• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Big thanks to Knurek for gifting me Gun Monkeys! The game looks really cool, hopefully I'll find someone to play with. Maybe we could make a little GAF tournament, like the one we never did for L4D2 :p

On an unrelated note, is Enhanced Steam for Opera 12 not working? Since yesterday none of its functions are showing on my browser, be it highlighting owned games or showing lowest prices.

How is Nox and MoH: Allied Assault? Both are on sale on GOG.
MoH:AA is my favorite war game ever. The soundtrack is top-notch, and the gameplay is very fun. That said, it can be a bit frustrating at times, especially when it comes to stealth levels (whoever thought this was a good idea was wrong) or sections with respawning enemies. If you're willing to put up with those things, the rest of the game is fantastic.

And don't listen to people when they say the
sniper town
level is bad. I loved it!

Levyne

Banned
Nox is pretty damn fun! I played through that so many times as a kid. I probably has a ton of nostalgia for it though, and haven't played it in awhile. Some interesting locales and monsters and it's cool to watch your character go from fledgling warrior/conjurer/mage to a bad ass over the course of the game.

Anyone here have a Surface Pro 2? Have one arriving Monday and was just wondering about experiences with steam and what games can actually run on a Intel HD 4400. Obviously getting it more for school and the size than gaming, but it'd be a nice extra.

Does anyone know where to get a genuine 360 wireless adapter? All I can find online are knock-offs.

My adapter finally died, but frustratingly, I have no idea why. It simply will not power up when plugged into any usb port.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Does anyone know where to get a genuine 360 wireless adapter? All I can find online are knock-offs.

My adapter finally died, but frustratingly, I have no idea why. It simply will not power up when plugged into any usb port.
Interestingly, I've heard that the knock off is the better product in this case.

Levyne

Banned
I've heard the knock offs work fine but I got my official one on amazon. Seems like you cant trust any of the listings there anymore.

Actually how can I be confident my isn't a knock off..

eek5

Is XCOM + EW gonna get cheaper? I've been interested in it for a while. Don't have time to play it now though (for more than an hour or two).

Cheapest it's been so far separately is 6 and 10 so this is the cheapest the two have been together. It's easily worth $15 imo!

I've heard the knock offs work fine but I got my official one on amazon. Seems like you cant trust any of the listings there anymore.

Actually how can I be confident my isn't a knock off..

Official one has a fuse that blows out pretty easily (not sure if they ever fixed that in a revision or anything) so both could be hit or miss. I'd just go with a knockoff personally.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
On an unrelated note, is Enhanced Steam for Opera 12 not working? Since yesterday none of its functions are showing on my browser, be it highlighting owned games or showing lowest prices.

Aye, it no longer seems to be working. Tried it on a couple different computers today and no go.

Hopefully we can figure some way to get the basic 1.1 version features back.

Arthea

I'm liking what they've shown us of Woolfe so far.

That looks really good, gonna keep an eye on it.

Anyone have any impressions of 7 Grand Steps? It seems like my kind of game, but I've never heard of it.

In theory it sounds cool and I thought it's my type of a game too, I bought it last year, played about 2-3 hours and never went back, it's kinda boring. I think I played 3 generations and it's basically more of the same, granted you train more skills and get different, but board part remains the same, and for me it was not fun even at the start. But I remember that someone liked this game, so it might be just not for me.

Is Fallen Enchantress pretty good? It looks like Civilization set in a fantasy world.

It's good, but it's not like Civilization, if even it might seem so. If I had to compare it, it is somewhat like Eador.
Keep in mind, that you wanna buy Legendary Heroes, because they make game better.
It has tactical grid combat, resources management, city building and sidequests. There is a lot of combat, that's why I say it's nothing like Civ.
The game has not very well thought interface, it annoys and takes time to get used to.
But all in all it's a good game.

edited: I just noticed that Legendary Heroes aren't discounted at all. So, I would wait for discount on that.

lords of shadow kind of reminds me of the first devil may cry somehow, so much running around doing pointless annoying shit.

you pain me, what you call pointless annoying shit... is what an adventure is about. I think that the first DMC is the better game than all later ones because they shifted heavily from adventuring to pure action.

Levyne

Banned
Oh, it turns out mine is a knock off. Haha. Well, it works. Every once in awhile is doesn't want to sync but a reset takes care of it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anybody know if I can use streaming to stream from my Windows desktop to a laptop running Linux? Seems like it should work.

I haven't used streaming yet but I'd like to try to see how well it works for me.

Technically, anything that runs the Steam Client can stream to anything else. In other words, Windows, MacOS and Linux all work*.

However, streaming FROM Windows seems to be the less buggy one. Doesn't matter to where you'll stream it to: Be it Windows, Linux or MacOS.

*Android doesn't count.

Stuff
ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition -- MB-02C01E97CD0D97A0 - Taken by scorpscarx

Cheapest it's been so far separately is 6 and 10 so this is the cheapest the two have been together. It's easily worth $15 imo!

Official one has a fuse that blows out pretty easily (not sure if they ever fixed that in a revision or anything) so both could be hit or miss. I'd just go with a knockoff personally.
Hmm, must be that then, as the damn thing won't draw any power at all, even from a power adapter for my phone or tablet.

Welp. Guess it's time for a knock-off or to get my DS4 working with the PC.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Your adapter blew a "protection" fuse (that apparently blows for no reason at all). It's hard to replace (because it's so small) but you can plop down a glob of solder (bypassing the fuse) and it'll work.

Sure, you're risking frying your USB port, but since you're not constantly plugging it in and out your computer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Knock Offs, on the other hand, work without an issue and I've never heard of a knock-off stop working (probably because they don't have the fuse).

Either buy a fake one (which is what everybody does. My fake one has been going strong for 4 years now) or fix yours following this guide: http://replayproject.wordpress.com/...x-360™-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-windows®/

I fixed one of my originals (i sent the other one to a friend) and it's still working. However, it sits most of the time on my drawer, as I have no use for it since I bought the fake one (before fixing it). A lot of gaffers fixed theirs as well, and it has been discussed in numerous threads, including earlier versions of this one. afaik, nobody ever reported a problem with fixed adapters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I really, really liked LocoCycle. It was a fun game. Clearly I'm in the minority as people in here have already shit on the game or described it as self-evidently terrible (I'm assuming they played the Xbox One version) but I really liked it.

Just to get this out of the way -- I don't recommend the game to you or to anyone because I'm in the minority on it. A lot of people didn't like it. The core gameplay loop is pretty shallow (you get a shallow spy hunter clone, a button-mashing brawler element, some analogue stick rail shooter sequences, and then a few other surprises that I won't spoil here. Here's a screenshot of a late game boss fight if you REALLY want to spoil yourself, but if there's any chance you are going to play the game at all, this is an awesome surprise so don't spoil it.). So if you're looking for a deep, replayable game, it's not here. Despite per-level leaderboards and a score attack element, I don't think people will be coming back to this.

However, I found the game consistently funny (lots of puns, lots of deadpan humour, tons of reference humour, lots of great visual gags in the gameplay, it's so hilarious), it was always introducing new enemy types and patterns so that any shallowness in the gameplay was made up with sort of consistently new things, there are so many different gameplay genres including the second last boss fight which basically made me drop my jaw when it happened I couldn't even believe it. I thought the 30+ minute long B-movie that provides the game's live action scenes was funny and enjoyable. I thought the audio was excellent, with great performances by the Prague Symphony Orchestra. It ran well on my computer, it looked great in a cartoony way in motion (not so much in screenshots). As with every Twisted Pixel game, there are hundreds of unlockable concept art bits, pitch videos, production shots from the live action movie, and historical stuff--including a sneak peak at their next game which seems to me to be ambitious. I think the game succeeds at what it sets out to do.

It took me about 4-4:15 to finish the game with all upgrades, A grades on most levels, 17/20 achievements, and look through all the concept art and stuff. This is not a long game. But I feel absolutely like I got my money worth out of it. I'd place it above Comic Jumper in execution, and personally I was pretty burned out by the end of Ms. Splosion Man. I liked Gunstringer and the Maw more. I continue to think that Twisted Pixel is an interesting studio doing interesting work and I'm glad they're around. While I think LocoCycle worked, I hope their next project manages to find the right balance between core gameplay that appeals to other people and their own unique style.

I uploaded 40-ish screenshots. I put spoilers on most of the later game or live action shots.

P.S. Double Helix did the Xbox One and PC ports. The game has a 32-bit DX9 version and a 64-bit DX11 version. I don't have a DX11 video card, so I played the DX9 version.

In summary
rmaGPYB.jpg

Turfster

I really, really liked LocoCycle. It was a fun game. Clearly I'm in the minority as people in here have already shit on the game or described it as self-evidently terrible (I'm assuming they played the Xbox One version) but I really liked it.
It's on my "pick up when 75% off" list.

Your adapter blew a "protection" fuse (that apparently blows for no reason at all). It's hard to replace (because it's so small) but you can plop down a glob of solder (bypassing the fuse) and it'll work.

Sure, you're risking frying your USB port, but since you're not constantly plugging it in and out your computer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Knock Offs, on the other hand, work without an issue and I've never heard of a knock-off stop working (probably because they don't have the fuse).

Either buy a fake one (which is what everybody does. My fake one has been going strong for 4 years now) or fix yours following this guide: http://replayproject.wordpress.com/...x-360™-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-windows®/

I fixed one of my originals (i sent the other one to a friend) and it's still working. However, it sits most of the time on my drawer, as I have no use for it since I bought the fake one (before fixing it). A lot of gaffers fixed theirs as well, and it has been discussed in numerous threads, including earlier versions of this one. afaik, nobody ever reported a problem with fixed adapters.
Cheers for the info!

Just to get this out of the way -- I don't recommend the game to you or to anyone because I'm in the minority on it. A lot of people didn't like it. The core gameplay loop is pretty shallow (you get a shallow spy hunter clone, a button-mashing brawler element, some analogue stick rail shooter sequences, and then a few other surprises that I won't spoil here. Here's a screenshot of a late game boss fight if you REALLY want to spoil yourself, but if there's any chance you are going to play the game at all, this is an awesome surprise so don't spoil it.). So if you're looking for a deep, replayable game, it's not here. Despite per-level leaderboards and a score attack element, I don't think people will be coming back to this.

However, I found the game consistently funny (lots of puns, lots of deadpan humour, tons of reference humour, lots of great visual gags in the gameplay, it's so hilarious), it was always introducing new enemy types and patterns so that any shallowness in the gameplay was made up with sort of consistently new things, there are so many different gameplay genres including the second last boss fight which basically made me drop my jaw when it happened I couldn't even believe it. I thought the 30+ minute long B-movie that provides the game's live action scenes was funny and enjoyable. I thought the audio was excellent, with great performances by the Prague Symphony Orchestra. It ran well on my computer, it looked great in a cartoony way in motion (not so much in screenshots). As with every Twisted Pixel game, there are hundreds of unlockable concept art bits, pitch videos, production shots from the live action movie, and historical stuff--including a sneak peak at their next game which seems to me to be ambitious. I think the game succeeds at what it sets out to do.

It took me about 4-4:15 to finish the game with all upgrades, A grades on most levels, 17/20 achievements, and look through all the concept art and stuff. This is not a long game. But I feel absolutely like I got my money worth out of it. I'd place it above Comic Jumper in execution, and personally I was pretty burned out by the end of Ms. Splosion Man. I liked Gunstringer and the Maw more. I continue to think that Twisted Pixel is an interesting studio doing interesting work and I'm glad they're around. While I think LocoCycle worked, I hope their next project manages to find the right balance between core gameplay that appeals to other people and their own unique style.

I uploaded 40-ish screenshots. I put spoilers on most of the later game or live action shots.

P.S. Double Helix did the Xbox One and PC ports. The game has a 32-bit DX9 version and a 64-bit DX11 version. I don't have a DX11 video card, so I played the DX9 version.

In summary
rmaGPYB.jpg

loving the summary...

Backlogger

Wow, breaking my dreams thrice. Thanks GAF!
Moving to my next question:

Does these work on W8.1 ?

Yes Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection does work on W8.1, at least for me.

I haven't had any problem with any games running in W8 or 8.1 that also ran in 7. I know some people have, but I think its not W8 by itself that is always the issue.

I haven't installed or tried all 17 games, but I know the first 1 works.

Better to test yourself rather than ask I have found. A lot of W8 haters will say things don't work in W8 whether they have tried it or not.

Pakkidis

here ya go.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pakkidis:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

And yet it moves -- MB-7559313910D05E05 - Taken by VikasNarula. 1 entrants total.
Luxuria Superbia -- MB-24C8C396503E3F65 - Taken by Alessandro. 27 entrants total.

t1392506632z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is that Luxuria game in any bundle, im seeing alot of it in giveaways

Still blows my mind that Double Helix was bought by amazon, they were really starting to come around in terms of respectability. Suppose that could continue.

Lain

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.9. The change log for this version includes:

• Added a link on user profiles to their wishlist
  • Added back the achievement section to app pages that Valve mysteriously removed
  • Added sorting options to achievement pages, and the ability to sort by date unlocked
  • Added option to hide all Early Access games on the homepage and search results
  • Added badge completion and value of card drops to badges page based on avg card price
  • Added badge page sorting option to sort by highest estimated drop value
  • Added Enhanced Steam features to Steam Tag pages
  • Fixed a bug that caused hiding DLC for unowned games not to work under certain circumstances
  • Fixed homepage "Featured" section being incorrectly sized due to layout changes
This update should apply itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. And just a heads up, I'm working on porting some of these features over to Firefox soon.

This update is great. I just checked and it told me I have 126€ worth of card drops to find. If only I wasn't a lazy ass

Cheddahz

Banned
Well, I was just about to buy Arkham Origins and I see that the developers aren't planning on patching the game anymore. Is it still worth $12?

JakeD

Well, I was just about to buy Arkham Origins and I see that the developers aren't planning on patching the game anymore. Is it still worth $12?

i got it when it was $40 and enjoyed it quite a bit. id say i liked it more than City. the combat is a little tougher but more satisfying. story is better too IMO. i also never experienced any serious bugs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Origins shares too much in common with City for me to really believe one person hating one and loving the other. The whole trilogy is good stuff in my book and I can't wait for more.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to grab Thirty Flights of Loving with card money. I'm afraid it may be a waste of free cards, since it's supposed to be extremely short. I mean, I kinda enjoyed Gravity Bone, but there's a small difference between "completely free" and "free, but I could have used that freeness to pick up another game instead".

What I'm trying to say is I don't know if I'll regret getting it. Oh well, he who doesn't risk doesn't win, or something like that, so here goes nothing. *Adds to cart*

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
All aboard the dynastic murder train, CHOO CHOO.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GuardsmanGreg, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Crusader Kings II Collection -- MB-77B174A560073F1C - Taken by Aitor. 24 entrants total.

t1392511133z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom