters and stuff, so maybe even if there wouldn't be any problems story wise, I'd play TW1 just to be sure to understand even the tiniest detail of the lore.

You'll be disappointed.

Alot of the story elements from Witcher 1 are reduced to a Journal entry or lines of dialogue unless it has a significant to the main plot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Valdis

Is it me, or is this game absurdly difficult. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and not only can I not come close to an S ranking on any of the bosses, but I flat out cannot beat the two eyes. Playing as a melee reina. I am at level 20, so no more grinding levels,. I find the magic casting to be very clumsy and the controls in general to be challenging, even after moving the cancel skill button to the right bumper. ugh. fun game, but hitting major roadblocks. maybe I'll start a game as wyatt.

Parts of it are really hard. Wyatt is a little easier but not significantly. I ended up restarting it thinking the same thing but then lost my save file and played as Reina and I think it was experience that made me better more than the character being easier because I destroyed bosses with her that I strugged against using Wyatt. I also found it helpful to just dump every skill point into the red tree. Even when you know the enemy patterns I felt there were a lot of hard to avoid attacks, killing them quicker was always better than trying to survive for me.

Since when does exiting Steam causes the game to exit as well? It use to give an error message saying that the game must be closed before Steam could exit, but now I have been able to exit Steam and it would close down DiveKick or A Valley Without Wind.

Copons

Indeed :) Copons' sense of humour and idiosyncratic way of expressing himself is always a delight <3.

HOW DARE YOU??

<3 you two EDIT: I mean you and the other compliment earlier :D

You'll be disappointed.

Alot of the story elements from Witcher 1 are reduced to a Journal entry or lines of dialogue unless it has a significant to the main plot.

Ah!
Mine was just an assumption made by the first couple of minutes after the tutorial (basically: what I managed to play on my old PC at 640x480 with barely readable texts :D ), where you have the red headed gal and other people I obviously forgot.
So, I guess the references are relegated in the very first part of the game and then fuck it. Oh well, at least my damaged memory won't be such an issue when I'm finally gonna play TW2!

kafiend

There was someone in here the other day saying they had an invalid key for Prey.

I had the same thing and raised a ticket with Steam support. They asked me to attach a picture of the back of my manual showing the key and a piece of paper showing my support ticket number on it. They just activated the game direct to my account.

Good times. I'll never play it of course...

There was someone in here the other day saying they had an invalid key for Prey.

I had the same thing and raised a ticket with Steam support. They asked me to attach a picture of the back of my manual showing the key and a piece of paper showing my support ticket number on it. They just activated the game direct to my account.

You should if you haven't before, it's pretty decent and very short.

Seriously, as much as I like seeing new consoles and new IPs, looking through Steam, why the hell would anyone get a next gen consoles when 99% of the "new" games are already on PC? Or coming to PC?

LocoCycle, AC4, Awesomenauts, Contrast, Don't Starve, Outlast, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Rogue Legacy, TitanFall, etc.
Child of Light, Daylight, Hyper Light Drifter, Hotline Miami 2, Mighty No. 9, No Man's Sky, etc.

The games of both next-gen consoles, able to bought for a fraction of the price, on a single far more versatile platform

Save for Infamous, and the inevitable Uncharted and God of War games, there's no reason at all to get a PS4 ever. And that's coming from someone who's been loyal to Sony since the PS1 era. PC is by far the best gaming platform

Teknoman

Grief will come back soon enough.

I've never understood how people that seem cool enough end up getting banned out of the blue... Unless it has something to do with off topic side.

Seriously, as much as I like seeing new consoles and new IPs, looking through Steam, why the hell would anyone get a next gen consoles when 99% of the "new" games are already on PC? Or coming to PC?

LocoCycle, AC4, Awesomenauts, Contrast, Don't Starve, Outlast, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Rogue Legacy, TitanFall, etc.
Child of Light, Daylight, Hyper Light Drifter, Hotline Miami 2, Mighty No. 9, No Man's Sky, etc.

The games of both next-gen consoles, able to bought for a fraction of the price, on a single far more versatile platform

Save for Infamous, and the inevitable Uncharted and God of War games, there's no reason at all to get a PS4 ever. And that's coming from someone who's been loyal to Sony since the PS1 era. PC is by far the best gaming platform

Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The games of both next-gen consoles, able to bought for a fraction of the price, on a far more versatile platform

99% of western games, at any rate.

It was Deques but he posted later to show that he had resolved it :).

Sorry Deques, I don't know your gender for sure and don't wish to assume :).

catabarez

Exclusives yo. Only reason I ever buy a console.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

You will never, ever get a Nintendo game on PC, unless you're emulating it.

Seriously, as much as I like seeing new PC upgrades and new IPs, looking through the console libraries, why the hell would anyone get a new PC when 99% of the "new" games are already on console? Or coming to console?

It works the other way too. There are good reasons to own everything, the only real limiting factor is money.

Giever

Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III.

I feel like I read somewhere that dudes are at least considering a PC release for FFXV if there ends up being enough demand for it. Or rather, they're not 'ruling it out'. It's a long ways away though, so who can say?

derExperte

I've never understood how people that seem cool enough end up getting banned out of the blue... Unless it has something to do with off topic side.

Sometimes you post something that is harmless on any other day, the thread escalates and *bam*.

The Order 1866 could end up being great. Other than that and Infamous there's nothing interesting going on right now, true. But it adds up after a while, when I bought a PS3 in 2010 it had enough exclusives to justify the purchase. PS+ helps too, if I keep that going (which I'll have to as long as I own a Vita) I should've accumulated a nice libaray in 2016 or so. There'll always be games like LBP, Resogun, Puppeteer, Journey, Beyond Two Souls etc that I want to play but can't get on PC.

Teknoman

I feel like I read somewhere that dudes are at least considering a PC release for FFXV if there ends up being enough demand for it. Or rather, they're not 'ruling it out'. It's a long ways away though, so who can say?

Oh man, if that happened...all i'd need is Metal Gear Solid V PC. Really would like to see alot more recent JRPGs released on PC.

But yeah, exclusives for consoles, PC for everything else.

It works the other way too. There are good reasons to own everything, the only real limiting factor is money.

Sometimes you post something that is harmless on any other day, the thread escalates and *bam*.

The Order 1866 could end up being great. Other than that and Infamous there's nothing interesting going on right now, true. But it adds up after a while, when I bought a PS3 in 2010 it had enough exclusives to justify the purchase. PS+ helps too, if I keep that going (which I'll have to as long as I own a Vita) I should've accumulated a nice libaray in 2016 or so. There'll always be games like LBP, Resogun, Puppeteer, Journey, Beyond Two Souls etc that I want to play but can't get on PC.
All true. It's kind of weird actually since I've been primarily a console gamer for 15 years. And I'll probably get a PS4 in two or three years for whatever exclusives are out by then. But now that I'm all into PC gaming, and really I see only advantages in regards to the state of PC vs next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom