• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Witcher 2: Definitive Edition Giveaway

:eek: Your generosity never ceases to amaze, Dupy. From what I've heard, you're going to make five people here very happy. (I still need to get around to actually playing it myself. Promised myself I'd finish the first one before playing the second, and I've barely started the first... yeah, probably gonna be awhile yet. >.> )

Garcia

Omg Dupy you were right! Everyone chose No.4 (like I did before I read your reply). LOL

Great giveaway anyway.

Btw, guys, everyone should go and play "The Plan" right now. It's less than 8 minutes long and it strangely hits some deep chords. I went from "this is so pretentious" to "...Oh wow, nice." in no time, lol.

Terra_Ex

Bit late with this response, but anyway.
I probably still have my Divinity save so I'll try to hop back in.

Why is Avernum better? I'm 4 hours into Avadon and want to continue, but the story isn't really the reason, I just like the slow pace and heavy dialogue it's a nice change of pace from other games, so if Avernum is better I'll probably grab that in the next sale.
Where Avernum falls down for me is party interaction, since you create the entire roster of characters, there's no inter-party banter or interjection. For some people that's a plus, but for me, if I'm gonna have a party of player created characters that can't talk to each other, I'd rather go with the Geneforge approach of giving the player command of an army of monsters. Letting the player create the entire cast is generally my least favourite approach to crpgs and its why I'd always take a Baldurs Gate type approach over Icewind Dale's.

Still, each to their own, but if you want of a party of characters with predefined personalities (aside from the protagonist of course), appreciate party member interjection and a fairly linear adventure, Avadon would be my suggestion. Avernum and Geneforge are certainly far less linear than Avadon and you'll probably feel you're making more of a mark on the world with those two than in Avadon. (Not sure if this holds true with Avadon 2 as I'm playing through it right now.)

If a slow pace and heavy dialogue are your primary criteria then any of Spiderweb games would suffice, imo. They all cater to slightly different tastes and excel in different areas, play them all is my suggestion, I wouldn't say any of them are definitively better than the others.

And great giveaway for a fantastic game, Dupy. I double dipped on the Steam earlier today to complement my GOG and retail versions.

The_Monk

Btw, guys, everyone should go and play "The Plan" right now. It's less than 8 minutes long and it strangely hits some deep chords. I went from "this is so pretentious" to "...Oh wow, nice." in no time, lol.

Already did fellow GAFfer. Finished it today and, at the end I
wrote:

Not all who wander are lost.
:p

Copons

Oh god I've been playing Sonic & All Starts Racing Transformed for several hours now and it's really really really extremely unconceivably more-than-mariokartily good!

When I unlocked Vyse from Skies of Arcadia I swear I shed a couple of tears.

But aside from that, it's incredibly refreshing, after 20 years of stale same-old Mario Kart stuff, with almost always the same everything going on (and maybe this was the reason why I loved Double Dash so much), to race in original and super nostalgic - the other
dark
side of my youth, but a big part of it nonetheless - tracks with zero coherence between them, because fuck it, it's a nonsense feel good crazy party racing, who cares about coherence?

It plays great, single player is pretty hard and it gives all the good ol' vibes of the main themes of the genre (presents, boosts) adding the great concept of transformation - both of the vehicles and of the tracks themselves! - that everytime makes me running like hell because I can't wait to get another flying section.

Also, I can't believe they got away with something like the Football Manager playing character (I mean, how cool can he be!?), but also stuff from less famous Sega titles, like Skies of Arcadia for starters, but Panzer Dragoon and Samba de Amigo were unexpected too!

FloatOn

Just did some jolly co-op with a steam bro in dark souls
for 3 glorious hours

it's still a good video game you can play guys. I'm now even more hyped for dark souls 2. I didn't know such a thing were possible.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Omg Dupy you were right! Everyone chose No.4 (like I did before I read your reply). LOL

Great giveaway anyway.

Check your PMs.

Is there a way to unsubscribe from Steam threads you have started? I keep getting notifications.

Open subscriptions -> hit the check box at the right of the thread you want -> use pull down menu at the bottom to either delete subscription or adjust notifications.

binary

Dear Leader was kind enough to gift me Psychonauts a few days ago so I'm returning the favor. I absolutely loved the game and I feel a duty to spread the love!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Costume Quest -- MB-99F1A20EDAA0D715 - Taken by Garcia
Psychonauts -- MB-DA4CE58C639D3381 - Taken by cardinalmind

So basically Lord of Shadows hits its stride by the time you reach Wygol Village and the Abbey in Chapter 5. Or it did for me anyways.

There's not a lot about Lord of Shadows that screams Castlevania. Mercury Steam had such a rich history to mine from, there's over twenty games in the Castlevania series, 8 hours in to the LoS campaign and there really hasn't been anything truly evocative of that legacy. The enemies in LoS so far have been fairly limited to generic fantasy and horror archetypes; trolls, goblins, ghouls, lycans, spiders and vampires. I think what makes the enemy variety feel really limited is the fact you'll really only face one or two types of enemies across a chapter. And then the only thing to differentiate enemy types in a chapter are the sizes that the enemies come in. Small, human-sized and then the ones you can mount. I liked that they threw out a reference to Symphony of the Night in the LoS 2 demo. That made me grin and I hope that that isn't where the classic 'Vania references and influence ends.

The realm of the lycans felt like a misstep with its weird take on Agartha and it's awful Shadow of the Colossus inspired boss fights. It started off so strongly in that village where you protect some villagers and fend off a Warg and then kind of goes off on this weird bright looking fantasy tangent. The realm of the vampires instantly felt more thematically appropriate starting off with you staring down some frozen vaguely eastern European style village huddled on a mountain-side under the shadow of an ominous looking castle. Lord of Shadows finally started to feel vaguely like a Castlevania game.

Garcia

Thanks for Costume Quest binary!

And to the one who got Psychonauts: You will fall in love with that game. It is one of the most charming platformers out there and one of my favorites.

FloatOn

Yeah, no. If it takes that long, I'm not even going to try continuing at a later time.

and people give me shit for not trying the rest of the assassins creed series after completing the first one.

it's pretty mind boggling that lords of shadow is so offensive to some that they can't hack the first few somewhat boring hours.

binary

You're welcome, Garcia! The only downside to Costume Quest is that it's over too soon. Make sure to play the Christmas DLC once you're done with the main story.

Turfster

and people give me shit for not trying the rest of the assassins creed series after completing the first one.

it's pretty mind boggling that lords of shadow is so offensive to some that they can't hack the first few somewhat boring hours.

They're not only boring, they're derivative and worse than the games they copy from. Also buggy as hell.
I was excited for it, and wanted to give it a chance, but after spending hours doing the same fucking shit over and over again, I was done. My time is worth more to me than that.

Garcia

More Sid Meier goodies:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meier's Railroads! -- MB-473B08E393654489 - Taken by KenOD. 4 entrants total.
Civilization IV: The Complete Edition -- MB-19DE24D093E0DD3E - Taken by topyy. 1 entrants total.

t1392516038z1.png

FloatOn

They're not only boring, they're derivative and worse than the games they copy from. Also buggy as hell.

I didn't experience any bugs on my end. I've also had the good fortune of not playing every god of war or devil may cry game so when I got around to lords of shadow I wasn't already burnt out on the genre.

once I had both light and dark magic going the combat seemed to have a surprising amount of depth in how you went about recharging meters.

Yeah, no. If it takes that long, I'm not even going to try continuing at a later time.

Drop it down to easy. You were having trouble with the combat if I recall correctly, you can get away with a lot more mashing and enemies go down a lot faster on the easiest difficulty. That's what I did, it's not something I often do but I bought this damned game full price so I'm going to finish it.

The one thing that bothers me about LoS combat is you can't animation cancel into a block, so you have to be kind of careful with the combo's you want to throw out because you can't interrupt your attack animation. Also enemies aren't always put into a stagger/stun state when you're directly attacking them so they can attack you mid combo and you come back to the same issue, you can't animation cancel so you just eat damage every now and then.

]and people give me shit for not trying the rest of the assassins creed series after completing the first one. [/B]

In their defense, the gameplay changes from AssCreed 1 > 2 is pretty staggering.

tookhster

Playing Alan Wake for the first time(lol), and I'm really digging this video commentary option while you play. I wish more games had this. It's not frequent enough to distract me from the game and the segments are short and to the point.

Nabs

Playing Alan Wake for the first time(lol), and I'm really digging this video commentary option while you play. I wish more games had this. It's not frequent enough to distract me from the game and the segments are short and to the point.

Remember to disable the hud. Also, the bonus DLC levels are hidden in chapter select. Check those out once you finish the game.

Tenrius

I'm pretty much in the same place in regards to LoS, but I haven't given up on it entirely. The visuals are remarkable and the gameplay, while admittedly bland, is still somewhat salvageable. I think I'll give it another go a bit later.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

If the game is extremely boring for hours since the beginning, I don't see much point in continuing to play it. If the devs wanted me to play the part where it gets better, then they should have made it start from there. Or at least allow me to skip that and save those 4-5 hours of my time.

In their defense, the gameplay changes from AssCreed 1 > 2 is pretty staggering.
AC2 is the opposite, where it starts really strong and becomes mind-numbingly boring and repetitive at the 10 hours mark. Then it becomes a matter of persistence, and the only reason I kept playing is because I decided I'd finish it no matter what.

Tenrius

AC2 is the opposite, where it starts really strong and becomes mind-numbingly boring and repetitive at the 10 hours mark. Then it becomes a matter of persistence, and the only reason I kept playing is because I decided I'd finish it no matter what.

I had a similar experience. ACIV is pretty much the same way, sadly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had a similar experience. ACIV is pretty much the same way, sadly.
And it's a damn shame, because it was very solid up until that point. But what came afterwards soured me on the experience so much that it made me hate the whole game, despite having liked it a lot at first. These games seriously need someone to sit down and trim all the fat, repetitive missions and pointless travelling through (and inside) cities. Not to mention that the mandatory fetch quest near the end of AC2 felt like a personal insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom