• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio

omg, so tempted to enter, I have a game, but nothing else. What to do?

Is it just one key? If not, we can team up, I take the base, you get the rest.

0aj56fi.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
With hope this key works.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Try some bread fruit next time, it's wonderful in a salad.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Blood Of The Werewolf -- MB-9E9BDA9F971BE816 - Taken by Kuroyume. 16 entrants total.

t1392512798z1.png

I really, really liked LocoCycle. It was a fun game. Clearly I'm in the minority as people in here have already shit on the game or described it as self-evidently terrible (I'm assuming they played the Xbox One version) but I really liked it.

Thanks once again. Not really the game I expected until I read your thoughts.

Also this:

stumpsdirtyjobs58jmp.png

I played through Batman Arkham Origins without issue. I put 30 hours into the game, didn't encounter a single progression stopper in my playthrough of the regular campaign and have completed almost every activity there is to do outside of Anarchy tags and the Arkham plaques (or whatever). I haven't tried New Game+ or the I Am The Night difficulty that you unlock after New Game+ so maybe there's some issues you only encounter in those difficulties. I don't really know what issues people have encountered that they're upset about a lack of patches and fixes.

I got it for free with my gpu, dumped 30 hours into game and had a great time with it. I'd easily argue that Origins is my favourite game in the Arkham trilogy. I bought the season pass during the winter sale and can't wait for the story based DLC. If it's 12$ somewhere, I'd say Origins is easily worth it.

Been putting more time into Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, think I'm getting to the tipping point where I'm starting to enjoy the game. It took roughly 6 hours and getting to the 4th chapter. I know that Lords of Shadow isn't the first action game to require you to purchase and unlock combos but I think it was a serious mistake by Mercury Steam to include this kind of artificial progression in their game. This isn't Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, the combat in LoS isn't even as complex as what you find in God of War, it's really basic and simplistic. Even when you've unlocked a decent amount of whip combos it's still fairly limited but combat is at least a little bit more enjoyable when you've got a little move variety to throw out in the fights.

derFeef

I really, really liked LocoCycle. It was a fun game. Clearly I'm in the minority as people in here have already shit on the game or described it as self-evidently terrible (I'm assuming they played the Xbox One version) but I really liked it.

The more you know. I really liked it playing at that event I was, but that only was a slice of the game. I could see Twisted Pixels mistakes shining through tough.

Monotonous design, levels are too long, the humor can be either terrible or good, depending on the person that plays it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I was just about to buy Arkham Origins and I see that the developers aren't planning on patching the game anymore. Is it still worth $12?

There was a previous thread on the announcement, wherein it appears that the 360 version of the game seems to be the version that still has game breaking issues.

But generally, only if you have played the previous ones and are experienced with the combat mechanics. If this is your first foray into the series you really should start with Asylum or City as the developers assume the player already knows the advanced move-set from the previous games.

I picked it up at around $9 US if that is any indication. But if you can wait, the previous two entries have ended up being bundled in GOTY packages for around $7.50 US each during the various Steam/Amazon holiday sales.

Dec

Well... been playing Neverwinter and Dota in my game time exclusively and I'm itching for a game I can actually complete.

Top options are probably:

Avadon
Divinity 2 (got 2/3rds done but that was a few years back, need to restart)
The Raven (big Agatha Christie fan but haven't played much since some technical issues were bugging me when I first got it, that seem to have been resolved now)
Sacred 2
Valdis Story
Ys 2

I know I will enjoy any of these, just having that problem where I want to play them all but can't decide where to start, so I just play more Dota.

tookhster

Splinter Cell Blacklist is 14.99 at GameStop. It's Uplay only, but still a great deal.

Went ahead and bought it yesterday. From the 3 hours I've played so far, it's amazing. Looks great, too.

But holy shit Uplay is horrible. First of all, it took me like 20 hours to download the game from them, which was ridiculous considering my download speed. The download would just die off and freeze every now and then. Second of all, Uplay keeps trying to install the same patch over and over every time I run the game. I have to quit the patch installation in order to play the game. It's dumb.

Tenrius

Well... been playing Neverwinter and Dota in my game time exclusively and I'm itching for a game I can actually complete.

Top options are probably:

Avadon
Divinity 2 (got 2/3rds done but that was a few years back, need to restart)
The Raven (big Agatha Christie fan but haven't played much since some technical issues were bugging me when I first got it, that seem to have been resolved now)
Sacred 2
Valdis Story
Ys 2

I know I will enjoy any of these, just having that problem where I want to play them all but can't decide where to start, so I just play more Dota.

Play Divinity 2. Don't restart, just take a while to remember where you were at. And again, I'd suggest picking Avernum: Escape from the Pit over Avadon. It's just superior.

Went ahead and bought it yesterday. From the 3 hours I've played so far, it's amazing. Looks great, too.

But holy shit Uplay is horrible. First of all, it took me like 20 hours to download the game from them, which was ridiculous considering my download speed. The download would just die off and freeze every now and then. Second of all, Uplay keeps trying to install the same patch over and over every time I run the game. I have to quit the patch installation in order to play the game. It's dumb.

The auto patcher is buggy. You need to download some patches manually. Then, you can let it auto-update to the latest version.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/787183-PC-Version-Auto-Patch-Installer-Issue

Dec

Play Divinity 2. Don't restart, just take a while to remember where you were at. And again, I'd suggest picking Avernum: Escape from the Pit over Avadon. It's just superior.

I probably still have my Divinity save so I'll try to hop back in.

Why is Avernum better? I'm 4 hours into Avadon and want to continue, but the story isn't really the reason, I just like the slow pace and heavy dialogue it's a nice change of pace from other games, so if Avernum is better I'll probably grab that in the next sale.

I've only played this out of your list. It's pretty short, around 10-15 hours depending on if you are trying to collect everything and your difficulty. I thought it was easier than Ys I and I played both on Nightmare.

I intended to start Ys 2 right after I finished 1, but it was during the summer sale last year and I got hooked into another game and never returned. I will for sure finish it at some point, and my excitement is high because it seems to be an improved Ys I, hopefully with a better final boss lol.

Miguel81

Uplay is a piece of shit that has no reason to exist. It's just another stupid layer of DRM, since most of their sales are probably through Steam.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

It's actually three different patches. But the real criticism is why they aren't already included in the initial download as the complete game as Steam routinely provides. This is especially egregious as Ubisoft is both the developer/publisher of the game and the sole operator of Uplay unlike Steam which is a third party provider for over 95% of it's catalog.

The criticisms of the download quality are accurate in my own experiences though.

zychi

Banned
since this is my favorite thread on gaming side. any steam threaders want a xbone code for titanfall beta? i realize its a diff system, but i have been unsuccesful in trying to sell the one i have and figured i'd give it to a fellow steam thread follower.

first one to pm me can get it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I intended to start Ys 2 right after I finished 1, but it was during the summer sale last year and I got hooked into another game and never returned. I will for sure finish it at some point, and my excitement is high because it seems to be an improved Ys I, hopefully with a better final boss lol.
The boss for Ys II is easier than Ys I I feel. The game is all around easier because you can heal in boss fights. If it helps, it gives some closure to I.

Quixzlizx

In theory it sounds cool and I thought it's my type of a game too, I bought it last year, played about 2-3 hours and never went back, it's kinda boring. I think I played 3 generations and it's basically more of the same, granted you train more skills and get different, but board part remains the same, and for me it was not fun even at the start. But I remember that someone liked this game, so it might be just not for me.

Thanks for the impression.

For fucks sake, looks like Kickstarter had a security breach and is asking everyone to change their passwords.

I guess I should really check that one password thing now.

kurahador

Well, I was just about to buy Arkham Origins and I see that the developers aren't planning on patching the game anymore. Is it still worth $12?

The only serious bug I encounter was at the end-game QTE sequence where if you're playing with kb/m, you won't be able to finish the game. There's a fix on community steam page though.

Otherwise the game is playable, and IMO alot better than Arkham City---better story, better boss fights & better side missions. Sad that the game is less polished than AA/AC and it's pretty telling.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hey guys. Out of town this weekend but I have time for a quick raffle. Saw a good opportunity for a great game. See below...

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Witcher 2: Definitive Edition Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition #1 -- MB-79221A2DE610839B - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition #2 -- MB-DB9F0742A1E38FFD - Taken by Nabs. 4 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition #3 -- MB-E33DDE49624ED875 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 2 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition #4 -- MB-542E6447EB545605 - Taken by Gez. 7 entrants total.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition #5 -- MB-5EAFD92D03371DAD - Taken by Kirosia. 1 entrants total.

t1392512617z1.png

Leg-End

Great giveaway!

The Witcher 2, still not finished it myself, I'm trying to draw it out to keep the wait for Witcher 3 as short as possible.

Radio

Witcher 2: Definitive Edition Giveaway

Great giveaway. I would enter, but I already have a non-Steam copy, and I'm one day into an epic card earning and selling quest to buy the Steam version. Winning it in a giveaway would be too much of an M. Night Shyamalan twist ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom